Wooza's information wall

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I just dont see the appeal of such large servers, peformance aside the maps just dont feel big enough for 42 players. Hallways are already cluttered during pushes on 24 player servers.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I just dont see the appeal of such large servers, peformance aside the maps just dont feel big enough for 42 players. Hallways are already cluttered during pushes on 24 player servers.

It's for people who like big chaotic games... Like 64 player shipment on CoD4.. or 64 players in BF3 on that ultra tiny infantry map (can't remember the name)

I don't get the appeal either, but they should be able to play how they want in their own servers. As long as it isn't harming the rest of the community.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    Only way forward is removal of the phrase wooza. I propose no servers should be allowed to carry the name, or any variations. I also propose censoring any mention of the name on these forums.
    jrgn wrote: »
    Only way forward is removal of the phrase wooza. I propose no servers should be allowed to carry the name, or any variations. I also propose censoring any mention of the name on these forums.

Censoring isn't the way to go.. If they want to keep the Wooza brand name then who cares.

But sadly due to his behavior the Wooza name is tarnished, so renaming it would undoubtedly benefit them greatly. (or at the very least not mentioning him in the ad)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Regardless of how the community views Wooza (the person) right now, in essence he is right on one thing.
    He DID do a lot for the community. Squad 5 badges dont just fall from the sky, people. :P

I dont see the issue of having Wooza's in the server name. Its still a indication of it being run by a admin team which knows how to keep big servers within a certain performance margin.
    But opinions I guess. :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    He DID do a lot for the community. Squad 5 badges dont just fall from the sky, people. :P

They definitely don't. Only the most awesome of people ever get a chance to wear one, and it takes years of blood, sweat and tears to get there.

*awkwardly coughs*
  • _Tx__Tx_ Space Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221287Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Censoring isn't the way to go.. If they want to keep the Wooza brand name then who cares.

But sadly due to his behavior the Wooza name is tarnished, so renaming it would undoubtedly benefit them greatly. (or at the very least not mentioning him in the ad)
    (i just can't..... let me at'em!!!!!)

That sentence, made my ... week.

So basically you say that (and i quote again) "Censoring isn't the way to go" while all the enthusiast people like
    • Wooza, DMD, IBIS kept running servers not paid by UWE and i never EVER seen a "thank you" for that. From the officials or the gamers who use the service for FREE.
    • Wooza kept running servers and still do while the numbers were so low that only his server and 2 others were populated
    • Wooza Sent loads and loads of server debug report (crippling server performance publicly) to the officials. He's not the only one. DMD does too and frankly for what i know discussing with them : They're not happy with it too. If what i could read is true the official answers to those individuals are jokes to say the least.
    • Many other people sent many reports on bug, inconsistencies and such while :
    • A/ are ignored or discarded with a BS like "we already know". Even if you post it 2 builds after finding the bug (just to make sure). Usually it takes 2 minutes to fix those "we already know bug".
    • B/ are publicly shamed by groupies who can't face any truth or are part of the com strategy. The dumb com strategy we can witness in the other threads about the hitbox or build 306 for example. Recently it led to some editing and ban by Sir IronHorse isn't it ?

Let me tell you something. A great bunch of those guys are banned or marked as troll (which is the same) on this very forums just because they tell obvious truth backed up by server logs, screenshots, and even video. The last one gets you faster in the disgrace area.

It's sad :
    • to see that this board looks like twilight forums.
    • to see that some people turned their pants inside out
    • to see that officials still play the blind game while the opposite behavior would greatly help improving the game and get it out of the quicksands (if not muddy waters).

I don't think it's a good behavior to denigrate Wooza or anyone else that is still giving money (See, hosting and bandwidth aren't free you know) time and dedication to this game while their voices have been shut by officials. We could throw it out the window and move somewhere else. Whatever was the problem it could find a peaceful outcome.

It's like punching someone with tied hands in the back. How courageous...

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2016
    _Tx_ wrote: »

Senseless drivel was here

How does this in any way relate to mofo's post? He specifically said that censoring wooza's name is not the way to go.

Other than that the notion is ludicrous that anyone got banned or marked as troll for submitting bug reports. In fact I haven't seen anyone here officially marked as troll since... always, actually.

Frankly you seem to have a rather tenuous grasp on reality.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Oh, there are official trolls. You just have to refresh often enough to spot them. :)

Going by what I see on this forum, I really have a strong distaste for the vanilla forum software and their moderating options. Maybe the other forums I frequent just don't enable these features, but the invisionfree forums seem much better.
    edited August 2016
  • DilligafDilligaf Join Date: 2014-05-25 Member: 196238Members
    edited August 2016

It's for people who like big chaotic games... Like 64 player shipment on CoD4.. or 64 players in BF3 on that ultra tiny infantry map (can't remember the name)

I don't get the appeal either, but they should be able to play how they want in their own servers. As long as it isn't harming the rest of the community.

Depends on what you find chaotic i came from orginal AVP, Quake, unreal tournament, battlefield 1942 (64 slots), battlefield 2 (64slots), project reality (100/200 slots)

High population fast paced is kinda the norm for me and i believe for other people.
    6 vs 6 , 8 vs 8 don't feel right to me more boring than fun but i'm not going to preach my opinion on every thread i see.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2016

Other than that the notion is ludicrous that anyone got banned or marked as troll for submitting bug reports. In fact I haven't seen anyone here officially marked as troll since... always, actually.

Only the trolls know they're in troll mode (usually are told about it by one from the staff but have no other way to figure this out) and only them and us (mods or admins) can see their messages. Let's say M.A (set as a troll on this forum) posts a random message in this thread, you won't see it.

That's all for me here.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    No Last Stand server :(
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    No Last Stand server :(

Join the defense server, its Katzenfleisch new take on last Stand.
  • _Tx__Tx_ Space Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221287Members
    How does this in any way relate to mofo's post? He specifically said that censoring wooza's name is not the way to go.

I'll add to Pelargir answer only this:

There are a many connections to his post actually. The way to find out is to get the person A version and person B version. Then you will be able to make an opinion closer to what's happening. I doubt you have all the versions at disposal.

Regards.

E.O.T
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Pelargir wrote: »

Only the trolls know they're in troll mode (usually are told about it by one from the staff but have no other way to figure this out) and only them and us (mods or admins) can see their messages. Let's say M.A (set as a troll on this forum) posts a random message in this thread, you won't see it.

That's all for me here.

I noticed at least a couple of them. They still show up as last posted by.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dilligaf wrote: »

Depends on what you find chaotic i came from orginal AVP, Quake, unreal tournament, battlefield 1942 (64 slots), battlefield 2 (64slots), project reality (100/200 slots)

High population fast paced is kinda the norm for me and i believe for other people.
    6 vs 6 , 8 vs 8 don't feel right to me more boring than fun but i'm not going to preach my opinion on every thread i see.

the difference is that this game was designed for 6 vs 6. It is a comp game and not battlefield or COD. So the game was never designed to handle so much players. So woozas server is NOT the way the game was supposed to be. It is not the original feeling.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I have to agree with Dilligaf.
    Yes its not the way its meant to be played..
    I dislike large servers to a extreme.
    But I have no issues with seeing it 'as a mod'. So let it live in the Arcade tab like it is now. I see 0 issue with that.
    edited August 2016
    Dilligaf wrote: »
    Rammler wrote: »
    It is not the original feeling.

So do we need to put a WARNING NOT ORIGINAL GAMEPLAY on every Wooza Server thread there is? Because people keep feeling the need to keep highlighting this on every thread while the Arcade/Mod tab does that job well enough..

No.. They just need to stop vaguely promoting it as "the best, finest, most beloved, most popular, etc" and acting like it's "the same as normal NS2"

A small performance disclaimer as I mentioned previously would do wonders as well. It can only benefit them to keep people who will rant about bad performance from joining their server in the first place.

I even made up a template as an example..
    "Arcade information wall.. A place to get information about the other side of NS2

If you want to try something different come check us out. We offer a larger more chaotic style of game that some find more enjoyable than standard NS2.

*For some performance might be slightly worse, but if you're like us you either won't notice or you'll be having too much fun to care..

(followed by info about servers/events/etc)

So come check out the dark side.. We have cookies!!

^^ Something like that and the thread never would've derailed, nobody would've had reason to post negatively, AND they'd be attracting the kind of people who would actually enjoy their server. (instead of attracting people who end up hating it and posting negatively)
    edited August 2016
    ^^ Something like that and the thread never would've derailed, nobody would've had reason to post negatively, AND they'd be attracting the kind of people who would actually enjoy their server. (instead of attracting people who end up hating it and posting negatively)

You do realise this is you most of the time :wink:

• snbsnb Join Date: 2006-11-09 Member: 58499Members
    Are all your servers hosted on the same physical machine?
  • NaliceNalice Hamsterwheel Join Date: 2016-08-11 Member: 221198Members
    @snb we have three physical servers.

Our main server is hosting Wooza's Playground and Wooza's Hamster Wheel (Originally 88 Slots alltogether, now 70 Slots)
    The second box is hosting Faded and Defense. Wooza has published some time ago the server specs, click here
    Our third box is hosting GunGame and Siege+.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Nalice wrote: »
    Doesn't it get tiring playing same old maps over and over again? How about helping people that are making new stuff for us to enjoy?

So... On Saturday the 20th of August we will have our next community event: Wooza's O.R.A Play-Testing event! We will play Outerrimark with the mapper Tex. The playtest will help him making adjustments for the map to make it even better.

All participants of the event will receive a unique shoulder patch that only can be obtained during this time.

Date & Time: 08/20/2016 9pm (UTC+1 / CET)
    Server: Wooza's O.R.A Play-testing Event (The server can be found in NS2 tab instead of Arcade)
    Map: Outer Rim Ark

Join us~

Wow Unclecrunch is still working on that map? Its been years since I first saw that in SCC!
  • NaliceNalice Hamsterwheel Join Date: 2016-08-11 Member: 221198Members
    edited September 2016
    On Saturday we have planned another event! Together we will be playing NS2:Combat and meet the combat devs.
    If you want to participate but don't own the game you have the chance to get one out of twenty free combat keys!
    All you need to do is to contact Wooza or Nalice on Steam. First come, first served!
    Also there will be another exclusive shoulder patch to be unlocked for participating at the event.

Date: 09/03/2016 9pm UTC+1 /12pm PDT)
    Server Name: Name: A nostalgic NS2:Combat event
    IP: apheriox.dyndns.org:27025

Join us :3
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    One question:

a thing that ALWAYS annoys me on woozas servers: why does NO commander research shotguns first? it is always on woozas servers, no matter who is commanding. is that a special wooza tactic?
    i don't get it. it is always this order:

grenades.
    advanced armory.
    mines.
    shotguns or HMG.

why research the best weapon in the game so late? 23 shotgun rines at minute 5 would be near an instant win.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    One question:

a thing that ALWAYS annoys me on woozas servers: why does NO commander research shotguns first? it is always on woozas servers, no matter who is commanding. is that a special wooza tactic?

grenades.
    advanced armory.
    mines.
    shotguns or HMG.

why research the best weapon in the game so late? 23 shotgun rines at minute 5 would be near an instant win.

You must be getting crappy commanders, I've always favoured the order of armour 1, grenades, weapon 1, phase gates, mines, armour 2, shotguns, weapon 2, AA, protolab, jet packs, weapon 3, exosuits then lastly armour 3.

Armour 1 is essential on woozas as half the team can't aim anyway and surviving that extra bite is essential, grenades are absolutely ESSENTIAL on woozas due to the high player count and pack mentality of skulks, armour 2 syncs nicely with shotguns because around fades come out you will be able to survive additional swipe and shotguns with weapon 1 is more than capable of killing fades with a dash of teamwork and a slight hint of aim.
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    One question:

grenades.
    advanced armory.
    mines.
    shotguns or HMG.

You must be getting crappy commanders, I've always favoured the order of armour 1, grenades, weapon 1, phase gates, mines, armour 2, shotguns, weapon 2, AA, protolab, jet packs, weapon 3, exosuits then lastly armour 3.

Armour 1 is essential on woozas as half the team can't aim anyway and surviving that extra bite is essential, grenades are absolutely ESSENTIAL on woozas due to the high player count and pack mentality of skulks, armour 2 syncs nicely with shotguns because around fades come out you will be able to survive additional swipe and shotguns with weapon 1 is more than capable of killing fades with a dash of teamwork and a slight hint of aim.

phase gates is a no go in woozas. like armorys. armory and a pg side by side and marines are not moving from this place anymore. i saw so much games on woozas where mariens are camping with 10 soldiers in front of an hive with a pg and an armory and are fighting against 2 gorges.
    phase gates make rines slow. yes. in woozas phase gates do the exact opposite of what they should do. they slow marines down.

and pro tip: i see so mich rookies buying flamethrowers... there wasting res on weapons they cannot handle. so i research an advanced armory, build a proto lab and after that i recycle the aa. so rookies cannot buy the flamethrower anymore...... hehe