Change or get rid of the spade fish

CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
Hello there,

I think the spade fish looks ugly (looks fake) and either needs to be altered to make it look more graphically real looking or just remove it from the game as it looks bad compared to the other fish in the game.

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    edited August 2016
    I think the hole fish looks good. The spade fish looks bad. I just don't think the quality is there for how it looks, maybe if it was retextured or something. Also, the mouth looks like a line was drawn for its mouth, it looks super fake. When I compare it to the other fish in the game it's like comparing a stick figure drawing to a photograph of a person. It wouldn't bother me if it was gone and replaced with something better looking. I also have no objection to creatures in the game that don't look anything like what we have on earth.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Cyion wrote: »
    I think the hole fish looks good. The spade fish looks bad. I just don't think the quality is there for how it looks, maybe if it was retextured or something. Also, the mouth looks like a line was drawn for its mouth, it looks super fake. When I compare it to the other fish in the game it's like comparing a stick figure drawing to a photograph of a person. It wouldn't bother me if it was gone and replaced with something better looking. I also have no objection to creatures in the game that don't look anything like what we have on earth.

Maybe that's just the way it looks. You might not like it, but if you don't like the way an organism looks, what can you really do? Nothing. I'm not crazy about some of the creature designs but I know that they most likely won't change, so I just deal with it (pun intended). And if you just really can't take it, go retexture it yourself for your own personal use. Because if you can't do it yourself, do you really deserve to have it?
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    I have a ton of creature concepts, when you design something; you have to account for:
    -geology
    -biology
    -dimorphism
    -environment
    -size
    -role
    -diet
    -active time (Nocturnal, Diurnal, or solar)
    -social structure

an example I had was for a large flight based reptilianoid that would be about 3-4 meters tall and have a mouth lined with hundreds of needle like teeth used to impale fish. It would rest during the day and come out to feed at night. it would be a creature like a bat that would inhabit large island caves and would migrate thousands of miles amongst mainland shores and islandic caves for migration and breeding. regardless you will rarely find them inside the continent, and they would often be considered sand angels at that point, an almost entirely different species. (planet geology is split oceanic and desertitified, with small oasises of grassland and rainforests.)
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    Maybe that's just the way it looks. You might not like it, but if you don't like the way an organism looks, what can you really do? Nothing. I'm not crazy about some of the creature designs but I know that they most likely won't change, so I just deal with it (pun intended). And if you just really can't take it, go retexture it yourself for your own personal use. Because if you can't do it yourself, do you really deserve to have it?

With that way of arguing we don't really need a suggestions forum anymore, do we? "Oh you want to suggest something? Well, do it yourself. If you can't you probably shouldn't have it."
    probably could create a topic for a guide for people aspiring to make a better creature.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    *phew!*

Had me worried there. Thought someone was going to say that the Spadefish was way too OP.

;)
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    *phew!*

Had me worried there. Thought someone was going to say that the Spadefish was way too OP.

;)
    My Seamoth could argue that. *plang* instead of *pflap*? Way OP.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    edited August 2016
    The spadefish could exist on this planet, it looks fine, it just looks different to anything we've seen before and that's why it looks so "weird" and "fake". If you don't want it too look "fake" maybe we should have a game with real life whales, fish and sharks. Maybe there shouldn't be a spaceship because they don't exist, we can't travel that far into space.
    Personally, I like the look of the Spadefish. It's unique, like many of the creatures in Subnautica. If you want to see a weird fish, take a look at the real life Goblin Shark. We can't just say "hey, I think the Goblin Shark looks weird, so we should change or remove it".
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    He doesn't criticize that the fish looks alien he's saying that he thinks the quality of the model and texture isn't good. Very different matter.
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    edited August 2016
    Terrazin wrote: »
    He doesn't criticize that the fish looks alien he's saying that he thinks the quality of the model and texture isn't good. Very different matter.

Thank you, somebody understands me. Anyhow, I think healthy debate is good thing as long as it is done with the right attitude and not being too critical of different opinions. Like the face palm post, I find disrespectful. You guys need to remember it is just a suggestion, and my intention and motive was to make a suggestion that I felt would make the game better for all of us to enjoy. Please don't make a comment that is supposed to make me feel like an idiot for daring to think differently than you do.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2016
    You do realize that fun and games should never be censored, but yeah in this day and age everyone including my goldfish is going to feel insulted in some way shape or form. TBH I don't like this development one bit!

I however do agree the textures are smelly on that fish. Something fishy about it!

15.gif
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    You do realize that fun and games should never be censored, but yeah in this day and age everyone including my goldfish is going to feel insulted in some way shape or form. TBH I don't like this development one bit!

I however do agree the textures are smelly on that fish. Something fishy about it!

15.gif

I'm disagreeing, as your joke was bad... *facepalm*
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Sigmalx wrote: »

15.gif

It was a bad punny joke, but I had a quick chuckle at it all the same xD

15.gif

That was kinda the entire point though :tongue:

15.gif

Wow, you really scaled a mountain of bad puns to get to that one, didn't you?

15.gif

Actually I had to dive deep to surface with that one, but sea what you did there!

Far from me to try and get things back on topic... However, let's get things back on topic shell we. Might as well do so or this thread is going to be all wet...

Sorry I'll stop...
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Actually I had to dive deep to surface with that one, but sea what you did there!

Far from me to try and get things back on topic... However, let's get things back on topic shell we. Might as well do so or this thread is going to be all wet...

Sorry I'll stop...

You should be sorry, the cringe, you SEA, is DRAGON me down...

You've infected me...

15.gif

Sorry I'll stop...

Don't worry man, I'm sure no one will be a beach and harbor a grudge :wink:
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    You heard Darwin. Now squid with this crab!
    @Darwin-Evolution hate to rain on your parade but this thread is becoming very shallow and OP is drowning in sorrows if this stuff keeps floating around

/me runs

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

UWE git on that better texturing dammit, geeeezzzzz you guys are almost as bad as me! Perhaps even worse cause I'm trying to cover my tracks by on-topic-ing in this sea of off-topic-nessi
    the spade fish looks dumb, maybe; but its kinda pretty at night.

After a few drinks, I'm sure...

ALRIGHT THAT'S IT, I'm banned from this thread xD
    why are you banned... too many bad puns (STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM, YOU HAVE VIOLATED COMEDY; PREPARE THY ANUS)

After a few drinks, I'm sure...

ALRIGHT THAT'S IT, I'm banned from this thread xD

Well I think its a little lake for that, I'm sure you didn't extend this for so long on porpoise.
  • TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members
    edited August 2016
    The fish puns are coming in spades about this issue.

I see the spadefish as inspired by the real world Bothriolepis, so I guess nature makes dumb looking things too :)

250px-Bothriolepis_canadensis.jpg

My only complaint is that the spadefish should be sitting on the bottom poking around in the sand. However in their current mode of swimming in the ocean makes them easy to catch.

I kinda like them salted with a side of seaweed and a large bottle of filtered water.
    we shouldn't harp on the spade fish, we should question the four eyed boomerang