Weather!!

Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
edited September 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
The question is simple, who wants there to be weather in Subnautica.

Comments

• IlexLegionIlexLegion Join Date: 2016-09-21 Member: 222475Members
    I think that weather could be cool, but it would be hard to implement well. Weather, I assume, would most likely be some form of cloud/rain system, and while it would be visually appealing, it could negatively affect solar power production. Since solar power is the first power source players have, this might make the early game a little too difficult for new players.

If it was purely visual and easy to implement, I would be on board, but I would prefer them to spend their time on things that have a greater impact on gameplay.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I mean after 1.0 or close to its release.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    It would make sense as a feature to implement in the closing package of 1.0v. It honestly doesn't sound too hard to implement, although its not a priority. I never go "dammit, where are the storms?"

Would be sick to have underwater changes though, like the reduction in visibility (fogginess during intense storms due to motion).

If I were a Dev it would already be on my long list of features board, as it's a typical "mood setter" tool used by devs throughout games. So I trust they know what they are doing in terms of priority, and think we might see this discussed later on :)
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    edited September 2016
    @Captagear Eventual weather would be awesome yes.
    just imagine there being a raging storm on the surface and then the Auroras drive core detonates, Clearing it up. The rain stopping and the clouds parts for open skies for just a few moments.
    Then the opening eventually closes and the storm resumes as if nothing happened. (Or it is stopped early by the shock wave, Depending on how big it was.)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    If done well, it could add a lot to the atmosphere. Pun intended.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    If done well, it could add a lot to the atmosphere. Pun intended.

That's a good joke!
    Or, a game mechanic could push the player to build a fabricator and signal device inside a powered base. The game tracks once the base has been on for a few days and the player is getting more or less comfortable, or perhaps bored.

Then the game whips up a storm, and sinks the original pod a distance away from the player base, destroying it! (THIS one though, you should be able to salvage fabricator, signal receiver, medkit generator, and grab your stuff out of the locker.) RIP pod, push the player out of their comfort zone!

...Well, in theory anyway. Probably a bad idea in practice. There's a lot of holes here like any open-world game scripting.
    • The player could do something silly with their initial base- build it above water, or way too big, or something.
    • Constantly botch the power and never fire the script.
    • Wind up screwed without a powered fabricator and no battery power or resources to make a solar panel.
    • Players might REALLY REALLY not like their safety net being broken.
    • For a large storm, it should affect bases just under the water. (Or over the water, you know who you are.) And a scripted event to destroy bases would be even more tricky.

So for anyone whose ideas I've ripped on, at least I'm fair and even do it to myself. :D Probably best to stick with less severe weather.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Perhaps a Fallout 4 styled Radstorm, that keeps occurring at regular intervals until the reactor is fixed.
    Perhaps a Fallout 4 styled Radstorm, that keeps occurring at regular intervals until the reactor is fixed.

Oh yeah? Like the PDA says "Detecting severe weather patterns. There is a 68% chance of radiation winds caused from the aurora's exposed dark core drive. Personal should locate to the safety of the lifepods." I'm not good at dialogue but you see the jist. As for the event occurrence it triggers after an elapsed time. This hurries players without lead suits, or those who want to upgrade but haven't bother to repair the aurora's drive. Aesthetic for the majority players, but acts to hurry those left behind towards a goal.
    Captagear wrote: »

Oh yeah? Like the PDA says "Detecting severe weather patterns. There is a 68% chance of radiation winds caused from the aurora's exposed dark core drive. Personal should locate to the safety of the lifepods." I'm not good at dialogue but you see the jist. As for the event occurrence it triggers after an elapsed time. This hurries players without lead suits, or those who want to upgrade but haven't bother to repair the aurora's drive. Aesthetic for the majority players, but acts to hurry those left behind towards a goal.

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/1336/what-thickness-depth-of-water-would-be-required-to-provide-radiation-shielding-i

Looks like 2.5 meters of water is protection against spent fuel rods, in the for-realsies, if that guy has correct maths. So any type of radiation storm would be easily ignored at any significant depth. As long as we're not doing the Fallout 4 thing with an "OMG THE WATER IS RADIATION TOO" approach.

My main problem with the Aurora is how long all that metal has REMAINED cherry-red hot. It's cool looking, but not terribly believable. It's too bad that you can't really show the player how it looks just after it crashes, before the metal cools, and then again later after the wreck settles a bit.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Captagear wrote: »

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/1336/what-thickness-depth-of-water-would-be-required-to-provide-radiation-shielding-i

Looks like 2.5 meters of water is protection against spent fuel rods, in the for-realsies, if that guy has correct maths. So any type of radiation storm would be easily ignored at any significant depth. As long as we're not doing the Fallout 4 thing with an "OMG THE WATER IS RADIATION TOO" approach.

My main problem with the Aurora is how long all that metal has REMAINED cherry-red hot. It's cool looking, but not terribly believable. It's too bad that you can't really show the player how it looks just after it crashes, before the metal cools, and then again later after the wreck settles a bit.

That's the not the problem, it's microscopic, radioactive particles :(
  • FlappybatFlappybat Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165519Members
    The seas are too calm. Variable waves and storms would be great. In the lore you can't live on the islands because it rains too much to grow crops.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    edited September 2016
    I like the idea of losing the pod, but it would require the habitat builder be acquirable without a fabricator. In fact, if one could acquire a habitat builder and a scanner (there are already ample supplies of batteries in chests for the taking) you could literally lose everything and have a chance to recover. This would definitely be a hard-mode thing, not for the casual player at all.

And about the variable sized waves, I keep being reminded of the movie Interstellar, on the first planet they go too. That would be scary awesome, but the coding would likely be ridiculous and I imagine it would cause insane pressure changes, even deep under water.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    its a possibility, but understand it'd take dev time away from the story. and it nearly finished, so lets wait just a bit longer
    Yeah @Sigmalx, I don't want weather right now. I would just like to see weather implemented after 1.0 or close to the release.
  • DaAngryCheeseDaAngryCheese Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222374Members
    edited September 2016
    Yes! Weather would be pretty cool but it probably wouldn't be a top priority right now, but maybe closer to release. This could also have some possible effects on gameplay

Eg.

Solar panels not charging

Small fish like peeper and spades hiding in caves

Predators like the reaper becoming more active

Reduce visibility

Large waves making being near the surface harder

Damaging bases near the surface?

Possible unique creatures?