Your opinion about enlarged hitboxes

.trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
edited July 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm genuinely interested what the actual players think about the bigger hitbox mesh.
Please don't be sarcastic, I still have a glimmer of hope that the devs pay attention to their playerbase.

EDIT:
The poll is not about hitreg, it's about the size of the new hitboxes

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    [x] I'm not an expert on hitboxes and can not judge whether or not the old hitboxes were in the right place or not. I do not know if I used to unjustly miss with my shots or if I now unjustly hit with my shots. I would need a direct comparison to know that.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bicsum wrote: »
    [x] I'm not an expert on hitboxes and can not judge whether or not the old hitboxes were in the right place or not. I do not know if I used to unjustly miss with my shots or if I now unjustly hit with my shots. I would need a direct comparison to know that.

hitbox.jpg
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    The poll is not about hitreg, its about the size of the new hitboxes...
    edited July 2016
    Looking at the before-hitbox screenshot, I'd say that a part of the skulk models head was not accurately covered by hitbox, which means that if I shot that part, no damage would have registered, even though it should have.
    edited July 2016
    What I meant with direct comparison was more like shooting 200 skulks before and after the change. The screenshots don't really tell me what is right.

The graph also seems to prove, that the aliens have adapted to the change after a while, because the trend was going towards 50/50 again, even before the melee change.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What I meant with direct comparison was more like shooting 200 skulks before and after the change. The screenshots don't really tell me what is right.

The graph also seems to prove, that the aliens have adapted to the change after a while.

Well it is right to be only be able to hit where the model is. The screenshots show you exactly that they changed that. Ingame "feeling" is not very accurate.
    edited July 2016
    Yes, had the same thought about adaption. Humans are great at that, it doesnt mean the changes they adapt to is good, its a necessity :P
    Ill shut up, dont want to influence the vote (too much :D).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    [x] I think this whole deal needs further experimentation and counter balancing in order to be a justifiable change, but then it might end up not terrible.
    [x] I think this whole deal needs further experimentation and counter balancing in order to be a justifiable change, but then it might end up not terrible.

Should've added this as a 5th option... any way to do that now?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    .trixX. wrote: »

Should've added this as a 5th option... any way to do that now?

I don't know. I summon forum wizard @Ironhorse .
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2016

The problem is with the way they've been going their "counter balancing" will probably be even worse changes that utterly obliterate balance and fun beyond any hope of recovery.

It all just feels way too similar to the way Faultline went about balancing combat... If you'll notice nobody plays that anymore.
    edited July 2016

The graph also seems to prove, that the aliens have adapted to the change after a while.

Well it is right to be only be able to hit where the model is. The screenshots show you exactly that they changed that. Ingame "feeling" is not very accurate.

Is that all there is to it? Like I said, I'm not an expert on this matter. I just find it weird that other fast paced multiplayer games don't even try to have a 1:1 model:hitbox at all. Like, you can shoot next to their head or between their legs and still hit.
    edited July 2016

Is that all there is to it? Like I said, I'm not an expert on this matter. I find it weird that other fast paced multiplayer games don't try to have 1:1 model:hitbox at all. Like you can shoot next to their head or between their legs and still hit.
    h2-noscale.jpg

Im not so sure about that. Sure, it's not so tight as NS hitboxes were, but their main goal in CS was to eliminate those sharp edges where there were no visible mesh elements at all.
    I was playing competitive CS for a long time (1.6&Source), and our main grievance in Source was inconsistent models and hitboxes. I'd rather have realism; if there is nothing to hit, then I don't expect damage to be registered. Otherwise, it seems cheap and badly designed.

There is also a backlash against the ridiculous hitboxes in overwatch.

EDIT:
    My impression is that sloppy hitboxes in other games are not a question of design, but rather technical limitation/performance optimization.
    But hey, lets stick to the NS2 context, I dont give a rat's arse about CS or OW...
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, well, CS isn't really fast paced.

In terms of speed, NS2 may be comparable to TF2 and TF2 also uses hitboxes that are way bigger than the model.
    xSx0Xcn.png

Or how about reflexes hitbox:
    UFI4nDW.png
    Yeah, well, CS isn't really fast paced.

CS and NS are very similar in pace... Sometimes no engagement for several tens of seconds, then BOOM 3-4 enemies and a fast skirmish.
    And as a bonus, NS is asymmetrical... and which team's hitboxes were enlarged? The one facing ranged weapons
    edited July 2016
    Sorry, I'm talking about movement speeds.

Also, I don't give think that UWE made this change with balanace in mind at all, but to provide a better hit registration feeling in general. By slightly increasing the hitbox, the benefit of the doubt is on the shooters side which is good imo. As alien you don't know whether or not the marines shots should have hit or not, except when he's hitting you around corners. I would expect more corner kills with this change, but I'm okay with this, because it is the aliens fault for not disengaging sooner or dodging better.

Not hitting when shooting the alien models edges is however more frustrating than that imo.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Bicsum is talking a whole lot of sense.

Also, your last option:
    Quite the contrary, skulk models should've been made smaller and the rest of the lifeforms kept as they were (loathe)
    is not mutually exclusive with increasing the size of the hitboxes. It would be possible to shrink the skulk to make it less of a target, while still having slightly more generous hitboxes so that damage feels more consistent.
    Sorry, I'm talking about movement speeds.
    In that regard, you're right.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If what Bicsum is saying makes sense to you, Remi, then can you explain your lack of care for balance?

It seems to me hitboxes are intrinsic to balance in an FPS game. You simply can't change them without affecting balance.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I posted this in the other thread, but it's relevant here as well. Here's an update on the balance situation:
    koLZ02l.png
    remi wrote: »

Also, your last option:
    Quite the contrary, skulk models should've been made smaller and the rest of the lifeforms kept as they were (loathe)
    is not mutually exclusive with increasing the size of the hitboxes. It would be possible to shrink the skulk to make it less of a target, while still having slightly more generous hitboxes so that damage feels more consistent.

Well, can you point me to a more sophisticated poll system on the forums?
    Also, i must disagree. Having smaller targets doesn't compromise your aim as long as its visible, the size of the hitbox does. And that holds for real life too, I've been on the hungarian national team in shooting for a few years.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    As I understand hitbox were changed at least partly to hide hitreg problems

Not really if you account for the fact that NS doesnt have "headshots" while all these big hitbox games have.

Those last pistol shots against a fleeing lerk are now overly easy there is no sense of achievement, same for meatshoting fades.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    For me it looks like the new Hitbox in CS:go is larger now compared to the old.
    Beside that i dont like that i can hit someone when my aim is not on target.
    Like the hillarious overwatch hitbox (is this fixed btw, always behind with news from games i dont play)

If not, its just amazing that our "NS2 hitreg is garbage"-"Pros" are playing this now instead of NS2:
    And its also amazing that the same "The devs didnt listen to us"-people having no problems with this "awesome" hit mechanics.
    I posted this in the other thread, but it's relevant here as well. Here's an update on the balance situation:

Well, imo that only shows that people started playing more cautiously as aliens and/or turned to other exploits. You made it unreasonably hard for them to move around, and if your true goal is "player retention", then that's the exact opposite one would want.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2016
    i liked the tight hit boxes. I would have favored an enlarged model to make the hit boxes larger.
    I think it would help me as a shitty skulk if the cuspid/canine teeth helped "define" the damage area. What's the point of having teeth if they don't actually show me anything or help me aim.

I guess only the top incisors do damage... ha.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    I think the change is fine, as long as they don't do anything more in this area. If they keep increasing the hitboxes and skulk bite, then they will ruin the game. It's fine after these updates though. Again, people need to be taught how to play the game, how to move, how to hit a higher percentage. The healthbars and hitboxes I think end up helping good players more than someone who has trouble hitting anything to begin with.
    edited July 2016
    Deck_ wrote: »
    I think the change is fine, as long as they don't do anything more in this area. If they keep increasing the hitboxes and skulk bite, then they will ruin the game. It's fine after these updates though. Again, people need to be taught how to play the game, how to move, how to hit a higher percentage. The healthbars and hitboxes I think end up helping good players more than someone who has trouble hitting anything to begin with.

But they rant about the changes being made are for the sake of player retention. Well, if you change the game every second week, how will new players feel about that?
    We are but a few NS fanatics on the forums who will most likely stick to the game no matter what. But what about the rest? They play a few hours, then check back a few weeks later only to see that the game has changed. Nonsense at the max.

If NS2 has become a beta test for NS3 (which I highly doubt), then OK, I'm fine with that. But I want conformation in that case.
    Wob wrote: »
    If what Bicsum is saying makes sense to you, Remi, then can you explain your lack of care for balance?

It seems to me hitboxes are intrinsic to balance in an FPS game. You simply can't change them without affecting balance.

The way I see it, fun comes before balance in terms of priority.
    You shouldn't implement or leave an unfun element in the game just to make or leave it balanced.
    No, you change the element to make it fun, and if that breaks balance, you'll rebalance in other parts without making it unfun again.

The precise effect of this change was not forseeable. Testing it like they did was the only way to know what to change next.
    As I understand hitbox were changed at least partly to hide hitreg problems
    Or they were changed to fix the hitreg problems, because the former hitboxes were not the best practice implementation for a fast paced shooter.

Not really if you account for the fact that NS doesnt have "headshots" while all these big hitbox games have.
    Care to elaborate what headshots have to do with hitting or not hitting?
    Those last pistol shots against a fleeing lerk are now overly easy there is no sense of achievement, same for meatshoting fades.

You're exaggerating.