That's One Vary Big Monster!

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
My seamoth is right inside the mouth of the skull of this monster; glad I didn't meet it when it was alive. That's one vary big monster!

a1ssvfyjfifv.jpg

Comments

• Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    I'm not surprised that it died. It would probably have a diet of several Reapers and Sea Dragons per day. The question is, where did it come from?
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Mr357 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised that it died. It would probably have a diet of several Reapers and Sea Dragons per day. The question is, where did it come from?

I would've thought it died because its jaws aren't articulated.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

Or...
    *gasp*
    OLD AGE!!!
  • BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members
    Very old. It probably died millions of years ago. They were prehistoric life forms, kind of like dinosaurs.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    "There is always a bigger fish."
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members

Actually i think it is partially fossilized. Explains why there's a lack of holes for food to pass through as well.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Well um... we are DEFINITLY gonna need a bigger boat!
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    You're at 700m depth, having traveled through several kilometers of confusing cave networks and looking at a creature with no gills.

It got lost in there and drowned. Sad but simple.

800px-Plesiosaur_skull.jpg
    Above: Not a fish.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    How do you know it didn't have gills? All it is is skeleton.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    You're at 700m depth, having traveled through several kilometers of confusing cave networks and looking at a creature with no gills.

It got lost in there and drowned. Sad but simple.

800px-Plesiosaur_skull.jpg
    Above: Not a fish.

And how did it survive long enough to get down there?
    Myrm wrote: »

Also this. Maybe it had a different system of filtering water. As far as I can recall, nothing in Subnautica has gills.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Gotta remember all the wildlife we've encountered in Subnautica is ALIEN. How many fish have gigantic eyes on Earth, let alone have only ONE eye and no obvious way to take in food? It's too bad we won't encounter the Barrel Eye Fish on the planet we're trapped on...

• DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members

The skeletal head I posted before was that of a plesiosaur, which is very obviously what they drew their inspiration from. They were air breathers, like whales. No gills. No brachial arch. Fish have special bones dedicated just to keeping their gills in place.

48018_fish_sm.gif

Alien world, whatever: There's a reason why stalkers look like barracuda and both sand sharks and bone sharks look like, well, sharks. Gasopods look like manatees wearing gas masks. Biters look like little angry red blobs of hate & teeth. Jellyfish look like jellyfish. Corral looks like corral and kelp looks like kelp.

Familiarity helps us figure out which fish are mean and which are harmless. And all this is perfectly justified, scientifically speaking, via a liberal interpretation of convergent evolution. Meaning that regardless of where a creature evolved, if the environment and it's role in the ecosystem are the same, you're going to get similar looking creatures.

So when you see something that looks exactly like a plesiosaur (i.e. that skeleton in the cave) then it's probably safe to assume that it's wasn't a vegetarian and that it was an air breather. Judging from it's size, compared to the size of the cave it's in, that's not it's normal hunting ground - too small of a space for it to maneuver quickly, which is important in a predator. Now factor in how deep and how far you have to go to find it (how many of us got completely lost trying to find our way around down there?) and I am painted a perfect picture of a large, meat eating, air breathing predator chasing (or being chased) into an area that it would not normally go. Once inside it gets turned around, can't find it's way back before it runs out of air, and drowns.

Because it died in a place that isn't crawling with other marine life and currents, the skeleton remains intact rather than ending up broken down into sand like it's brethren that stayed near the surface. Nice & neat and it all makes logical sense.

DagothUr wrote: »

The skeletal head I posted before was that of a plesiosaur, which is very obviously what they drew their inspiration from. They were air breathers, like whales. No gills. No brachial arch. Fish have special bones dedicated just to keeping their gills in place.

48018_fish_sm.gif

Alien world, whatever: There's a reason why stalkers look like barracuda and both sand sharks and bone sharks look like, well, sharks. Gasopods look like manatees wearing gas masks. Biters look like little angry red blobs of hate & teeth. Jellyfish look like jellyfish. Corral looks like corral and kelp looks like kelp.

Familiarity helps us figure out which fish are mean and which are harmless. And all this is perfectly justified, scientifically speaking, via a liberal interpretation of convergent evolution. Meaning that regardless of where a creature evolved, if the environment and it's role in the ecosystem are the same, you're going to get similar looking creatures.

So when you see something that looks exactly like a plesiosaur (i.e. that skeleton in the cave) then it's probably safe to assume that it's wasn't a vegetarian and that it was an air breather. Judging from it's size, compared to the size of the cave it's in, that's not it's normal hunting ground - too small of a space for it to maneuver quickly, which is important in a predator. Now factor in how deep and how far you have to go to find it (how many of us got completely lost trying to find our way around down there?) and I am painted a perfect picture of a large, meat eating, air breathing predator chasing (or being chased) into an area that it would not normally go. Once inside it gets turned around, can't find it's way back before it runs out of air, and drowns.

Because it died in a place that isn't crawling with other marine life and currents, the skeleton remains intact rather than ending up broken down into sand like it's brethren that stayed near the surface. Nice & neat and it all makes logical sense.

Except it doesn't. It would be the only creature of its type that there's evidence of in the entire playable area. And I don't mean a marine reptile. We have the Sea Dragon, which doesn't appear to have to go up for air. NOTHING in the game lives underwater but breathes air. And that bears only a passing resemblance to a plesiosaur skull. Its far stouter and much more angular. I'll give you that it's reptilian, but not that of a plesiosaur. It looks like an ancient relative of the Sea Dragon, who, as we've established, DOESN'T BREATHE AIR.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    It's also possible that whatever this creature is died for some other reason and became fossilized. Then, at some point, when the lost river cavern formed, the softer rock around the fossil was eroded away, exposing the skeleton. This could also explain some of the imperfections, such as the fused jaw and lack of a throat: the rock was, for one reason or another, not eroded away there, and is covering up the actual fossil.
  • BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members

Ahhh... the Super Mega Ultra Big Leviathan that feeds on Super Mega Leviathans. :/

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    It definitely ate fish or meat judging by the teeth, but it does seem to lack the nasal cavity to breath air like a plesiosaur. Not that it means much as it could have had a blowhole like a dolphin. Don't forget that not all structures that support gills have to be bone necessarily, it could be cartilige which wouldnt fossilize like bone so it would appear to be missing. If it had flippers they would appear to be missing, but could either be buried in the sand, didn't fossilize, or be made of material that could not fossilize so there is that as well. Not much else I can think of that wouldn't be pure speculation.

It could be similar to a sperm whale in that it can hold its breath for a very long period of time and was hunting in the lost river, which explains how it got down there in the first place as the lost river is much too small for a creature that size. Barring that perhaps it suggests seismic activity which either occurred after it died or trapped it in there after a sudden quake or something and drowned/starved. Who knows? Just a fun bit of speculation.

I wonder what the horn above its eyes was for?
  • cheetored20cheetored20 cheetored20 Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218564Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    It definitely ate fish or meat judging by the teeth, but it does seem to lack the nasal cavity to breath air like a plesiosaur. Not that it means much as it could have had a blowhole like a dolphin. Don't forget that not all structures that support gills have to be bone necessarily, it could be cartilige which wouldnt fossilize like bone so it would appear to be missing. If it had flippers they would appear to be missing, but could either be buried in the sand, didn't fossilize, or be made of material that could not fossilize so there is that as well. Not much else I can think of that wouldn't be pure speculation.

It could be similar to a sperm whale in that it can hold its breath for a very long period of time and was hunting in the lost river, which explains how it got down there in the first place as the lost river is much too small for a creature that size. Barring that perhaps it suggests seismic activity which either occurred after it died or trapped it in there after a sudden quake or something and drowned/starved. Who knows? Just a fun bit of speculation.

"engage raming speed"
    in all seriousness it could have been like an underwater bull.
  • TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members
    edited August 2016
    You guys are all funny making conjecture on some 3d model that an artist said "Oh that looks cool!".
    Here's some takeaway (repeating come obvious points and kudos to those here with background in anatomy)

1. No jaw articulation. Zip. Something magically fused it's jaw together. How it got to adulthood is perplexing if it was real unless it managed to swim around and vacume up food.
    2. Pegged teeth with elongated canines that are not curved backwards. So this critter was not bite, hold and swallow this creature specialized in hunting similiar sized prey that it had to bite and strangle. This meant something the same size or bigger that took in air through some sort of lungs. If the canines where smaller it'd be more like a trap for catching smaller prey (like a Plesiosaur).
    3. The rear of the jaw has lots of muscle attachment points to generate a lot of bite force but if it bites with just the front third it's lower jaw will fracture because of it's thin structure

Over all this alien species was doomed to fail :)
  • TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Too small to serve a function of defence or utility. Probably sexual (male or female) species differentiation. If the later then that meant there was more than one species that had the same body plan.

Or because who ever created it thought it would look cool.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    This fossil is (at the moment) the only connection we have to Primordial 4546B. In real life, too, predators have been shrunken down or have even become docile. Exhibit A: The Megalodon was a shark bigger than the great white, perhaps even two or more times bigger. Then there were ancient versions of Sperm Whales which used to put up a fair fight against even these Megalodons, but now they just eat giant squid, which don't put up too much of a fight. This beast may have been a larger, more dangerous Sea Dragon, before it met its end when the waters became shallower and its larger prey became harder to come by. Or maybe they still exist out in the abyss outside the map, who knows :)
  • overfloateroverfloater Earth Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220127Members

Some whales hold their breath for longer than 2 hours.

Some whales hold their breath for longer than 2 hours.

I say the level developer built a cave around it, forgot about it and like a bad aqarium owner let it die of starvation :)
  • SGTChuckSGTChuck Sup. I like to chill. And yell "WHAT" at my TV screen. Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219590Members

No, no, no the real question is how did it survive to be that big... It has no throat.
    SGTChuck wrote: »

No, no, no the real question is how did it survive to be that big... It has no throat.

Fossilization. The space where the throat was could have been filled.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members

No, the real question is how did it survive? It has no body, no flesh, no eyes ... It's just a skull laying on the floor. >.<

No, the real question is how did it survive? It has no body, no flesh, no eyes ... It's just a skull laying on the floor. >.<

He was a spoopy skelington, who as we all know can move on their own. 3SPOOPY5ME.

Rapid mineralization would have to happen from calciferous deposition by microbes/algae or hot spring mud but disarticulation by decay is still faster and happens even with rapid burial. Neat idea though. Usually the ligments contract during decay forcing the jaw open and the neck to arch back. This forces the skull to lay sideways. In real life if you look at complete fossil skeletons still embeded in matrix that it looks like the dinosaur is leaping through the air in some ballet move thats because of all the contraction during decay.

If for some reason the skull did decay upright then the upper would have collapsed onto the lower.