Unhappy with building mechanics. Suggestion, etc., primitive visual explanation + written.

YlangYlang Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221266Members
I got the game yesterday, and already got 22 hours in it. Screens are from my 14 hour game, which is already deleted. Building mechanics, are so depressing, I cant stand them. The type I hate the most.

First of all, why you get to build in 2/4/6/8/.../etc. system, and not in a 1/3/5/7/9/.../etc., as the screens shows. That gives much more freedon of building, and planning. Having to build everything in two, is very annoying, there is also no center in the game, at all, while building, since its either double, or if we decide to make it single, then one side is dominant. I dont want doubles, or right, and left, but center. Center of mass. If I put an object, I expect to put it perfectly in the center of the building platform, not on 1 of the 4 spots, on edges. Another thing that bothers me, is why there is no possibility to build in a diagonal way? Having everything in the center + diagonal option... building paradise.

I spent a lot of time building, as I am the perfectonist type, and everything needs to be exactly the same, or in the middle. Here I need to point out lack of the building grid. If you build... you just put it randomly somewhere. Either add the grids, or include fixed building slots, in exactly the same distance. I sometimes had to put a liner to the screen, to know if its exactly how I want it to be.

Building is love, building is life. I hope that building in the game will be fixed.

http://imgur.com/a/lYpzw

Comments

• WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    edited August 2016
    There are ways around the base foundation issues:
    - First build a basic corridor connector on the ground.
    - Next build second corridor right on top of it.
    - Deconstruct the first corridor on the bottom.
    - attach your first round room to the remaining corridor. This will allow you to place round rooms without the need of a foundation.
    - Delete corridor if you want.
    - A base foundation can now be centered and built directly under this room if you want or you can build an entire base without the need of any foundations at all just be sure to build some reinforcements to compensate for the lack of foundations.

Other base building tips.
    - Even if you don't have the resources you can place down base components to see how they all line up and then come back with the materials later to finish building them.
    - Placing a moonpool can be difficult at times. Use a preplanned corridor that will connect to one end of the moonpool to get it to snap into the correct position.
    - Foundations can NOT be easily deconstructed if there is a base item touching it. This is why I like to build bases without foundations entirely since they are a huge pain to get rid of later on if you decide to make changes.
    - Round rooms can be connected directly to each other without the need of a corridor. Use a T connector to if you want to achieve the desired effect in your picture.
  • LichemperorLichemperor UK Join Date: 2016-07-03 Member: 219528Members
    edited August 2016
    I would have to agree - the foundations need work. I soon stopped using them altogether.

My suggestion to the devs would be to make more than one type of, or an adjustable foundation module which can cater to both construction choices.

My suggestion to yourself is to follow the advice of the previous poster.
    I have to believe that the devs are aware of these issues, but have likely sought to deal with more important concerns.

Edit: Also, a toggle-able snapping feature would be fantastic!
  • YlangYlang Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221266Members
    I will try these, ralso ich in the gaming experience, and what was written here.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I tend to agree. The thing that is most frustrating right now is lining up lockers perfectly with each other at a uniform height.
    No matter how many times I've built a room full of lockers, there's always a lot of disassembling and reassembling to get everything level, very time consuming and annoying.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    edited August 2016
    The foundation not being centered is an especially glaring issue when you take into consideration that the Degassi bases all have their multi-rooms placed on their foundations center, It's only we who cant place it centered.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    No sense in getting long winded about this, but Im going to add my agreeance to this thread. I want to have the round room centered on the platform. It's not even about some psychosis of perfection. The base just looks like ass hanging off the edge. Also having a centerline helps in base construction in certain tight areas. So yes...please center the base construction on the platforms if that is not some code breaking thing.
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    No sense in getting long winded about this, but Im going to add my agreeance to this thread. I want to have the round room centered on the platform. It's not even about some psychosis of perfection. The base just looks like ass hanging off the edge. Also having a centerline helps in base construction in certain tight areas. So yes...please center the base construction on the platforms if that is not some code breaking thing.

follow my instructions (the second post) and you can build a base with centered foundations.
  • FiveHorseFiveHorse Yes Join Date: 2016-08-11 Member: 221183Members
    WarViper wrote: »

follow my instructions (the second post) and you can build a base with centered foundations.

I tried these instructions twice, unfortunately the base platforms still will not center for me.
  • YlangYlang Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221266Members
    You are supposed to be building without the foundations.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I've never seen foundations snap centered to a multipurpose room.
  • FiveHorseFiveHorse Yes Join Date: 2016-08-11 Member: 221183Members
    edited August 2016
    What is a good number to strive for regarding Hull Integrity for a base? I assume the number would increase the deeper your base is built.
  • jjmanjjman San Francisco Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221501Members
    Another new user, 5 days in with 46 hours logged (yay vacation) and this post made me register here. The alignment issues are seriously painful. The one benefit is that I've refused to build a scanner room due to its major alignment problems and have since read up on its general bugginess.

I also hope that building will be fixed.
  • Jim_Jim_ Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219811Members
    I definitely think the foundations need more snapping options.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited August 2016
    YES, to all of this thread...

1. Rooms need to be centered on Foundations; this drives me mad.

2. We should be able to make use of ALL the connection/exit points of a Multi-Purpose Room

3. If I fluff up the placement of a foundation, please let me remove it without having to deconstruct everything on it! Arrggh!

4. If I want to deconstruct a corridor or room with reinforcement on it or things inside it - and I don't get everything out - TOUGH LUCK I lose the stuff inside; the room deconstructs IMMEDIATELY without saying 'remove attached components first.' (regain room resources, + some stuff from inside, but not all???)

5. If I build inside a Biome--DON'T wipe away the Terrain! Instead, if the Terrain isn't 'flat'
    enough, well, tough luck I can't build there, and will have to find a 'flatter' area. If there are objects in the way of where I want to build let me build around them to incorporate them.

6. If I want to put Small Aquariums around my Moon Pool - to give it that Underwater Research Lab feel - FOR THE LOVE OF PEEPERS LET ME BUTRESS THOSE THINGS RIGHT UP AGAINST THE WALLS!

7. Objects. Inside. GRID-SNAP-TO PEOPLE! CAN YOU DO IT??????!!!!!!

8. Tall thin 'tube'-type plant-aquariums for bringing things such as Creepvine indoors.

9. 'Smaller' versions of the round large aquarium / alien containment, so we can fit four to a room, each able to hold one or two of a single 'big' creature like a Stalker--or small/medium underwater plant specimens indoors.

10. More 'clutter' objects, wall decoration(s), room 'props' to give the rooms in our base a unique 'feel.' Make that systems room feel like a systems room with wires, cables, consoles, or that new scanner room with led panels, a "control-room" feel...

11. Beds. All need the sleep/rest animation, please, with ability to skip the night. Prompt appears: Rest, or Sleep. Rest is as bench, you lose no food/water. Sleep lets you skip the night, but you (naturally) lose a little food and water because digestion/your body working as it does.

12. Rotate Moon Pool Plz!
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    YES, to all of this thread...
    12. Rotate Moon Pool Plz!
    *Psst* You already can