Serbian Language pack request

OmidionOmidion Join Date: 2014-03-06 Member: 194552Members
Hello,

I'd like to request Serbian to be added to the translation list. I wish to help and translate the game so it can reach a wider audience.
I am born and still living in Serbia, so Serbian is my native language. I'd like to add that it is VERY similar to Croatian (we were parts of a single country once) but it has some minor differences (i will help with Croatian as much as i can).
I've noticed that huge numbers of players in Serbia play World of Tanks because it has Serbian Language pack (even tho the game is not that great/fun...can't even compare it to NS2), so i'll use as much time as i can to help translate NS2 so it will get more Serbian/Croatian players.

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    It seems that you just need an account on the website: http://translate.unknownworlds.com

Everybody registered can help to translate the game but you need some admin rights to approve everything you do.

Anyway, good luck & thanks for helping us to translate this game for various languages. :)
  • OmidionOmidion Join Date: 2014-03-06 Member: 194552Members
    edited August 2014
    I do have an account on that site, but there is no Serbian language for me to translate.

I've done some translating to Croatian...and i must say i find it very amusing, i feel like i'm contributing :)
    So now i have a question:
    For example if i have Locker Room to translate do u want me to leave it like that or "translate" is to 'Loker Rum' that isn't a english word but when spelled by Serbs will sound correct (and other non Serbian speaking players will understand). The words will lose it's written meaning (when searching for Loker Rum on wiki u won't find a match) but when pronounced it will have meaning for all. Or just leave it like Locker Room and let players learn a bit of english, through hearing how it's pronounced over the voice chat ?
    (i ask this coz almost all TV stations here do the Serbization of words and i think it does more harm that it helps)
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I have asked our admin to add Serbian to the list, should be up later this weekend.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2014
    Omidion wrote: »
    I do have an account on that site, but there is no Serbian language for me to translate.

I've done some translating to Croatian...and i must say i find it very amusing, i feel like i'm contributing :)
    So now i have a question:
    For example if i have Locker Room to translate do u want me to leave it like that or "translate" is to 'Loker Rum' that isn't a english word but when spelled by Serbs will sound correct (and other non Serbian speaking players will understand). The words will lose it's written meaning (when searching for Loker Rum on wiki u won't find a match) but when pronounced it will have meaning for all. Or just leave it like Locker Room and let players learn a bit of english, through hearing how it's pronounced over the voice chat ?
    (i ask this coz almost all TV stations here do the Serbization of words and i think it does more harm that it helps)

Actually, you have to use the english words for all that kind of stuff. Ready Room = Ready Room for every languages. For instance, I'm one of the guys in charge of the french translation, we only want to use french sentences for everything except the key words like: Shotguns, Ready Room, Regeneration, etc. To be fair, weapons, structures won't need to be translated. Tips, Tutorials, descriptions, options, everything else must have their own translation.

I think it's our choice & I guess the other translaters are doing the same. But for the best & for a so small community, it's better to have similar words for all the important things to remember & learn, if one of the Serbian players attempts to join a french, english, spanish, whatsoever servers, it's gonna be easier for him to understand the most important words his team or commander ask as orders.

I have no idea if Serbian players have some english notions but you have to remember this, if you plan to translate all the game, there's a lot of things that do not need to be translated, "use original text as translation" could be often used.

Anyway, if Lukas is going to add Serbian on the list, good luck, it's gonna be hard to do it entirely but it's also gonna be very helpful for all the community. :) Don't hesitate to ask for any other question.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Sorry, Lukas was too quick, the Serbian section has been added. Translate away!
    edited August 2014
    Thank you, now i understand completely :)
    (when i was playing on Russian/French servers i didn't understand a word except stuff like Exo, Elevator Transfer, Crag, Fade, Onos etc.)

And tnx for accepting my request :)
    So...i'm nearing finish, i'm at 98-99% and i'd like to know two things :)

First can i maybe download the translation file somehow to check the translation or is that something the assigned Admin does ?

And second...how goes the search for the Serbian Admin ? I'd like to volunteer if u don't find anybody, i'm pretty amused (don't think i'm not taking this seriously, i'd doing my best) with this little "project" and i'd like to see it through if possible. And yea, don't think i'm doing this solo. I'm consulting with my wife, she knows serbian grammar better than me (she specialized in serbian language (grammar and stuff) when she was at high school), so i have her to check my mistakes. :)
    Summon @AceDude if you want Admin on the website. :)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Summon @AceDude if you want Admin on the website. :)

Let Acedude in peace mendasp and i are also admins ;)
    Hey guys, i've checked ingame how serbian letters look, and i must say letters š đ č ć ž look quite distorted and a bit bigger compared to the rest of letters. I know you didn't expect those kind of letters when u were making the font.
    If you could switch ingame to serbian and see for your self, that would be great :)
    Is there a way to fix that ?
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    UTF8: the most blessed and most damning invention in the history of computing :D