Power Consumption from multiple sources

damonbernddamonbernd USA Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222423Members
This thread is specifically about how power is consumed by a base with multiple power sources

I have noticed that as a base consumes power it uses power from a source in the order they were created.
to explain: A base is created and then two thermal plants are created (TP1 and TP2). If power is consumed at rate slower than production then eventually both TP1 and TP2 will have a charge of 50/50. If we then change the rate of consumption by, for example, adding several spotlights (consumption rate > production rate) we can see that power from TP1 is consumed (charge decreases) and TP2 will have a constant charge of 50/50 until TP1 is completely empty. Only then will TP2 begin to use it's charge.

We can see also this phenomenon occur within the Nuclear Reactor . If only one reactor rod is used we see a rate of charge (build to 500) . If multiple reactor rods are used this rate increases, still to a maximum of 500. I believe the seems logical.
However, as power is consumed, the discharge of reactor rod 1 occurs before reactor rod 2 and so forth. Although we cannot see the remaining charge on any specific reactor rod we can see the results as reactor rod 1 will be depleted first and, if replaced before reactor rod 2 is depleted it will again be depleted before any of the other rods.

This issue is compounded by having multiple (different) sources such as a Nuclear Reactor, 3 Thermal Plants and 4 Solar Panels. Once everything is charged we see that unless energy consumption is faster than the Nuclear Reactor can create it the Thermal Plants and the Solar Panels will constantly have the maximum charge. This, to me, seems illogical and pretty much nullifies the practicality of having several items producing power at the same time since power from sources 2, 3, 4, etc. will NEVER be used unless power from source 1 is 100% depleted.

The suggestion is that power should be consumed from all sources equally. The logic of how this should happen could be determined in several ways. One example would be when 1 (one) unit of power is consumed it is taken from the source with the highest percentage of its power remaining. If we look at the example about the base with the 2 Thermal Plant it (the power consumtion algorithm) would first take 1(one) power unit from TP1 (charge to 49/50) then the next unit of power from TP2 (charge to 49/50). The next unit would again be from TP1 (charge to 48/50) and so forth. I believe that the same methodology should be applied to the Nuclear Reactor essentially making each reactor rod a separate source and they will all be depleted at roughly the same time.

Another way to sort this would be to create some type of central battery system that gets charged from ALL sources at a rate determined by those sources. All power consumption would consume power units from the battery bank and not from individual sources.

Addition: This also occurs in the Cyclops as Power Cell 1 depletes before power cell 2, etc. This, again, is illogical since why would the Cyclops need 6 power cells when it is essentially running on one so if we constantly replace power cell 1 the other power cells never need to be replaced or charged. I know there has already been much discussion about the Cyclops and this issue may be being address within this context.

Comments

• IlexLegionIlexLegion Join Date: 2016-09-21 Member: 222475Members
    edited September 2016
    A central power bank would be cool. Maybe you could have power storage like the life pod that could be placed on walls and a large one for the center of the MP room. These could work like the current system of power storage, but would hold power centrally instead of at the generator source. The power generators would probably have no storage capacity then and a base without capacitors on solar power alone would shut down when the sun sets.

I am ok with the Cyclops draining cells sequentially (and the PRAWN if it does this as well) since that makes replacing spent cells easier if not all cells have been drained.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    IlexLegion wrote: »
    A central power bank would be cool. Maybe you could have power storage like the life pod that could be placed on walls and a large one for the center of the MP room. These could work like the current system of power storage, but would hold power centrally instead of at the generator source. The power generators would probably have no storage capacity then and a base without capacitors on solar power alone would shut down when the sun sets.

I am ok with the Cyclops draining cells sequentially (and the Exosuit if it does this as well) since that makes replacing spent cells easier if not all cells have been drained.
    Ditto on the Cyclops. The Prawn and dual cells is fine too, it's just 2 cells.

But a base power revamp would be ideal. Preferably, a power panel. Give each power source 2 possible settings: always on, fallback. Always-on is just that, one power is drained from each. Fallback goes active when always-on is depleted. Renewables default to always-on, and reactors default to fallback.

This way, power is drained evenly from solar/thermal, and maybe bio, according to preference. Maybe even reactor, if you want it that way. This uses the recharge rate of ALL generators, rather than draining a few to 0 and sucking that 1-2 power out as soon as they fill.