Nutrition-block Processor

EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
An installation like the desalinator. Doesn't need to attach to the wall, though.

What this does, is take food items, and grind them up into delicious food blocks. You put in edible stuff, salt, and get blocks that aren't quite as good as Aurora-looted blocks.

Exact usage: You put in food items and salts, and the thing begins processing. Pause the rotting for items inserted into the input, but items cannot be removed. (Or people WILL use it as a fridge...) When it has enough, it consumes enough items to hit 60 food value, one salt, and begins processing 0% to 100%, like the desalinator. When it finishes, it attempts to start again. Meat or vegetable doesn't matter, but for picky people, perhaps vegetable-only blocks can be detected and given a special name?

UI: 3 sections. One section, 6x6 blocks for food input. One row or two for salt input. One row or two of output for processed blocks.

Stats: each block is worth 50 food, and something like -5 to -10 water, consuming 60 food worth of input and one salt. Blocks do not rot.

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Love it! It always occurred to me that the nutrition blocks were something of an anomaly in their rarity. It would be great to have a way to make them!
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    A while back I posted that an upgrade for the bioreacter might be to produce nutrition blocks, once you have solar/thermal/nuclear power and no longer need to use the bioreactor for power. That way the devs don't have to spend much time with building another 3D object, but just have to code the new output of nutrition blocks instead of power. It could consume power at a level of the desalinator and it would give you something to do with all the extra salt.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    What about salt potato and bulb tree and hanging fruit mix makes a aurora nutrition bar that gives the same food/water that be cool make it a blender look lol
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    stevenwojo wrote: »
    A while back I posted that an upgrade for the bioreacter might be to produce nutrition blocks, once you have solar/thermal/nuclear power and no longer need to use the bioreactor for power. That way the devs don't have to spend much time with building another 3D object, but just have to code the new output of nutrition blocks instead of power. It could consume power at a level of the desalinator and it would give you something to do with all the extra salt.

That might be a good upgrade, the Bio Reactor is not really useful as of now.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Reefseeker wrote: »
    stevenwojo wrote: »

That might be a good upgrade, the Bio Reactor is not really useful as of now.

Except that you could have a MFR with an entrance on either side, with 3 desalinators on one side, 3 food processors on the other. Probably have a breeding tank fulla whatever breeds the fastest, or a farm in a nearby MFR, and you're pretty much set to make food for expeditions.
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    A nutrient block recipe should most definitely be added. Especially if the food value of ingredients used to make it is greater than the food value of the block, as you are paying for the longevity of the item.

This, however, would require a restructuring of the current food values as farming is very simple and easy.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    Yes. And -10 water too, we have plenty anyway with even one filtration machine.

Personally I'd prefer all the food values to get nerfed (marble melon diet anyone?) along with the hunger/thirst requirements. Obviously the nute blocks though being the highest value.
    A nutrient block recipe should most definitely be added. Especially if the food value of ingredients used to make it is greater than the food value of the block, as you are paying for the longevity of the item.

This, however, would require a restructuring of the current food values as farming is very simple and easy.

Wouldn't really accomplish anything. If something is slow, people will just parallel-process. I've played heavily modded minecraft, if something was slow, I just stacked up 20 of them and had effectively unlimited quantity anyway.

Instead of 1 MFR and some plants, people would just stack up 3 MFR full of planters. If it got bad enough, people would just farm fish. If that didn't work, people would just swim around and propgun inventories full of fish. If THAT got nerfed, we'd all just starve.

The values can certainly be played with. Maybe give the game an optional difficulty slider, that increases damage values and decreases food values, power drain modification as well?
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    That is actually a neat concept. Especially the food value decreasing. I'd like to see the food values drop a lot at the beginning as your body gets used to the planets biology...

I still think the food block processor is a must. It seems like the people of that time are used to eating synthetic foods (though the sign in the Aurora mess hall says otherwise), and if making highly nutritious foods is the end goal, then I think the processor should be put in there. However, all of those animals may not have the right amount of proteins and special chemicals needed to synthesize the things needed. I'm thinking it can be something craftable with multiple fish. Maybe like, a peeper, and an airsack, and a lava boomerang, and a spinefish. For that much food value, I think it should b pretty complex, and worth it. Blueprint is unlocked once you have scanned all four fish or something. Maybe it is randomly generated which small fish you need at the beginning of the game, so it is different every time. Maybe which fish are based on difficulty.
  • TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

Wouldn't really accomplish anything. If something is slow, people will just parallel-process. I've played heavily modded minecraft, if something was slow, I just stacked up 20 of them and had effectively unlimited quantity anyway.

Instead of 1 MFR and some plants, people would just stack up 3 MFR full of planters. If it got bad enough, people would just farm fish. If that didn't work, people would just swim around and propgun inventories full of fish. If THAT got nerfed, we'd all just starve.

The values can certainly be played with. Maybe give the game an optional difficulty slider, that increases damage values and decreases food values, power drain modification as well?

Lol 3-floor tank full of reginalds = no food problem + no power problem (bioreactors). Why should you need nutrient machine? :)
    Personally nutrient blocks look like fastfood, brrr. WHen I think about nutrient blocks I always remember warhammer 40000. Corpses, special larvas and other shit always makes it's way to the cake.
    Talissera wrote: »

Lol 3-floor tank full of reginalds = no food problem + no power problem (bioreactors). Why should you need nutrient machine? :)
    Personally nutrient blocks look like fastfood, brrr. WHen I think about nutrient blocks I always remember warhammer 40000. Corpses, special larvas and other shit always makes it's way to the cake.

Oh, how do you load the 3-story MFR into the Cyclops?
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members

You both make really good points. It's easy to hold a lot of fish and never run out at your base. The problem is being able to carry enough food points for exploration on your person. Sure, you can build a dozen aquariums in the Cyclops to store stuff, but that is a pain. I'm still behind the block processor.

• TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    edited October 2016

Simple. 4 pots with potato and a tree with fruits just for variety. Nobody likes same dish day after day.
    More problem with water if you don't use stillsuit. With it there is a small loss which covers with 2-3 bottles of distillied water and a small aquarium with 4 "water fishes". And a couple of reginalds.

Simple. 4 pots with potato and a tree with fruits just for variety. Nobody likes same dish day after day.
    More problem with water if you don't use stillsuit. With it there is a small loss which covers with 2-3 bottles of distillied water and a small aquarium with 4 "water fishes". And a couple of reginalds.

My post that you quoted was musing on possible nerfing of plants. Again. Or Cyclops farms.

Certainly, the Cyclops can currently support the player, with no problem. However, we're talking about restructuring of food values so that the Cyclops couldn't support the player indefinitely. If that were the case, players could stack up as much food production in MFRs as necessary, but taking that in the Cyclops becomes problematic.

...Or it would, if fish didn't survive indefinitely, out of water in lockers. B)

So it's assuming a lot, that UWE will make everything rot, including live fish eventually, which would make sense. And that Cyclops farms will not be sufficient. Or that players might want to take a bunch of rations for extended trips in the PRAWN suit without resupplying at Cyclops.