Anybody fancy a reskin of the reaper leviathan?

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
Found this thing on deviantart, and I find it really cute. What do you think, should it replace the currant reaper skin?
subnautica____do_fear_the_reaper_by_dertodesbote-da2kyso.jpg

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    That could be some sort of deep-sea Reaper that lives in the lightless depths. I can imagine seeing that living underneath the underwater islands.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    That one is actually way more terrifying than the original .... imagine falling on that in a complete dark sea! :fearful:
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Are those eyes or holes?
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Are those eyes or holes?

Eyes. It's how the original Reaper Leviathan model looked.

<div class="sketchfab-embed-wrapper"><iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://sketchfab.com/models/720ab6cd362b46a4b2d200bba0642857/embed&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
    <a href="https://sketchfab.com/models/720ab6cd362b46a4b2d200bba0642857?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Shark Creauture 04 highpoly</a>
    by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/fox3d?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Fox3D</a>
    on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
    </p>
    </div>
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    That... is... ADORABLE!
    I would love to see this as a re-skin, but not to replace the current Reapers, but to be added to a deep and dark area, such as at the bottom of the Under Water Islands' trench (like @TenebrousNova said). This would make players want to stay near the Floating Islands and to stay away from the bottom pit :)
    It'd be awesome if the Devs add this :wink:
  • BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    I'm not so fond of re-skin. Each time i see a re-skin i'm like : "dah it's just a purple peeper. " or " i have already seen this. " instead of " wow a new creature ! ".

And i'm often disappointed because the re-skin is uglier than the original skin so i can't stop myself thinking : " they just should have put the original one".

po1I6SG3j

pmKBKkZ4j

I understand it is a way to fill biomes with life but still it disappoints me. Am I the only one ?
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Found this thing on deviantart, and I find it really cute. What do you think, should it replace the currant reaper skin?

well hello... NOPE.
  • NorulvNorulv Norway Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218528Members
    edited July 2016
    Hmm, for a variation/ sub species etc. They could go for one thats lives a layer deeper but looks different, though the overall shape are close enough so you know its a Reaper variant.

The Reaper Leviathan we have now

White primary color
    Red secondary color
    Greyish to black eye color
    Four seperate grippers, each one have a pointy end/talon.

"Abyss" Leviathan

Black/ Dark purple primary color
    Blue secondary color
    Yellowish to white eye color
    Two bigger grippers with two talons each.

Now depending on the depth, the variant could have some glowing parts. If its how it works. In my experience, the deeper you go the more flora and fauna have adopted bioluminescence.
    Maybe bioluminiscent eyes on the deepest?
    Just an idea.

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    All I wanted to do is share this pic that I randomly found. The thread title is sort of ironic, I wasn't being serious.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Reskinnibg is a necessary evil due to budget and time constraints. We would all love 100% distinct creatures, but that's just not feasible. Even the reaper variant with alteration of the talons would require new animation which ties up both art and coding personnel resources.

Having said that, I really like the variant idea.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Bale wrote: »
    I'm not so fond of re-skin. Each time i see a re-skin i'm like : "dah it's just a purple peeper. " or " i have already seen this. " instead of " wow a new creature ! ".

And i'm often disappointed because the re-skin is uglier than the original skin so i can't stop myself thinking : " they just should have put the original one".

po1I6SG3j

pmKBKkZ4j

I understand it is a way to fill biomes with life but still it disappoints me. Am I the only one ?

I believe the Oculus is supposed to be a deeper water/cave dwelling subspecies of the Peeper, giving it different physical features.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Bale wrote: »

po1I6SG3j

pmKBKkZ4j

Well, it's somewhat true to life. There are different types of clownfish that live in different areas of the world...
    Okay, I know I always come back to dolphins when I talk about this stuff, but I have to again. Different dolphins have adapted to different areas of the world. We still call them all Dolphins, but we call the specific adaptation of the dolphin something different. Take Beluga Whales; they life in the arctic and have white skin, and have adapted to cold waters. Atlantic Spotted Dolphins, however, are more akin to warmer waters. They're still both dolphins, just adapted to two different climates. It's the same with the Peeper (although i think we should have a species name, like the two dolphins I just described both fall under "Dolphin"), and now the boomerang too, since we have lava zone variations. They've just adapted to different environments, and I like that.

Don't see them as reskins, see it as something that could link to real life. Don't see it as just a game, see it as another world :)
  • KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    They also should make a "kawai reaper" like me. :>
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Kisu wrote: »

A welcome development to Subnautica, I'll bet ;)
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    just think if you gotten used to reaper attacks, get fully immersed into world ...hear scream and that thing is there with grin on its face saying hello instead of usual one:D (well, if you didn't have phobia level yet to reapers ...this may as well give new one)
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Kisu wrote: »

A cute Reaper Leviathan?!? That'd be something. Next thing we know, we get a "cutely chibified" Reaper Leviathan leading its Cute Fish army against the malevolent forces the the evil Peeper Emporer...
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members

I like the teeth in this picture better than what the actual in-game leviathans teeth look like. Overall I think I like the current model the best.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members