A story? issue/conflict with the removing of the multi- purpose room

bzaldbzald Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221800Members

Now this is not so much about the removal of the room from the starter blueprints or the fact that you can only seem to get it from the building itself which does not make a lot of sense. That were my issue starts at now regardless which gender I pick I start out with the same device you think so far so good right? Wrong if the rooms for instance were supposed to be progress into why do I scan them from the abounded bases.

If that spaceship crashed first that tech is older than the one on the ship that I was on? Two why is the multi-purpose room inside the auroa wreak? Remember we came here with a pda so if we were not colonizing the water world why were we there well besides the other mission that I will not bring up. It would figure that the Multi- purpose room. Ok correction you can find it in the mushroom forest but here is the meat of the post who are we the player?

It has become clear that we are not a engineer because this goes back to that we have a pda, yet we are forced to unlock basic gear because we cannot unlock the pda? I mean right now if we took a Ipad to a job site and we crashed out in the woods the Ipad would not suddenly loose data? Unless it never had it or we were locked out of it.

I have been thinking about that a lot since the removal of a basic room, now if the dev’s did not mean for that to be a basic room I understand that. It just confusing on some level’s because that would not happen in real life unless the device became corrupt? I know others will be asking a similar question sure it extends game play some but it odd to say the least.

P.S. As for those who will site another post about using corridors and such in your first base only I see nothing wrong with that. Yet again even now give me an ipad with blueprints and a 3d printer that for the factory and supply me with resources even if it is local. As long as I have a place to work under water I could build a base over time that would be huge.

P.S.S. A 3d printer for factory work is big it can make engines for car’s etc something like the fabricator in the game.

Anyways it was just something that was bugging me

EDIT: Come to think of it I think the PDA at the start says it reboots, why not also say that you have lost some of the blueprints and will have to rescan them to use them. That would solve that, in a nice and neat way.

Comments

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    bzald wrote: »
    EDIT: Come to think of it I think the PDA at the start says it reboots, why not also say that you have lost some of the blueprints and will have to rescan them to use them. That would solve that, in a nice and neat way.

Wait, does it not say that? I admit I can't seem to find it, but I could have sworn there was a datalog about how your PDA's data was corrupted in the crash and you'd need to rebuild the blueprints.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    edited October 2016
    Yeah when you start it tells you that the databanks that the PDA draws from was damaged in the crash and can't retrieve the data for a lot of stuff, so you have to go out and scan stuff.

I personally like that they made the multipurpose room a thing you have to work for, even if you can just go to the floating island right in the beginning and scan one of the rooms there lol. And get some lantern fruits while you're at it. B)
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Wait, does it not say that? I admit I can't seem to find it, but I could have sworn there was a datalog about how your PDA's data was corrupted in the crash and you'd need to rebuild the blueprints.

You get a message about corrupted PDA data from one of the computer consoles in the Aurora.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    In the next update you won't start with a PDA at all and will have to search inside the Aurora and cut through six locked doors to get it, all while suffering from constant radiation exposure because you won't have a radiation suit yet.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'd like for just about all of the blueprints to be unavailable at the start (except maybe the basic base corridors), where you need to scan fragments to gain access to most things. Although they really need to organize the blueprint tab on the PDA better; I hate having to scroll the list repeatedly to check on materials for items.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    In the next update you won't start with a PDA at all and will have to search inside the Aurora and cut through six locked doors to get it, all while suffering from constant radiation exposure because you won't have a radiation suit yet.

Don't forget Lifepod 6 has the Radiation Suit at the start! :tongue:
  • bzaldbzald Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221800Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »

You get a message about corrupted PDA data from one of the computer consoles in the Aurora.

Ahh i had the same thought as Kyman201 like him i could not seem to find that either, now i wonder if it was corrupted before the attack or after words? Anyways it seems it there maybe im just channeling the Dev's on this one and they put it deeper into the story than i would of?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    who are we the player?

One of the data downloads says "personel unaccounted for: non-essential systems maintenance chief Rylie." This implies to me that we are Rylie. (I may have spelled it wrong, can't remember it perfectly).
    who are we the player?

One of the data downloads says "personel unaccounted for: non-essential systems maintenance chief Rylie." This implies to me that we are Rylie. (I may have spelled it wrong, can't remember it perfectly).

Hmm would explain are ability to figure out blueprints and put together components that would seem to require something more than just being a civ
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    who are we the player?

Hmm would explain are ability to figure out blueprints and put together components that would seem to require something more than just being a civ

But I mean, non-essential systems maintenance chief is just a hilariously complex way of saying head janitor.

We're a janitor. We cleaned the ships floors and took out the garbage.
    Fluffers wrote: »
    who are we the player?

But I mean, non-essential systems maintenance chief is just a hilariously complex way of saying head janitor.

We're a janitor. We cleaned the ships floors and took out the garbage.

true but would not a janitor have access to a PDA with x amount of blueprints?
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'd like for just about all of the blueprints to be unavailable at the start (except maybe the basic base corridors), where you need to scan fragments to gain access to most things. Although they really need to organize the blueprint tab on the PDA better; I hate having to scroll the list repeatedly to check on materials for items.
    DagothUr wrote: »

Don't forget Lifepod 6 has the Radiation Suit at the start! :tongue:

While i can see were you are coming from you would still have to explain that to the player why they are looking at a empty PDA? For example if im a engineer why would my PDA be empty? Or if you would want to look at it another way, would not a advance civ have a certain prebuilt system in place for survival? For instance you need xyz to survive everything else would be optional. So x blueprints of the base would be made available because it standard procedure during a emergency same with tool's so scanner would be in there but not sub. Oh course are PDA becomes corrupted which is nice touch so we have to search out tech, with that said if the ended is us building a space rocket like i said it just seems like we are missing pieces of the puzzle for now.
    I should maybe put it this way, we the player don't have to know how to build anything in the game, yet the person we are playing as would have to have some basic understanding of the tech since it seems him then her when they decided on that are or could be part of the crew. Because as far as we can tell from reading there were passengers on board as well who were not part of the crew.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    I got the feeling that the PDA never used to have any blueprints before the crash and when it rebooted into survival mode it attempted, but failed, to retrieve all relevant survival blueprints for a water world. Before the crash it would just be a device for your "To-Do list" and personal log. You wouldn't have need for 3D printer blueprints while on board a functional spacecraft. Maybe schematics, if you were an engineer, but why would you need the ability to 3D print rooms and corridors? No, before the crash it was a glorified smartphone, after the crash it rebooted into survival mode, but the damage to the escape pod corrupted almost all of the information that one would normally have access to. Otherwise, why would the AI direct you to familiarize yourself with the PDA after initial boot if it was what you'd been using all along?
    stevenwojo wrote: »
    I got the feeling that the PDA never used to have any blueprints before the crash and when it rebooted into survival mode it attempted, but failed, to retrieve all relevant survival blueprints for a water world. Before the crash it would just be a device for your "To-Do list" and personal log. You wouldn't have need for 3D printer blueprints while on board a functional spacecraft. Maybe schematics, if you were an engineer, but why would you need the ability to 3D print rooms and corridors? No, before the crash it was a glorified smartphone, after the crash it rebooted into survival mode, but the damage to the escape pod corrupted almost all of the information that one would normally have access to. Otherwise, why would the AI direct you to familiarize yourself with the PDA after initial boot if it was what you'd been using all along?

Yea see that what i have been wondering and you make a good point that it could just be a regular PDA that goes into survival mode, yep that what i was saying oh the PDA seems to be the one item that you use to get your information. Yet like you mention not much use if your not a engineer, but i suppose that is more of a story issue since it not built into the game although that still gives me pause.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members

The PDAs are standard issue, I gather. And the blueprints are there because any schmuck with a Hab Builder can slap in some titanium and pop out a base.

The PDAs are standard issue, I gather. And the blueprints are there because any schmuck with a Hab Builder can slap in some titanium and pop out a base.

True and that what i was wondering so far it does seem like anyone can build anything, would be a interesting story point.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    If it's true that we are this "space janitor" I hope we can name our characters, If so I'm calling my guy "Roger Wilco" who just happens to also be a space janitor and the main character for a pc game that I played all the way back on my 286 computer... A computer mind you that I still have and it's functional even now ( 26 years later )

Any ways this whole PDA discussion has come up from time to time, And like it was stated above I believe the files where corrupted. In fact in the science lab on the Aurora there is a data hub you can download and it sais something to the effect of its repairing previously corrupted files/blue prints? On your PDA!.

As for all the water world survival blueprints that has also been explained.. When Alterra received the distress message from the Aurora saying she was going down, They quickly found out what planet we where crashing into and sent out an emergency data burst to all the PDA's. Before that if I remember correctly we didn't even have that data on them.

Regardless if our character is a janitor, engineer or hell even the ships cook we don't have to actually have any knowledge at all about anything that where building, outside of its function. The PDA and fabricator does all the technical thinking for us!.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    edited October 2016

This is the convo I was talking about, as far as I know it's not in a PDA in game, it was found online I believe actually on the UWE website after the "habitat" update. I'll also post the link at the bottom

Colonial Headquarters - 15 minutes prior to Aurora impact.

Controller: Sit rep!
    Analyst: Ma'am, the Aurora's gone dark. Last known position on collision course with planet 4546B.

Controller: Did the life pods launch?

Analyst: None registered so far, Ma'am. And there's something else.

Controller: Say it.

Analyst: When the Aurora left dock, her emergency equipment was still on factory settings.

Controller: You're telling me we have a bird in the soup, and their Survival PDAs are running VANILLA?!

Analyst: That's the situation, Ma'am... Ma'am, what should we do?

Controller: Bring me every star chart, tech geek and concentration enhancer in the building...

Analyst: Yes Ma'am!
    Controller: ...and god DAMN it you build me an update package, and you find me a way to flash them Version 1.1!

Analyst: Ma'am, there's not enough bandwidth to send everything, but I think I can optimise the automated habitat terraforming algorithms to fit them in.

Controller: You mean to say we have survivors out there with rock-faces jutting into their habitats? Make it so!

Controller: The moment we're done here I want to know who let that ship leave dock without a single room in the constructor database!

Controller: Listen up, I want this package streamlined! You don't need a focus-group approved surface texture when you're fighting for your life on an alien world. If the power systems are beta, pack them up and move on!

Controller: Tell me about this planet the Aurora was orbiting.

Analyst: Unexplored. Capable of supporting life. Ocean planet. O2 atmos-

Controller: Backtrack. Ocean planet?
    Analyst: Affirmative. Does it mean something?

Controller: It means we're in more trouble than we thought. Get me the fluid dynamics team!

Analyst: Update package away, Ma'am.

Controller: Well done everyone. Now get back to work.

Analyst: Ma'am, the team needs to rest.

Controller: Listen up! Anyone who wants to tell me they've got it bad, stop and ask whether you'd rather have been on the Aurora. They're alone right now. They're scared. They're beset on all sides by alien nightmares - and it's only going to get worse. If you still think you should be resting rather than working on a way to keep those people safe, you bring it to me and you'll be reassigned. I'm sure the TSF could use some more bodies in the Kharaa conflict.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora
    If it's true that we are this "space janitor" I hope we can name our characters, If so I'm calling my guy "Roger Wilco" who just happens to also be a space janitor and the main character for a pc game that I played all the way back on my 286 computer... A computer mind you that I still have and it's functional even now ( 26 years later )

Any ways this whole PDA discussion has come up from time to time, And like it was stated above I believe the files where corrupted. In fact in the science lab on the Aurora there is a data hub you can download and it sais something to the effect of its repairing previously corrupted files/blue prints? On your PDA!.

As for all the water world survival blueprints that has also been explained.. When Alterra received the distress message from the Aurora saying she was going down, They quickly found out what planet we where crashing into and sent out an emergency data burst to all the PDA's. Before that if I remember correctly we didn't even have that data on them.

Regardless if our character is a janitor, engineer or hell even the ships cook we don't have to actually have any knowledge at all about anything that where building, outside of its function. The PDA and fabricator does all the technical thinking for us!.

Ahh makes sense was not sure if the PDA and fabricator did all the work was not something that was touched on reason i was wonder if we needed tech knowledge to build the sub would make sense if the fabricator.

This is the convo I was talking about, as far as I know it's not in a PDA in game, it was found online I believe actually on the UWE website after the "habitat" update. I'll also post the link at the bottom

Colonial Headquarters - 15 minutes prior to Aurora impact.

Controller: Sit rep!
    Analyst: Ma'am, the Aurora's gone dark. Last known position on collision course with planet 4546B.

Controller: Did the life pods launch?

Analyst: None registered so far, Ma'am. And there's something else.

Controller: Say it.

Analyst: When the Aurora left dock, her emergency equipment was still on factory settings.

Controller: You're telling me we have a bird in the soup, and their Survival PDAs are running VANILLA?!

Analyst: That's the situation, Ma'am... Ma'am, what should we do?

Controller: Bring me every star chart, tech geek and concentration enhancer in the building...

Analyst: Yes Ma'am!
    Controller: ...and god DAMN it you build me an update package, and you find me a way to flash them Version 1.1!

Analyst: Ma'am, there's not enough bandwidth to send everything, but I think I can optimise the automated habitat terraforming algorithms to fit them in.

Controller: You mean to say we have survivors out there with rock-faces jutting into their habitats? Make it so!

Controller: The moment we're done here I want to know who let that ship leave dock without a single room in the constructor database!

Controller: Listen up, I want this package streamlined! You don't need a focus-group approved surface texture when you're fighting for your life on an alien world. If the power systems are beta, pack them up and move on!

Controller: Tell me about this planet the Aurora was orbiting.

Analyst: Unexplored. Capable of supporting life. Ocean planet. O2 atmos-

Controller: Backtrack. Ocean planet?
    Analyst: Affirmative. Does it mean something?

Controller: It means we're in more trouble than we thought. Get me the fluid dynamics team!

Analyst: Update package away, Ma'am.

Controller: Well done everyone. Now get back to work.

Analyst: Ma'am, the team needs to rest.

Controller: Listen up! Anyone who wants to tell me they've got it bad, stop and ask whether you'd rather have been on the Aurora. They're alone right now. They're scared. They're beset on all sides by alien nightmares - and it's only going to get worse. If you still think you should be resting rather than working on a way to keep those people safe, you bring it to me and you'll be reassigned. I'm sure the TSF could use some more bodies in the Kharaa conflict.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora

nice, i did not know that was out there and it does fill in some of the issue's although that opens up some other questions but we will see
    Given that terrain altering is going away, that conversation would probably have to get tweaked.
    Given that terrain altering is going away, that conversation would probably have to get tweaked.

Maybe maybe not, it just depends which way you look at the use of the word "terraforming"

And at the same time all the hab pieces we build have a natural terraforming ability..
    And at the same time all the hab pieces we build have a natural terraforming ability..

Right now they do. Pretty sure that's going away.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    who are we the player?

Okay... and here I thought his name was going to be Prince Dakkar. Oh, well... :)

Right now they do. Pretty sure that's going away.

If they take that away as well it would heavily impact where and how we can build. I stared playing this game when it launched on xbox.. about 2 months ago now I also bought it for pc do to all the issues the xbox one port is having..

Setting aside the frame rate and other minor issues and your left with in my opinion the BIGGEST one, Base building. On the xbox you simply just cannot build A base that has any kind of substance to it. Anything bigger the 4 MPRs a couple corridors and A MP and the game bogs down. Then adding in purifiers, Reactors and alien containments and your now crawling. And if you EVER have to use the transmitters I feel sorry for you..

Now with that said it is possible to have a tight base built and the game runs decently, just don't expect to have all the bells and whistles.

The actual bases set aside.. The actual game world is also out to get you on xbox. any part of the world that is moved do to base building will be reclaimed by the world once you either reload or leave the area.. which already impacts building designs and area.

On PC I was finally able to build my vision of a sea base. The Biggest central island in the under water islands is my main base.. where I "dock" my cyclops and store my moths/prawns. The next island out is my Aquarium complex with MP.. got a double high tank for every biome in the game (for fauna and flaura) then the next islands are for surplus material storage and indoor/out door gardens both with a MP respectfully.

NONE of that is possible on xbox one. That's too many structures in to close a proximity. To many things functioning at once, and finally those bulbous rock formations on PC don't matter.. they get taken care of and stay taken care of..

I got completely derailed here and I apologize. It's just not that big of a leap talking about the terraforming to base building etc.
    @Rooks_Nemesis - it certainly would impact how and where you can build. But it means 2 important things;

1. You will never have that respawning rock issue again, because you simply won't be able to build into the rock.
    2. The game should run a lot better, because it will no longer have to update its world model with all your changes.

I can't lie - I enjoyed building some of the wacky bases I've built, and removing terraforming would render those builds impossible... 1km vertical connector tubes from the surface into the ILZ will be a thing of the past. But if the tradeoff is that the game runs smoother and without all the pop-in we get now I'm all for it.