Limit / End of the map? (on every edge)

2»

Comments

• WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    *nudge *nudge *wink *wink *cough *cough ;)
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    LumpN wrote: »
    Behold! This is what I'm lobbying for in our team. The border abyss.
    X1MDDWA.png

As you can see the idea already gained some traction. Also as you can see I am a wizard when it comes to MS Paint. Coder art is best. I'm humble too.

Someone suggested doing procedural generated terrain outside the world boundaries. That's a pretty neat idea too and I would certainly love to do that. However it feels a bit wasteful to spend time programming something that is not supposed to be in the scope of the game in the first place. If we are very successful we might add it as a bonus. Infinite content to explore for you.

It would be really nice if the drop off was more gradual - so you don't get 90 degree cliffs but it still exceeds your dive limit. It wouldn't have to be detailed either (could be less detailed than the dunes biome).... kind of a deep water biome with a muddy bottom or something.

The 90 degree cliffs are just a little too perfectly straight.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Here, a third option:
    z0pgafqyhruq.png

Although a proceedural generation biome would be pretty awesome in Subnautica 2.0 (even if it couldn't hold a candle to the hand craft terrain in the main playing area!)
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Hmm... on the bright side we won't be seeing ice walls kilometers high blocking our way... I don't think they'd fit on the world anyway...
  • ChJeesChJees Sverige Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219412Members
    Why not have "invisible walls" where your suit AI urges you to stay within evacuation of the Aurora? Could even make the player character when voiced make a quip that they can't just leave their only possible way of getting off the planet.
    My take on it anyway.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Id like a huge abyss with an eventual procedurally generated bottom.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    ChJees wrote: »
    Why not have "invisible walls" where your suit AI urges you to stay within evacuation of the Aurora? Could even make the player character when voiced make a quip that they can't just leave their only possible way of getting off the planet.
    My take on it anyway.

CDProjekt did something like that in their Witcher 3. When you get to the edge of the map, Geralt says: "better check my map" and you get a humorous, written notification that "you have reached the end of the world". It is a good idea, but it does feel a bit forced, and certainly breaks immersion for the more demanding players.

Personally, I think procedurally generated terrain would be an ideal solution, even if it looked somewhat bare compared to the beautifully detailed gameplay area. Add just one, randomly spawned unique item to find somewhere there, and you will have players happily spending hours to locate and find it once they are done with their main objectives...
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    I believe I remember a trello card where they said they were going to spawn big nasty monsters to establish the boundaries. Dunno if this is still the plan... be funny if you went too far and found words underwater that spelled out "you have been eaten by a grue"
  • NecroNecro <insert non-birthday-related title here> Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
    welcome to NOPEtown. population. nope.
  • jarednsjaredns Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219630Members
    why not use the lost river skull creature? easily big enough to eat the cyclops. have it make a crazy loud roar that gets louder as it gets closer, either have it as a one hit kill or make it do serious damage but spread out enough so you could get turned back around and get out of there. not to mention weve already seen the creature dead and it still terrified most of us.
  • Caedus89Caedus89 Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227660Members
    Giant Squid like monster just saying
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Caedus89 wrote: »

229620-20forum20late20necromancy20post20thread.jpg~original
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Wait a minute, there was a time when the edge of subnautica was literally just surrounded with giant cliffs going towards the sky?
  • SpongedogSpongedog Texas, United States Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226461Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

This isn't the first time either. This threads been resurrected at least 3 times now.
  • reddirtgamerreddirtgamer Join Date: 2017-10-03 Member: 233375Members
    edited October 2017
    LumpN wrote: »
    Behold! This is what I'm lobbying for in our team. The border abyss.
    X1MDDWA.png

As you can see the idea already gained some traction. Also as you can see I am a wizard when it comes to MS Paint. Coder art is best. I'm humble too.

Someone suggested doing procedural generated terrain outside the world boundaries. That's a pretty neat idea too and I would certainly love to do that. However it feels a bit wasteful to spend time programming something that is not supposed to be in the scope of the game in the first place. If we are very successful we might add it as a bonus. Infinite content to explore for you.

I kinda like this idea...
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited October 2017

Thread_Necromancy_3038.jpg

I've always wanted to do this.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Spongedog wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

This isn't the first time either. This threads been resurrected at least 3 times now.

Make that four.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I'm happy it was resurrected so I could see @kingkuma's cool pic. :)

I didn't make this one, sorry!