Various Bugs and Suggestions

Doc_ODoc_O Join Date: 2016-03-11 Member: 214114Members
edited June 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hello guys,
I have a bunch of bugs and suggestions that I wanted to bring up for quite some time now, so here they are! I'll start with the bugs.

BUGS

1. In the ready room of veil there is a texture bug on the floor. You can see it when you approach the Marine entrance and look on the "Keep Clear" sign on the ground. A few overlay textures are blinking around there.

2. There are two scale bugs in the voice menu. I'm using a standard 1080p 16:9 resolution, and in the voice menu for the marines the "Request Medpack" message is overlapping with the key bound to it. The same happens for alien gorge, only there it affects the message "Request Harvester".

3. When you're spawning as marine and accidentally drop your weapon while still standing on the IP, it will sometimes disappear and you will be unable to find it. This happened to me a few times, however I don't seem to be able to reproduce it atm. I still want to bring this up since there might be a problem.

4. The description of the new machine gun has an error I think. It says that the gun works good against "player targets" but is less effective at long range. Now I assume with "player targets" you actually mean "close targets"?

Now here are a few ideas that I collected while playing.

SUGGESTIONS

1. I would really like you to implement better collision detection for ARCs. It seems like ARCs are completely ignoring other ARCs in their collision detection. This leads to situations where there are multiple ARCs fused into each other in exactly the same spot, and only with a closer look you can tell that there are actually multiple ARCs. This way, commanders can have a hard time telling how many ARCs they have in a certain spot. Not only does it look ridiculous, but it also makes biling those ARCs quite easy, as opposed to when they wouldn't be fused into each other at exactly the same spot. The same applies to alien structures like Whips, these also seem to be a bit sloppy when it comes to collision detection among them.

2. I like skins, and I like the new skins that you recently released. But I would love skins to be complete, e.g. it would be great if there would not only be Abyss skulks, but also Abyss gorges, lerks, fades, and oni. The same goes for marines, if there is a Kodiak rifle, I'd love to see a Kodiak shotgun. While the new red rifle you recently released is great, it does not really fit to any current marine armor. To summarize my point, I think you should be making complete skin bundles that you sell, apart from selling each skin individually. Just like you did with the Tundra pack, people buy one thing and have everything fitting. So how about a Shadow Pack, an Abyss Pack, a Kodiak Pack, etc.?

3. With regard to the previous point I also want to suggest adding skins for all marine guns, not just rifles and shotguns. Additional skins for the axe would also be great. Having so many skins would further support my idea of selling them in bundles.

4. If possible, I think you should port the Reaper and Kodiak DLC packs to the NS2 item store to avoid confusion. To be honest, long ago when I got the game I was confused by the DLC and didn't quite get the point immediately that it's only skins.

5. Sometimes when playing marine I want to walk quietly without actually crouching. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this is currently not possible. I think that a "walk" button would be a great addition for more in-depth controls.

6. While I like the idea of dropping collectibles, I don't really see the purpose of the current ones, apart from an achievement. I have a lot of these collectibles already, also a lot of multiples, but nothing to do with them, and they just keep on accumulating. Maybe you could add a meaningful purpose for them, apart from just collecting. How about crafting something, like badges or skins? Some sort of sink for these collectibles would be great, combined with something useful you get from it.

7. The current Hive skill system is a bit odd. Every player has a number, but this number isn't really speaking. Is [1031] good? is [2206] already pro? What does [335] mean? I think that if you would replace the Hive skill number with skill badges you could improve the meaning of the Hive system. For instance, a player with a Hive skill between [800] and [1000] would get a certain scoreboard badge that would be representative of his current skill group. It's done this way in CS:GO, and I personally think it is a good way of doing it. We don't really need to know whether somebody has a skill of [1230] or [1235]. I think that you could optimize the amount and quality of information regarding players' skill using more speaking badges in the scoreboard instead of numbers.

8. Please allow map selection when playing sandbox.

9. On certain maps alien eggs and marine structures (e.g. IPs that are placed by default when the game starts) tend to float in the air when they are placed in a weird spot, like on the edge of some stairs. This isn't really a big problem, but it looks odd. Maybe you could enforce structure placement only on even surfaces? That would make both alien and marine bases more visually appealing.

10. When playing commander and trying to palce an RT on a resource node that is already occupied by the other team, you get the message "out of range". I think that, especially for new players, this information isn't very helpful. It should be more explanatory, e.g. "Resource node already occupied.".

11. On many maps the upper hanging arms of the hive model do not reach the ceiling or any other object, so they end up floating in the air, which looks odd. I guess you could easily fix that by making them longer, long enough to make sure they always reach the ceiling.

Please comment below and let me know what you think of all these things. I really appreciate that NS2 is still in active development, it's a great game and I hope you devs will keep on improving it.

Comments

• diracdirac Canada Join Date: 2016-07-02 Member: 219480Members
    5. Sometimes when playing marine I want to walk quietly without actually crouching. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this is currently not possible. I think that a "walk" button would be a great addition for more in-depth controls.

I think it'd be better if they just increased the noise depending on how fast the player is moving. Adding another button for walking seems redundant

I liked all of your other ideas though!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I could respond to a lot of this, but I don't feel the need. I will explain this though.
    "4. The description of the new machine gun has an error I think. It says that the gun works good against "player targets" but is less effective at long range. Now I assume with "player targets" you actually mean "close targets"?"
    It does mean player targets, as opposed to structure targets. It is less effective at long ranges because it has a higher bullet spread than the rifle. It is likely this could be worded better.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    when you xenocide it gives you same symbol as you type KILL in console and if marines have 6 hp they wont die no matter how close you are even if 10 marines are all RED HP, you simply die from xenocide and have to wait to respawn dealing literally 0 damage.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RadimaX wrote: »
    when you xenocide it gives you same symbol as you type KILL in console and if marines have 6 hp they wont die no matter how close you are even if 10 marines are all RED HP, you simply die from xenocide and have to wait to respawn dealing literally 0 damage.

?
  • Doc_ODoc_O Join Date: 2016-03-11 Member: 214114Members
    dirac wrote: »

I think it'd be better if they just increased the noise depending on how fast the player is moving. Adding another button for walking seems redundant

There is no way to control "how fast the player is moving". That's what I am actually suggesting: a walk button slows you down and makes you silent. Every serious shooter game has a walk button, because there is no redundancy to crouch at all. Crouching changes your viewport and angles. Sometimes I need to move silently without obscured viewport and angles. That's what walk is about. The use cases for crouch and walk are completely different, and it annoys me that NS2 ignores that fact.
  • diracdirac Canada Join Date: 2016-07-02 Member: 219480Members
    Doc_O wrote: »
    dirac wrote: »

There is no way to control "how fast the player is moving". That's what I am actually suggesting: a walk button slows you down and makes you silent. Every serious shooter game has a walk button, because there is no redundancy to crouch at all. Crouching changes your viewport and angles. Sometimes I need to move silently without obscured viewport and angles. That's what walk is about. The use cases for crouch and walk are completely different, and it annoys me that NS2 ignores that fact.

I was thinking about it like a console game for some reason, not PC. I see your point.

Hypothetically, could you get the same functionality from delaying the movement sound until the player has been continuously running for 1-2 seconds?
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    usually fps games that have sprint dont have walk