seamoth/new vehicle compromise

SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
I have seen many talk about a need/want for another vehicle somewhere between cyclops and seamoth. Some have asked for a surface ship and others even for flying ships. I had the idea just now of just letting the seamoth live up to its name. The issue as i see it is you cannot outrun the reaper in the seamoth, you can out maneuver it a bit but it can be quite dedicated to killing you. In terms of natural evasion I considered the flying fish. The flying fish takes advantage of a layer of dense air near the waters surface and when it lunges out of the water at the optimal angle can glide for moderate distances to avoid predators by gliding at a higher speed than it could swim. How about an upgrade to the seamoth that attaches small deployable wing like accessories to the existing seamoth and allows for a quick burst to the surface and just slightly beyond a bit like the flying fish. It would fill the want for another vehicle by adding to an existing one and also satisfy the want for surface speed and flight.

Flying_fish_1.jpg
flying-fish-12.jpg

Comments

• LaMareLeonesLaMareLeones Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216410Members
    Honestly this guy is a genius. I hope this will actually become a reality, just the thought of breaching the surface and looking to the right of your sea moth and see wings deploy would be absolutely awesome! Give this guy some love man. Dev's are you watching!
  • MouldybaconMouldybacon Northkorea,USA Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220641Members
    Yea that sounds like a great idea.
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    Definitely would need a burst mechanism to broach the surface enough to be free. Great idea!
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited August 2016
    From my perspective it would make more sense to use a flight propulsion system in the Exo Suit. Somehow i dont see the seamoth as flying object...
    Also, by mounting wings you would be sacrificing other upgrade port that could be used to mount other important upgrades such as the Pressure Compensator, Storage and Perimeter Defence System.
    The issue as i see it is you cannot outrun the reaper in the seamoth, you can out maneuver it a bit but it can be quite dedicated to killing you]

Well since i found the "perimeter defence upgrade" the reaper doesn't scares me anymore, when he starts encircling me i start charging the defence system from 50 to 80% if i got the time. You may try to slide away and avoid facing him. Then let him face you so he can grab you as soon as your charge reaches 50%, and when he does grab you just give him a nice jolt and see him run like a scared little girl, sometimes he wont go far enough and will return, time to repeat the process and go for a second discharge.
    Using this, I was able to sustain attacks from 2 reapers at same time, and both ran away. Even got time to drop outside and fix seamoth´s hull which dropped to 50% as a result of all 4 attacks. The secret is to discharge as soon as he grabs you to prevent further hull loss. Having your cyclops nearby wont hurt either just in case you need a quick dock to recharge your moth.
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    Thanks all for the positive response. I wasn't proposing to change the hull much by the way, the pics were just pretty and to demonstrate the point. Instead of a fishlike propulsion above water maybe a dragline water jet like some of the water type personal jetpacks used now would be the simplest solution for a little more kick above the waterline. I wasn't thinking of sustained flight but more like 300-1000 meter hop and glide type escape and travel. The mod would have to include a small deployable wingset and also a type of boost or continued propulsion above water.
    Something like this?
    B4S_jet050912a_221572a_8col.jpg
    WSBurns wrote: »
    From my perspective it would make more sense to use a flight propulsion system in the Exo Suit. Somehow i dont see the seamoth as flying object...
    Also, by mounting wings you would be sacrificing other upgrade port that could be used to mount other important upgrades such as the Pressure Compensator, Storage and Perimeter Defence System.
    The issue as i see it is you cannot outrun the reaper in the seamoth, you can out maneuver it a bit but it can be quite dedicated to killing you]

Well since i found the "perimeter defence upgrade" the reaper doesn't scares me anymore, when he starts encircling me i start charging the defence system from 50 to 80% if i got the time. You may try to slide away and avoid facing him. Then let him face you so he can grab you as soon as your charge reaches 50%, and when he does grab you just give him a nice jolt and see him run like a scared little girl, sometimes he wont go far enough and will return, time to repeat the process and go for a second discharge.
    Using this, I was able to sustain attacks from 2 reapers at same time, and both ran away. Even got time to drop outside and fix seamoth´s hull which dropped to 50% as a result of all 4 attacks. The secret is to discharge as soon as he grabs you to prevent further hull loss. Having your cyclops nearby wont hurt either just in case you need a quick dock to recharge your moth.

I've never made the perimeter defense upgrade. Generally just avoid reaper locs like the plague. May have to give that a shot. So to speak.
    @WSBurns I think the sacrifice of loosing an upgrade slot is a natural balance. I see your point the seamoth is not very flight worthy as is but the idea is taking advantage of a naturally applied low energy glide and I think anything in the exo would work but be very energy intensive(rockets and big clouds of smoke). I'm suggesting a flying machine and that is a bit op as it is, shouldnt be able to cruse from +20 through -900 meters in the same craft anyway. We can make several seamoths although right now i dont due to stability issues and this would be just one build version. I'd likely also have a deep exploration version with sonar, depth, storage, defence, NO glide and even an attack version with hull plating, defense, torps, ect.
    Slackerstu wrote: »
    @WSBurns I think the sacrifice of loosing an upgrade slot is a natural balance. I see your point the seamoth is not very flight worthy as is but the idea is taking advantage of a naturally applied low energy glide and I think anything in the exo would work but be very energy intensive(rockets and big clouds of smoke). I'm suggesting a flying machine and that is a bit op as it is, shouldnt be able to cruse from +20 through -900 meters in the same craft anyway. We can make several seamoths although right now i dont due to stability issues and this would be just one build version. I'd likely also have a deep exploration version with sonar, depth, storage, defence, NO glide and even an attack version with hull plating, defense, torps, ect.

I think the Dev team is probably more focused on having a solid working game, and are possibly around the clock trying to sort several of the "naturally" occurring bugs for Xbox, PC and what comes next...Indulging our requests may not be a top priority right now.

There was Russian top secret project for an under the radar troop transport (Ekranoplan):
    snorcky_1105708046_ekrano.jpg

I saw some concept art around, and maybe this design could meet your expectations, certainly seems a better candidate for a pair or short wings:
    VehicleDetail.jpg

I agree work on the existing game first but part of the fun under development, just adding my ideas.
    edited August 2016
    Rockets would be horribly inefficient. Now if the propulsion/repulsion cannon idea could be jiggered, and adapted to the seamoth. It might possibly give the impetus to broach. Now would it have the juice to keep a moth airborn at 2-10 meters for 30-?? meters? Or even a repurposing of the grav sphere?

Both are workable(on paper, and in forum posts). How practical from a development, and story line perspective?

The 'moth would as you stated have to be either a variant, or a brand new class.

Either way. All good posts here.

Of course. Anything that would show up would have voracious power consumption. A power cell, or 3 would not cut it.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Fins should be pretty doable... I mean if you hit the water's surface at the right angle you're already airborne for 3 full seconds or so.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    But when you hit the water again your seamoth takes 5% damage. We need a way to stop players from using it all the time, and bypassing the amazing underwater environment the devs have created. Other than that it's a great idea, and we need a way to get away from Reapers quickly, because if you accidentally get too close your completely screwed at the moment :)
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    But when you hit the water again your seamoth takes 5% damage. We need a way to stop players from using it all the time, and bypassing the amazing underwater environment the devs have created. Other than that it's a great idea, and we need a way to get away from Reapers quickly, because if you accidentally get too close your completely screwed at the moment :)

No your not, i have posted above how i dodge the reapers and it works fine, maybe you could give it a try.
    even without the defense system you can still get away as is. You have to see them coming and go straight for the mouth and turn to miss at the last second and just keep going, dont look back. The reaper cant turn around fast enough to target you again and should be away but you have to see it coming. It is a surprise attack every time for me and i get about 1-3 meter warning and then crunch. Not that I complain about that mechanic it is scary and immersive.
    HA.... maybe just give me an ink sac for the seamoth and I'll ink myself to safety lol