Things migration

TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
ayacyci2xlkd.jpg
Things are getting worse. Why Alterra Tech. doesn't allow me to use lethal weapon? Dis thing is almost near my base in.. SAFE??? Shallows! What the point of all this Vortex or Gas Torpedos if half minute later it tries to eat me again!

Note: this safe shallows biome is the closest to ship. And most beautiful.
zr6bww95i2eg.jpg
v1rxy9c5v1gk.jpg

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Get a PRAWN, feed it drill bits.
  • TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    edited September 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    Get a PRAWN, feed it drill bits.

Drill cant kill it.

Upd. I've tried to attack it with a drill. It bited me, I used drill. No effect. It seems like the only solution is Seamoth discharge.
    It works. Reaper won't roll over the first time you graze it though. Takes a bit of effort.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    It was my understanding that a stock PRAWN would probably run out of hull points faster than the Reaper runs out of hit points in a conventional grapple-vs-drill arm fight. Perhaps a hull reinforcement upgrade will help. I'd still imagine he'll take quite a bit of drilling, especially because he won't sit still for you.

I've managed not to lure any into the Shallows so far. I save right before I go anywhere near the Aurora, and in one case I reverted because one did seem to be following me and I just went a different way.

Soon it will be time to go out to the Mountain wreck. I plan on taking a Propulsion Cannon and the 20 or so Crash I've bred plus a bunch of acid shrooms. I suppose I'll need something other than the Stasis Rifle to pin him in place since the bubble probably protects him from projectiles, so I guess I'll have to chance a bunch of Vortex Torpedoes. Too bad both of those PRAWN arms are in the damned Mountains or Dunes wrecks, so once again what you need to pass an obstacle is secured BEHIND that obstacle in staggeringly terrible game design... I guess I'll have to try it the hard way, with a Seamoth and the hand-held versions.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    orobouros wrote: »
    Soon it will be time to go out to the Mountain wreck. I plan on taking a Propulsion Cannon and the 20 or so Crash I've bred plus a bunch of acid shrooms. I suppose I'll need something other than the Stasis Rifle to pin him in place since the bubble probably protects him from projectiles, so I guess I'll have to chance a bunch of Vortex Torpedoes. Too bad both of those PRAWN arms are in the damned Mountains or Dunes wrecks, so once again what you need to pass an obstacle is secured BEHIND that obstacle in staggeringly terrible game design... I guess I'll have to try it the hard way, with a Seamoth and the hand-held versions.

You can with complete ease get past that reaper. I've never seen them near the wreck either. They're way to high up and to the South-West. The only thing to watch out for are the biters.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    orobouros wrote: »

You can with complete ease get past that reaper. I've never seen them near the wreck either. They're way to high up and to the South-West. The only thing to watch out for are the biters.

+
    The wreck is clean of reapers. And with PRAWN I scouted all Grand Reef with depth and Blood Lelp. Grapple Hook rules. And when you earn jet pack, it will be much more comfortable.

One of comrades suggested me to hunt reaper with stasis rifle and knife only :))
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    edited September 2016
    Prawn suit with just the claws is all you need, Just rip it apart with your claw hands. Though the drill should do more damage but for some reason it doesn't.
    edited September 2016
    IvanKeska wrote: »
    Prawn suit with just the claws is all you need, Just rip it apart with your claw hands. Though the drill should do more damage but for some reason it doesn't.

I don't understand what should I do. I've tried PRAWN with drill and claws with or without grappling me by reaper, tried stasis + knife.
    When I attacked it, it roars but after just roam around again without fast retreating. Seamoth discharge has the same effect, it just stops chewing me, but not retreat.
    Talissera wrote: »
    IvanKeska wrote: »

I don't understand what should I do. I've tried PRAWN with drill and claws with or without grappling me by reaper, tried stasis + knife.
    When I attacked it, it roars but after just roam around again without fast retreating. Seamoth discharge has the same effect, it just stops chewing me, but not retreat.

Well as long as creature leashing is still broken it won't retreat MUCH, just like everything else. Though I've actually gotten better results with Reapers than nearly everything else. Maybe size has something to do with it because I find that injured Reapers tend to high-tail it a good distance away, then come back about 30 to 60 seconds later. Most smaller critters just move a few yards away then come right back when you zap, stab, or gas them.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    I wonder if floaters stick to Reapers? I should test this.
    https://www.twitch.tv/squishifer/v/87493175
    According to this video there is only dagger is a lethal weapon (as it written in game manuals). Will try to test it evening.
  • ZachariasZacharias Join Date: 2016-08-18 Member: 221466Members
    well you're doing something very wrong.i get the hp upgrade, a drill arm, and a grappling hook, and grapple onto the reaper and murderrize him. usually the reaper takes about 15039$ of prawn suit hp before dieing. very strangely though when they die they just immediately dissapear.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    edited September 2016
    Floaters can stick to a reaper, but it's so difficult to do that it's not worth it. The problem is with the reaper model - namely, that only the first half of it is "real." Everything past it's pectoral fins is just an empty graphic with no collision to it (which probably explains a lot of their clipping issues).

Which is why, as we all know, the stasis rifle only work if you hit it in or near the head. Which is fine except that any other objects that enter that bubble (other than the player) also gets caught in the stasis field. So when you freeze the reaper and go to stick floaters on it's back they don't stick because that area has no collision detection and may as well not exist. If you try to stick them on the front half, however, you're working inside the stasis field and your floater won't push forward to stick to the reaper. The only time it works is if you use a very short timed shot that creates a very small stasis and then maybe you can squeeze a floater into the space between the bubble and end of the model.

Needless to say after this experiment concluded I just said "screw this nonsense" and went back to my new favorite method of using my propulsion cannon as a missile launcher.

0q22hf0gstxc.jpg

(I'm sure you can all figure it out)
  • RichieCRichieC Mars Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220235Members
    That's awesome! All I have is a bone shark near my spawn
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Floaters can stick to a reaper, but it's so difficult to do that it's not worth it. The problem is with the reaper model - namely, that only the first half of it is "real." Everything past it's pectoral fins is just an empty graphic with no collision to it (which probably explains a lot of their clipping issues).

Which is why, as we all know, the stasis rifle only work if you hit it in or near the head. Which is fine except that any other objects that enter that bubble (other than the player) also gets caught in the stasis field. So when you freeze the reaper and go to stick floaters on it's back they don't stick because that area has no collision detection and may as well not exist. If you try to stick them on the front half, however, you're working inside the stasis field and your floater won't push forward to stick to the reaper. The only time it works is if you use a very short timed shot that creates a very small stasis and then maybe you can squeeze a floater into the space between the bubble and end of the model.

Needless to say after this experiment concluded I just said "screw this nonsense" and went back to my new favorite method of using my propulsion cannon as a missile launcher.

0q22hf0gstxc.jpg

(I'm sure you can all figure it out)

I've tried to kill sandsharks with a drill and hook and decided that they cant be killed. They always ran away, so I thought that there is no point to kill things. According to video it is possible. Yeah, I know about reaper hitbox, but I didnt consider it's hp pool.

Personally I don't like to kill things, they are beautiful in their habitat, reapers are the most graceful in open water. And I hope they will respawn in it's biome.
    Well that generally is supposed to be how it always boils down, isn't it? "Possible, but so difficult as to not be worth the trouble". I didn't think it would be feasible to plain-old fight the Reaper with a Propulsion Cannon because you're 1 miss away from 80% damage, no? What if he decides to just take your hit and keep coming? You're dead.
    80% damage? More like 15. Because I'm in a PRAWN suit and not free floating with a Reaper around.
    edited September 2016
    At last!
    fql75qo46ctm.jpg
    Smth about 80 to 100% of diamond hardened dagger and stasis rifle. PRAWN riding with grapple is generally bad idea: with armor mod it still to squeshy and can outstand 3 reaper bites and still no control.

Now there is a new question: how to utilize this corpse? :))
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Talissera wrote: »
    At last!
    fql75qo46ctm.jpg
    Smth about 80 to 100% of diamond hardened dagger and stasis rifle. PRAWN riding with grapple is generally bad idea: with armor mod it still to squeshy and can outstand 3 reaper bites and still no control.

Now there is a new question: how to utilize this corpse? :))

Scan it.
  • Depth46Depth46 Join Date: 2016-09-09 Member: 222167Members
    Yeah I had a reef back come near my lifepod. I think it was a bug but could've been a migration if you think about it haha
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited September 2016
    I just ram anything shark size. Put a hull reinforce on a Seamoth, W+welder. Slam into the shark (any type), and repair after. Obviously useless on Reapers, and I don't bother to kill Reefbacks after one try for curiosity. (It got screwed up by a floater and was attempting to swim directly into the bottom...)

I'd guess that the best option for Reapers is stasis/knife, though. MAYBE you could get a good hit in with a Cyclops, but they move a lot, and faster than that big boat.

How about this: full stasis field on a reaper, then dump a bunch of crash in his face, then shoot one more crash into the swarm as the field dies, and see if you can get them to chain explode? Or perhaps acid shroom dump so they chain as well?

Then frantically switch back to stasis and repeat.
  • xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    To those saying to use the drill arm as a weapon.. in my experience it's a poor weapon. You would be better suited to using the claw arm which seems to deal a lot more damage overall. Not AMAZING damage mind you, but still 'good'. Bone Sharks and Stalkers usually take about 3 hits and Sand Sharks 3+. Reapers I dunno how many but your best bet is the claw or some other weapon combo like stasis/knife(as suggested above).

Having the reinforced hull is a must for this. Grappling arm is also useful but you might be better off with 2 claws instead for faster damage dealing? Im not sure if you can attack them while they are holding onto you, but double claw would be great for that.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    xRei wrote: »
    Having the reinforced hull is a must for this. Grappling arm is also useful but you might be better off with 2 claws instead for faster damage dealing? Im not sure if you can attack them while they are holding onto you, but double claw would be great for that.
    You can punch them while they're grabbing you. The one benefit of a grappling hook though is that you can hang on to them, as they'll try and flee if they take too much damage.
  • cy4ncy4n The Kingdom of Reginald Join Date: 2016-09-14 Member: 222316Members
    xRei wrote: »
    To those saying to use the drill arm as a weapon.. in my experience it's a poor weapon. You would be better suited to using the claw arm which seems to deal a lot more damage overall.
    Step a little closer to my PRAWN and say that.