Damn love this game....

jetwylie915jetwylie915 Victoria, Australia Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221439Members
First of all, I just want to say that I've been watching for a while in these forums, and now I decided to create an account,

Obraxis you rock! btw!

So I fucking love this game so much.... I'm addicted like crazy!

Two things in my opinion, I'm addicted to building the most sick ass bases everywhere I find a cool/scenic location.. (Including any large cave i find)...

The Gameplay... Can be lost for hours in survival mode....

I honestly reckon you guys should turn the console off in some modes. I'm so naughty sometimes....

Also, you could totally build a base building/management game for people of my generation (33 yo). Its totally my favourite part of the game to get my base dialled then show people how awesome I am lol.

Anyway, I just want to thank you. It's been a very long time since I've enjoyed a game like this!! (Married father of 2, love to play Total War, StarCraft, Portal and Heroes of Might and Magic)

Comments

• Primeevi1Primeevi1 canada Join Date: 2016-08-09 Member: 221110Members
    I feel the same way mad love for this game. Its a game you can easily lose track of time in. Oh I'm just gonna play for a bit.... then you look over to see the sun coming up, like oh no what have i done this time. 300hrs played and still looking forward to another 300.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Anyway, I just want to thank you. It's been a very long time since I've enjoyed a game like this!! (Married father of 2, love to play Total War

Similar situation myself, and been a hardcore TW player for many a year.

I always have to ask, which TW games do you enjoy, and which mods?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Its such a good game for another reason, too. Ocean+Exploration games are always the best. Land exploration are fine, but you can get to the top of the mountain and see everything and say "Oh, there's a town, gotta get there!". The ocean is murky and deep and you can't see everything from one solid viewpoint. You can play for hours and you can still find something new and think its cool and unique. Recently I found out that there were heat vents underneath the floating islands, and there was a huge wreckage that spans across two of these islands. I never went to this biome very much, so when I had a good explore of it I noticed some very cool things. I made a "tourist attraction" kind of base down at the vents, and a seamoth park with lots of moonpools up around the islands. I bet there's still more things I haven't discovered, and I can't wait to find them :)
  • PhydroPhydro Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221299Members
    Seriously, I haven't enjoyed a game this much since Skyrim. I tried it on a whim since I love ocean environments but have been disappointed by so many ocean games... this one filled wishes I'd almost forgotten I had. I love the exploration, I love the design (just the right blend of realistic and stylized), and I love how it keeps just that little bit of terror in with all the beauty.

I also really appreciate that it's a finite world with every detail deliberately crafted. Procedurally-generated worlds are fine, but dang is the market stuffed with them right now. With procedural, you almost never get that overpowering sense of wonder when you find a completely new area, carefully sculpted to match someone's creative vision and totally unique in the game. That's something I'm really looking forward to in the Lost River in a few months.

I'm taking a short break from the game since I want to start the full experience over and really go through things more carefully, and I'm waiting for the next update to do it... it's a major exercise in patience, stalking the bugfixing board to guess when it will update. :D
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    *Cough, Cough* LANGUAGE! But SN is a great game.
  • tokamstokams Las Maliborski Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221370Members
    I do not use the console except for changing the FOV to comfortable 90, so maybe add that to the menu before disabling debug console.

I get what you mean Jamezorg, but those games , one of the reason is that they have badly designed maps, look at dark souls for example. But I agree Subnaitica has the advantage of just being able not to render distance bcz of the water, but its also greatly designed vertically as well.
  • rfburnrfburn USA Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221512Members
    I love games like this. I have played games like Ark Survival, Take On Mars, Life is Feudal, Space Engineers, etc... for well over a thousand hours combined. I was SO excited about the launch of 'No Man's Sky' and anxiously awaited it's release so I could add it to my collection of favorite survival games. Man! What a disappointment that game was. Fortunately I did not buy it, but waited for the communities reaction to that game. So, being majorly disappointed, I began looking for a substitute game to add to my collection. I had heard about this game, had even added it to my Steam Wishlist, but never gave serious thought to buying it until it was out of Early Release phase. Ye Gods Man! Why did I wait?? This game is FREEKIN awesome!!! Ark Survival, move over. This game is at the top of my MUST PLAY list now. I can't wait to see just how much content is added for crafting, building, and surviving. Because when it comes to survival games, I don't want to just survive, I want to THRIVE baby! Devs, please keep up this good work, it is by far greater than anything 'No Man's Sky' has achieved, and they actually had people paying $60 for their "finished" product..... You Devs are the greatest. Thanks so much!
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    That's what kills me about NMS. $60?? Seriously? Yeah that's a copy of SN for me plus two as gifts. Or SN, The Long Dark and Savage Lands. Either way, more and better bang for my buck! NMS will get added to my library when it's priced comparably to these other amazing games.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    What kills me about NMS is that anybody was actually surprised by how bad it is.
    Why on Earth were people expecting anything different?
    Hadn't anybody seen how awful it looked?

Was it just console players who've never had a decent survival/crafting/exploration experience before getting excited?

I don't understand humanity's nonsensical behaviour any more.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Had the NMS developers had open access to NMS (I don't know if they had it or not) maybe it wouldn't have been so bad to those people who felt burned by it. Years of disappointing AAA game releases have taught me not to get caught up on the hype train and to reserve my judgement for when I actually see someone else play the game.

Still, I really want to play it. I guess it's that explorer part of me that wants to dig into the game despite its reviews. Pretty much like with Subnautica (only Subnautica had very few if any bad reviews on it). :)
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    edited August 2016
    NMS is at the intersection of two different "desperation genres", those where people's imaginations of the games they want exceeds the ability of developers to actually create them. (Those genres are survival and space sim.) It's completely unsurprising that it got super hyped and that it failed to meet it.

And people should know better than to dive into a full-price preorder with no demo, no early access, and the developers actively trying to hide gameplay from customers prerelease "so as to not spoil it". If that didn't set alarm bells ringing in peoples' heads, they deserve to get ripped off.

Personally, I do want to play it anyway, but I don't think it's worth $60 (especially not with current PC issues), so I'll be waiting for a sale.
  • DeadtokyoDeadtokyo Massachusetts Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221554Members
    First of all, I just want to say that I've been watching for a while in these forums, and now I decided to create an account,

Obraxis you rock! btw!

So I fucking love this game so much.... I'm addicted like crazy!

Two things in my opinion, I'm addicted to building the most sick ass bases everywhere I find a cool/scenic location.. (Including any large cave i find)...

The Gameplay... Can be lost for hours in survival mode....

I honestly reckon you guys should turn the console off in some modes. I'm so naughty sometimes....

Also, you could totally build a base building/management game for people of my generation (33 yo). Its totally my favourite part of the game to get my base dialled then show people how awesome I am lol.

Anyway, I just want to thank you. It's been a very long time since I've enjoyed a game like this!! (Married father of 2, love to play Total War, StarCraft, Portal and Heroes of Might and Magic)

• DeadtokyoDeadtokyo Massachusetts Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221554Members
    The game is AMAZING but they should patch up the small bugs instead of focusing on the detail, art, etc. Anyway if they wanna work on art they should work on that small island and the detail looks like its from the 19 century and the reaver first time i saw him for the first time he scared the HELL out of me. Finally this game has A LOT of potential i mean A LOT in the end love the game AMAZING graphics and can't wait for the next update this is DT and good luck to you Subnautica players like me and if your new i cant stress this enough if you hear a REAVER swim away but if you have a seamoth with torpedos and upgraded armor hmm well he is super hard so GOOD REAVER HUNTING AND BLESS YOU SUBNATICA PLAYERS DT SIGNING OFF
  • CorBlimeyCorBlimey Big Blue Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221300Members
    edited August 2016
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Had the NMS developers had open access to NMS (I don't know if they had it or not) maybe it wouldn't have been so bad to those people who felt burned by it. Years of disappointing AAA game releases have taught me not to get caught up on the hype train and to reserve my judgement for when I actually see someone else play the game.

Still, I really want to play it. I guess it's that explorer part of me that wants to dig into the game despite its reviews. Pretty much like with Subnautica (only Subnautica had very few if any bad reviews on it). :)

My new rule is no preorders, ever, after being stung a bit before (X Rebirth hype :(). Pre-release is different and I gladly play them if the devs are open and and engaged - hugely enjoyed Factorio, Subnautica, The Long Dark etc.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for the shout-out, glad you're enjoying the game :blush:
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    yomama wrote: »
    That's what kills me about NMS. $60?? Seriously? Yeah that's a copy of SN for me plus two as gifts. Or SN, The Long Dark and Savage Lands. Either way, more and better bang for my buck! NMS will get added to my library when it's priced comparably to these other amazing games.

What kills me is the huge differences between what people expected and what they got.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    My case is a bit of a weird one because I'm not really into survival games at all. Minecraft, Don't Starve, The Forest, Stranded Deep, DayZ, etc didn't really convince me with their genre, although I do acknowledge them ad good games anyway. Subnautica, however, is different.
    Before I heard of it, my favourite game ever was Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep, which is anything but a survival game. I enjoyed the shit out of that game until I ended the story and the gameplay got repetitive. Then I found Subnautica, and my mind was blown. I've played several days worth of gameplay, and I still don't feel like it's repetitive.
    The game's not even fully released, and I still think it beats every other game. Loads of other ones released recently don't even beat it, such as Undertale, Unravel and Abzû (now retrospectivally my 5th, 4th & 2nd favourite games).
    I seriously can't imagine how anything can beat this game, it's just so good.
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    I can only agree!
    Subnautica is one of the best experiences i had so far.
    I remember a similar game long ago where you played as a tiny human deep down in the ocean, scavenging bottlecaps for metal, exploring the sea with you submarine. I loved this game and subnautica remembered me about it in an instant.
    And its not even the slightest the same gamewise, subnautica has its own charme, pulling you in, silencing any thoights like "oh... What time is it?" You start playing and exploring and building and.. Wait, what? It's 7am? Last time i looked it was 8pm!
    Thats my kind of experience i made with it so far xD

I hope unknownworlds will keep working on it even after its finished. Adding new Biomes, Islands and creatures and so on. Its awesome!