Remove Reaper Leviathan from around the ship

UnderwaterQUEEN2314UnderwaterQUEEN2314 Indianapolis, IN Join Date: 2016-06-25 Member: 219056Members
I think it would only enhance gameplay if you removed the Reaper Leviathan from around the Aurora, it frustrates me greatly that everytime I near the Aurora, I have to worry about it finding me and eating me.

Comments

• That_Gaming_Guy1That_Gaming_Guy1 A Strange Water Planet Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216198Members
    well i think it fits. i kinda think its attracted to it in a way. plus it gives a level of difficulty. you arent suppost to go there without a challenge. wanna remove the challenge? press ~ and type in creative.
  • Luke27262Luke27262 High Point Join Date: 2016-06-04 Member: 218104Members
    No, just no. If you're afraid of the reaper. Don't be.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    The reaper shows up by the engines and on the opposite end of the ship (A diagram shows him popping up near the front closest to the mushroom forest, but I've never seen him in that part of the ship personally).

If your aim is to repair the engines or loot some supply crates, you can do that easily enough on the shallow side of the ship closest to the lifepod without any worry of the reaper coming remotely near you.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I don't understand, isn't the entire point of playing video games to get some kind of challenge out of it by adding boss type creatures to certain high profit areas...
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    The Aurora is one of the few places where you "have" to be that contains a reaper. Especially the one at the Mushroom Forest is inconvenient. For most people, it adds to the thrill, so I don't think your suggestion will see much support.

If I may give a few tips to hopefully make the reapers more manageable:
    • The reapers do not dwell in what is roughly the straight path from the lifepod to the Aurora's back half. You can always safely make this trip.
    • I recommend creating a small base on the sandbanks at the back half. The one most North, recognizable by a "dent" that's perfect for parking the Seamoth, is my preferred choice. So you know, you can see the reaper from afar there under some circumstances, but I've never had it come anywhere close enough to aggro. Anyway, by creating a base, you have a good spot to place a beacon to help navigate that safe path I just talked about. As well, the base makes for a good place to savescum if so needed, if only to help remove some tension.
    • Avoid entering the Aurora from the front. The secret side entrance is much safer.
    • The Aurora is not a priority, so you could choose to first get the stuff for the electric field together to help ward off reapers. Or, again, remove some tension.
    • Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly certain reapers cannot enter the mushroom forest. So, you can always hide there when dealing with that particular reaper. For the one at the back, I recommend not going there until you have a Cyclops and stasis rifle.
  • Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
    edited June 2016
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Yeah, thats how I usually do it and it always works.
    And for the OP's ideas, yes it would definitely kill the thrill and the fun, as the poster before me said.

If you have a Seamoth the Aurora is very easy to reach already, but even with a seaglider its easy, keep to the ocean floor, find ridges, coral tubes or other things to hide in or behind, find corals on the oceanfloor that emitting bubbles to replenish your oxygen or swim to the surface fast when the reaper swimming away (the area around the backend of the Aurora is very shallow).
    Always listen for the reaper, check how far he goes and you learn pretty fast the safest way to take.

• lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    The reaper leaves the area after you fix the reactor and the radiation clears out.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    So the reaper is attracted to the lethal amounts of radiation.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited June 2016
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    The reaper leaves the area after you fix the reactor and the radiation clears out.

I never knew that... Good to know since then the large number of supply boxes and resources on the dark side of the ship would be easy pickings!

I doubt it, since he also shows up in the Dunes and the Mountains, and in large numbers at that. I figure the Reapers are hanging out around the ship merely to dissuade you from going in and fixing the reactor, to make that part of the storyline more challenging. Assuming that is, you don't know about the 'secret' entrance which is reaper-less. Maybe they should have that entrance sealed up and you can only get in the "easy way" if you have a Welder...? Otherwise you'll have to take the front entrance and sneak past the patrolling Reaper there.
  • Jpop20Jpop20 Los Angeles Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221803Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    lorcogoth wrote: »

I never knew that... Good to know since then the large number of supply boxes and resources on the dark side of the ship would be easy pickings!

I doubt it, since he also shows up in the Dunes and the Mountains, and in large numbers at that. I figure the Reapers are hanging out around the ship merely to dissuade you from going in and fixing the reactor, to make that part of the storyline more challenging. Assuming that is, you don't know about the 'secret' entrance which is reaper-less. Maybe they should have that entrance sealed up and you can only get in the "easy way" if you have a Welder...? Otherwise you'll have to take the front entrance and sneak past the patrolling Reaper there.

Why a welder rather than a laser cutter?
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Assuming that is, you don't know about the 'secret' entrance which is reaper-less. Maybe they should have that entrance sealed up.
    Welp, they sealed it :neutral:
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    edited August 2016
    I like the added threat of the Reaper Leviathon around the Aurora, I love the tension I feel when I approach the Aurora

y'know thinking things like:-
    > Will it spot me?
    > Will it eat me? If he/she/it spots me?
    > Will I survive my encouter with "big boris" over there?
    > Would my Seamoth survive if "massive marley" grabs it?
    Etc.

I love these sensations I get when nearing the crashed and exploded Aurora
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I like the added threat of the Reaper Leviathon around the Aurora, I love the tension I feel when I approach the Aurora

y'know thinking things like:-
    > Will it spot me?
    > Will it eat me? If he/she/it spots me?
    > Will I survive my encouter with "big boris" over there?
    > Would my Seamoth survive if "massive marley" grabs it?
    Etc.

I love these sensations I get when nearing the crashed and exploded Aurora

> It's coming from the walls though the sea floor
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    > It's coming from the walls though the sea floor

I do see that often in-game but it doesn't bother me and i'm sure it will be fixed in the game (Hopefully)
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    to be honest, the mouth of the leviathan is easily thwarted. just be a small object hiding under the bow of the ship. it works against anything.
    I'm gonna get you, said the leviathan
    the player moves under the boat's bow
    the leviathan charges
    oww, the leviathan just got a face full of boat
    subnautica____do_fear_the_reaper_by_dertodesbote-da2kyso.jpg
    speaking of leviathan (getting the picture achievement :P sorry)
    Luke27262 wrote: »
    No, just no. If you're afraid of the reaper. Don't be.
    insert don't fear the reaper-blue oyster cult
  • WarmindWarmind Connecticut Join Date: 2016-04-13 Member: 215710Members
    The reaper shows up by the engines and on the opposite end of the ship (A diagram shows him popping up near the front closest to the mushroom forest, but I've never seen him in that part of the ship personally).

If your aim is to repair the engines or loot some supply crates, you can do that easily enough on the shallow side of the ship closest to the lifepod without any worry of the reaper coming remotely near you.

They covered up the shortcut into the engine room, this might be temporary but I don't know.
  • WarmindWarmind Connecticut Join Date: 2016-04-13 Member: 215710Members
    Sigmalx wrote: »

The leviathan would be terrifying if it didn't have a posterior where it's chin should be...
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Warmind wrote: »

The leviathan would be terrifying if it didn't have a posterior where it's chin should be...

image.jpg?w=555&c=1
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Warmind wrote: »

If that's a posterior, he's not having a good time...
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    edited August 2016
    In case anyone is reading this and genuinely wants a safe way to approach the ship -- get in a seaglide or seamoth and approach the Aurora from its bottom left side. Hug the sides and stay on the surface if possible. There will be a hole on your right eventually (it may be underwater) that'll let you slip into the front entrance with a lot of geometry that is unfriendly for a reaper to follow. There WILL be at least one reaper under you by this point but if you're lucky it won't be close enough to the surface to immediately aggro you. But don't waste any time.

DO NOT APPROACH FROM THE BACK OR RIGHT SIDE. That is a practically a hive of reapers and the only large, dangerous structure you'll be entering is a digestive tract.
    In case anyone is reading this and genuinely wants a safe way to approach the ship -- get in a seaglide or seamoth and approach the Aurora from its bottom left side. Hug the sides and stay on the surface if possible. There will be a hole on your right eventually (it may be underwater) that'll let you slip into the front entrance with a lot of geometry that is unfriendly for a reaper to follow. There WILL be at least one reaper under you by this point but if you're lucky it won't be close enough to the surface to immediately aggro you. But don't waste any time.

DO NOT APPROACH FROM THE BACK OR RIGHT SIDE. That is a practically a hive of reapers and the only large, dangerous structure you'll be entering is a digestive tract.

I mentioned that earlier by saying hug the bow of the ship. it works on sharks and other large ocean predators.