It should be EXOTIC or NEGATIVE matter, not DARK matter

Comments

• GunslingerN7GunslingerN7 United States Join Date: 2015-10-19 Member: 208603Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    See, THAT is exactly the kind of thinking that annoys the hell out of me. What so few people seem to understand is that technology cannot change the laws of physics.

And even if there were some magic technology, what this game an so many scifis do is totally distort real, well understood science.

For instance, in Star Trek TNG, in one episode, they were removing "baryons" from their ship. For those that do not know, "baryons" is the collective name for the particles that make up all conventional matter. Removing them from your ship is perhaps not the best idea?

Then, in an episode of Voyager, they escaped a black hole through "a crack in the event horizon". How it is that they think there can be a crack in a place, I do not know.

This game has many of the same issues. For instance, there is the seamoth solar charger. Even assuming that it is able to convert 100% of the light that strikes it into electricity, (impossible) and even assuming that 100% of the electricity is turned into forward motion (also impossible), the solar charger could NEVER collect enough energy with the seamoths surface area to function continually, unless there was enough light on it to fry a human in minutes. These are know scientific facts, that have been repeatedly tested and proven beyond any reasonable doubt.

It is a Game it is meant to entertain you. The game is Science Fiction. If you cant play the game with out getting upset at some of the wording in the game or that the game isn't "Realistic " I have yet to play a realistic game and I've been gaming for over 30 years. If all that bothers you? You might need to find a new hobby.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    It is a Game it is meant to entertain you. The game is Science Fiction
    For some peculiar reason they are not calling cats "dogs" in any game, Science Fiction or not.

Yes, when somebody is calling cat a "dog", it bothers me.
    So here I am, asking to call the animal properly.

What I didn't expected however is that somebody would insist calling cat a dog, because reasons.

SKUnpp3.jpg
    This creature will always be called a cat or gato, no matter what technological achievements we will reach and what laws of physics we will discover.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    You know, there have been a lot of discoveries that have caused us to reevaluate what we consider to be the laws of physics, or create new ones. For instance, Newton's laws caused a lot of rethinking to be done about physics
    We didn't call general relativity the Newton's law of universal gravitation. We call it relativity.
    We didn't call field an ether. We call it a field.
    If some new Law/Phenomena will be discovered we will give it a new name, not call it by the name of something existing.
    I can assure you that, if the devs took your suggestion and renamed dark matter to exotic matter, most people would associate it with paradise birds and tasty fruits, not with something straight out of Einstein's notebook
    Seriously? Isn't it taught in high school?

Okay then:
    It should be NEGATIVE matter, not DARK matter.

There's realistic sci-fi like Interstellar and fantasy sci-fi like star trek
    In many cases Star Trek is more realistic than Interstellar btw =)
    As for star wars, its just a fantasy like Lord of The Rings.

Subnautica on the other hand is in the sci-fi realm, not fantasy.

Missing one of my main points. If we create a warp drive that runs on dark matter, it would be called a dark matter drive. Just like an engine that utilizes steam is called a steam engine.
    edited July 2016
    Missing one of my main points. If we create a warp drive that runs on dark matter, it would be called a dark matter drive
    We won't create an engine that utilizes dark matter.
    "Dark matter" is a name of some phenomena that we don't understand, but suspect that it exists based on our observations. Dark matter may not exist at all, and what we call dark matter may be just an evidence of relativity being wrong.

When/if we will detect dark matter we will give it another name, because it won't be unknown any longer (although we may continue calling it WIMP - weakly interacting massive particles - if it is indeed a particle).
    Missing one of my main points. If we create a warp drive that runs on dark matter, it would be called a dark matter drive
    "Dark matter" is a name of some phenomena that we don't understand, but suspect that it exists based on our observations. Dark matter may not exist at all, and what we call dark matter may be just an evidence of relativity being wrong.

When/if we will detect dark matter we will give it another name, because it won't be unknown any longer (although we may continue calling it WIMP - weakly interacting massive particles - if it is indeed a particle).

Actually, dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter comprising approximately 27% of the mass and energy in the observable universe that is not accounted for by dark energy, baryonic matter (ordinary matter), and neutrinos. The name refers to the fact that it does not emit or interact with electromagnetic radiation, such as light, and is thus invisible to the entire electromagnetic spectrum, not that we don't understand it.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

Actually, dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter comprising approximately 27% of the mass and energy in the observable universe that is not accounted for by dark energy, baryonic matter (ordinary matter), and neutrinos. The name refers to the fact that it does not emit or interact with electromagnetic radiation, such as light, and is thus invisible to the entire electromagnetic spectrum, not that we don't understand it.

It is possible that dark matter interacts with electromagnetic radiation. Absorbing electromagnetic radiation (extremely powerful electromagnetic collector) or bending electromagnetic radiation around it (cloaking device) are both ways of interacting with electromagnetic radiation, but we are not currently capable of detecting this interaction. Dark Matter will always be Dark Matter even when we fully understand it. We might have different names for the various types of Dark Matter we might find, but they will still be Dark Matter.

Of course, there is the possibility that Dark Matter doesn't exist and what we assume to be Dark Matter is just intergalactic civilizations inside massive cloaking fields. Might actually be the test for us to get intergalactic citizenship. Detect the nearest cloaked intergalactic world using only its gravitational signature.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    edited July 2016
    Subnautica on the other hand is in the sci-fi realm, not fantasy.

Fantasy =/= fantasy sci-fi. Thats not what I said. I think its blatantly obvious subnautica isn't fantasy. I don't see wizards and orcs swimming around, do you?

lol and how is Star Trek more realistic than Interstellar? The sheer amount of technobabble in that series makes me cringe.

• joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    I feel like we have been sucked in to one of those Big Bang Theory episodes where Sheldon and Leonard are arguing about which fake thing is the most real best on theoretical science.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Whatever this "dark matter" is powering the Aurora, we can agree on one thing... The stuff's pretty explosive...
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Holy balls, man, just stop arguing for argument's sake already. No one is going to change in-game terms just to accommodate your pointless, nitpicky demands. If you have such mighty need for proper terminology, go develop your own scientifically accurate game and enjoy losing your money.

Subnautica is a GAME, people want to be entertained here, not educated. You obviously need to find another title to enjoy and another community to bother.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I am surprised by the sheer aggression I see several commenters resort too. Like, this isn't the first time someone brings up a possible change for realism's sake and with the exception of weapons, this kind of resistance as if there's a personal insult in the suggestion is... new.

And so what if it's nitpicky? If details matter to someone, that's no reason to get rude.
    It's rude to try and force your personal preference on others. It's rude to try and force the majority to bend to your wishes. That's what the OP is trying to do by obnoxiously crusading for his idea. I was merely being honest expressing my opinion on his being pointlessly stubborn and dragging the discussion ad infinitum. But, hey, honest people usually are the ones called rude, because patting everyone on their head and saying they are amazing no matter what they do is the norm these days.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    I have a high degree of confidence that, should we ever discover superluminal travel, the engine that powers it will be called a warp drive.
    You know, there have been a lot of discoveries that have caused us to reevaluate what we consider to be the laws of physics, or create new ones. For instance, Newton's laws caused a lot of rethinking to be done about physics
    We didn't call general relativity the Newton's law of universal gravitation. We call it relativity.
    We didn't call field an ether. We call it a field.
    If some new Law/Phenomena will be discovered we will give it a new name, not call it by the name of something existing.

My disagreement comes in terms of funding and the way the government names things. The very first Space Shuttle was named Enterprise by a write-in campaign of Star Trek fans. There was a similar write-in campaign when they recently retired the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) aircraft carrier to name the next Ford-class carrier the Enterprise.

Because it seems probable that a superluminal drive will be funded by a government (if not multiple governments), such governments are typically eager to please the masses. I forsee an overwhelming publicity campaign to name the first FTL drive a Warp Drive, and the first ship carrying it the Enterprise. Because nostalgia and nerds are a force more powerful than a negative space wedgie.

Cheers,

J

Victor32 wrote: »
    Holy balls, man, just stop arguing for argument's sake already. No one is going to change in-game terms just to accommodate your pointless, nitpicky demands. If you have such mighty need for proper terminology, go develop your own scientifically accurate game and enjoy losing your money.

Subnautica is a GAME, people want to be entertained here, not educated. You obviously need to find another title to enjoy and another community to bother.
    I agree completely. It is ridiculous to get this worked up over a term in a video game.

DrownedOut wrote: »
    I am surprised by the sheer aggression I see several commenters resort too. Like, this isn't the first time someone brings up a possible change for realism's sake and with the exception of weapons, this kind of resistance as if there's a personal insult in the suggestion is... new.

And so what if it's nitpicky? If details matter to someone, that's no reason to get rude.
    It's fascinating to me that people who are rude on a regular basis are always the first to be offended at other peoples rudeness

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited July 2016
    joni65 wrote: »

It's fascinating to me that people who are rude on a regular basis are always the first to be offended at other peoples rudeness.

You got a problem with me? Because I let you off easy last time, but if you're going to haunt me, I have a lecture for you about how little I think of your "kiss up, kick down" program like those are the only two settings you're capable off. It's kind of desperate, you know?

And to you and Victor32, I never said anything about rudeness. I spoke of aggression. Not the same thing. And neither your ad hominem nor Victor32's unfounded use of the word "to force" explains or justifies said aggression.
    joni65 wrote: »

It's fascinating to me that people who are rude on a regular basis are always the first to be offended at other peoples rudeness.

You got a problem with me? Because I let you off easy last time, but if you're going to haunt me, I have a lecture for you about how little I think of your "kiss up, kick down" program like those are the only two settings you're capable off. It's kind of desperate, you know?

And to you and Victor32, I never said anything about rudeness. I spoke of aggression. Not the same thing. And neither your ad hominem nor Victor32's unfounded use of the word "to force" explains or justifies said aggression.
    You never said anything about rudeness? Maybe you should reread your last sentence? Quote "Thats no reason to get rude"

You got a problem with me? [...]
    I let you off easy last time[...]
    Who's the aggressive one here, I wonder...

Also:
    If details matter to someone, that's no reason to get rude.

That concludes my discussion with you, Drowned Out. I expressed my opinion on the topic of this thread and the OP's behavior, just like many others have done, I have nothing else to add. If you disagree with what I wrote - it's your right, but hardly my problem.

Have a nice day.
    Can there never be a civil discussion about this game?
    edited July 2016
    That's a common tactic of the internet trolls: badmouth somebody to provoke an aggressive answer and de-rail the discussion. Just ignore them. Troll species feed on attention.
    Its just a hypothesis. Unproven.
    And anyway - dark matter has nothing to do with warp bubble.
    For example, one hypothesis is that dark matter could be "microscopic" (with the mass about the same as Earth) primordial (created shortly after Big Bang) black holes. Can't put one into a ship huh?
    I don't see wizards and orcs swimming around, do you?

lol and how is Star Trek more realistic than Interstellar? The sheer amount of technobabble in that series makes me cringe.
    Exactly. That is my point. As long as Subnautica want to be sci-fi, it should use proper terminology.

Star Trek - speaking only of TNG here - was usually vague when describing devices mentioned there. That's why it is hard to catch them on some mistakes. Of course they had their share of facepalm moments.
    Interstellar... take for example Miller Planet. It was on the edge of event horizon. Deep deep deep down the black hole gravity well. Yet Endurance has managed to get to and from the planet orbit. That requires ENORMOUS amount of energy, this is the feat on the level of Enterprise-D. And lets not even mention Gravity) These are good and spectacular movies, but you have to not think too much into them to enjoy them.
    My disagreement comes in terms of funding and the way the government names things
    Government doesn't name any science related stuff. Scientists do. Space Shuttle was a vehicle, not some discovery.
    I have a high degree of confidence that, should we ever discover superluminal travel, the engine that powers it will be called a warp drive.
    Yes, probably, we will call Alcuberrie warp drive a warp drive=) - if it will work close to his ideas.
    Also probably if we manage to create a traversable wormhole generator we will call it a Stargate.
    And if we find out that we can open a wormhole into another Universe, and then come back from it into another point of our Universe and it will make sense to do so we will call it a Hyperspace)

However, all of the mentioned sci-fy ways of travel require negative/exotic matter to exist, and has nothing to do with dark matter.
    Who could have imagine that my suggestion to fix a small mistake would spur a huge discussion?
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    edited July 2016
    I kinda doubt the devs are going to make that change just to suit your scientific sensibilities.

I totally agree that the best way to deal with shrill, hypersensitive internet trolls, particularly those on a holy crusade, is to totally not give a crap about them. Although I did get a chuckle when she stated she let Joni off easy. That's some funny stuff right there...

So here is me, having a beer, not giving a crap about the forum's resident troll. Cheers!

edited July 2016
    yomama wrote: »
    I kinda doubt the devs are going to make that change just to suit your scientific sensibilities.

I totally agree that the best way to deal with shrill, hypersensitive internet trolls, particularly those on a holy crusade, is to totally not give a crap about them. Although I did get a chuckle when she stated she let Joni off easy. That's some funny stuff right there...

So here is me, having a beer, not giving a crap about the forum's resident troll. Cheers!
    yeah, I got a chuckle about being let off easy too. So scary....

Also, um ... You can't just announce beer without sharing! That's just rude! ( haha )

Yes, probably, we will call Alcuberrie warp drive a warp drive=) - if it will work close to his ideas.
    Also probably if we manage to create a traversable wormhole generator we will call it a Stargate.
    And if we find out that we can open a wormhole into another Universe, and then come back from it into another point of our Universe and it will make sense to do so we will call it a Hyperspace)

However, all of the mentioned sci-fy ways of travel require negative/exotic matter to exist, and has nothing to do with dark matter.
    Who could have imagine that my suggestion to fix a small mistake would spur a huge discussion?

My main point in all of this has been that a warp drive utilizing dark matter would most likely be called a dark matter drive, and that it cannot be said to be impossible, because nobody knows the kind of technology they have by the time the events of this game happen. I mean, we may not have anything like that yet, but then again, we don't have a holographic structure creator.

Come out to Picnicon in Boston next weekend and I'll buy a round.
    Also see dog's point. The stuff we have now would have gotten you burned for witchcraft a few centuries ago, so as has been said...who can imagine what the future holds?
    Also see dog's point. The stuff we have now would have gotten you burned for witchcraft a few centuries ago, so as has been said...who can imagine what the future holds?
    Agreed, there was also a time when it was a scientific fact that the earth was flat, and it was the center of the universe. Ooooops. I guess scientific certainty is only certain until it is proven to be flat out wrong.

I was about to say "we're not that bad anymore" then I remembered those flat earth people...the anti-vaxxers...not to mention the climate change debate...and the guy who was running for president who thinks the pyramids were used to store grain...

Yep. We're still a bunch of troglodytes, collectively. Yaasy us!
    I was about to say "we're not that bad anymore" then I remembered those flat earth people...the anti-vaxxers...not to mention the climate change debate...and the guy who was running for president who thinks the pyramids were used to store grain...

Yep. We're still a bunch of troglodytes, collectively. Yaasy us!
    yeah... Everyone knows the pyramids are ancient alien landing pads ;)

I know, right? Grain...pffft...they're beacons for Da MuthaShip, y'all!

Which is what I named my cyclops...
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Exotic matter is the matter with negative mass (and is purely theoretical now).

According to wikipedia (I'm no physics expert) hypothetical particles with negative mass might be one kind of exotic matter.
    Dark matter is something we don't understand that appear to exist.

According to wikipedia dark matter is just as hypothetical as exotic matter.
    Warp drive require EXOTIC (NEGATIVE) matter to operate, not DARK one=)

Asserting that such drives require a particular material to operate isn't nitpicking. It's just wrong. Because warp drives aren't known to exist outside the realm of fiction.
    edited July 2016
    So back to the topic...would it be nice if there were more accurate hard science in games? Sure. The true beauty of the internet is that EVERYONE gets to play expert about whatever, which is just dandy. In closing, I have only one thing to add...

t59ohnd9vzs7.png