Critical dehydration seems to happen far too quickly.

MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
Greetings.

As the title says, I think this happens far too quickly. As a scuba diver myself I know the toll it takes on us physically, but we don't start taking organ damage after a few hours. ;) Plus, after a while we're sitting in comfort as we explore thus expending even less energy.

I do now have a regular supply of water, so this isn't about chasing bladder fish, it just seems a little off.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Comments

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Sure, we need to eat and drink far too often, but I don't know of a survival game that's any different I suppose.
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Perhaps it is time one was? ;)

Cheers.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    On stable build I get away with only needing to eat or drink once per game-day. Feels pretty reasonable to me at least.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    That would be true if "once per game-day" didn't equate to "once every 10 minutes."

It goes hand-in-hand with the far-too-fast day/night cycle.
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    That would be true if "once per game-day" didn't equate to "once every 10 minutes."

It goes hand-in-hand with the far-too-fast day/night cycle.

Exactly.
  • nocommonsensenocommonsense Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221427Members
    If we're on this topic I think instead of a water and food gauge it could show medical measurements like blood pressure, pulse, neural waves, blood sugar levels, blood CO2 levels, that are color coded for urgency while the pda still reminds you what you should be doing. Rather than going straight to death, the player experiences debuffs associated with symptoms for things like dehydration before eventually succumbing to the final symptom, death. Similar to how drowning is setup (which I like), but with more shades in between full health and death. These sorts of things are really best expressed qualitatively, you can't give an exact number for how long until you dehydrate, it's subject to a thousand different variables in your body. Sure the game will have to calculate it but it can also add the appearance of complexity by incorporating random variation in how long before the next stage of debilitating symptoms happen. To me health bars are cartoony and actively detract from immersion, especially since this is packaged with VR. But currently we don't even have to worry about hypothermia so I'm not holding my breath for this level of realism. I figure this will be fodder for future mods.
    Intriguing ideas there.