Please, remove spectator-only slots from your servers

develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
They are annoying. I can't just put it on autojoin.

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited September 2016
    can be annoying when you want to play asap, but servers would run without spect slots then. they dont require as much performance... sitting out a round is not that bad
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I actually think it's better that way.. speccing on ns1 servers was mostly not possible, or taking a break without quitting and hoping that you can rejoin...
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited September 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »
    sitting out a round is not that bad

It is. I don't have time to do that.
    Handschuh wrote: »
    taking a break without quitting and hoping that you can rejoin...

You can't join/rejoin the round automatically, that's the point.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Handschuh wrote: »
    taking a break without quitting and hoping that you can rejoin...
    You can't join/rejoin the round automatically, that's the point.[/quote]

What he meant was, if you AFK and get kicked, it's much harder to rejoin the server than just hang out in the spects.

On the waiting part, I understand its frustrating, but the pros outweight the cons imo...
  • AmbivalentAmbiguityAmbivalentAmbiguity Miami, FL Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194129Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    There are many benefits to servers having spectator slots.

For one, it helps keep the server seeded and the server is less likely to die as the amount of people that leave after playing are replaced by those in spectate, so the server population doesn't drop too much.

It helps administrate and moderate a server by leaps and bounds. As an admin I can effectively moderate and never have to worry about stopping in the middle of a game to deal with an issue and my absence having an impact on the team.

Many people, including myself, enjoy simply spectating a game. Would your suggestion be "too bad" for us? That's not exactly fair to us, either. Spec spots are a decent compromise.

Maybe it's a little rude, but I always tell those in my server who complain about it the same thing... Nothing is stopping you from making a server without spec slots, and nothing is stopping you from playing somewhere else.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited September 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »
    What he meant was, if you AFK and get kicked, it's much harder to rejoin the server than just hang out in the spects.

It's an illusion that you're connected to the server. It's purely psychological. You're not in the game, and it's as hard to join as before. Plus you can't join automatically.

@AmbivalentAmbiguity, set at least so it won't slip into spectator mode all the time. So you can know when the round ends without headache of listening voice chat of both teams. Or probably the client-side workaround is the way to go.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    A better solution would be to have autojoin detect spectator slots.