Reapers are around the Aurora

Dj0219Dj0219 Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217102Members
g73pa8f8mg6f.png
OMG!!! This thing just came out of nowhere

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I hope so, they should keep you from exploring the Aurora too early. Although they shouldn't spawn in your face.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That terrifying scream you hear of in the distance

That vague shape at the edge of visibility

Dem reapers do not take kindly to your presence

Fear the reaper!
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Fear the reaper!

Although they suffer from dentophobia. Last time I drilled their teeth they fled as fast as they could!
  • Dj0219Dj0219 Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217102Members
    edited September 2016
    I saw it behind the aurora earlier and ran like my life depended on it and then I was around the side of it getting some Materials and there was a scream and then a white body flash past then I saw it, it hit me twice
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    If you stay glued to the side of the Aurora and close to the surface you can sneak past that one. Then turn right as soon as an opening appears in the wreckage.
    Fathom wrote: »
    If you stay glued to the side of the Aurora and close to the surface you can sneak past that one. Then turn right as soon as an opening appears in the wreckage.

Toward the back or front?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Dj0219 wrote: »
    Fathom wrote: »

Toward the back or front?

From the back towards the front. For the most part, as long as you stay above the "raised" area, you are safe. It's the "plains" towards the Mushroom Forest you need to avoid.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    It is incredibly easy to get into the Aurora even with just swimming, still is terrifying if you're not used to the Reapers, though. Had some whiskey before I made that journey...
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited September 2016

Fear the reaper!

I get ya :smiley:

Altho what OP might be referring to is the kind-of bug that makes a Reaper spawns extremely close to you out of nowhere. The bug is the fact that the reaper takes the place of a random fish on the spawn table where you're in that specific region of the map.

Normally, they're not supposed to do that in fact. they should spawn away from the player and the player would hear the reaper long before he/she actually sees it, giving us the time to either get closer or retreat before meeting it.

Theres this card on the Trello boards referring to this issue

• LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited September 2016
    Heh... Reaper grabs my Seamoth. Suddenly a build up sound can be heard coming from said Seamoth. Then.... FSHOOM!!! The Reaper instantly lets go and swims away REALLY fast, shocked and frightened at having an electrifying experience. :)
    I'm having trouble finding the seamoth blueprints and the other ones as well since the update
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Reapers enjoy wide open spaces. Be agoraphobic.

You know you're entering a Reaper area when the sea floor starts to look like a desert. See, that's the real PINTA of Reapers - the environments they're placed in are flat & featureless. There is nowhere to hide, no terrain to put between you & them. All you can do is run and Reapers can outrun anything.

Honestly, I find it to be a rather lame way to artificially inflate their danger. It would be far more interesting to have Reaper biomes be filled with jagged terrain. Nooks, crannies, little spots where you could hide to avoid them. Then getting past them would be a stealth challenge. As it is now, it's basically either "Seamoth + Shock Defense, and hope you get past before it falls apart" or "Get a Cyclops and ignore them entirely." In other words, it's based on luck instead of skill.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Fear the reaper!

I get ya :smiley:

Altho what OP might be referring to is the kind-of bug that makes a Reaper spawns extremely close to you out of nowhere. The bug is the fact that the reaper takes the place of a random fish on the spawn table where you're in that specific region of the map.

Normally, they're not supposed to do that in fact. they should spawn away from the player and the player would hear the reaper long before he/she actually sees it, giving us the time to either get closer or retreat before meeting it.

Theres this card on the Trello boards referring to this issue

Yeah, I knew it was a known bug at one time, but for some reason I had it in the category of "stuff I heard had been fixed". That card is from late 2015, so if it's the same bug from all that time, I'm pretty sorely disappointed. It hadn't happened to me for a very long time until the PRAWN update, but now I can confirm they will definitely spawn right in front of you, basically with you already in their mandibles, so it's pretty darned unfair. That's not to say it will happen often, but it HAS happened.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    orobouros wrote: »
    Yeah, I knew it was a known bug at one time, but for some reason I had it in the category of "stuff I heard had been fixed". That card is from late 2015, so if it's the same bug from all that time, I'm pretty sorely disappointed. It hadn't happened to me for a very long time until the PRAWN update, but now I can confirm they will definitely spawn right in front of you, basically with you already in their mandibles, so it's pretty darned unfair. That's not to say it will happen often, but it HAS happened.

Yep. In some games they'll spawn, in some others they wont. Its all about luck really ..... or bad luck however you decide to look at it :wink:

• MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    You know you're entering a Reaper area when the sea floor starts to look like a desert. See, that's the real PINTA of Reapers - the environments they're placed in are flat & featureless. There is nowhere to hide, no terrain to put between you & them. All you can do is run and Reapers can outrun anything.
    Get jiggy with it. Not just a lyric, but also a survival strategy.

Sort of similar to stalkers and sharks, where you let them come at you then dodge to the side, except with reapers you have to dodge up or down instead.

As long as you know where they are, they're not too hard to avoid even without a vehicle (though harder than the other predators, of course). It's when you lose sight of them and they come up through the ground that you're in trouble.
  • FryerDevilFryerDevil Austrailia Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220657Members
    The same thing happened to me except it kept going in and out of the ground! I had to keep following its tail so it wouldn't eat me :{, never been killed by a reaper (yet)...
    The reapers are in front and in back of the aurora now
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    They always have been.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Although what OP might be referring to is the kind-of bug that makes a Reaper spawns extremely close to you out of nowhere. The bug is the fact that the reaper takes the place of a random fish on the spawn table where you're in that specific region of the map.

I had a Reaper Leviathan spawn in the biome where Lifepod 17 is found; I was exploring for fragments and it suddenly started swimming around looking for dinner... I had my Exosuit by then, but I attacked it over 50 times and never could kill it sadly. But my game ended up bugging pretty badly with my Lifepod 5 vanishing, so I just started over again.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited September 2016
    I was always terrified of the aurora - it is stressful to explore... even without reapers.
    Although what OP might be referring to is the kind-of bug that makes a Reaper spawns extremely close to you out of nowhere. The bug is the fact that the reaper takes the place of a random fish on the spawn table where you're in that specific region of the map.

I'd love it if the reapers wandered more though... something like having them spawn and despawn at certain times of day... it'd had to replayability.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    They always have been.

But there is like four in all really close to it now
    Avimimus wrote: »
    I was always terrified of the aurora - it is stressful to explore... even without reapers.

I'd love it if the reapers wandered more though... something like having them spawn and despawn at certain times of day... it'd had to replayability.

I think they move right before night fall that's when I first saw it
  • TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members
    I'm really only afraid of reapers when I'm not in a sub or when reapers start swimming through the terrain. Of the later they are terrifying in that they'll drag your exosuit through the terrain and into the endless void of no return. Although I do like it when they drag you out of the water, swimming through the air. Kinda funny.

Now if they lifted you into the water, flung you hard through the air only to smack into the Aurora then that'd be freaky. Especially if they charged after you to try to repeat the process until they can get to that tasty human morsel inside.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    One of them decided to follow me home... :disappointed:

j0wv6q9hxi57.jpg

So yea, that cliff the reaper is next too is the safe shallows.
    CaptainRon wrote: »
    One of them decided to follow me home... :disappointed:

j0wv6q9hxi57.jpg

So yea, that cliff the reaper is next too is the safe shallows.

Oh man I'm sorry
    I still haven't found the moon pool or the prawn