How Do I Build the Minimap?

digitaldigital Join Date: 2011-01-30 Member: 79669Members
I am trying to get a simple functional map setup. I've followed the guides, got the map loaded, but still am unable to use commander mode. When in a CC, my view is stuck inside the chair. I have commander view entities above the map, but lack a minimap, and according to the wiki I require a minimap to properly use comm view. Yet, the wiki does not provide any information on how to build the minimap.

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You should use launchpad.exe for that. Start Launch Pad, click on create new mod, then click on the source Button to open your source folder. Create a new folder inside your source folder named mapsrc. Now copy your map you've created into this mapsrc folder (or Start a new one). In Launch Pad, click on the Builder Tool and Run it, then press on build. It makes the map ready for playing now. When you click Run NS2 in Launch Pad, it will Launch NS2 with your created mod, so make sure to start it from Launch Pad and don't Launch it via Steam.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    And the minimap_extends needs to be a perfect square in the x and y axis respectively.
  • digitaldigital Join Date: 2011-01-30 Member: 79669Members
    Beautiful. Thank you both very much. Wish Editor.exe would demand it be launched via launchpad.

minimap_extends does not appear to require a perfect square, atleast in this map instance.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2016
    well afaik the perfect square is needed so the minimap doesn't get distorted. It will display though even if not a perfect square
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    If the x and z dimensions are not equal, minimap icons will not show in the correct location in-game.

Also, to fix the camera being stuck issue, you need to have at least one "commander_camera" entity in your map somewhere. This allows builder to create a height map which is used to determine how high off the ground the commander camera should be. You don't need to mess with any of the settings, just click one down and leave it be.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    @BeigeAlert can someone "fix editor", that minimap_extends will be zoomed only as perfect square ? (both sides will be sized equally)
    or release this tool as open source (choose license at your will) for modding community to freely add functionalities like this for you.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ZycaR wrote: »
    @BeigeAlert can someone "fix editor", that minimap_extends will be zoomed only as perfect square ? (both sides will be sized equally)
    or release this tool as open source (choose license at your will) for modding community to freely add functionalities like this for you.

We cannot open source the tools without open sourcing the game as well.

I'll take a look into the square minimap problem though... but is it really a huge issue? I've seen maybe one new map in the past month.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I've seen maybe one new map in the past month.

Be careful what you don't wish for. Maybe I'll just poop out like forty half finished maps.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    that's like 10% of your current work in progress maps right @Zavaro ?