Seabase Batteries

TassyrTassyr Join Date: 2015-12-19 Member: 210090Members
Something I've run into a lot is I'll generate far more power than I need, and then run out early later. Be it with the nuclear reactor- where I don't want to waste anything, or solar, where the inherent storage is tiny- I'll generate power that just overflows and is gone.

So why not add a battery? Make it like the reinforcement panels for the walls when it comes to placement- you can slap them on an open panel, and they add a flat amount of power storage to a base.
Or perhaps make a panel that uses one of those connection points, and takes power cells. It would let you remove a power cell and place it in a base that has no power to give it a temporary boost, say, to keep yourself from asphyxiating.

Just a thought.

Comments

• TristaviusTristavius UAE Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219169Members
    I can't quote source, but I have this memory of seeing something about a power capacitor. Either way it's a good idea to boost the capacity.

Your post also triggered another idea though - a power plant that runs off Power Cells rather than charges them. This would be useful for deep remote bases where solar is not an option, nuclear is overkill, thermal isn't possible and bio matter is complicated. This would be a great power source for those little used bases as you can even steal the cell from your sub if need be when you arrive. Would have to be extremely balanced - probably as little as 1 full cell = 100 energy or even half that, just enough to get the lights and oxygen on and maybe use a fabricator a couple of times.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited June 2016
    Tristavius wrote: »
    I can't quote source, but I have this memory of seeing something about a power capacitor. Either way it's a good idea to boost the capacity.

Your post also triggered another idea though - a power plant that runs off Power Cells rather than charges them. This would be useful for deep remote bases where solar is not an option, nuclear is overkill, thermal isn't possible and bio matter is complicated. This would be a great power source for those little used bases as you can even steal the cell from your sub if need be when you arrive. Would have to be extremely balanced - probably as little as 1 full cell = 100 energy or even half that, just enough to get the lights and oxygen on and maybe use a fabricator a couple of times.

That used to be how you powered a base. You'd build a power generator, which looks very similar to the one in the cyclops, and power it with power cells.
    subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Removed_Content
    File:Power_Generator_10.jpg

• ChJeesChJees Sverige Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219412Members
    Repurposing a Cyclops Generator might be good for bases you are not often to. Maybe the devs will add it as a power generation alternative in the future again.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I'd love to have a way to increase the Energy Capacity of a station that does not involve spamming Solar Panels. Ideally something you stick to a wall so you can put it into your generator room. Combine it with a Powercell Recharger and you'll have a way to add Energy and Capacity to a station without an energy source or further increase the Capacity by the 200 of the Powercell.
  • ColMorganColMorgan Germany Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218544Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Combine it with a Powercell Recharger....

or just add a switch to the existing recharger. "Capacitor Mode <-> Recharger Mode"

• ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    The spot is wasting energy when the base is fully charged or you are not in it exploring smth elsewhere. Suggestion: turn off production of energy in this situation. Explanation is very simple: mainframe of the base use smart energy plan, stopping decomposition in bioreactor or manipulate uranium kernel in atomic reactor. Not wise to such wasting of energy when you build your underwater house with futuristic "construction beams" and fully addicted to electricity.
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    Oh yea... idea of switch on the charger is great. On later stages of the game I possess simply unnumbered amount of battaries (and in that case read "powercells"). So if my fabricator not powered by nuclear reactor, that may be solar panels and nighttime, I cant produce smth important. Switch allow me to build even at night in cost of battary/powercell capacity. Thats fair and realistic. And atmospheric)
  • CaptainRedbeardCaptainRedbeard Colorado Join Date: 2016-07-29 Member: 220779Members
    edited July 2016
    ColMorgan wrote: »
    Fathom wrote: »
    Combine it with a Powercell Recharger....

or just add a switch to the existing recharger. "Capacitor Mode <-> Recharger Mode"

Perfect idea! Then you could, for example, charge powercells with solar during the day then flip the switch to use that power through the night. Plus you could use more powercells to easily increase your capacity.