A big problem of Subnautica's basic "looks"

Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
( i just copied my post from Subnautica steam community )

We all know Subnautica is so beautiful so that it is probably one of the most beautiful games ever. But in my opinion, Subnautica has a big fundamental problem with its "looks".

It is, that we can't recognize and feel the real size of a creature or of an objective.

The best example is, while people get freaked out or shocked by big whales in the sea, we don't actually get freaked out that much by Reefbacks, which in fact should be bigger than any sea creatures on earth.
Yes, Reaper Leviathan is enough big so that it is a horror but still looks -because of some unknown graphical problem- far smaller than its real size, in-game.
Crab Squid should be like at least 10 times larger than a human but those just look and feel like a size of a lion at most.
I don't know what is the problem. Probably a FOV issue? But this often decreases the intensity of Subnautica.

I know someone will never play Subnautica again if we can feel the immense size of those creatures :P, but i think not fixing this issue will be a big disadvantage for the atmostphere of Subnautica(which is already great enough, though).

Btw. i will just give you a link of the size comparison between the player and a crabsquid :
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/6/68/Crabsquid_Concept_Art.jpg

I'm sure noone has "felt" that enormous size. In game Crabsquids sometimes look even cute to my eyes.

.......so, how do you think?

Comments

• Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    I know what you mean. I sometimes too feel like we are not getting the feeling of the true size of the creatures. For example, I know the skull in the lost river is massive and it does look pretty big in first person. However, you only get a feel for its true size if you drive the seamoth right up to its teeth and then get out and swim up to get a size comparison. Then I get a feel for it's true size.
  • Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
    Yes true that. I don't know what is problem. Lack of criterion for size comparison probably? I really don't know why..

Standing in front of an elephant would feel really massively massive but in Subnautica not, although many creatures are far larger than elephants.
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    I think it would be solved if a third person camera mode was added to the game, to be honest i kinda miss it, it may not be so immersive but it would help establishing the comparative look.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Probably is a lack of references honestly. A reefback in open water gives you nothing to compare it to. The sense of distance seems off in general, or at least the meter counter should read feet instead of meters.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    or at least the meter counter should read feet instead of meters.

M8, there are only three countries in the world which don't use the metric system.

metric-system.png
    edited August 2016
    M8, there are only three countries in the world which don't use the metric system.

Not quite what I meant... I meant that the distance traveled doesnt feel like meters, but feet. Meters should be 3 ft 3 inches once converted and they feel more like 1 foot. You can be 20 meters down and it certainly doesn't feel like you're nearly that deep. Maybe its my perception, but it doesnt feel quite right with the measurement.
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    That's actually a good point I thought the reefback seemed around maybe 10 meters long was but 20 meters?

a blue whale is 30 meters long

It just doesn't feel that big
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I agree that a third person camera would solve the problem simply by providing scale comparison between the player and the creatures. Look at ABZU game that is storming YouTube right now - you play in third person there and even just watching a gameplay video I can see the size difference when the player character swims next to a giant whale or one of the underwater structures. That effect would be utterly lost if the world was shown from the first person perspective.

Simple experiment (although I am not sure it's still doable) - build a scanner room with a window, grab a camera and look through the window inside. You will see your character standing there. Note how your whole idea of the room changes, how much smaller it suddenly seems to be. That's what third person camera does - it provides the context, so to speak.
  • MouldybaconMouldybacon Northkorea,USA Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220641Members
    Ohh I don't know when the reaper attacked my seamoth I s**t myself
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    @Ralij Ah, I see what you mean now. While I agree with you, I don't expect this is gonna change. There are loads of games which had the same/similar problem such as Endless Ocean 2. The map was made inside a virtual 3D zone where meters were already a thing. It won't be simple at all to increase the size of the whole map and everything in it.

But maybe this impression we're getting is actually an illusion. If there are any gamers who play this game in VR, please tell us if you get the same impression about the scale.
  • TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members

Not quite what I meant... I meant that the distance traveled doesnt feel like meters, but feet. Meters should be 3 ft 3 inches once converted and they feel more like 1 foot. You can be 20 meters down and it certainly doesn't feel like you're nearly that deep. Maybe its my perception, but it doesnt feel quite right with the measurement.

Numerically 10 meters to me is huge, if you are used to feet than yes you have to avoid the mistake of assuming 10 feet. They could change everything to milimeters but then who gets granular on a depth gauge? "Now passing 23,342 millimeters."

It's the camera view angle and the lack of depth perception. I've seen a 2 meter bull shark through a rov camera and it looks like a big fish. I've dived into water with 2 meter long white tips and they felt like they were 4 meters long.

I can live without 3rd person POV. I'll invest in 3d when the price point lowers maybe that'll make the difference.
    @Ralij Ah, I see what you mean now. While I agree with you, I don't expect this is gonna change. There are loads of games which had the same/similar problem such as Endless Ocean 2. The map was made inside a virtual 3D zone where meters were already a thing. It won't be simple at all to increase the size of the whole map and everything in it.

Agreed, it sorta seems like a lot is set in stone at this point.
    Tetrapod wrote: »

Numerically 10 meters to me is huge, if you are used to feet than yes you have to avoid the mistake of assuming 10 feet. They could change everything to milimeters but then who gets granular on a depth gauge? "Now passing 23,342 millimeters."

Exactly, I mean 10 meters down is deep enough to put a three story building, but in-game it doesnt feel much different then hopping into a swimming pool. I does feel bigger than millimeters at least, lol.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Distances, and especially depth, does seem rather exaggerated to say the least.

What does 250m of vertical distance look like in real life?

ASPIN-Commercial-Tower-01.jpg?resize=660%2C675
    Above: Aprin Tower in Dubai.

The thing is that's 1/2 the average depth of the Jelleyshroom caves. Now there is a spot near the southern safe-zone thermal vent that drops right down on top of Wonderland base so you can do a near beeline dive from the surface to that base, and it does not feel like over ten football fields.

https://youtu.be/EEezkmcPjcI?t=1h59m40s

• supermangsupermang Australia Join Date: 2016-03-16 Member: 214286Members
    I think part of the problem is everything else is also 'scaled up', like the size of the corals and geological formation. So the bigger fish size looks 'normal' in comparison. Maybe the game needs chairs and tables or other human-sized props scattered around to give a better perspective.

The other issue is the really far view distance and there is no real need to get up really close to anything (ie. you can pick up quartz from pretty far away compared to your model size) that makes everything look small.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    A human can swim 1-2 m/s. The diver can swim 5.7 m/s base. This is what makes things feel smaller. You're just much faster than expected.

It's a matter of game pace vs realism. With reality usually being complicated and boring compared to game design.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    supermang wrote: »
    But in my opinion, Subnautica has a big fundamental problem with its "looks".

It is, that we can't recognize and feel the real size of a creature or of an objective.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion but I'm just going to go ahead and disagree.

Perhaps there is theoretically room for improvement in some matters of scale but the game is very nearly finished and there's plenty of big and scary. I still just about brown my pants when a reaper sneaks up behind me and grabs my seamoth. And the sea dragon leviathan is about double their length and much bulkier.

The only time anything about the game has ever felt small to me was when speeding across the relatively small (by surface area) map in a seamoth.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    A human can swim 1-2 m/s. The diver can swim 5.7 m/s base. This is what makes things feel smaller. You're just much faster than expected.

It's a matter of game pace vs realism. With reality usually being complicated and boring compared to game design.

It'd be nice if we could tweak things like this and the FOV! Hopefully those tweaking capabilities will eventually be added.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    The evidence keeps on mounting in favour of mod support. There's so much to be tailored for us hardcore realism fans.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    The evidence keeps on mounting in favour of mod support. There's so much to be tailored for us hardcore realism fans.

Well, if that ever happens, it'll be after 1.0.
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited August 2016
    You are forgetting something folks, refraction distance inside water is a 1.33 factor, if applied the objects should look shorter.
    By the way folks, not wanting to give you the wrong impression, but... i have a Rog Swift 3D screen and nvidia V2 glasses and i still get the scale issue, its not a VR problem. Third person imho could solve this. Either that or maybe tweak the "head camera" focal distance to be more compatible with the human eye.

@ EnglishInfidel
    My lifepod went west, i mean way west, i have spent 12 power cells just to try to track it down, only to realise it can never be reached, however i was able to see the other side of the orange moon...speaking of perspective, scale and realism, it seems to be orbiting only a few hundred meters above the ocean...
    Watching the nautiluslive.org stream as they explore the sea bottom in the Santa Cruz Basin and noted that they use lasers spaced 10cm apart to help with determining the size of various species and rocks. Would such a thing help here and how difficult would it be to implement?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Whales are bigger than any carnivorous animal in our seas (that we know of). The Blue Whale is the biggest creature to ever exist on Earth. The fact that the Sea Dragon and Reapers are so huge can't be too useful when hunting (unless the Sea Dragon is a Precursor creation, but that doesn't excuse the Reaper). Reefbacks I think should be bigger and moved to the Grand Reef and maybe even the Dunes and Mountains, or they could create an entirely different whale-like creature and put it in these biomes. In the past Sperm Whales were actually predators (and they technically are still today, since they hunt Giant Squid in deep waters), so maybe these dangerous reefbacks could exist in reaper-infested waters, and be neutral to the player. I don't know, I agree with your statement, but for different reasons :)
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    3-d person camera won't solve the problem:
    In every 3-d person games every object is made twice as big as it is in real life relative to the size of the human. That is because the camera is above the head of a human character, and normal-sized objects seems smaller than they really are. Take a good look at you surroundings in basically every third person game and you'll notice that everything is scaled. Yes this effect is the reason of gigantic buildings in every RPG game.

Interesting.

I also noticed that it is a real immersion killer to watch life from a few feet behind your own head...
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    Another major issue - Large creatures don't have enough mass. They accelerate and turn as if they have fairly rigid bodies (even with regard to their tentacles). Slight tweaks to the animations to suggest the forces actually involved might give a much better impression of size...
    The same goes for slowing down acceleration.
    Great idea!
    I also noticed that it is a real immersion killer to watch life from a few feet behind your own head...
    I guess that depends on what games you are used to play=)
    For example I had no immersion problems when I played Dark Souls 3)

When you play first-person game you have no side vision. When you are not get used to it, you will feel very weird (I certainly did when after years playing only TP I tried FPS again). Actually, this also can be immersion-breaker! Third-person camera kinda works as side vision substitution.

visualfield1.gif

Peripheral_vision.svg

PS. I used to work in video game industry. I remember designers toyed a lot around camera and its parameters testing different ideas, e.g. size of props and indoor and outdoor levels, FoV, and so on.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    3rd person in this kind of game usually makes the game feel low budget and very poor quality.

Mind you, I'm someone who finds the Dark Souls games low budget and poor quality, so whatever.

1st person is definitely the only option at this point anyway.
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    Another major issue - Large creatures don't have enough mass. They accelerate and turn as if they have fairly rigid bodies (even with regard to their tentacles). Slight tweaks to the animations to suggest the forces actually involved might give a much better impression of size...
    The same goes for slowing down acceleration.

Great idea!

Another thought occurred to me along these lines.

Object like the 'Common Coral' in the safe shallows biome are actually gigantic and impressive... but over time we get desensitised... so adding more smaller critters or changing the size of some vegetation for a sense of scale might help a great deal.

Similarly, having low visibility water conditions occasionally occur would assist in getting a sense of scale in different environments.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited August 2016
    3rd person in this kind of game usually makes the game feel low budget and very poor quality.
    3-d person requires STAGGERING amount of character animations today (== really really expensive) - and worst of all - flawless transitions from one animation into another under confusing player input.
    And there are environment scaling issues I have written about.
    Mind you, I'm someone who finds the Dark Souls games low budget and poor quality, so whatever.
    I somewhat agree. You can see that they saved money on lots of stuff (sometimes quite creatively - e.g. they reused player animations for humanoid monsters whenever possible) and it have some nasty bugs, e.g. camera lock is extremely bad (80% of my deaths happened because camera unlocks in the middle of the fight and turns into opposite direction to the boss... and it can't be rotated quickly because it is Xbox controller; great example how camera should NOT be implemented in third person game).
    But it is not of poor quality.

Btw Dark Souls are great example of environment scaling: pretty much everything there is cyclopic size - including enemies - but, amazingly it often doesn't seem that way) (e.g. knights are intimidating, but you usually don't feel that you are fighting with 3 meters tall giants). Ahh camera...
    Similarly, having low visibility water conditions occasionally occur would assist in getting a sense of scale in different environments.
    Yes, for example Morrowind feels pretty big when you play it. But its smoke and mirrors (may be not intentional though): if you play mod to Oblivion that imports Morrowind island into it you can clearly see how close everything is, and the world suddenly feels very small!
    In the original Morrowind, the island was covered by opaque fog (basically rendering limitation of early 2000-th) and player character speed is low, and roads are indirect (e.g. you usually have to walk around something), so distances between everything seems huge.

In Oblivion they introduced rendering of remote landscape and the world suddenly has become small, while in fact it was 4 times larger!
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    or at least the meter counter should read feet instead of meters.

metric-system.png
    I live in one... and yes the POV is weird. The sea dragon seemed.... SMALL. Look at the concept art its bigger the emperor! And yet it dose not seem that BIG.