How did you join and a big thank you to the devs/YouTubers

ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
What introduced you to Subnautica and what prompted you to buy it? Let's all share our stories here.

I was introduced to the game through PeanutButterGamer and was hooked on its visuals alone. I did a little research on the game and I was thoroughly impressed. I believe I then found a YouTuber by the name of SplatterCatGaming and watched him play the game as well. Eventually in July I caved and bought the game. It was insanely fun and I loved playing. After a while I searched the wiki and kept hearing about some guy I'd never heard of named (stop me if this name rings bells) JackSepticEye. So essentially I have this game to thank for introducing me to one of my favorite YouTubers, and through him, to Markiplier and PewDiePie. So thank you devs for making a great game, thanks to Jack and Mark for spreading the game and giving me laugh after laugh at their fishy misfortunes, thank you to PBG for introducing me to this game, and finally, thank you to everybody in this community for spurring ideas, having lots of fun commentary, and for spreading advice and tips. Now, I have a Reaper to slay, happy swimming.

Comments

• LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I watched Markiplier play, but it was 8-Bit Ryan (from 8-Bit Gaming which he does with Other Ryan) that got me to play. At the point that I was watching Markiplier he was using cheats and such. 8-Bit Ryan's playthrough of the game drew me in as it was from the perspective of someone who's just starting out with the game without any prior knowledge. So now I'm eagerly awaiting his next Subnautica vid. :)

Oh... and his latest so far...

Subnautica 6: Dancing with the Devil of the Sea
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I was already following Jacksepticeye months before I heard anything from the game. I was actually impatiently waiting for him to do a playthrough of at least one underwater game, and that did happen. He did a playthrough of Stranded Deep, which I was all over until I saw a game on his channel whose name caught my eye. After the first few minutes of Jack's gameplay, I had forgotten about Stranded Deep, and the new game became my favourite one ever made. That new game was Subnautica, and all I wanted to do was play it myself, which is something I don't usually do when I discover games from youtube. All I do is just watch a playthrough instead of actually getting it and playing it. This one was so good, I just had to buy it. So I downloaded Steam and bought the game. I was so excited to get into it, only for my excitement to be crushed when I found out that I couldn't play it because my PC wasn't good enough. Obviously, I was pissed off at first, but there was nothing much I could do, 'cause I was not getting myself a new PC. So I decided to do what I usually do, which is watch Jack's playthrough. Each time I was waiting for the next episode, I was like the people at the start of this vid.

Then I decided that one playthrough isn't enough. SO I subbed to more youtubers who play the game, notably the following:
    Then, after I found the official Wikia community, I found Subnautica's youtube channel, where I saw a link to the forums, where I made myselfan account and read everybody's comments and commented myself.

The one that blew my mind was the one which confirmed Subnautica's release to Xbox one. At this point, I felt like this:

Which finally leads to the present time, where I'm actively playing the game almost every day.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    This is a cool discussion!
    A little embarrassed to say, but PaulSoaresJr introduced me to Subnautica. Back when I was much younger, I used to enjoy watching his Minecraft videos and at the start of 2015, I decided to check out what content he had moved on to create (it was a while since I last looked at his channel). I saw his first Subnautica video and after the first video, I was hooked. I got the game on Steam and played the hell out of it, started checking the Trello and all sources on information for updates. I then found out that there was an early-access special addition with the limited addition bulkhead and the other little extras. Despite already having the game, I decided to buy the Special Edition to further support the game and also for the sake of the bulkhead and the ability to brag in the future that I had the Early-Access Special Addition. I have followed and supported Subnautica ever since :tongue:
    That's my little story :)
    (I believe PaulSoaresJr was one of the first Youtubers to make a video on it, which is pretty neat)
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Jacksepticeye all the way man. But, since then I've become a lot more involved of my own accord.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited July 2016
    An old Army buddy of mine sent me a message on Facebook one day: "Hey man, have you seen this new Subnautica game? Its supposed to be a scifi survival game where you crash on an alien water world. No zombies in it, so I won't play it, but you dive so maybe you'll like it. Its early access though."

I googled it, kicked my Steam account awake, and bought it. Its my 'relaxing' game. :)
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    An old Army buddy of mine sent me a message on Facebook one day: "Hey man, have you seen this new Subnautica game? Its supposed to be a scifi survival game where you crash on an alien water world. No zombies in it, so I won't play it, but you dive so maybe you'll like it. Its early access though."

I googled it, kicked my Steam account awake, and bought it. Its my 'relaxing' game. :)

Haha that's pretty cool! Subnautica is (like you said) very relaxing and unique :)
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    It kind of has that Minecraft feel to it. Be creative, be careful you don't get eaten, and explore a huge variety of biomes. Both games are really enjoyable to me.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    You know, it's weird, because I'm personally not a big fan of survival games. I mean, I don't mind them, but games like Minecraft didn't really interest me a lot. Despite this, Subnautica has become my favourite game ever made.

888508768-spock-meme-generator-your-logic-seems-kinda-flawless-9ef198.jpg
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I saw MagzTV play it on youtube, and it seemed awesome.
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I saw MagzTV play it on youtube, and it seemed awesome.

MagzTV it was for me as well.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Was introduced at about the same time by both Markiplier and Jacksepticeye... Was introduced to Mark about a year ago through a friend and watched one of his playthroughs of Until Dawn (I think was the title) and had discovered Jack while looking for Kerbal Space Program videos, laughed my arse off and have been subbed since. After discovering the Subnautica I thought 'this game is fun, but... early access. I'll wait' and so I waited and waited and waited until I couldn't stand it anymore so I bought it and haven't looked back since.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I'm Dutch!

I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic! (Although your info card saying "The Netherlands" was kinda a big giveaway anyways... although to be fair, just because you're there doesn't necessarily mean you're Dutch...)
  • XanzokenXanzoken New Zealand Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219170Members
    I was watching a streamer Vinny play this and decided to give it a try. Haven't looked back since, really looking forward to each update :D
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I was in a cafe, sipping an espresso, when I saw a guy watching a Subnautica video from some unknown to me YouTuber. I couldn't help myself and kept taking peeks over his shoulder, because the visuals were so gorgeous. I didn't know the game's name and was too shy to just come over to the man and ask, so I ended up searching the internet at home for a clue. It took a while, but I finally found it on Markiplier's channel. I watched first few minutes of one of his vids and bought the game instantly. As a great fan of games where I can build and explore, I simply had to try Subnautica out, and I was not disappointed: after 138 hours spent on that alien planet, I'm still giddy when I start a new game.
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    I saw Subnautica on Youtube, 1 year ago. I was on fire and in full Love. I love Underwater games. So I bought it.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    I'm really big into survival games so I found myself one day browsing the steam store for a new one to play. I saw Subnautica and watched the trailer and was hooked instantly. I had to try the game out. I fell in love with the game immediately. If I'm completely honest I haven't had this much fun with a game in years. At the time I found Subnautica I was feeling pretty burnt out and jaded towards video games, but Subnautica changed all that. I started playing back in the June 2015 build and boy how the game has changed since then.
  • ChimpXChimpX Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206391Members
    I saw it featured on Steam, and the ad picture was cool enough to make me click it. The autoplay video ran and I was caught like a hungover hoopfish. I've been gaming for 20 years but had never seen anything quite like it. I never even knew at the time that survival/crafting was a 'genre'.
    Subnautica quickly became one of my favourite games of all time; I can't recall having waited for a release with such anticipation.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm Dutch!

I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic! (Although your info card saying "The Netherlands" was kinda a big giveaway anyways... although to be fair, just because you're there doesn't necessarily mean you're Dutch...)

The hint lies within the water ;)
    I'm Dutch!

The hint lies within the water ;)

I don't get it... is that a reference or something?
    I don't get it... is that a reference or something?

Well... large portions of the Netherlands are below sea level... but that's not "within the water", so... ya, I'm confused too.

Oh come on you guys :D

The relationship between the Dutch and water, a water planet, we must conquer it, contain it, it's what we do?

You just drowned the joke <-- It's a good thing I just came up with that one :tongue:
    What do the Dutch have to do with water? What's so important about the relation between the two? And why is it the Dutch and not the Australians or South Africans or Japanese? What's the context?

Sorry, but I'm genuinly both ignorant and curious.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2016
    The game one day popped up on my suggested game tab in Steam. It instantly caught my attention so i went to Youtube to watch a few Lets Play to see if it was to my liking. Thats when i found IGP's lets play. Suffice to say i got HOOK'ed (*snickers :smiley: *) instantly and bought the game the same day. Almost 600hrs of gameplay later i never once regretted my purchase :smile:

Watching this on youtube made me discover IGP's channel too so all in all that was a good day for me since its when i found 2 great discoveries :wink:

edited July 2016
    What do the Dutch have to do with water? What's so important about the relation between the two? And why is it the Dutch and not the Australians or South Africans or Japanese? What's the context?

Sorry, but I'm genuinly both ignorant and curious.

Alright, fair enuf :smile:

Got issues with water and you can afford it or as relief aid, we will come and fix it. Want an airfield in the sea, no problem. Want to conquer a water planet he he he :D
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    JFC, Darwin, you've just successfully ruined the thread.

If you fail to understand something another poster wrote, write them a frigging PM (private message, in case you fail to get that too) and don't derail an otherwise awesome topic with your ignorance.

Back on topic, I got hooked on Subnautica through a friend who is pretty much a Subnautica addict at this point. I watched him ride his seamoth and die to a reaper and I just knew I had to try that. No regrets, loving the heck out of the game.
    @Victor32 That level of antagonism was completely unnecessary, and tends to ruin threads by causing flamewars. You could have made that case by PM just as easily as he (and I) could have asked Kouji for clarity.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    That's pretty awesome Kouji-san. It all makes sense now :)
    @Kouji_San Thanks for clearing that up.

@Victor32 Neither Sidchicken nor I wanted to start another argument in the forums, we just didn't understand Kouji's joke. To avoid this sort of thing happening right now, let's just please forget about this misunderstanding and get back to the point of this thread.

Apolagies anyway.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Let's settle down children and focus on what's important, A.K.A our love of Subnautica