Drifter Jetpacks

SintaxSintax Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10581Members
The biggest problem with marine play imho is the lack of options, and how rifle -> shotgun/jp is the only progression that happens in many cases. Right now it's almost like shotgun+jp is the marine equivalent of fade, but there is no equivalent of a lerk. Anyway, I thought a cheaper version of jetpacks that provide no vertical thrust, but can still reach faster horizontal speeds would perhaps fulfill that role and make marines have to sink less money into mobility.

cheers

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always wanted magnetic wallrunning boots as a cheap alternative in the prototypelab.

Can't be that hard to implement, just repurpose the skulk movement code.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    This is what jetpacks already do when you pulse them, and another cheaper one that has solely this function would be a bad idea. Jetpacks are cheap enough, an even cheaper version would be unfair.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    I always wanted magnetic wallrunning boots as a cheap alternative in the prototypelab.

Horysheet that would be awesome lol!

"MEDS COMM MEDS! Where are you I can't see you! I'm on the ceiling! MEDS!"
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester

There is a mod that can do this.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    ChrisStark wrote: »

There is a mod that can do this.

There used to be one like 3 years ago, but it broke as quickly as it was made. Are you saying there's a new one?

Updated 23rd Dec 2012 : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=114984474&searchtext=wall+walking
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited June 2016
    I agree that marine techtree is a bit boring, but I'd rather see some nifty weapon that fits between LMGs and SGs. A jump-pack seems silly to me.
    Maybe an "experimental" laser rifle, similar to exo railguns but without the chargeup?
    - 15 pres
    - low RoF
    - 70 dmg per shot, no decrease at longer ranges (ignore armour?)
    - 5 shot per magazine
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    Okay it maybe broken now. I only remember about reading something about it.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since we're all listing proto-lab tech ideas.

Squad Leader Backpack - 15 p.res

Allows players *by choice* to respawn next to the wearer.
    Shares the same wind up and cooldown timer as an infantry portal.

Pros: Allows players to spawn in anywhere and circumvent the need for an infantry portal.

Cons: Players won't be able to access any advanced equipment besides fallen equipment since they likely are going to spawn out in the field, there is an audio and visual cue on the backpack antennae that alerts aliens that a marine is going to spawn next to it's wearer unless the wearer is killed.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Sintax wrote: »
    The biggest problem with marine play imho is the lack of options, and how rifle -> shotgun/jp is the only progression that happens in many cases. Right now it's almost like shotgun+jp is the marine equivalent of fade, but there is no equivalent of a lerk. Anyway, I thought a cheaper version of jetpacks that provide no vertical thrust, but can still reach faster horizontal speeds would perhaps fulfill that role and make marines have to sink less money into mobility.

cheers

Hm... catpacks?
  • SintaxSintax Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10581Members
    Catpacks are a good point, maybe giving marines some sort of boost they can buy with their own p-res after getting catpack tech.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    make catpacks an actual backpack that provides perm speed str boost to the marine but has to be bought from the proto lab. Cant buy both jetpack and catpack though
  • TriggerHappyBroTriggerHappyBro Ohio Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217383Members, NS2 Playtester
    With how heavy the MG is and it's long reload time, I'd say MG/PC (perma-catpack) could be just as viable a combo as SG/JP.
  • TriggerHappyBroTriggerHappyBro Ohio Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217383Members, NS2 Playtester
    Kinda, not really.

I was also thinking of it as a sort of slowly recharging use item. You could self-catpack only so often and it would take a while to recharge maybe?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kinda, not really.

I was also thinking of it as a sort of slowly recharging use item. You could self-catpack only so often and it would take a while to recharge maybe?

Stop with the cooldown ideas, cooldowns are shit and belong to Overwatch, not NS2. Let's not repeat the boneshield disaster.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

Pros: Allows players to spawn in anywhere and circumvent the need for an infantry portal.

Cons: Players won't be able to access any advanced equipment besides fallen equipment since they likely are going to spawn out in the field, there is an audio and visual cue on the backpack antennae that alerts aliens that a marine is going to spawn next to it's wearer unless the wearer is killed.

No taht would ruin completely the map balance.

Could you go into further detail? Sure it would change the current game balance but it should work well within the maps we currently have.

Keep in mind the people wearing these packs would be running around late game with no additional mobility options and it would be disabled while inside an exosuit, or if there isn't enough space for a marine to spawn nearby. You'd be sacrificing lifeform chasers and potential survivability for extra marine bodies to throw at a push.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited June 2016

No taht would ruin completely the map balance.

Could you go into further detail? Sure it would change the current game balance but it should work well within the maps we currently have.

Keep in mind the people wearing these packs would be running around late game with no additional mobility options and it would be disabled while inside an exosuit, or if there isn't enough space for a marine to spawn nearby. You'd be sacrificing lifeform chasers and potential survivability for extra marine bodies to throw at a push.

If you let marines spawn on their team mates, say in nanogrid, you remove all travel time but well ..if it's a late game tech eh why not?

Baically, It's very similar to a phase gate except that it can move around and has no need to be built or have power and you cant "meatgrind" it as an alien.

Which means that it's overall more powerful than pg but I like the fact that it depends on all other marines techs for example with nano shield it makes it more durable etc.