Multipurpose rooms are no longer going to be a starting blueprint...

Comments

• scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited June 2016
    Looks great! I pretty much have to have a Bench in my bases, so I went with the T over the straight piece or the cross, since I could get it against a wall without giving up much.

There are some downsides to the microbases - for example, you can't reinforce them like an MP room, so they are best in 200m or less depth. But being able to pack everything you need for a fully functional base into your inventory is kind of cool. Its like camping (or backpacking) where space is limited and everything has to be useful or it gets left behind.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Well... at least those deployable waterproof lockers will be getting LOTS of use (I use them quite a bit when starting a new game).
  • Nyota_AskariNyota_Askari Arizona Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219397Members
    The 'minimalist' style is neat! I'm almost ashamed that I built a rather large Resort in my Survival game! I even turned my starter base (one multipurpose room and a moonpool) into a "gas station" on the opposite side of the map (it has food, power, recharge stations, etc)!

My resort comes complete with a bar, multiple hotel-like rooms, infirmary, employee workroom & break room, and a sealed off area for the nuclear reactor in case it explodes! :) There are photos of all the locations and many adventures spread around the resort as well. There's even pictures of rather aggresive wildlife just before it attacked (thankfully I made it out alive with the photos!)!!

We offer a variety of activities too! Various tours in the Cyclops, snorkeling in the shallows, and even a chance to swim with tamed carnivores! You never know when the rescue ship will arrive, they might want to stay a while!

It took me a while to get all this, and it looks like I'm going to have to start a bit smaller for a while so it's going to take even longer on the next restart resort! I can't wait!

I LOVE this game life!
    I may have to start a new game because of this. I imagine when the developers are done, we'll only have the single I corridor blueprint...
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    I may have to start a new game because of this. I imagine when the developers are done, we'll only have the single I corridor blueprint...

Well, to be fair you'd have to start a new game sooner or later, since each update makes it increasingly likely that your saved game file won't work right. I don't think it will be quite as bad as a single I corridor, either. The real problem isn't in obtaining the blueprints for bigger rooms, its getting the blueprints for power systems, like the Solar Panels. Without them, your base doesn't even hold air, no matter how large/small it is.:(
    edited July 2016
    Well... at least those deployable waterproof lockers will be getting LOTS of use (I use them quite a bit when starting a new game).

I usually only build two per game, so I can pre-pack an outpost in them. Early game, I can't spare the titanium, and late game I have lockers/subs/etc to store things. In the early game, I just dig a couple of shallow pits under the life pod, and on the beaches (Aurora, floater island, mountain island). Everything I collect gets dropped into the pits, where it rolls down and piles up, to be picked up later when i need it. Fast, cheap, reliable.
  • ChJeesChJees Sverige Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219412Members
    I wonder if we are gonna start out with a mini dome room instead of the Multipurpose Room then. Would be like a endpiece in a corridor that is just slightly larger than the corridor itself.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    ChJees wrote: »
    I wonder if we are gonna start out with a mini dome room instead of the Multipurpose Room then. Would be like a endpiece in a corridor that is just slightly larger than the corridor itself.
    I can imagine something the size of an X-Corridor, just squared. Doesn't offer more wall area but has more floor space. Might even be enough room for an Indoor Growbed.

Actually a room that size would be great for small specialized areas for which a Multipurpose Room would be rather too big. The four walls could either be used for connections or for windows/reinforcements/greenery.
  • AnswerAnswer Stuck at the bottom of the deep, dark, crazy-assed fish dwellin' deep blue sea. Join Date: 2016-06-04 Member: 218101Members
    It could be nice to take this opportunity to make smaller room available too. Something more or less the size of the observatory or the 4-way hallway.
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    I decided to embrace the idea, since it fits well with my minimalist base style (packing as much useful stuff in as small a place as I can).
    Yup, really nice. And that is much more realistic to what an underwater base would actually be like.

damn.... just brought back memories of my mom.... she loved to go to garage sales... once bought a table and chairs, they were solid oak and extremely heavy. she some how managed to pack that 8 person table and chairs into a very early 80s honda. (I don't even think I can fit into one now) then me, my sister and my mom all drove home from visiting family in 1 state to another for 10+ hours.... still boggles my mind that she was able to pack it all in there and have room for us!
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    The game is about progression, slowly working up the tech tree to be able to free yourself of all the various constraints you have at the start of the game. Oxygen / depth gating, thirst and hunger mechanics, swimming speed, storage and building space, etc.

Just as an example, on the vehicle tech path you start out with a seaglide, then are able to build the Seamoth which gives you additional depth and added mobility and safety. Then finally the Cyclops, which allows you to go much deeper, can be used as a mobile base.

On the base side, it was always intended that it would progress the same way. You start in the Lifepod, with limited storage, and the inability to build inside of it. Then the intention was, you get a builder tool and can build the small corridor base sections, which allow you to relocate under the water, and to start building interior modules. You can build the fabricator, storage lockers, and a few other items inside those corridors, but the space is still cramped and limited. THEN, finally, you get the blueprints to create a generic room, which is much more spacious and allows you the ability to build many more interior modules, and really begin to flesh out your epic underwater base. Then ideally more of the custom components would come after, such as glass hallways and observatories, etc.

So, right now the progression is broken, with the rooms being available right at the start, encouraging players to start building a big base right away. And they get a room before they even have many blueprints of interior modules to fill it with. We've intended for a long time to remove quite a few items such as generic rooms, and glass hallways, and much more from the list of starting blueprints and have just not had a chance to get around to doing that, but expect a big pass on all that stuff coming up.

that's fine with me... but I would like to request different shaped rooms as well.... feel like I've been grounded and told to go stand in the corner when I got into the mp room as is (when it's empty)..... would be cool to have specific shaped rooms for specific things... like the current one for the reactors and water filtration. then have squared rooms for the aquarium, and other stuff.... maybe even a triangle room for simple stuff. (imagine having a triangle room with windows on 2 sides and the exit on one side, new type of observation room, especially if we can make glass ceiling and floor)
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    edited July 2016
    Scubamatt just brought the Tiny House movement to SN...everything in its place and a place for everything!

I also use storage pits...after I realized the floating storage thing was way too small!
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Dastorn wrote: »
    So I just saw this trello card where they plan to take away multipurpose rooms as a starting blueprint... Isn't this kind of counter-intuitive? I mean that is the only room that has sufficient space to place anything in.

Some of us remember life before the mutli-purpose room. It is possible to have a fully functioning base - with the exception of large tank, bio-reactor and nuclear reactor - without a multi-purpose room. It's possible and it needn't even feel crowded. A T junction attached to a corridor can effectively be a little room.

Why remove multipurpose rooms as a starting blueprint? The answer is progression. Without experience points, levels etc. progression is achieved through blueprint and material accessibility.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Halios wrote: »
    Dastorn wrote: »
    So I just saw this trello card where they plan to take away multipurpose rooms as a starting blueprint... Isn't this kind of counter-intuitive? I mean that is the only room that has sufficient space to place anything in.

Some of us remember life before the mutli-purpose room. It is possible to have a fully functioning base - with the exception of large tank, bio-reactor and nuclear reactor - without a multi-purpose room. It's possible and it needn't even feel crowded. A T junction attached to a corridor can effectively be a little room.

Why remove multipurpose rooms as a starting blueprint? The answer is progression. Without experience points, levels etc. progression is achieved through blueprint and material accessibility.

Agreed. Of course, i would relocate the Bioreactor fragments somewhere farther than the creepvine kelp zone tho, its easy to get this early on but without the MP room to place it in, any new player would only be confused as to how to use this reactor and possibly end up not even using it after finding the MP room just because they'll forget about it from getting it so long ago ..... dunno, just a thought
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    @Rainstorm

Yeah I reckon there'll be more fragment juggling between now and release to get this kind of thing in order. Though personally I've only ever built one bio-reactor - just for the sake of having done it - and will probably skip them anyway. Since one of the core dimensions of progression in survival games is minimizing micro-management, solar and thermal are clearly superior for being build and forget.

And I presently only use large tanks for decorative purposes. Build two (or three) multi-purpose rooms on top of each other and use the top floor as the main floor of my base. This gives me glass floors looking down into the tanks.
    edited July 2016
    Other than the start up, I've never had to micro manage the Bioreactor, but then I don't have a huge demand for power in my bases, since the Seamoth is solar charged and there's no need to run the water filtration machine anymore. I always have 2-4 solar panels on a base for common tasks, and the BR is just the for the serious energy needs like mass producing something. You can put four marblemelons in it and have power for days. Reggies are even better, since you can put 16 of them in the BR @ 220 energy each. :) BR is also pretty much mandatory for deep water bases (below 220m) where sunlight doesn't charge the panels.
    I'm curious now. What base component blueprints will we be starting out with? I'd like to adjust my gameplay based on that info.
    I'm curious now. What base component blueprints will we be starting out with? I'd like to adjust my gameplay based on that info.

Well, they haven't made an official list yet, but they did say
    On the base side, it was always intended that it would progress the same way. You start in the Lifepod, with limited storage, and the inability to build inside of it. Then the intention was, you get a builder tool and can build the small corridor base sections, which allow you to relocate under the water, and to start building interior modules. You can build the fabricator, storage lockers, and a few other items inside those corridors, but the space is still cramped and limited. THEN, finally, you get the blueprints to create a generic room, which is much more spacious and allows you the ability to build many more interior modules, and really begin to flesh out your epic underwater base. Then ideally more of the custom components would come after, such as glass hallways and observatories, etc.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer

Here you go https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RdyTRKSg9BxyxxAVt-I5kXQ9fxVdsfM66aAq8z4X4q4/edit?usp=sharing . It's an outdated document and a lot of recent tech is missing from it, but it's about as good as it gets. Nothing is cast in stone. It's just our reference document for tech progression discussions.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited July 2016
    I'm still curious where you'll get the Multipurpose Room blueprint. If it's as easy as scanning it off the Abandoned Seabase on the Floater Island, then it's little different than starting with the blueprint already, since visiting the island is the first thing I do after getting the Builder anyway. Since there's so many goodies stocked up there for scanning, it makes their wreck-placed pieces pointless. I could go to the various dangerously-guarded wrecks for things like the growbeds, living walls, and spotlights, or I could go to the completely safe and full of food Island.

Of course, newcomers to the game wouldn't know about the island rightaway, but most of us do. There's not much of a progression gap between moving out of the Lifepod and slowly easing into a MP room there, though in my current game I've been holding off on building one until I visit the mushroom cave :)
    edited July 2016
    On a whim today, I built a micro base using a Cross and 3x Tee pieces, plus a Hatch. I was able to put forty (40) Wall lockers into it, plus all of the usual stuff critical to a base (manufacturing, food/water supply, a bench, battery/powercell rechargers, first aid, commo relay). I'm guessing I'll be fine without an MP Room, until I want a Bioreactor and an Alien Containment.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Rezca wrote: »
    Of course, newcomers to the game wouldn't know about the island rightaway, but most of us do. There's not much of a progression gap between moving out of the Lifepod and slowly easing into a MP room there, though in my current game I've been holding off on building one until I visit the mushroom cave :)
    Newcomers is who we are mostly adjusting the progression stuff for. There's not much we can do about the players who have been playing the game for many hours already and start out a new game knowing exactly what to do and where to go, and do something like head straight for the floating island.

• eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited July 2016
    [quote=
    There's not much we can do about the players who have been playing the game for many hours already and start out a new game knowing exactly what to do and where to go, and do something like head straight for the floating island.

all the more reason to make the Floating island "float" or make it a random location every new start.

"float" I should have put drift. sorry
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    [quote=
    There's not much we can do about the players who have been playing the game for many hours already and start out a new game knowing exactly what to do and where to go, and do something like head straight for the floating island.

all the more reason to make the Floating island "float" or make it a random location every new start.

That is a fantastic idea! :smiley:
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    [quote=

I like that idea. Imagine if the floating island spawned over the dunes. That would make it more precarious to visit it since you'll have a reaper nipping at your heels.
  • FoxtrotFFoxtrotF ALA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216626Members
    Instead of Blueprint Fragments. it is possible to unlock some of the base blueprints by gathering some amount of Lithium for example.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited July 2016
    The floater island can be influenced by the moons, being pulled around in its orbit path.

I would love just a random Start Floater island. Or
    Maybe a dozen or so dev determined coordinate location that are then used to pick the location at the start of a new game.

For me I see a re-playability problem for the people that supported the game, once you play it for a few hours you are no longer a noob. Adding a element of randomness would be a good thing. Like the random start location of the life pod, that I love.
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    After reading this thread...

1 cross section plus 4 straight corridors 2 at each end. 8 solar panels 2 per each arm of the cross section. 1 hatch in each of the outer arms of the corridors (top mounted). 3 wall lockers per 1st corridor section. Fabricator in short arm of the cross section. First aid in other short arm. Mod station (removable once Seamoth pressure compensator made) in far end of corridor section. No commo rig yet.

Much neater, and less resource intensive than a "big" base. With the exception of a big room for bio reactor, and another for grow beds... I cannot see a reason now for lots of big rooms in the future.

Also much easier to work with terrain, and be less environmentally intrusive.

Only thing that I would really like to see is something more substantial than the little vertical tubes for building vertically(yes I know that I corridors can be stacked don't care for it).
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer

"float" I should have put drift. sorry
    That is not feasible. Voxel terrain can not move around the world dynamically, and even though the island seems separate it is still baked into the world. Not to mention it needs a very specific amount of space below for the pillars not to clip with terrain, and if it randomly spawned there are a bunch of places in the world where it would not fit properly.

Add to the fact that we want it kept at a far enough distance away from the player start to make it not able to be found easily early game, and it can't go where the Aurora is or where the other island is, it quickly limits the amount of places it could randomly spawn in, anyway. So it would be a lot of work for very little gain.

So, yes, I agree a floating island that can actually float (or even sink :) ) sounds very cool, it can't happen. Sorry.