Did the forums get so toxic...

SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
... that they got set back a day? Posts I know I made today are suddenly gone, and threads I know I read shorter.

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited August 2016
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    ... that they got set back a day? Posts I know I made today are suddenly gone, and threads I know I read shorter.

The forum was hacked.
    dbziqs1y3w60.jpg
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Forums went down and so they had to roll-back, though I don't know the details.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Goes to show how much passion people have for this game. Maybe a bit too much.. What's that in your signature, Coolitic? I think I'll make something similar using my current Cybertronian avatar... :)
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Juvenile social justice warrior pansies.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Hacking a forum because something posted there agitated you isn't passion, it's a petulant fit.

It would be a travesty indeed.

Almost as much of a travesty as jumping to the wrong conclusion with absolutely no basis or evidence to support it.
    Hacking a forum because something posted there agitated you isn't passion, it's a petulant fit.

It would be a travesty indeed.

Almost as much of a travesty as jumping to the wrong conclusion with absolutely no basis or evidence to support it.

What "wrong conclusion" are you referring to here?
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members

This.
    I think it's incredibly dangerous and unfair to speculate on who did this, and on their reasons.
    When the site went down I visited the steam forums to get more info, and there were people immediately assuming this was done by someone in the "pro-fab timer" camp, hacking the site because of some childish notion they didn't get their own way.

Here's the link.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/360672383122264195/
    Basically, to put it in it's simplest, we all need to move on from that particular couple of days of darkness.

Baseless accusations from either side serve no purpose but to divide us further, and there might be some script kiddie out there laughing as we start to turn against each other once again.

If evidence shows up that the site was brought down by some childish, disgruntled party, it can only look bad for the community as a whole and I'll be ashamed that one of our own did that.
    But in the absence of that evidence, I don't think we should assume or speculate anything.

This.
    I think it's incredibly dangerous and unfair to speculate on who did this, and on their reasons.
    When the site went down I visited the steam forums to get more info, and there were people immediately assuming this was done by someone in the "pro-fab timer" camp, hacking the site because of some childish notion they didn't get their own way.

Here's the link.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/360672383122264195/

Wow. Those first few comments are make me sad. I just think its some idiot trying to get his 2 hours of satisfaction. I don't think it has anything to do with the Great Timer Debate of August 2016 (Which somehow is still going even though the issue is over). If for some reason it does though, I will be extremely disheartened with this community as a whole.
  • CenbesCenbes Czech republic Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221170Members
    Cenbes wrote: »
    i have to: https://ctrlv.cz/uvLN (picture)

Its bad enough that he hacked the site, but then he made it worse by being a pompous git about it.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I hit one hundred posts. I felt pretty good. Now, yea, back down to 95. :/
    edited August 2016
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I hit one hundred posts. I felt pretty good. Now, yea, back down to 95. :/

Damn, that sucks. But you'll probably be back up to 100 within a day. :smile:

ALSO: Does anyone else still see the hacked layout when they click on their own profile?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Does anyone else still see the hacked layout when they click on their own profile?

I don't think so, I never really saw what it looked like, but mine looks relatively normal

Jamezorg wrote: »
    Does anyone else still see the hacked layout when they click on their own profile?

I don't think so, I never really saw what it looked like, but mine looks relatively normal

fhw20saaq7ux.jpg
    This is all I get when I click my own profile. Gotta love how it shows my IP. :expressionless:
    hm.JPG 177.5K
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited August 2016
    Shit, was anything compromised? We don't have to go about changing all our passwords to every damn site we all use because of this, do we? What a pain...
    Coranth wrote: »
    Shit, was anything compromised? We don't have to go about changing all our passwords to every damn site we all use because of this, do we? What a pain...

[sarcasm] Nothing important, just anyone can see my email and IP now :smiley: [/sarcasm]
    Really though, I hope that gets fixed.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    Coranth wrote: »

If this is true, and there's even the possibility, they need to make an announcement and let people know. I will definitely be changing my passwords just in case. There's just no telling now a days so better safe than sorry.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    ALSO: Does anyone else still see the hacked layout when they click on their own profile?

No, my profile looks normal. Yours looks normal to me when I click on it too.
    Sidchicken wrote: »

No, my profile looks normal. Yours looks normal to me when I click on it too.

of course me being the idiot i am, i didn't clear my cache and/or cookies
    and that's not even the stupidest thing ill do today
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    What's that in your signature, Coolitic? I think I'll make something similar using my current Cybertronian avatar... :)

Sylux from Metroid Prime Hunters.
  • JB940JB940 Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220248Members
    Whether it was a "pro-fab timers" or "Against-fab" or just a script kiddy, I don't care. One person is not the opinion or the attitude of a whole group.
    I'm just sad it happened, but I'm incredibly happy that they make back-ups this often (seems like once every 2 days?)

- just someone who enjoys reading everything passing by.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    If for some reason it does though, I will be extremely disheartened with this community as a whole.
    REALLY?
    Even though 99.9999999 percent of us had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with it? We are "victimized" by this just as much as you, but you're "disheartened" with us?
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Well if it was the Too Easy back and it came right after timers were nerfed, then it certainly points a finger a certain way. Then again it could have just been meant to seem that way.

I won't make any assumptions, but it really wouldn't surprise me. It's clear that there is a qliq of l337 "hardcore" gamers that think Subnautica should be all about grinding and getting eaten at the expense of crafting and exploration, and it's clear that many of these people are narrow minded and intolerant to any suggestions otherwise. The timer affair wasn't just a debate, it led to an influx of casuals that well could have been what really prompted the hacking.

It's pretty clear these forums are extremely toxic, which is why I'm here. There's too much immaturity and intolerance. And if I have to argue with such people to keep them from convincing the devs to turn Subnautica into a Stranded Deep clone then so be it. I will do what I can and regardless of the outcome can at least know that I tried
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited August 2016
    Wow... When I made the statement about how passionate some players were about this game, I was referring to all those debates I was seeing on the forums about crafting time as well as when the issue of weapons. I didn't think the forums were hacked. Well... 'til I saw the big red thing with the words on it. Toxic players I've met in MMOs and any game where PvP is involved. Didn't think I'd see one in a single player game... Or worse... in an online game that's cooperative only (in Warframe though I've never actually met him)...
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    It's great to see the dev team/forum moderators able to repair the damage that was done and get the forums back up again. It's a shame it happened, but then again some people blindly refuse to see to reason or understand other's opinions. That's what I love about this game and the dev team: regardless whether people enjoy challenges and danger, or just want to play casually and quickly, they'll work with the players and try to please as many people as possible. Keep up the good work guys!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2016
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    It's great to see the dev team/forum moderators able to repair the damage that was done and get the forums back up again.!

I want to remind you of the forum outage of 2004-2005 :sweat:
    If for some reason it does though, I will be extremely disheartened with this community as a whole.
    REALLY?
    Even though 99.9999999 percent of us had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with it? We are "victimized" by this just as much as you, but you're "disheartened" with us?

When I said community as a whole, I meant everyone, including me. That's why I didn't just say "you people". I know I wasn't quite a saint.