Fun "free" items in Subnautica for your survival!

TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
I've noticed from time to time, people get aggravated because certain tech or items aren't available to get when they need them. I thought I'd make a list of items that can be found here for those that aren't aware of them. I've got this list in the rought order of how they can be obtained on average. I'm not listing stuff that can be found in Storage Containers or the crew quarters, since those items are mostly trivial. If you know of any other stuff you've come across, feel free to add to this list!

Nutrient Blocks, Distilled Water, Flares: Lifepod 5 storage, Aurora Storage room (outside the Cantina)
Fire Extinguisher: Lifepod 5 (obviously) but also on the Aurora (Engine Room, Cantina, PRAWN bay)
Radiation Suit (3 pieces): Lifepod 6 (sometimes outside it but usually inside it)
Compass: Lifepod 7 (Sadly not a 100% guaranteed spawn I've found)
Seamoth Pressure Compensator: Aurora Seamoth Bay
Cyclops Power Efficiency Module: Aurora Engine Room (Thanks @Sidchicken!)
Flashlight: Aurora PRAWN bay (near the North exit to the Science lab)
Seamoth/Cyclops Storage Module: Aurora PRAWN bay (on the floor near the grounded Exosuits)

That's about all that I've found personally, but I'm sure there are others. Most of the stuff is trivial, but the Compass/Compensator/Storage items let you use them before you can craft them, let alone before they're even unlocked. Good luck!

Comments

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I've had the rad suit not spawn too. But when it does, it's always 2 pieces outside, 1 inside the pod.

You also didn't list the Cyclops Power Efficiency Module, which granted can ONLY be picked up (not crafted), found in the engine room.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for mentioning that Sid, I completely forgot about that item. Adding it to the list! :smile:
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    edited September 2016
    If you feel brave enough, you can swim to mountain island at the start of the game. Underwater, on the sides, you'll find magnetite, which unlocks the compass, and diamonds, which allows you to craft the laser cutter.

Don't go too deep for there be Reapers.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    The last two games I started, the Cyclops Power Efficiency Module has not spawned in the Engine Room (sine they closed the hole in the floor). The console that is supposed to hold it is there, but no module. I even searched the floors and catwalks in case it was 'rolling around' somewhere.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    You unlock the compass as soon as you pick up magnetite.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    There's too much "Aurora" in that list.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    There's too much "Aurora" in that list.

Well, it IS the single source of non-corroded human tech on the entire planet. Some of it even still working. The vast majority of chests are near Aurora, with a couple out on the floating island. Besides that, it's just wrecks. Which are CHUNKS of Aurora, somehow still clinging to emergency power (and some of them enough to electrocute you!)
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    All the stuff at the mushroom cave base...
    If your really adventurous, with the seaglide, scanner and about 4 O2 tanks you should be able to make the mushroom cave base and get everything there: Multi-purpose room, water filtration unit, observatory, spotlight and lots of decorative items. Though it would probably take you a full battery and a firstaid kit per dive and only be able to scan one or two items at a time. I've never actually tried this, but it seems like it would be doable. Unfortunately, the heat source signal that points to this location seems to have been removed, so getting these requires knowledge one shouldn't have at that point in the game.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2016
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Well, it IS the single source of non-corroded human tech on the entire planet. Some of it even still working. The vast majority of chests are near Aurora, with a couple out on the floating island. Besides that, it's just wrecks. Which are CHUNKS of Aurora, somehow still clinging to emergency power (and some of them enough to electrocute you!)

I've often wondered how it is that the electrical energy from the ruptured conduits in some wrecks don't outright kill you once you swim close enough to it. It's high voltage electric currents arcing into the water that we're swimming in; it should cause more harm than it does and hurt from a longer distance than it currently does. But, that gameplay change would suck, so I just tell myself it's not electricity but just a ruptured plasma conduit instead. :tongue:
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2016
    I just figured that there was something in the make-up of this Alien Planets Ocean, that prevents electricity from arcing much beyond it's power source.
    But I like your plasma tech reasoning better.
    B)
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Pod 7 i think it was has a compass
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    Pod 7 i think it was has a compass

That's on the list.
    scubamatt wrote: »
    The last two games I started, the Cyclops Power Efficiency Module has not spawned in the Engine Room (sine they closed the hole in the floor). The console that is supposed to hold it is there, but no module.

I'm still finding it there.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    stevenwojo wrote: »
    All the stuff at the mushroom cave base...
    If your really adventurous, with the seaglide, scanner and about 4 O2 tanks you should be able to make the mushroom cave base and get everything there: Multi-purpose room, water filtration unit, observatory, spotlight and lots of decorative items. Though it would probably take you a full battery and a firstaid kit per dive and only be able to scan one or two items at a time. I've never actually tried this, but it seems like it would be doable. Unfortunately, the heat source signal that points to this location seems to have been removed, so getting these requires knowledge one shouldn't have at that point in the game.

Too bad the planter is on the floating island. If you have that, though, you could build one and fill it with purple sponges. Once they mature, you'd have plenty of air bubbles for all the time you wanted. Just can't move it.
  • XadieXadie Germany Join Date: 2015-11-06 Member: 209020Members
    But getting to the island and grabbing all the stuff is pretty much (risk-)"free"
    Xadie wrote: »
    But getting to the island and grabbing all the stuff is pretty much (risk-)"free"

Almost entire risk free, yes. I noticed some creepy noises coming up, but nothing actually paths around the floating island. Warpers, maybe.