Coral growbed

mbos14mbos14 Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218539Members
A way to get table coral. without having to swim out because you dont wanne ruin the looks of the local area.

it would be a standing growbed wich would regrow table coral from the fungel sampels. they will stil be decently hard to get but in return the table corral will just keep growing back in the growbed after just planting it once.

this is not something that really needed for resource reasons there is enough to keep you going for a long time. i just dont like having to cut them down since they look nice.

Comments

• DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    I made a post earlier about this topic too. I'm glad to know that there are other people that want this too!
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Also had a post on it some point in the past and absolutely agree with the addition of common coral being able to be grown there.

Even just adding the ability to grow them in the regular exterior growbeds would be fine by me so long as it can be grown. I mean, it sorta makes sense for realism that you can't since coral takes a very long time to grow, but it would still be really nice...
  • Chris01Chris01 95050 Join Date: 2015-11-19 Member: 209347Members
    Would be nice to use the "living wall" model for that but let it work in a "outdoor" mode. Could grow all forms of coral.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    This is one issue that has been discussed several times in the past, to good reasons of course. As with any plant/coral life we should be able to grow them artificially :smiley:

In another thread something like a wall planter, but for corals, was suggested. you could be able to create the wall planter just like the living wall, but in this case it'd be on the outside of a MP room, where you could put coral samples in it that would produce diff kind of usable corals.I think it'd be a great idea personally.

Of course, for that to happen, the table corals we break up with the knife would need to be put back to when we would get 4-5 coral samples per chunk imo otherwise its a 1 for 1 which doesnt do us much good lol
    tumblr_o96n09UYiI1tajts4o1_540.jpg

Here's a quick black and white sketch. I'll color it later.
    tumblr_o96nug9IAt1tajts4o1_540.jpg

Here's the colored version.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Dagon wrote: »
    tumblr_o96nug9IAt1tajts4o1_540.jpg

Here's the colored version.

Looks awesome :D

As for coral being slow growing, I guess the suggested coral bed would have some mechanic for artificially speeding up the growth perhaps? There's always the 'Realism vs Gameplay' thing, where having the convinence of being able to grow your own coral in a few days would win out against the realistic slow-growing nature of it in real life. ^^
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    Didnt ya know Seatreader poop is miracle grow? Lol
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Like the idea...because any time I need some coral material for computer chips or water I think about how long they take on our planet at least and that would hate to destroy a "real" coral. Ok yes if it is my survival or the coral I would of course chose my side. ;)

As for the long growth period you can always pull the high-tech-sci-fi card on that one or the "Alien-Planet"-card. Maybe Subnauticas Corals grow way faster then ours only the Devs know. ;)
  • mbos14mbos14 Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218539Members
    wel looking at how fast al the plants grow on this planet. it wont be weird if this also applied for the coral.
  • DarnizhaanDarnizhaan Earth Join Date: 2016-06-24 Member: 219020Members
    i was swimming around and looked at the coral, its pulsing like a beating heart ..... maybe its more alive/active than our earth bound coral. that would solve the problem for people that complain about "it is not real enough even though its a video game" crowd
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    I hate ruining the looks too. My last few games I go far from my base to collect them, but the outdoor living wall idea rocks