Obraxis used to update us on VR, nothing lately. Polite request for VR updatestimeframe?

redmantabredmantab united states Join Date: 2015-08-10 Member: 206990Members
For those of you who haven't tried Subnautica in VR....it is stunning. Every subnautica patch I read up on the notes hoping that they at least fixed the ability to use the moonpool without it kicking me out in VR etc.

Any timeframe on buttoning up the already decent vr ?

Comments

• redmantabredmantab united states Join Date: 2015-08-10 Member: 206990Members
    Anyone? Devs? People with a link to any news on VR? VR looks nice but in its current state you have to swap from VR to non VR to play the game as many have reported (myself included).

• CryptodiveCryptodive USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222534Members
    I don't play VR, but I hope this is assessed soon as I do hope to very soon in the future.
    They are intentionally dodging this at this point. They always respond until the VR issues came up
    Didn't mean that feisty btw. good game, I think they are intentionally avoiding discussing it since most players just use standard comp etc....so as a developer they don't have the time to work on VR. Funny though, cause it is on Oculus Home and you'd think they want better exposure / reputation from that.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    redmantab wrote: »
    Didn't mean that feisty btw. good game, I think they are intentionally avoiding discussing it since most players just use standard comp etc....so as a developer they don't have the time to work on VR. Funny though, cause it is on Oculus Home and you'd think they want better exposure / reputation from that.

They also want a game that works in other manners :) Its is early access, after all. I do hope these fixes will come soon :)
    Understandable. I think more of the disappointment, for me, is that the team used to love to show up here and answer my/our questions about VR etc. They would personally reply to threads and share how passionate they were about vr. If not in threads, at least in updates of some kind where we knew where it was all going. When I had my dk2 it was this team and game that opened my eyes up to VR and these worlds we can visit.

Guess I just miss these guys and their early passion about vr. It was catching.

• OculusLouOculusLou Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217605Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I have updated a number of threads on here and steam, but they seem to get buried.

We're in the process of upgrading to Unity 5.4 now, which should include basic Vive support. VR performance *should* increase with the move to 5.4 but we'll see what happens. We want the new VR features/issues to settle in the move to 5.4 before we do more VR work (as we'd likely have been fighting ourselves).

I love getting VR updates even if it's the same thing we have heard before :). Is the Moonpool docking & Seamoth/Cyclops docking launching back where you first docked issues really related to the Unity version? Because if they are I will stop submitting them. The only major VR issue on the Trello boards are the sideways view issue when piloting crafts. Thanks!
    Obraxis. Thanks dude. Very cool. Can't wait to use the moonpool in VR etc. Wonderful world
  • Bam1500Bam1500 Plainfield, Il Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217363Members
    Hands down, my favorite game to play in VR!
    Thanks for the updates!

Anytime I need to travel with the Cyclops Seamoth/Prawn docked, I just temporarily switch back to the monitor and then throw on the Oculus again once I hit my destination :)

• Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited September 2016
    the team used to love to show up here and answer my/our questions about VR etc. They would personally reply to threads and share how passionate they were about vr.

I wish I could share this sentiment. I made a thread like 2 months ago, never got a response. I remarked in another thread, no response. I commented in Discord.....got a off handed, non-VR is a higher priority answer.
    I feel like the fact it's "early access" is a full disclaimer in the sense that we can't be all that annoyed, and I understand that, but I've seen no passion for VR. I see a buggy, potentially amazing VR experience with nearly no updates or comments on the matter :(

The flashing geometry /shadows make it very unpleasant for me, the pop in Is horrendous and the clipping water in the life pod is ridiculous. I REALLY want to see this game evolve /improve but until it does, I chose not to play it. I think it's ok to be on the Steam store but it shouldn't be on the Oculus store. It's just not ready for VR
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Someonestolema02 Most of the issues you are talking about are not just VR issues, we will be addressing those in time. Games in heavy development like ours do the biggest bug and visual glitches fixing towards the end of development in the 'polish' stage. We're only just about to hit our Alpha so yeah, lots of work still to do.

The game itself is the most important thing. We're all big VR fans and want to make the game a superb VR experience, but the absolute most important thing is the game itself. We're a small team, with limited resources. As per our Trello updates, we're going to do more VR work very soon, and more polish towards the end of development.

If the current bugs and issues are causing you grief, I think it might be best if you took a break from playing and wait until we're further along in development. Some people can overlook them, others it's more of an issue. There is no wright or wrong, just personal preference.

• Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    As I said, I am not playing it as it is. Thank you for the reply, sounds good.
    As I said, I am not playing it as it is. Thank you for the reply, sounds good.
    @Someonestolema02 Most of the issues you are talking about are not just VR issues, we will be addressing those in time. Games in heavy development like ours do the biggest bug and visual glitches fixing towards the end of development in the 'polish' stage. We're only just about to hit our Alpha so yeah, lots of work still to do.

The game itself is the most important thing. We're all big VR fans and want to make the game a superb VR experience, but the absolute most important thing is the game itself. We're a small team, with limited resources. As per our Trello updates, we're going to do more VR work very soon, and more polish towards the end of development.

If the current bugs and issues are causing you grief, I think it might be best if you took a break from playing and wait until we're further along in development. Some people can overlook them, others it's more of an issue. There is no wright or wrong, just personal preference.

Honestly guys, let's go easy on Obraxis here. This answer is exactly what I was looking for regarding VR in Subnautica. It is so rare and cool to have a dev respond like this and re assure.

For what it's worth - Elite Dangerous and Subnautica were my inaugural VR titles and they both blew me away. As a busy business owner and dad, I had a period some months ago where I would stay up far beyond my wife and kids sleeping and just love SN in VR. It was my favorite thing to do for entertainment for months and will be a permanent memory for me of excitement and immersive greatness. Just excited to have it working well again at some point and happy to have this update from Obraxis. There are so many other games/hobbies to enjoy to tide me over...but Subnautica has a special feel to it that can't be matched. I look forward to coming back to this game when the VR is more ready. Such a fun experience. Can't thank you enough for this epic journey.

Thanks.
    I didn't mean to be hard on him in any way. Just stating a opinion. I meant to quote Redman not Obraxis. This quote:
    the team used to love to show up here and answer my/our questions about VR etc. They would personally reply to threads and share how passionate they were about vr.
    I havnt seen much of it. It's almost like they have been dodging the topic.
    I specifically pointed out I understand it's early access and specifically said I chose not to play it till further work and progress is done.
    Telling me it's early and to not play it if it bothers me is rather redundant but I digress.

It shows a lot of potential, I can't wait till it's finished, I appreciate the effort it takes for a project like this and I appreciate the response.

• VachVach Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221054Members
    Definitely happy to see a thread like this. I basically play exclusively in VR, and there are a lot of minor issues bogging the experience down. Glad that this will see some love soon. :)
    Bam1500 wrote: »
    Hands down, my favorite game to play in VR!
    Thanks for the updates!

Anytime I need to travel with the Cyclops Seamoth/Prawn docked, I just temporarily switch back to the monitor and then throw on the Oculus again once I hit my destination :)

Might I ask how you switch to the monitor so quickly to do this? This has been plaguing me. Do you shut the game down and unplug the headset? Is there a command I am unaware of?

I see early vive support is in the experimental branch now does that mean the game is on the new version of Unity now?
    Have you tried it? What's it look like with the Vive?
    edited October 2016
    Vach wrote: »
    Have you tried it? What's it look like with the Vive?

Wow it looks really nice and crisp on the Vive with SS. I thought it looked good on my Rift, but much nicer on the Vive and seems to run a little better as well...I'm using a 1080.
    OculusLou wrote: »
    Wow it looks really nice and crisp on the Vive with SS. I thought it looked good on my Rift, but much nicer on the Vive and seems to run a little better as well...I'm user a 1080.

Wow! That's interesting. I thought it would look worse because it's so new to the Vive. What do you mean by "SS"?
  • Bam1500Bam1500 Plainfield, Il Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217363Members
    edited October 2016

Might I ask how you switch to the monitor so quickly to do this? This has been plaguing me. Do you shut the game down and unplug the headset? Is there a command I am unaware of?

Sorry for late response, didn't see this till now.
    I wouldn't say its a quick switch, but its exactly like you said, shut down and unplug the headset.

Not sure if this is the case for everyone else, but if my Rift HDMI is plugged into my PC, Subnautica can only be played in VR on boot up.
    When I want to switch to play on Monitor, I quit the game entirely, unplug the Rift, and Start the game back up again.
    Small hassle, but gets the job done!
    Wow it looks really nice and crisp on the Vive with SS. I thought it looked good on my Rift, but much nicer on the Vive and seems to run a little better as well...I'm user a 1080.

Wow! That's interesting. I thought it would look worse because it's so new to the Vive. What do you mean by "SS"?

SS = Super Sampling
    edited October 2016

It's not even possible for it to look better on the VIve. Most definitely not "a lot" better. In fact it should be the opposite as the VIve has a smaller sweet spot and more screen door effect. Nor should it run better as the Oculus SDK is A LOT better than SteamVR. Reprojection is crap.
    This is anecdotal or even flat out nonsense.
    edited October 2016
    Bam1500 wrote: »

Sorry for late response, didn't see this till now.
    I wouldn't say its a quick switch, but its exactly like you said, shut down and unplug the headset.

Not sure if this is the case for everyone else, but if my Rift HDMI is plugged into my PC, Subnautica can only be played in VR on boot up.
    When I want to switch to play on Monitor, I quit the game entirely, unplug the Rift, and Start the game back up again.
    Small hassle, but gets the job done!

That is definitely not user intuitive or very fair (to us). I actually can't do that very easily due to my setup (my PC is connected to my home theater). I've actually been using the launch command:
    -vrmode none

With success. So perhaps you could try that?
    It's not even possible for it to look better on the VIve. Most definitely not "a lot" better. In fact it should be the opposite as the VIve has a smaller sweet spot and more screen door effect. Nor should it run better as the Oculus SDK is A LOT better than SteamVR. Reprojection is crap.

I am going to have to say I share your sentiments, here, seems very difficult to believe considering my experiences with the Vive. I'm also not sure how it could possibly be so much better after only having basic support (based on Obraxis discord announcement).

Anyone else with a Vive have corroboration on their results?

I have a Rift and a Vive and I said it was nice and crisp on the Vive with SuperSampling. It also ran a little better I didn't say a lot in my situation. This is on SS 1.5, I haven't played around with the debug tool and ASW yet to much with Subnautica because I haven't had much luck. I'm sure with some tweaking I could get it looking just as nice.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    For some people, they might prefer the Vive to the final CV1, as it has a brighter screen. Personal choice and opinion of preference is still personal, even if there are various differences in software and technology. Something 'better' for someone, might be better for someone else.

For me personally, because the Vive fits my glasses better and has a brighter screen, I prefer the Vive in VR. But the Rift is 'better' for a number of my colleagues due to Time Warp, lighter design, Oculus tech helping lower-end machines than Vive and other factors. VR is the most personal form of playing the game, and so is the tech you have. Go with what might be better for you.
  • Tom2121Tom2121 USA, VA Join Date: 2016-09-04 Member: 222057Members
    VR-Oculus Do NOT use them NOT going to pay like 400, 700$, Do Not Need Oculus dll Messing up my Game!!!!
    edited October 2016
    Tom2121 wrote: »
    VR-Oculus Do NOT use them NOT going to pay like 400, 700$, Do Not Need Oculus dll Messing up my Game!!!!

Oo....wut?

I have a Rift and a Vive and I said it was nice and crisp on the Vive with SuperSampling. It also ran a little better I didn't say a lot in my situation. This is on SS 1.5, I haven't played around with the debug tool and ASW yet to much with Subnautica because I haven't had much luck. I'm sure with some tweaking I could get it looking just as nice.

Again, anecdotal nonsense. What is "nicer" to you? Is it the slight difference in brightness? I'm trying to understand. The sweet spot is larger on the rift, text more legible and there's less screen door effect. SS works without "tweaking", with the debug tool. I'm really not following.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Uh...isn't the Vive roughly the same price? You'll pay for VR either way.
    For some people, they might prefer the Vive to the final CV1, as it has a brighter screen. Personal choice and opinion of preference is still personal, even if there are various differences in software and technology. Something 'better' for someone, might be better for someone else.

For me personally, because the Vive fits my glasses better and has a brighter screen, I prefer the Vive in VR. But the Rift is 'better' for a number of my colleagues due to Time Warp, lighter design, Oculus tech helping lower-end machines than Vive and other factors. VR is the most personal form of playing the game, and so is the tech you have. Go with what might be better for you.

Agreed VR is so subjective to people's own personal tastes and experiences. I have been playing it with both for testing and I haven't been able to get the Oculus debug tool to work with my steam copy, but SS on my Vive does. To me it looks more crisp and the text pops with SS which could just be because it's brighter like you said. Driving fast in the Seamouth pops the Vive background into view again which is not ideal lol. Subnautica behaves very differently for me on each headset both have their pros and cons.