Build 310 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    It also conveniently hides whether or not the system is working. I knew hive 1.0 was flawed because my score fluctuated from 700 all the way up to 1900... If we can't see our scores how will we ever know if hive 2.0 is actually "better" or not...
    Why would hiding it be "convenient"? It would be super inconvenient. After asking around a bit, I think the plan has changed and there will be some website for hive2, just not ready yet.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    (2) Yea it messes with my head every time the rifle reloads because not only is he using the wrong hand but that side of the gun does not even have the part he is pulling back because it is only on the left side of the model.
    That is incorrect. Rifle butt and you'll see the charging handle on the other side as well.
    If you look at it in viewer.exe you can see it there too.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    hairguy wrote: »

Edit: You know what.. It doesn't matter anymore. I'm fed up with this extremely toxic community of elitist snobs. Have fun with your shit one sided games and your 3k pro's dominating entire teams of 1k skill casuals.. Have fun insulting and taunting anyone who isn't as pro as you are. I hope all you elitist dicks burn in hell. This community was so great when I first started playing, it's sad to see the cesspool of shit it's become.

elitist snobs? i was in the game where everyone was flaming you. They told you a million times to ignore the gorge in the vent and push out, but you spent the whole fucking game in the vent trying to kill the gorge and rebutted with some fucking egocentric reply like 'i want to play the game how i want to play it, not how others want me to play it'.

Yeah im glad people like you leave ns2, makes it easier to teach the rookies when there's one less retard spending 20mins crouching in 1 spot trying to kill a hydra'd,clogged up gorge in a vent.

Says the elitist asshole who bitches NONSTOP about his team sucking.

You personally attacked me with insults like 30 seconds after i joined the server.. Which you've done on multiple occasions.

Toxic elitists like you are why NS2 is dead.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016
    RIP NS2.. I'm out.. Rejoice Assholes. (mods you can just delete my forum account)

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

(And see you when you come crawling back)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Alright.. enough of the mud slinging fellas.
    Keep it on topic (the patch) or have your post removed and other subsequent actions.
  • BobbyWasabiBobbyWasabi Join Date: 2016-10-13 Member: 223091Members
    edited October 2016
    I need to be nicer to others in future, and stop evading my ban.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    While I do think separate alien and marine skills would increase quality of games, it would not fix stacked teams. It does not fix the root issue of too small a playerbase with too wide a skill gap.

I really want to see separate marine and alien skill values, but it has some serious implementation issues. With our current shuffle system players would be forced to play one team more often than the other. I personally find that unacceptable. Right now shuffle puts you on a team randomly, separate skill values would not be random. Hopefully a system can be thought of where that doesn't happen.
  • barniebarnie Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220695Members
    Since you said tracking separate skill values would be simple to add to hive2 maybe it could be implemented and run alongside the combined skill.
    Then the separate data could be made available to be used by shine so we can experiment with new algorithms through plug-ins.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The best way to handle hive2 skill indication would be to make it visible to the player, but not other players.

And also remove the last digit or two.

I use hive skill as feedback to rather or not i'm getting better, as I try new things, at least having it visible to me would ensure I can use that feedback, without making it a dick measuring tool

What i think could work is make it similar to overwatch, give the player a number that goes up or down after every round, only he can see it.
    When checking hive give the players a rank, lets say 0-500 is skulk, 500 - 1000 is gorge ... all the way to lets say onos to all 2500+.

It gives players something to work for or feel like they are improving while not really giving the player much information.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Does this mean they're going to fix the skulk tongue animation reset when jumping
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having some other thing shown besides hive skill is not a new idea. I have worked before on the idea to substitute hive skill with ranks. These are the ranks I came up with. % of players is the percent of players that fall into that skill range. % of games is the percent of games played where the average server skill is in that skill range.
    unknown.png

I prefer ranks based on player percentages because it spreads out the ranks a bit better, as opposed to 28% of players being rank 3. These skill ranges were based on Hive 1. I expect with adagrad in Hive 2 these skill ranges will move around. I would need to update them when the data becomes more solid.

What I have shown here is only half of an idea and only 1% of the work required to get it in game. How would this be implemented? I don't know.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Nordic I don't understand why you'd substitute Hive score for a rank. It doesn't help the confusion of the people you constantly berate for likening Hive score to an achievement or 'their bank account'. I don't think Hive score should be hidden and actually I don't think it should be called 'Score' either, as that also has connotations of it being a reward for performance.

We should utilise a players 'Level' far more than just for keeping them in/out of Rookie servers. Combat did it a similar way and it was good. Every 10 levels can be a new rank, the community could suggest names/emblems.
    edited October 2016
    Foxy wrote: »
    @Nordic I don't understand why you'd substitute Hive score for a rank. It doesn't help the confusion of the people you constantly berate for likening Hive score to an achievement or 'their bank account'. I don't think Hive score should be hidden and actually I don't think it should be called 'Score' either, as that also has connotations of it being a reward for performance.

We should utilise a players 'Level' far more than just for keeping them in/out of Rookie servers. Combat did it a similar way and it was good. Every 10 levels can be a new rank, the community could suggest names/emblems.

I like what you said about how it should not be called hive score. I don't call it hive score. I have been very consistent calling it hive skill values.

I agree with this except for not hiding hive skill. I don't think substitution solves the problem. I brought that up in my last post to add to the conversation.

As much as I think hive skill values should be hidden, I also have an open mind. I may be wrong. People are talking about substituting hive skill values in this thread. I have thought about this subject before. Maybe if I share what I have on the subject someone could make an interesting point or do something with it. Nothing may come from what I have added to the conversation but I won't know unless I share.

I especially agree that player level, not hive skill values, would be a better fit for a progression system.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    A Public "score", "skill", or "rank" is VERY helpful. Seeing and average team skill of 900 on both teams and seeing an average team skill of 1700 happens on the same server within hours of eachother... They play very different and one should know what he is walking into. In addition knowing that a player is 3500K on a team with an average of 1000, leads to specific play styles that are necessary to counter (parasite and avoid).

However the current Hive Scaling is TERRIBLE!!! 1-5,000??? WTF can we get a reasonable metric? Try dividing everyone skill by something like "30" and rounding. That 3K player becomes a level 11, that 1.2k player is a level 4, and that 1800 player is a level 8....
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Axe animations are spot on!
    I can feel the straining of my muscles as it pulls out the axe from the back of the onos :D
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    First they came for the Skulk-hitboxes, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Skulk.

Then they came for the Fade-hitboxes, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Fade.

Then they came for the Onos-boneshield, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not an Onos.

Then they came for my skill rank—and there was nothing of me left.
  • SnXSnX Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180145Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2016
    I need stats or I won't survive. Connect Hive 2 to scoreboard please for the time being. Let the community vote on it what to do with it.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    CmdrKeen wrote: »
    First they came for the Skulk-hitboxes, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Skulk.

Then they came for the Fade-hitboxes, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Fade.

Then they came for the Onos-boneshield, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not an Onos.

Then they came for my skill rank—and there was nothing of me left.

Why didn't you say something when this all first started with health bars? Oh yeah right, the health bars helps with your marine aiming. You reap what you sow. :D
  • AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    edited October 2016
    Here is a real question: we all know elo is life. how am i supposed to see my life now that i cant c my elo anymore? Gimme a replacement pls. some cool stats and stuff.
    SnX wrote: »
    I need stats or I won't survive. Connect Hive 2 to scoreboard please for the time being. Let the community vote on it what to do with it.
    The stats aren't going away. If you look at the UWE trello there are several plans to show you all sorts of individial stats.
    https://trello.com/c/g3pyx1bK/301-post-round-stats-progression-ui
    https://trello.com/c/dkPRYR0M/75-per-lifeform-level-progress
    https://trello.com/c/ANNzqXfN/56-exp-progress-bar-tied-with-hive2

The reason a front end website wasn't launched for hive 2.0 was because there wasn't time for it. UWE thought it was more important to release hive 2.0 now then wait for a website to go with it.
    maD maX wrote: »
    A Public "score", "skill", or "rank" is VERY helpful. Seeing and average team skill of 900 on both teams and seeing an average team skill of 1700 happens on the same server within hours of eachother... They play very different and one should know what he is walking into. In addition knowing that a player is 3500K on a team with an average of 1000, leads to specific play styles that are necessary to counter (parasite and avoid).
    I am glad one of your reasons was not so that you can judge if the new hive is working.

You have stated one use for showing hive skill values publicly. I question its value. I am assuming you have played NS2 a long time, since before hive. How did you discern this information before hive told you it? You either played defensively until you learned you didn't have to, or you played aggressively until you learned you couldn't. Even without having public hive skill values, you gained that information within the first minute or so of the game starting. I would also argue that those who make use of the information given by public hive skill values is a very select few. Rookies don't know better and will still strait line 1 by 1 into the enemy regardless of the enemies skill. A lot of veterans seem to not care and just play the same.

If there is a 2500+ hive skill player on the server I do need to play differently around them. You are correct about having to play differently. Not for this reason, but I typically play on a server that does not show hive skill values. Even without that I can still gauge fairly quickly how skilled a player is. I look at where the player went first at the start of the round. Was it the most efficient place to be? Was the marine rushing platform because he is confident he can get there? Does he move like a skilled player? Is he trying to bait me as skulk? Did he just kill 3 skulks with 1 clip? It is these questions that can quickly tell me how skilled a player is without seeing a public hive skill value.

I guess I can't argue that there is absolutely no use for public hive skill values. There is some. I can argue that the use is minimal and not worth the trade offs. I have described some off the negative social effects of public hive skill values. Although public hive skill values has some use, I argue it is minimal at best, and not worth the problems it creates.
    maD maX wrote: »
    However the current Hive Scaling is TERRIBLE!!! 1-5,000??? WTF can we get a reasonable metric? Try dividing everyone skill by something like "30" and rounding. That 3K player becomes a level 11, that 1.2k player is a level 4, and that 1800 player is a level 8....
    It doesn't help that the scale isn't linear either. A 2000 skill value player is not 2x more skilled than a 1000 skill value player.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    It doesn't help that the scale isn't linear either. A 2000 skill value player is not 2x more skilled than a 1000 skill value player.

If you want an intuition, this function describes the probability of the higher skilled team winning as a function of the difference in average skill.

moultano wrote: »
    If you want an intuition, this function describes the probability of the higher skilled team winning as a function of the difference in average skill.
    Awesome. That confirmed my intuition that noticeable differences in skill are about 300 hive skill value apart. For the player ranks I shared earlier, that is why I used differences of 300 in the fixed numeric intervals. I still prefer the intervals based on percentages though.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    At the moment the hive rewards the team. This includes the topscorer but also the one guy with 2% acc and a kdr of 1:27.
    Imo it is not fair that the topscorer of the losing side is losing hive skill while the bad players on the winning side are getting it.
    It is very painful to play a fantastatic round and be awarded with a big hive drop because the rest of the team does not know how to carry a weapon......
    This quote I pulled from the forums shows a false perception about hive.

It does not matter what your skill value is. Your skill value is not your bank account. You should not feel bad when it goes down.
    If your hive skill goes down you are not being punished. Hive does not reward or punish players. That is personifying it a mathematical formula. It is like saying your computer is mad at you.
    People can complain that you can do awesome and still lose points. That is fine. You will get them back. It doesn't matter.

Hive skill system primary objective is to be used by a balancing algorithm. But it cannot be denied it can be used to indirectly measure a player´s true skill.

Besides ESNL and gathers, hive skill is the next thing where a player can judge its skill.

So yes, it´s frustrating to carry hard and eventually lose due to lack of teamplay. It´s extremely frustrating when you know that is going to happen even before the match starts. It even compels you to seek another server or change teams or reshuffle or just leave the game. When you spend a certain amount of time and it´s not rewarding and it repeats itself, it can be called punishment.

If a rank system was not necessary (hidden, not shown, not made public), then I think, a podium would not be necessary for the Olympics, or racing leagues, or anything else that is classified as a sport. Sorry, but playing for fun is not the only reason someone put time and effort into something.

I second the idea of:
    - changing its name from "score" or "skill" to something else.
    - making the match database public. A server and bandwidth is already provided...

Making the system to converge faster is good. Separating Alien and Marines skill values and tuning the balancing algorithm would be even better.

• RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016
    Is there anyway to use the old animations ?

(Yes the new look better, but I find them more annoying)

I also feel like I'm getting a shotgun now, when I'm getting the LMG (due to the transition between the two different animation style).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    My opinion on the animation changes:

Rifle:
    - The new unfold animation looks cool, and is more noticeable than the old one, which is neat
    - Cannot unsee that the reload makes the marine look like an amateur
    - The riflebutt looks cool (More showing off the model! Awesome!), but doesn't make any sense (How exactly did my marine change grips that fast?)

Shotgun:
    - When reloading, the thingy for inserting the cartridges (? no gun expert) switches from closed to open instantly, without transition.
    - Didn't notice any other changes.

Pistol:
    - I really miss the "hold pistol up while running", too
    - The new reload is awesome and doesn't feel as artifically slowed down as the last one. Which it was.

Axe:
    - I agree that it looks like a half-assed stab from the marine but I can live with it.

Grenade Launcher:
    - Still has a magical 5th chamber
    - Didn't change at all, I think

Flamethrower:
    - Firing the flamethrower makes your marine vibrate. It's extremely distracting and makes me worry about their well being.

MG:
    - Out of all things, you didn't change this one?
    - It's still artificially slowed down. Painfully so. Only now it sticks out even more since the other animations got an overhaul. Please tell me you're working on this :I

Grenades:
    - The new grenade throw is nice; it's a huge improvement.

So some good, some bad I'd say.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    NovoRei wrote: »
    At the moment the hive rewards the team. This includes the topscorer but also the one guy with 2% acc and a kdr of 1:27.
    Imo it is not fair that the topscorer of the losing side is losing hive skill while the bad players on the winning side are getting it.
    It is very painful to play a fantastatic round and be awarded with a big hive drop because the rest of the team does not know how to carry a weapon......
    This quote I pulled from the forums shows a false perception about hive.

It does not matter what your skill value is. Your skill value is not your bank account. You should not feel bad when it goes down.
    If your hive skill goes down you are not being punished. Hive does not reward or punish players. That is personifying it a mathematical formula. It is like saying your computer is mad at you.
    People can complain that you can do awesome and still lose points. That is fine. You will get them back. It doesn't matter.

Hive skill system primary objective is to be used by a balancing algorithm. But it cannot be denied it can be used to indirectly measure a player´s true skill.

Besides ESNL and gathers, hive skill is the next thing where a player can judge its skill.

So yes, it´s frustrating to carry hard and eventually lose due to lack of teamplay. It´s extremely frustrating when you know that is going to happen even before the match starts. It even compels you to seek another server or change teams or reshuffle or just leave the game. When you spend a certain amount of time and it´s not rewarding and it repeats itself, it can be called punishment.

If a rank system was not necessary (hidden, not shown, not made public), then I think, a podium would not be necessary for the Olympics, or racing leagues, or anything else that is classified as a sport. Sorry, but playing for fun is not the only reason someone put time and effort into something.

I second the idea of:
    - making the match database public. A server and bandwidth is already provided...

Making the system to converge faster is good. Separating Alien and Marines skill values and tuning the balancing algorithm would be even better.

@NovoRei You're a fraud
    edited October 2016
    I agree. Hive skill is statistically representative of players skill.

Please do not compare public NS2 to the Olympics. Public NS2 is like a couple fields kind of playing soccer with no organization. Sometimes they play soccer, sometimes they just kick a ball around, and sometimes they keep score. This is pretty far from organized teams and pick up games that you might find in intramurals. Intramurals are also pretty far from pro soccer.

Comparing public NS2 to the Olympics is a poor comparison. Comparing hive to the Olympic podium is also a poor comparison, moreso coming from the biggest hive exploiter of all.
    It think it was the players that began calling it "score." On the hive website it is called "skill rank."
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    MG:
    - It's still artificially slowed down. Painfully so. Only now it sticks out even more since the other animations got an overhaul. Please tell me you're working on this

The model is still only temporary (yes... after all this time, but we promise something better is coming! ...eventually!), so that'd be like getting a new engine for your car right before you get it crushed into a tiny cube (which I assume is something people do).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    MG:
    - It's still artificially slowed down. Painfully so. Only now it sticks out even more since the other animations got an overhaul. Please tell me you're working on this

The model is still only temporary (yes... after all this time, but we promise something better is coming! ...eventually!), so that'd be like getting a new engine for your car right before you get it crushed into a tiny cube (which I assume is something people do).

Nevermind, then!