Subnautica Multiplayer: When, if, how, and why. - Subnautica

123457»

Comments

• ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    Flayra wrote: »
    Our thoughts on this have become more clear now, as we've added more to the game and see how much work we still have to do on the game.

We are NOT going to be adding multiplayer of any kind to Subnautica. We would have to start over from scratch and it would take us years of work to do it.

I know that's not what you guys want to hear but we have our hands FULL with the basic v1.0 version of Subnautica.

My opinion: Awesome decision.
    Why: every game nowadays gets multiplayered, ruining the submersive gameplay for singleplayers.

I wouldnt have liked the thought of a subnautica multiplayer^^

• tokamstokams Las Maliborski Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221370Members
    ElMonstro wrote: »
    Why: every game nowadays gets multiplayered, ruining the submersive gameplay for singleplayers.

I wouldnt have liked the thought of a subnautica multiplayer^^
    I perfectly understand it is not MP game.
    But What? How is that your argument against MP, how can you even say that multiplayer will ruin your gameplay experience, if it will in no way affect your gameplay AT ALL. Its like saying -"stop selling ice cream, i don't eat ice cream"
  • McKabyMcKaby England Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207291Members
    I have to agree with a few comments so far.

I understand the decision to make Subnautica a singleplayer game, it works well as such and is set up more for a singleplayer survival game.

However, it would be nice to see a multiplayer survival game within the Subnautica ethos as it is something that hasn't been done yet in a well designed game.

Also, Tokams as for myself, a lot of "Survival multiplayer" games I tend to keep find devolve into another Battlefield or CoD game, just with having to craft your weapons, which is not something I enjoy, I don't play PvP games that much any more.
  • Kapanator13Kapanator13 Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221673Members
    I thoroughly enjoy this game as is, but I'm not gonna lie, I would love it if I could invite someone into my game to see my base or to ride along with me in the Cyclops. They could take the Sea Moth or Prawn out on an excursion whilst I trail behind and monitor or something. But, I'm having a blast on my own right now. No complaints here.
  • NitoNito Germany Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221631Members
    You can say what you want (^^), but in my view, this game doesn't need a multiplayer.
    Why? If you play with someone else, the game would "end" after a short time i think.
    If it comes, it is ok and i would enjoy it, too^^ But it is nothing this Game really needs, it
    is fantastic as it is and the only question for me is: what comes with the next big update^^
  • tokamstokams Las Maliborski Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221370Members
    McKaby wrote: »
    Also, Tokams as for myself, a lot of "Survival multiplayer" games I tend to keep find devolve into another Battlefield or CoD game, just with having to craft your weapons, which is not something I enjoy, I don't play PvP games that much any more.
    I don't want the game dissolve into rust, ark or whatever, i just wanted to be able to play with my friend in coop.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited August 2016
    I have fun singleplayer, and would love multiplayer as well. I'll restart once the plot is in. :D If you wanted to get REALLY crazy, procedural biomes ala minecraft generation and starships to other waterworlds...

ALREADY it puts no mans sky to shame, for a fraction of the price. I'd happily shell out for a multiplayer version, this was never billed as that.
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members
    I bought the game because of the freaking multiplayer idea. Very dissapointing.
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    I wanted to say I registered to this forum JUST to tell the developers I support them in this decision. It couldn't have been an easy one, with the pressure to have this sort of thing.

I DO think Subnautica would, in a perfect world, possibly benefit from multiplayer done well. I also think in a perfect world it would benefit for having a procedural world mode as well as the handcrafted story-oriented one.
    Thing is, though, we aren't living in that perfect world. And those of who like explorey-explorey-survivey-survivey games have recently collectively learned a very, very harsh lesson about getting too excited about pie-in-the-sky projects. I shan't say more on that particular topic, but that Unknown Worlds are keeping their promises on a leash and working on making something coherent and solid reassures me a lot.

If Subnautica's developers are focusing more on what they know they can do instead of biting off more than they can chew, that's awesome. It's on us now to make sure their efforts are rewarded so that they'll have the confidence and resources needed to dive into deeper waters.

(I also want to point out that loneliness and smallness are two major recurring themes in Subnautica, so finding a way to preserve that feeling in a thereotical multiplayer mode would be a big design challenge in itself. The devs already have a lot of big design challenges to currently chew through, nevermind the hard part of coding them.)
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Call me an old fart from the 'old days' but I likes me a great Single Player Game and that's what Subnautica is shaping up to be. Finally... a group of Devs who won't cave to the masses and shoehorn in Multiplayer because 'that's what everyone else has done'...
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    I agree with the no Multiplayer if we had that, I would lose the feeling that I got when I first played Subnautica, the feeling of being stranded and alone on a hostile planet; although, I would like a companion of some sort but that won't happen will it? Regardless of that fact I still love this game but it would be really cool to have new threats, new tech and new landmasses to explore Keep up the good work and development of this game I don't want it to end so fast
  • Claire_CosmiqueClaire_Cosmique France Join Date: 2016-06-10 Member: 218361Members
    it's still sad, in a sense, I would like to invite cooperation some friends.
This discussion has been closed.