Multipurpose rooms are no longer going to be a starting blueprint...

DastornDastorn United States Join Date: 2016-06-22 Member: 218909Members
So I just saw this trello card where they plan to take away multipurpose rooms as a starting blueprint... Isn't this kind of counter-intuitive? I mean that is the only room that has sufficient space to place anything in.

Why not make the corridors, the alien containment into fragments or something?

Comments

• CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Already in my Epic Trello Thread, friend.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    @Coranth Not everyone checks that, I don't. So please don't say "I already posted this" if it's on your "Epic Trello Thread"
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    @Coranth Not everyone checks that, I don't. So please don't say "I already posted this" if it's on your "Epic Trello Thread"

But but .... its a thread about Trello stuff

and

Its Epicly wide, with stuff 'n infos

and

the info OP posted was in there before this, so i see nothing inaccurate from Coranth here.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    @Rainstorm it feels really unnecessary to say "I already posted this" on someone else's post. To me, personally, I think it is rude.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Wording is important when tone of voice is not possible to convey intent. Im sure coranth meant no ill will. He is just very proud of his trello thread. High strung too.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I think it is ok to take the large room from the starting blueprints. One can start his first base with a piece of corridor, too. While they're at it, the Alien Containment (nice XCOM EU pun btw...) and the glass corridor pieces might also be candidates to leave the starting equipment.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Unless they make the Fabricator able to be built in those other base components, its going to be a major problem. As it is now, most of those other base components do not allow you to build a Fabricator.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    While they're at it, the Alien Containment (nice XCOM EU pun btw...) and the glass corridor pieces might also be candidates to leave the starting equipment.

Noooo... no more fishies until later in the game! :'( Guess I'll be chompin' fruit for a while...

• Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    Unless they make the Fabricator able to be built in those other base components, its going to be a major problem. As it is now, most of those other base components do not allow you to build a Fabricator.

You already CAN put a fabricator in the corridors..

It kind of makes sense to me to have the multipurpose room as a findable blueprint, and its not like its hard to find one to scan. Next maybe by doing this they are secretly going to be adding In new types of habitat rooms, or just new expanding apon what we can do with the existing MPR I.e the ability to build corridors off of each side (diagonal)

Who knows, but personally I love the idea of This. Its only going to add to gameplay!
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    I don't see this as a problem. Did any of you play the game before they added the multi-purpose rooms? I remember when the corridors were all you had to build bases with and I got by just fine.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Is the lifepod drifting off still a thing? Because that's the one thing having me a tad worried right now if I can't "immediately" get myself a bay to lock it in place.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited June 2016
    I decided to embrace the idea, since it fits well with my minimalist base style (packing as much useful stuff in as small a place as I can).

This is a fully functional base, built out of one "T" corridor section and a Hatch. It contains all the essentials: Fabricator, Modification Station, First Aid Dispenser, Communications Relay, 2 Floor Lockers (96 storage), 1 Wall Locker (36 storage), Battery Charger, Power Cell Charger, Bench (to rest and conserve supplies), 4 Solar Cells (200 power storage), 2 Planter Pots (Marblemelons and Hanging Fruit Tree provide plenty of food/water).

I put up a poster and dumped a bag of clothes on the floor by it. When it comes time to enlarge the base (for a Moon Pool, etc) the wall with the poster is the one where you attach the next compartment/corridor.

That's amazing! I love the looks of it too :)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    That base looks nice, but isn't it an absolute nightmare of clipping into objects?
    edited June 2016
    sayerulz wrote: »
    That base looks nice, but isn't it an absolute nightmare of clipping into objects?

No, the only clipping I have seen is from the grasses on the little hill I built it on (which I get sometimes in other locations). You can see the tips of the grass in both pictures that show the planters, right down at the bottom of the wall. If I had taken the time to flatten the terrain like I usually do, there wouldn't be any at all. Inside the shack, nothing except the tree limb tips clips through the hull (which happens in any base, if you build a planter pot near any wall). The animations for the two chargers do not overlap anything else. Nor does the fabricator or modification station. There is still room to put a couple of wall planters in there, but I just wanted the essentials covered.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    sayerulz wrote: »

No, the only clipping I have seen is from the grasses on the little hill I built it on (which I get sometimes in other locations). If I had taken the time to flatten the terrain like I usually do, there wouldn't be any at all. Inside the shack, nothing except the tree limb tips clips through the hull (which happens in any base, if you build a planter pot near any wall). The animations for the two chargers do not overlap anything else. Nor does the fabricator or modification station.

No, what I mean is, doesn't your character model get stuck on all of those objects? I have had trouble navigating much less cramped bases than that.
    edited June 2016
    Oh, I understand what you mean now. No, not at all. When I was first laying it out, I had the floor lockers on one end of the T where the planter/poster is, and got stuck while I was trying to get them lined up perfectly because I fell down behind the planter pot I had nearby. I shuffled things around, but I didn't like the way the tree limbs clipped into the lockers, so I repositioned them by the entrance. You can sit down or stand up on the bench without getting stuck. (I never put anything in the center of the wall behind the bench because I don't want it to clip into my character model, plus its not comfortable looking.) You can access all of the items on the right side of the shack while standing just to the right of center in front of the bench, and everything to the left by moving just to the left of center in front of the bench.

If you build the shack with a Cross section instead of the Tee, you get a roomier feel to it, and a lot more locker space. Unfortunately, its impossible to put the Bench against a wall in a Cross section, and I consider a Bench an essential piece of furniture in every base (because it helps you conserve food/water as time passes).
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited June 2016
    very nice ''base'' ! haha of course, nothing prevents you from laying down 2-3 foundations and add a few corridor parts heh
    its just pretty nice to see you were able to fit all those in one single compartments!

edit: i think ill start to stop using the MP room at the start of my new games from now on as well, in order to familiarize myself to not having those right at the start! same for the glass corridor and all the fancy stuff! We might even end up not having any storage modules than the floating cube at the start, not sure about this one tho
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I love minimalist bases, build a few myself. Actually, I usually start with one, but I do expand later on... Then, sometimes I also like to build maximalist bases when I feel like it...
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    That base actually looks somewhat comfortable to live in. It would also add less of an impact on the environment.
  • RedMallieRedMallie America Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214355Members
    Scubamatt, thank you for the pictures. I think your base looks amazing. You managed to put inside all the really necessary stuff, plus a few deco items. Well done!!

I think I will try building in corridors as well so that, like Rainstorm said, I can become familiar with their capacity and growth possibilities too.

:smiley:
  • DastornDastorn United States Join Date: 2016-06-22 Member: 218909Members

It's okay, I didn't take what he meant as ill-will. :)
    The game is about progression, slowly working up the tech tree to be able to free yourself of all the various constraints you have at the start of the game. Oxygen / depth gating, thirst and hunger mechanics, swimming speed, storage and building space, etc.

Just as an example, on the vehicle tech path you start out with a seaglide, then are able to build the Seamoth which gives you additional depth and added mobility and safety. Then finally the Cyclops, which allows you to go much deeper, can be used as a mobile base.

On the base side, it was always intended that it would progress the same way. You start in the Lifepod, with limited storage, and the inability to build inside of it. Then the intention was, you get a builder tool and can build the small corridor base sections, which allow you to relocate under the water, and to start building interior modules. You can build the fabricator, storage lockers, and a few other items inside those corridors, but the space is still cramped and limited. THEN, finally, you get the blueprints to create a generic room, which is much more spacious and allows you the ability to build many more interior modules, and really begin to flesh out your epic underwater base. Then ideally more of the custom components would come after, such as glass hallways and observatories, etc.

So, right now the progression is broken, with the rooms being available right at the start, encouraging players to start building a big base right away. And they get a room before they even have many blueprints of interior modules to fill it with. We've intended for a long time to remove quite a few items such as generic rooms, and glass hallways, and much more from the list of starting blueprints and have just not had a chance to get around to doing that, but expect a big pass on all that stuff coming up.

I understand progression, I guess I was just worried that since I started playing roughly a month ago all of the wall-mounted appliances are buggy when placed on corridor walls, as there isn't really any way to place them where you want them. They seem to have set snap points, and the snap points are not enough space in my opinion. Plus, I'm worried about breaking down structures. I assume for balance in the future when breaking things down you will lose materials... Most games incorporate something like this, so I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, it's just expected by now. :P
    I decided to embrace the idea, since it fits well with my minimalist base style (packing as much useful stuff in as small a place as I can).
    Yup, really nice. And that is much more realistic to what an underwater base would actually be like.

But this is the future! :P

@scubamatt Does that also create oxygen, though?
    Dastorn wrote: »
    @scubamatt Does that also create oxygen, though?

You mean, like a regular base? Yes, as soon as you add a Solar Panel to it (assuming daylight) it powers up and becomes an air filled structure. I put four panels on mine, for 200 stored energy, since I had the rechargers in place to fill batteries/power cells.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    looks like the blonde haired man in the 2nd pic, is rolling something? B)
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    Yup, really nice. And that is much more realistic to what an underwater base would actually be like.

It is a great example of a starting point... but if I wanted to be limited to "realistic" I would be out in the real world and not playing a video game (where I like to do things I'll never get to do in real life). ;)
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    looks like the blonde haired man in the 2nd pic, is rolling something? B)

They must be babysitting their hydroponics garden.