The fast track to the Multi-Purpose Room (in pictures)

DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
Enjoy it now before the devs discover this and patch it out of the game.

1) From you lifepod head SSW until you find the wreck of Pod#6. Since your starting position is randomized, it may no be exactly SSW, but it's position doesn't change. Only yours does. So long as you can find this you're good to go. Odds are, however, that you will have to cross a kelp ravine in your travels. Stay near the surface and stalkers shouldn't be an issue so long as you keep moving.

mwxh7ezglt3c.jpg
sc0id85uezld.jpg
u2i337zgx9pu.jpg
c9y0smsty435.jpg

Comments

• DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    2) From here you turn EAST and look for the thermal vent:
    h5l22kv2qx7t.jpg
    l8vvbpdn63eh.jpg

That vent will come in handy later when you go to build your base. Now head due east from that vent.
    3) You'll come across some wreckage very soon and right past it is an IDEAL location for making a base later:

th8ar8pysmxf.jpg
    x2a418gmqlz5.jpg

I like to build my base on the flat shallows half of this location, with the rock wall behind me. Extend the moonpool out into the kelp (you'll have to cut some down) and nothing will obstruct your seamoth coming & going. Kelp zone also gives plenty of room for cyclops later. Best of all, for some unknown reason, this particular kelp area has no stalkers in it. No complaints. And it's close enough to that thermal vent that just a couple of power relays can reach it for thermal generators later down the line.

4) Now keep heading east and it will turn into a red grass/sandshark zone in a little bit. You want to stop exactly where this transition occurs, and look down.

8etfa5znd7u1.jpg
    pyw7bm9x0aqs.jpg

See the holes in the ground where where the two biomes connect? Good, because you're going to dive into those. Hope you've got a seamoth or a lot of air tanks, because you're going below 200m and there's a couple of sandsharks patrolling inside that shaft.

5) And down we go!

s3lo2ilhjt02.jpg
    9dkuctiep7p2.jpg
    zi09igipa4gg.jpg
    swkx4c6ub2m0.jpg

And would you look at that? I'm in the jellyshroom caves! Not only that, but I'm literally right on top of the abandoned seabase there! Scan it's multipurpose room one time and poof - you've got the blueprint. You can also scan the observation pod too. Once you've got a propulsion gun to clear the jellyfish, you can scan the water purifier (which you'll actually be able to use once you've put that thermal vent to good use), a bed, a living wall, a desk and a chair.

When you're done just read back the way you came - straight up. Yay for not getting lost in a cave for once!

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Thats actually a very detailed walthru, with pics 'n all! that will surely be helpful to anyone wanting the MPR but couldnt find its blueprint :smiley:
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I dunno why they'd patch it out, that's pretty much the intended method. Nice guide though.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    But how is this a "fast track" if you need extra equipment for it?

Surely the fastest track is still to grab a scanner ASAP and swim to the island, or am I missing something?
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    I almost always build my base right there by Pod 6, using the Thermal vent for power later, and the western cliff face for my moonpool/cyclops parking etc. This is an excellent tutorial on how to find the jellyshroom base without getting lost, too. Well done!
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I build mine next to Pod 8. It is a sort of mouth at the shallows that's right next to the plateaus, the jellyshroom cave mouth and a few kelp forests. The grand/sparse reefs and floater island are a few meters away, and by following the border between the plateaus and sparse reef, I can get to the blood kelp trench.
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    edited September 2016
    While I think just going to the floating island is more straightforward for the MP room, I've actually never been to the shrooms caves, so I'm curious to check it out.
    But how is this a "fast track" if you need extra equipment for it?

While there is no risk of reaper attack (which is more than I can say for trying to get to the island), a couple of extra dive tanks and medkits aren't that big of a deal. Yes, the seamoth is more work but it isn't completely necessary to have. You only have to get past one or two sandsharks. This is one of the areas where a seaglide might actually be worth bringing, as you might just be able to outrun the sandsharks with some luck. And there's no crabsnakes in the shrooms near the base, either. All in all one of the safer routes.

I dunno why they'd patch it out, that's pretty much the intended method. Nice guide though.

A while back I wrote a similar guide on how to get into the Aurora engine room without having to encounter any reapers via a hole in the side of the hull. Within two days they released a patch that sealed over the hole and forced everyone back down the reaper's gullet, pretty much just to be dicks as far as I can tell. Why put it there in the first place if they didn't want people using it?

They seem to want to force a linear style of gameplay onto people, which is sad.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Kaybe wrote: »
    While I think just going to the floating island is more straightforward for the MP room, I've actually never been to the shrooms caves, so I'm curious to check it out.

Two tips:
    1. Do not swim/hover/pilot Seamoth directly over any big pink mushrooms.
    2. Do not get too close to the walls/ceilings of the abandoned base.
    The first has to do with Jumpscare Snakes, the second with Clipping Droopers.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    DagothUr wrote: »

A while back I wrote a similar guide on how to get into the Aurora engine room without having to encounter any reapers via a hole in the side of the hull. Within two days they released a patch that sealed over the hole and forced everyone back down the reaper's gullet, pretty much just to be dicks as far as I can tell. Why put it there in the first place if they didn't want people using it?

They seem to want to force a linear style of gameplay onto people, which is sad.

I always figured that entrance was temporary, especially given that it seemed they had plans for the Aurora in the long term. It wouldn't really make sense to put a ton of important stuff in it and then give a real easy to access free entrance into it. Not that it's too much harder taking a little extra swim time to the front - go during the day time and stay near the surface; the Reaper is almost always much further down near where it gives way to the abyss, and it's easy to just seaglide right over him without him noticing you. If he's not down in the deep, just hang back and wait for him to dive down there.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    It's actually perfectly possible to get in and out of that entire base without taking any damage from Droopers. And even if you do bump one, it's temporary damage like the gas.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Don't really see how filling your inventory with tanks and hoping for the best is the easy route, assuming they don't get lost and suffocate.

All they need to do for the island is swim South. There's no reapers to worry about either, not sure where you got that from.
    Herugrim wrote: »
    Don't really see how filling your inventory with tanks and hoping for the best is the easy route, assuming they don't get lost and suffocate.

All they need to do for the island is swim South. There's no reapers to worry about either, not sure where you got that from.

I think it's because there was a trello card about making the bases on the island unscannable. Or at the very least the observatories.... That might end up extending to the other two bases as well, but I only recall the Island one being brought up.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members

If your angle is off you can end up in the dunes or in the crash zone, both of which have reapers.
    Ralij wrote: »

If your angle is off you can end up in the dunes or in the crash zone, both of which have reapers.

I saw the location of the floating islands on the horizon, way before the island itself popped in.
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    The only surest way to avoid reapers is to uninstall Subnautica. Isn't knowing they could be out there half the thrill of exploring?

More seriously, aren't there like zero reapers at all in the whole southwestern quarter of the map? The island is actually farther from any of their spawn points than anywhere else in the game.

Avoiding the crash site zone is also pretty simple -- don't wear a radiation suit and don't fix the reactor and you'll get nice flashing red letters on the HUD which to me might as well say "SHALLOW WATER NIGHTMARE FUEL DETECTED" in lieu of "RADIATION DETECTED" anytime you're getting too close.

Getting to the island is actually easy if you remember this one simple navigation rule: the Aurora's butt is facing it. Practically pointing at it. Follow the direction the Aurora's posterior is pointing at and you'll find the island eventually. Don't sweat the reapers because unless you enter the crash site zone, you're not likely to run into any. The Grand Reef and its surrounding biomes is mercifully free of those things.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    If you know where your going definitely. Then again if so you wouldnt be going to a guide to find out either. :wink:

Kinda wondering about the distance you can see them now though, now that you mention it. It was a lot easier to find the mountain island than it was the first few times. I've ended up in the dunes a few times early on before I knew where the floating island was, but I guess its less of an issue if they're visible from the spawn point now.
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    If you know where your going definitely. Then again if so you wouldnt be going to a guide to find out either. :wink:

Kinda wondering about the distance you can see them now though, now that you mention it. It was a lot easier to find the mountain island than it was the first few times. I've ended up in the dunes a few times early on before I knew where the floating island was, but I guess its less of an issue if they're visible from the spawn point now.
    I wouldn't say visible from the spawn point, but it is visible from a long way off. Again, if you swim in the direction directly away from the Aurora's back thrusters, you'll find the island. Be careful to not get close to the crash zone itself because the whole right side of the Aurora is lousy with reapers and there is at least one spawn close to the edge of the crash zone that you could brush potentially against. (close enough you can hear its roars before entering the radiation zone, but you should be safe if you're not skirting it. Still recommend moving away from the Aurora ASAP though)

The island will be visible at first in the form of some far off distortions on the horizon. Looks almost like water droplets on your monitor. Swim towards those "droplets" and you're home free. The whole southwestern quarter of the game world is delightfully reaper free. No wonder the Degasi survivors got a bit bold.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Hmm... time to gather lots of titanium... and make lots of pipes...
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Hmm... time to gather lots of titanium... and make lots of pipes...

No, you want tanks. Tanks, and the external planter with purple sponges in it.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members

I really don't see how "not having an easymode shortcut" is the same as "forcing linear gameplay". Also moving forward with plans they had anyways is not being dicks.
    In a game based on exploration one would hope that taking the time to fully explore an area would have some kind of reward. Finding the secret door, as it were - and in the case of the Aurora, that's pretty much exactly what it was. I spent a good deal of time trying to see if there was any way in that didn't involved being reaper bait and my efforts were rewarded. Exploring paid off.

Again, this little hidden entrance to the caves & the hidden base easily found is something that I just happened to find via thorough exploration. It's a small entrance, easily missed when one is zipping around in a seamoth all the time. Based on previous experience with the Aurora, I suspect that it's only a matter of time until that entrance is removed, forcing people to take the longer, more dangerous route. Why? Because they want you to follow a path.

How many ways are there to get to the lava bed? I've found exactly one so far. How to get to the sea emperor room without facing off against a sea dragon? You can't. When there is only one path from point A to point B, that's linear gameplay. It doesn't matter how big the room is if there is only one door.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    @DagothUr

Theres 2 entrances to the Aurora interiors right now, altho theyre both acessible from the front of it, you can choose which one you want to enter the ship. As for the base in the jellyshroom caves there at least 4 that i know of, one of them being the one right above it.

Theres also several entrances to the lava biome, one from the Deep Grand reef, one from the bloodkelp zone, one under the aurora and one from the Lost river. If you ask me, thats far from linear pathways to get where you wanna go.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    Seeing as how it is possible to to traverse the entire story, as far as I can tell, without having to to go to either the Aurora, the Mushroom caves or the floating island, I'd say the game couldn't be less linear, unless you just removed the story altogether. In fact, the PDAs that are found in those locations, which move the story forward are the only real reason for going to those locations (Well, the main reason for the floating island would be food). I've even found grow beds in one of the wrecks. In fact, some of the frustrations concerning difficulty level you see on these forums can be said to come from the game lacking in "linearness". Nothing tells you want to do, or what tools you'll need to accomplish a task. In fact, I still haven't figured out how to properly use pipes or what the current generator is even useful for. Granted I haven't tried very hard to figure them out because they don't seem to be required, just options to your specific play style.
    edited October 2016
    stevenwojo wrote: »
    Seeing as how it is possible to to traverse the entire story, as far as I can tell, without having to to go to either the Aurora, the Mushroom caves or the floating island, I'd say the game couldn't be less linear, unless you just removed the story altogether. In fact, the PDAs that are found in those locations, which move the story forward are the only real reason for going to those locations (Well, the main reason for the floating island would be food). I've even found grow beds in one of the wrecks. In fact, some of the frustrations concerning difficulty level you see on these forums can be said to come from the game lacking in "linearness". Nothing tells you want to do, or what tools you'll need to accomplish a task. In fact, I still haven't figured out how to properly use pipes or what the current generator is even useful for. Granted I haven't tried very hard to figure them out because they don't seem to be required, just options to your specific play style.

Yeah, the game right now prety much just tosses you into the sea while saying "Good luck sucker!" and that's that. For many of us the game is pretty linear since we've been playing it for a long time. We've got this routine in mind, and have a general idea of where to go and when. A player just starting out might wander into a zone too early, or go a long portion of the game not knowing where a critical piece of tech is lying about.

Heh, every time I try and use the pipes this comes to mind:

At 1:32 in the video, since pasting it in seems to have removed the "Copy link at X time" feature. He fumbles about with the pipes and accomplishes nothing of use.
    This happens to me, Every. Single. Time. xD
    People always tell me how useful they are, but no matter how many times I read tutorials or try using them myself, this happens. It's much easier fo rme to just build an extra tank or two and make use of the power-hungry seaglide.

Current Generator I never actually used, but I've been using the Gravsphere a lot lately for early game catching of fish (I'm sorry, I'm terrible at it ;v; ) and assisting in keeping Bleeders at bay when exploring the depths of the Kelp Forest.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    How many ways are there to get to the lava bed? I've found exactly one so far.

Maybe you should explore a bit more then... I know of 3 ways to get into the lava zone from surface biomes, and there's the Lost River in addition.

I don't see any reason they'd close the hole you're referring to. I usually go into the JSC via the entrance below some wreckage near lifepod 6, because I find it easier to locate. It's not far away from the base, and when I'm done down there I just go out the one you're talking about because it's straight up. There's quite a few ways in and out of the cave, and closing a few off wouldn't really change the gameplay much. By contrast the hole in the Aurora made the ship a ton less interesting - not only did you not have to go near the reapers, you didn't have to deal with the spiders either, and with the new changes (remember these were all planned before you posted your guide) you wouldn't have had to figure out how to get in (whether you cut your way in through the lower entrance or find the code to access the upper one).
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    By contrast the hole in the Aurora made the ship a ton less interesting - not only did you not have to go near the reapers, you didn't have to deal with the spiders either, and with the new changes (remember these were all planned before you posted your guide) you wouldn't have had to figure out how to get in (whether you cut your way in through the lower entrance or find the code to access the upper one).

Translation: "My way is the right way, your way is the wrong way, thus change to force everyone to do it my way was totally justified."

DM: "You see the gem on a pedestal, surrounded by six deadly traps. Who wants to make the first trap disarm roll?"
    Player: "I shoot it off the pedestal with an arrow."
    DM: "Wait, what?"
    Player: "You know, just shoot it off with an arrow then pick it up off the ground once it's away from the traps."
    DM: "Er, no, you can't do that."
    Player: "Why not?"
    DM: "Because it has a protective force field around it!"
    Player: "Since when?"
    DM: "I forgot to mention it before."
    Player: "Now you're just making crap up."
    DM: "Silence!"
    Player: "You know what guys, I think we've got enough loot already. Let's just go home."
    Other Players: "Good idea."
    DM: "A magic barrier comes down behind you. It cannot be removed until you claim the gem!"
    Player: "Dafuq? Seriously?"
    Other Players: "Oh look at the time, gotta go. See you next never!"