Save the Rock Puncher!

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Haha, the rock puncher saved by turning it into a base wrecker. I can already see me scream in pain looking at all those breaches faster appearing than I can weld them ... rock puncher saved, mission completed

Creature attacks should get planned though. I mean it wouldn't work if you'd have dozens of bases and would need to defend each attack personally and can't explore anymore but only run from one base to the next defending it. Or a secret way to introduce multiplayer coop, but what would the single player do?

That means aside from reinforcements and bulkheads the base would need scanner rooms sending alarms of creature attacks via radios and activate defenses. Like base perimeter defenses.

But nevertheless the rock puncher would make a good base attacker. Maybe the only creature to instantly punch breaches.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2016
    zetachron wrote: »
    Haha, the rock puncher saved by turning it into a base wrecker.

The "Base Wrecker"... I like it!
    Creature attacks should get planned though. I mean it wouldn't work if you'd have dozens of bases and would need to defend each attack personally and can't explore anymore but only run from one base to the next defending it.

...the base would need scanner rooms sending alarms of creature attacks via radios and activate defenses. Like base perimeter defenses.

There would have to be a specific point in the game that enables the Rock Puncher siege, like unlocking a specific blueprint or getting the rad-suit. Additionally, there should be a cryptic automated distress signal recorded by one of the survivors, revealing the existence of the Rock Punchers to the player and triggering their sieges when played back. Example:

"To any survivors of the Aurora, this is Lt. Commander Dean! My base is under attack by what looks like... (*crash*) Oh crap! They're punching through the hull! I do not know how much time I have left so listen carefully! You must set up perimeter defense turrets around your base! The armory is located on the Aurora. I was unable to get there because of the radiation. Hurry! Find and set up the turrets before these things come after- (*static*)"

After that, you would have a few days to find and build a turret defense system before THEY come. Such a scenario would test the player's ability to prepare for an impending crisis, just as they had to think on their feet to put out the fire on the lifepod. Once repulsed, the Rock Punchers would leave you alone for a few days then reappear regularly.

Of course, the turrets would have to be non-lethal and merely repulse the attackers, not kill them.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    The rock Puncher could be programed to attack our base and turn it into a pile of ore and glass. B)
    edited March 2016
    Save The Base Wrecker!
  • puggeruggerpuggerugger UK Join Date: 2014-03-09 Member: 194626Members
    I like the idea of him being very defensive and passive, maybe you could lure sharks into him and BAM, it'd be nice to have more options than "Ram seamoth into" that aren't straight up boring old weapons
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited March 2016
    Turn rocky into a pet, trainable to do commands. Like a side kick companion or side punch. lol
  • DAOXDAOX denmark Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203909Members
    he sould maybe go to does bases that you dont visit that often or havent used in a long time. maybe you sould be able to build something that scares him of. or if you bulid on its territory ir would attack
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    Just a thought, but maybe this should be a poll? (Still so new as to be nervous about doing it himself.)
  • ThehipstergoronThehipstergoron Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215032Members
    SERIOUSLY DONT TAKE AWAY TERRAFORMING ANYWAY IT IS A REAL COOL FEATURE OF THE GAME!
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    SERIOUSLY DONT TAKE AWAY TERRAFORMING ANYWAY IT IS A REAL COOL FEATURE OF THE GAME!

Terraforming is the number one cause of boat in the save files.
    Aegil wrote: »

Terraforming is the number one cause of boat in the save files.

bloat*, I assume? And yeah, a bloated save file due to terrain changes is the main reason why Terraforming's being cut. But that doesn't mean the Rock Puncher has to be scrapped as well.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Be careful what you wish for...

I'm thinking that an adversary such as the Rock Puncher would present a real challenge, if it were properly implemented.

The ideal version of this critter actively seeks out bases and damages (but not completely destroys) them, unless there is a repulsion turret active. Occasionally, the Rock Puncher might even attack the defence turrets or perimeter warning system first in order to get a clean shot at the base.

Players would also have to carry out periodic patrols to drive them away. Rock Punchers might not be constrained to any particular biome, as they could be a free-roaming threat with a large aggro radius.

Might be worth looking into the usefulness of Rocky as a randomly occurring mid-tier threat, as a number of players have commented that there's nothing much to do after exploring Aurora and the other wreckage, building humungous bases and establishing a constant supply of food and water.

This should keep them on their toes.
  • DAOXDAOX denmark Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203909Members
    im thinking about the Exo suit. imagen going alon when you get punched so the exo suit fills with water and is getting crushed. it would be a Exo suit Bane. it sould be making som sort of sound when you are in its makeing goin to attack you radius. or make a sound when are going to get KOed!

btw sorry for bad english
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    DAOX wrote: »
    im thinking about the Exo suit. imagen going alon when you get punched so the exo suit fills with water and is getting crushed. it would be a Exo suit Bane. it sould be making som sort of sound when you are in its makeing goin to attack you radius. or make a sound when are going to get KOed!

btw sorry for bad english

Yes, all those exosuit nightmares we need
    • Rock Puncher crashing glass
    • Cave spiders attaching to back torso, while you hear them cut your circuitry and you see your hud slowly fading
    • Lava Larva attaching to your helm glass and melting through to your face
    • a giant floater falling down on you, sucking you inside
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    [*] a giant floater falling down on you, sucking you inside
    Hooow yeah ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • chicagotedchicagoted WNY Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215280Members
    There are the large rocks that are around the map with the floaters on them. I'd say have a mod that lets the Cyclops move them, the rock puncher can break them for a rare material or something
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    Hey, I love all these ideas. I'm thinking that the Rock Puncher shouldn't appear until the mid to late game. Imagine having him be kinda like the sand worm, or if any of you know DnD, the Umber Hulk. In my vision of the rock puncher, all of him is submerged in sand or rock. The only visible part of him looks like an ore deposit, and when the player attempts to break it, he wakes up, and runs away. After that, the player's base has a chance of being attacked. The more rock punchers the player has woken up, and the farther the player is from their base, the higher the chance. Also, they should have their own special biome only accessible by finding a dormant lava tube to the area, and no other life should exist where they do. Kind of an "Ancient Lost Species" thing. Maybe they could add demolition charges to the game instead of teraforming, and the path to the area needs to be blasted open.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    How about,spawn giant sandstone chunks that are called "mantis hives" across the map that only rock punchers can break?It wouldn't cause terraforming issues because it's just basically large sandstone chunks.Maybe when a Mantis hive is destroyed,it spawns in a new type of creature that the rock puncher will automatically kill and eat.This would fit in it's name and not cause any lag.It would also stay true to it's concept art.

Maybe to elaborate further on the mantis,it could be as small as the rockgrub and it's behaviour would be swarm like.Perhaps it leaves and exits the nest freely but stays only a certain distance from it.Or maybe it leave the nest in the night and basically free roams and eats dead fish and when morning comes,the mantis will teleport or just rush home.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Perhaps the rock puncher could juts punch larger versions of the sandstone chunks that spawn in its food source when it gets destroyed?

You would then see a Rockpuncher break open a rock,to find several small fish or shrimp inside that it would immediately kill and eat.These sandstone chunks could be called " (name of prey) hives" and it could respawn at random places.To make it more likely,have the prey swim around the hive and flee inside when anyone approaches.Maybe it can also be cracked open by the players but they get attacked by angry prey.It could mistake the players base for one of the rocks and punch it,causing structural damage and leaks.The player should be able to defend him/herself with the repulsion cannon.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Necrom wrote: »
    Hey, I love all these ideas. I'm thinking that the Rock Puncher shouldn't appear until the mid to late game. Imagine having him be kinda like the sand worm, or if any of you know DnD, the Umber Hulk. In my vision of the rock puncher, all of him is submerged in sand or rock. The only visible part of him looks like an ore deposit, and when the player attempts to break it, he wakes up, and runs away. After that, the player's base has a chance of being attacked. The more rock punchers the player has woken up, and the farther the player is from their base, the higher the chance. Also, they should have their own special biome only accessible by finding a dormant lava tube to the area, and no other life should exist where they do. Kind of an "Ancient Lost Species" thing. Maybe they could add demolition charges to the game instead of teraforming, and the path to the area needs to be blasted open.

A continuation from this, along with general ideas.

Simply make him free-roaming and Neutral (Won't attack unless provoked), will attack any predators coming too close (Might sucker-punch a reaper if grabbed), can send you and others flying when punched, can be tamed as a defensive creature (same could go with gasopods maybe), and will only punch floater rocks (to keep the rock puncher name).
  • A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members
    I honestly just pictured him as a creature that kind of walks around and attacks you, similar to the crabsquid, but some of these ideas are pretty interesting.
  • Jeffman12Jeffman12 Join Date: 2008-12-05 Member: 65662Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's plenty of stuff for such a creature to punch without needing to morph terrain. I think it could exist just fine by punching: Fish, shellfish, coral, potential predators, players, hab structures, or just basically anything that may seem edible at the time.
  • coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    Jeffman12 wrote: »
    There's plenty of stuff for such a creature to punch without needing to morph terrain. I think it could exist just fine by punching: Fish, shellfish, coral, potential predators, players, hab structures, or just basically anything that may seem edible at the time.

Definitely agree on this. It would be a shame to see a fully rigged and working creature thrown away. Just having him wander the dunes passively would be better than nothing.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    coldsnap wrote: »
    Jeffman12 wrote: »

Definitely agree on this. It would be a shame to see a fully rigged and working creature thrown away. Just having him wander the dunes passively would be better than nothing.

Quite. If everything has to have a unique purpose, Shuttlebugs and Rabbit Rays should be on the chopping block too...

Just having these things wandering around doing stuff would be fine, they don't HAVE to deform terrain, do they?
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    As I have said, with the introduction of PRAWN there have been resource nodes which could be what the Rock Puncher punches.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Have it occasionally punch the larger resource blocks in the game and leave a scattering of that particular resource in its place.
    Then folks who don't have the PRAWN suit yet, can have a chance to find larger portions of needed resources.
    B)
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    One way for the rock puncher to remain usable(that has been suggested multiple times) is if they hunted down and broke the resource deposits that can now be found in the world, And when they break, Rockgrubs spawns from it, Which the rock puncher eats. And Rockgrubs also spawn if the player breaks the resource deposits with their PRAWN suit, Potentially attracting hungry Rock Punchers.
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    Pass this quote around in the forms #SAVETHEROCKPUNCHER
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Ok, I know this is sort of necro posting, but bear with me. I've just had an idea which might just work. I just need your opinions on this.
    There have been some nice ideas already (it punches resource deposits, it attacks bases...) but I've had an idea which might actually make it get a bit more involved in the story. Which means the following could contain spoilers so be warned.
    My idea is that it attacks precursor bases. This means that the story might have to be tweaked a bit but not too much.
    The tweakage I had in mind was that the precursors actually experimented on them too (like the rockgrubs) but the adult rock punchers escaped too from the disease facility and fought against it alongside the sea dragon. Then they became best buddies. Which would mean that they should be found around the inactive lava zone, still punching precursor bases but also going into defense mode when approached too much.

What do you think?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Ok, I know this is sort of necro posting, but bear with me. I've just had an idea which might just work. I just need your opinions on this.
    There have been some nice ideas already (it punches resource deposits, it attacks bases...) but I've had an idea which might actually make it get a bit more involved in the story. Which means the following could contain spoilers so be warned.
    My idea is that it attacks precursor bases. This means that the story might have to be tweaked a bit but not too much.
    The tweakage I had in mind was that the precursors actually experimented on them too (like the rockgrubs) but the adult rock punchers escaped too from the disease facility and fought against it alongside the sea dragon. Then they became best buddies. Which would mean that they should be found around the inactive lava zone, still punching precursor bases but also going into defense mode when approached too much.

What do you think?

I don't know, I still kind of like either the resource punching or the base punching. I especially like the resource punching, considering that many players might not know what the resource deposits are, and many players might not know what resources are in them once they get the PRAWN (e.g. what is the difference between diamond/quartz deposits, and which deposits give what material)