A big problem of Subnautica's basic "looks"

2»

Comments

• TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members
    edited August 2016
    I have the perfect solution. Play the game on an IMAX screen. Problem solved, everything will be really freaking huge. Even the little glowing shrimp will be terrifying in size. :D

Hmmm might be a problem with everyone telling you which way to go or what to do next.
  • coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    If you get the opportunity, you really have to try Subnautica in VR! Suddenly everything is perfectly to scale. Even gasopods are frickin huge.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Coldsnap...I want to say with great affection...I hate you. I really want to play this in vr, but need a new EVERYTHING first...glad you're enjoying it!
  • Awps_R_BandAwps_R_Band Join Date: 2016-08-18 Member: 221481Members
    Someone already said this, but I would like to emphasize it.

To fix this problem, all you need is depth perception, which requires that you are able to see the object from two different angles (two different eyepoints). To understand more, here is a wikipedia article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

Basically, we're able to tell how big something is based on the difference between the image we get in our left eye and the image we get in our right eye. Consider this image:

depth.jpg

For now, because we're only seeing this scene from a single angle (a single "eye," which in this case is the camera), all three figures appear to be the exact same size. Of course, we can infer that this is not the case from how they appear to be situated within the scene.

If we were able to see this scene from two angles, each about the same distance apart as your two eyes are in real life, then each figure would actually appear slightly different.

This is because we would be able to see more "around" the figure closest to us, as the angles that our two eyes have on it are further away from each other. Contrast this with the furthest figure, where the images our two eyes receive are basically the same, because our eyes don't "wrap around" it as much, due to distance.

Anyway, this is basically the biggest reason IMO for implementation of Virtual Reality of any sort -- depth perception. Depth perception allows us to get a real sense of scale of things in the game, which really helps with Subnautica (in fact, this is one of the only games I would actually consider playing with VR). It can also help with other stuff, for instance any instance where you would need to throw something or judge distance (to prove this, try shooting basketball with a patch over one eye. Bet you will miss most of your shots!)

TL;DR - Depth perception by way of VR is the only viable way to fix this.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I am intensely envious of y'all with the vr set now. >.<
  • ArluinArluin Join Date: 2016-08-18 Member: 221493Members
    You will not really be able to get a true sense of the scale of objects and creatures from a 1st person perspective on a traditional monitor. I play this on the Oculus and I can tell you that in VR the scale is amazing. Unfortunately this is the only way to really be able to experience the sense of scale in the game.
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    edited October 2016
    SizerefCrabsquid.jpg

Should have used an in-game pic, instead of a CA one, m8.

But yeah, perspective is a problem in this game.
    Another great example of this is the Reefback - diver size comparison:

oBWQbbe.png

... and here's the Reefback - Reaper comparison (just for scale):

TqQQq07.png

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I never realized the reefbacks were that large compared to the reaper.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    WSBurns wrote: »
    I think it would be solved if a third person camera mode was added to the game, to be honest i kinda miss it, it may not be so immersive but it would help establishing the comparative look.

Just handled that, they said no, firmly. No 3rd person.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Before "VR goggles" there were 3D glasses of various formats: from the simple red/blue glasses to polarized to active shutter glasses, each of which has their own limitations. As long as you have a high enough refresh rate, active shutter 3D is reasonably immersive and very cost effective (~$60 vs $600+) compared to VR. It could help with alleviating the size issue -- and with the right video driver, requires no game-specific functionality (although an FOV slider is often helpful).
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    WSBurns wrote: »
    I think it would be solved if a third person camera mode was added to the game, to be honest i kinda miss it, it may not be so immersive but it would help establishing the comparative look.

Just handled that, they said no, firmly. No 3rd person.

Ye, 3rd person games are way more difficult and expensive to make than 1st person because you need to work on all the different animations of your character.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited October 2016
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I never realized the reefbacks were that large compared to the reaper.

They are smaller than the reaper in stable mode but got updated to be larger in experimental mode.
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    lol, those images were so small - fixed btw.