About the Scanner...

RikRik Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221552Members
So, I think the scanner a very complex device to be created so easily.
(2x titaniums and 1x battery? seriously?).
It would be interesting to put it as an additional of pods?
My opinion is that the Scanner should follow two paths:

- Creating a modified recipe in order to be a more complex item
or
- Add It in pods, with the excuse that:
"The scanner can be used to read various structures and creatures,
and consider whether certain living forms or mineral
can be ingested in case of dehydration or starvation"

The players are asking for more "realism" in the game, so I think this is an interesting point. What do you think?

Comments

• RikRik Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221552Members
    Yup... they could add the scanner in one of the Pods destroyed or some debris Aurora, marked with the "radio signal" as did one of the most recent updates... i like that idea too
  • PhydroPhydro Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221299Members
    It's a really basic thing you want as early as possible to do literally anything. It doesn't need to be harder to make. If anything, the game needs a billboard that says you need to build it as soon as possible.

It's true you need this as soon as possible. That said, I've also been thinking the recipe doesn't make sense. Just from how it functions, it would make sense that it would at least take a computer chip. The issue with that is it would need silver, and most new players have no way of knowing that the sandstone in the kelp forests and grassy plains is where to get it. Doesn't help that sandstone is visually identical to limestone.

Really, I feel like we ought to need to scan the acid mushrooms and the fish for the A.I. to unlock battery and food recipes, so I like the idea of finding the scanner in a nearby pod, or even just having it in your lifepod storage. It's such a crucial piece of survival equipment in the story, and it's odd that it isn't there.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Perhaps it could be on the ground in your escape pod, as part of the pod's standard survival equipment (like how some pods have radiation suits inside - that is discussed in an aurora pda) that got knocked onto the floor during the crash sequence? Wouldn't that the be the best of both worlds? :)
  • FryerDevilFryerDevil Austrailia Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220657Members
    What if it is in the life pod in the shallow reef? No danger and is very easy to notice O:
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    FryerDevil wrote: »
    What if it is in the life pod in the shallow reef? No danger and is very easy to notice O:

Novice players nay miss the very important tool if so, which is why having it in your own lifepod at the start and having your pda tell you to pick it up would make the most sense :tongue:
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    Perhaps it could be on the ground in your escape pod, as part of the pod's standard survival equipment (like how some pods have radiation suits inside - that is discussed in an aurora pda) that got knocked onto the floor during the crash sequence? Wouldn't that the be the best of both worlds? :)

yes to this or maybe it could be in the ''bench'' container in the lifepod where the nutrient bars//water//flares are. Right now its so easy to make its not really an issue to just give it to the player at the start of the game. Maybe even send a meesage on-screen to tell the player to pick it up in the bench container after the crash sequence is done .... i dunno
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Phydro wrote: »
    It's a really basic thing you want as early as possible to do literally anything. It doesn't need to be harder to make. If anything, the game needs a billboard that says you need to build it as soon as possible.

It's true you need this as soon as possible. That said, I've also been thinking the recipe doesn't make sense. Just from how it functions, it would make sense that it would at least take a computer chip. The issue with that is it would need silver, and most new players have no way of knowing that the sandstone in the kelp forests and grassy plains is where to get it. Doesn't help that sandstone is visually identical to limestone.

Really, I feel like we ought to need to scan the acid mushrooms and the fish for the A.I. to unlock battery and food recipes, so I like the idea of finding the scanner in a nearby pod, or even just having it in your lifepod storage. It's such a crucial piece of survival equipment in the story, and it's odd that it isn't there.

This line from the databank entry:

1x Assorted replacement parts

Perhaps a computerchip is among these parts?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Phydro wrote: »

This line from the databank entry:

1x Assorted replacement parts

Perhaps a computerchip is among these parts?

@Enderguy059 It would be way too easy for a new player to accidentally waste their precious computer chip on something other than a scanner. Realistically the only way to make the scanner recipe harder is to give the player a scanner from the get-go. It's just too important for basic gameplay to be hard to get.
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    edited August 2016

I would rather suggest to add it to the survivalbox of the Rescuepod.
    The Alterracorp is a highly advanced techcorp, so would they really send any survivors down in an emergency without lensing them a tool for scanning stuff if its eadible or poisonous?

How does this idea sound to you guys:

The first scanner you get for free can only read small fishs and plants if they are poisonous or not.
    But its upgradable. Scanner MK I Simple food
    Scanner MK II can read samples of small tech
    Scanner MK III maybe bigger samples and larges creatures like a reefback
    And the final scanner MK IV then everything available. So that you dont waste inventoryspace every step need the one from before as ingredient with some techstuff to advance it.

So MK I to II:
    Scanner MK I + 2 Copper Wire + Computer Chip

II to III
    Scanner MK II + 2 Copper Wire + Wiring Kit + Computer Chip

III to IV
    Scanner MK III + 4 Copper Wires + Advanced Wiring Kit + 2 Computer Chips.

Maybe even some special alloys in the MK IV part, so its not so early to gain.
    This would increase the feeling of really needing to search and scavenge every nook and cranny, for finding the scanner step samples and materials for upgrading it in my eyes :)
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    ElMonstro wrote: »
    The first scanner you get for free can only read small fishs and plants if they are poisonous or not.
    But its upgradable. Scanner MK I Simple food
    Scanner MK II can read samples of small tech
    Scanner MK III maybe bigger samples and larges creatures like a reefback
    And the final scanner MK IV then everything available. So that you dont waste inventoryspace every step need the one from before as ingredient with some techstuff to advance it.

Here's my problem with this idea - all our upgrading of tools/components is done at the Modification Station. We need fragments to build a modification station, and your basic scanner would not allow us to scan those fragments.

I think it would be acceptable to have the scanner require a computer chip and then provide a free scanner in the lifepod. However, who builds more than one scanner? You could change the recipe and give the player a free one, but then no one would ever use the recipe. I really think this is an area where gameplay / game balance trumps realism - is making the tool a bit too easy? Probably. But the alternatives just seem worse.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Or you put a basic scanner in the pod compartment, which is just very slow with scanning and you can build yourself a proper one later, once you have the materials.