Terraformer (Read the whole post)

KerbalatomicKerbalatomic Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206384Members
I know the terraformer is getting removed :angry:
When it's removed WHAT WILL DO MY LANDSCAPING??????? How will I build the ramps to the hatch on my island bases and building taller bases on land. There are NO Flying vehicles in Subnautica (I hope there will be eventually). Don't say increase to performance and players drilling to places they shouldn't drill to as the only reasons to remove it. If that's the case, add terraformer boundaries where it just stops drilling.

If the devs plan to readd the terraformer at a later date and are just reworking it to make it balanced then I'm fine with that. (I remember when it was a Green flashlight) if you have made that much progress on an item why delete it?

Comments

• JB940JB940 Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220248Members
    I've always wondered, they're keeping "land changing" with buildings, IE -> the building "saves" removed land around an area (which is not the same as voxel terrain), I always wondered, can't they do that with a "fake small building" ala terraformer? No voxel terrains but using the same techniques buildings do.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    Its not being readded. Ever. Its being removed so the map can be made static, which will make the game's performance ALOT better.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    When it's removed WHAT WILL DO MY LANDSCAPING???????
    Nothing. You'll just have to get creative. If players can find a way to build a base on top of the Aurora without any terraforming, you can certainly find a way to build yours on dry land.
    Don't say increase to performance and players drilling to places they shouldn't drill to as the only reasons to remove it. If that's the case, add terraformer boundaries where it just stops drilling.
    I've written it many times on this forum and I will write it again - it really is ALL about increasing performance and there's no way around it.

In order to let you keep ANY level of land manipulation, even to just create a small ramp, or dig a shallow hole in the ground, all the related mechanics will have to be kept in the game files. No matter how limited you agree for it to be, it will still have to be the entire system keeping the landmass in the game modifiable for the player. It will still bloat save files, delay terrain loading, glitch you out in dense areas, etc. No matter how fond of it you are, terraforming is just a small, non-essential gameplay mechanic. I enjoyed it as well, but when it's that or huge improvement in performance... the choice is very easy.

And unless I missed the memo or misunderstood the second post, the ability for the buildings to change the terrain around them is being removed as well.

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited August 2016
    The solution is simple: Add a few craftable components such as inclined and horizontal walkways that snap to foundation plates and each other, armoured doors, walls, floors and ceiling modules, plus a Universal docking collar module. Got most of the construction materials for monstrous sub pens and huge habitation modules right there. Pretty certain there might still be a certain degree of (controllable) terrain displacement, too. A reasonable sort of compromise.

You're welcome. :)
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    In order to let you keep ANY level of land manipulation, even to just create a small ramp, or dig a shallow hole in the ground, all the related mechanics will have to be kept in the game files. No matter how limited you agree for it to be, it will still have to be the entire system keeping the landmass in the game modifiable for the player. It will still bloat save files, delay terrain loading, glitch you out in dense areas, etc. No matter how fond of it you are, terraforming is just a small, non-essential gameplay mechanic. I enjoyed it as well, but when it's that or huge improvement in performance... the choice is very easy.
    That's not entirely true. Part of the problem with the current system is that it saves all the terrain data, regardless of whether it is actually modified or not. And it's easy for it to become modified, since Dig Sand is a thing, as is collision damage.

If they made it so that only explicit action (such as the terraformer or base building) caused terrain change (remove hand digging and damage) and made it only save the parts that were actually changed, the data size would be a lot smaller, and more likely to be confined to the immediate area of bases.

I don't know whether that would fix the performance issues, though, so they might still want to remove the whole thing for that reason rather than just the savegame size.
  • FryerDevilFryerDevil Austrailia Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220657Members
    Can't they just make it an option when you start a new game?
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    FryerDevil wrote: »
    Probably not, it's a pretty fundamental engine change.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    FryerDevil wrote: »

Sure, but then as @Mirality pointed out the underlying mechanics would still be there, bogging things down whether you picked the option or not. At this point, if the Terraforming is that vital to a player's experience, their best bet is to copy the game onto a USB drive and never let it update.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    @Rezca Haha, that is so simple solution and yet - it is brilliant! :D Just keep the latest version of the game where the terraforming is still present. Problem solved, lol.
  • eLIR18eLIR18 Turkey Join Date: 2015-08-17 Member: 207214Members
    I think they can add exclusive places where you can terraform. Using that they can add Rock Puncher. It will only punch the rocks in its biome because they are terraformable.
  • KerbalatomicKerbalatomic Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206384Members
    edited August 2016
    All right, everyone I have a question you all (Scenario) you are building a base in an underwater cave and you build too high and hit the roof of the cave, you go inside and have a look at the module you jut placed its all rock how will you work around that? and the auto terraform if you build a base room near the sea flour and dry land.

The game runs fine the way it is if you can't be patient enough to wait for loading to finish then why did you buy the game?
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited August 2016
    All right, everyone I have a question you all (Scenario) you are building a base in an underwater cave and you build too high and hit the roof of the cave, you go inside and have a look at the module you jut placed its all rock how will you work around that? and the auto terraform if you build a base room near the sea flour and dry land.

The game runs fine the way it is if you can't be patient enough to wait for loading to finish then why did you buy the game?

The devs wll most likely make it so you CANNOT build something where it'll go into the terrain. Also, we didn't make the decision. The devs thought performance was more important.
    Building in a cave, and you hit the ceiling? Simple, just build in a different direction.

• KerbalatomicKerbalatomic Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206384Members
    All right then, I will wait and see if there is a difference when it removed
    All right then, I will wait and see if there is a difference when it removed

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Terraforming stick around too, but Unknown Worlds decided that removing the mechanic to further optimize the game was the way to go. If they had the proper resources I'm sure they'd find a way to keep it in.

In the meantime, try copying the game over to a USB and keep it separate from the main game. If Terraforming is truly that important to you, you might want to do it now while the mechanics are still there, so you can go back to that old version and play with it when you need to do that terrain scultping and whatnot.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    if you can't be patient enough to wait for loading to finish then why did you buy the game?

I thought it was more about the pop-in you get, especially when driving the seamoth. I've had whole hillsides materialize just a few short meters in front of me because of that. It did not end well for my seamoth.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    The devs said something about improving the way bases carve out terrain. But the terraformer is not a big deal unless you are CRAZY for adding tiny details to your base. (or want to build a base on the floater island that is half on top half under)
    The devs said something about improving the way bases carve out terrain. But the terraformer is not a big deal unless you are CRAZY for adding tiny details to your base. (or want to build a base on the floater island that is half on top half under)

They're not improving it, but removing it. Terrain will be static and totally unchangeable, and in exchange we'll get WAY better performance and loading times. And no pop in.

They're not improving it, but removing it. Terrain will be static and totally unchangeable, and in exchange we'll get WAY better performance and loading times. And no pop in.

Well, there is that checkin comment about increasing the auto-terraforming distance on the Moonpool so that the exosuit has room to make it in..... But I figure that's just a temporary thing while the mechanic is still present.
    Rezca wrote: »

Well, there is that checkin comment about increasing the auto-terraforming distance on the Moonpool so that the exosuit has room to make it in..... But I figure that's just a temporary thing while the mechanic is still present.

Probably. It does seem like its been carving out more terrain recently.
  • Sabier3Sabier3 Dunedin Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212265Members
    edited August 2016
    Does anyone have any idea on when is the terraforming being removed? I kind of stopped playing the game for a while and thought I would get back to it once it runs a bit more smoothly, but that time seems to never actually come... (can't stand the pop in)

Edit: never mind, I just saw it here https://trello.com/c/VGGb7PyK/20-remove-terraforming (September)