The luck thread

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    Grissi wrote: »
    Here is an old one from the beta days:

That was my onos :/

and Swalk dropping about a million medpacks...

ahh the beta gather days on ns2_turtle, so many memories..
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    But that readyroom is so fabulous @Soul_Rider, surely that eased the medspam denial of kill :tongue:
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Since I almost never play gorge and also own the reaper skins, I just sold my shadow gorge steam item.... for almost 12€.

o.O
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Saw a shadow gorge go for $75 in the first days
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Frozen wrote: »
    Saw a shadow gorge go for $75 in the first days

Did someone actually buy it?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited March 2016
    Yea I meant it actually sold for $75 in those first days. All the individual skins in the shadow pack sold for around that $75 entire shadow tier cost. So like $300 or whatever someone got for being first to put theirs on market
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    edited March 2016
    Half truths...only half

They added to the shadow skulk skin so that they could continue to sell the shadow skulk skin at a reasonable price.

The extreamely high goal for reinforcement was the "duh" cue for such occuring.

You can tell me I'm wrong, I'm only speaking my perception of how I saw it go down.

The constellation badges showed up from NS1 shortly after reinforcement badges if not the same time...

The WC badges near those times... a badge for one tourney from one year? that seemed to have been taking place already...
    Frozen wrote: »
    Yea I meant it actually sold for $75 in those first days. All the individual skins in the shadow pack sold for around that $75 entire shadow tier cost. So like $300 or whatever someone got for being first to put theirs on market

Jesus christ.

(I consider my 12€ lucky nonetheless)
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It's an extremely illiquid market. The bid-ask spreads are insane. Keep an eye on them and you might make a sweet profit.
    I don't have proof... but I just parasite killed a marine that was out of rendering distance. (From crusher to cavern)
  • MashpitSquaredMashpitSquared Texas, USA Join Date: 2014-01-13 Member: 193053Members
    edited April 2016
    A couple months ago, against all laws of common sense, I bought a railgun exo.
    Apparently it came with a rabbit's foot, because this happened.

images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/541924111317920983/0D8680B4605FC3EBFC773B01F9BE4720EE779606/

Out of all the kills, the luckiest/most memorable kill was a lerk kill from y junction into cargo hallway. I was moving back up into position from marine start in my railgun exo, with the intent to cut off retreating lifeforms from the fight in system waypointing. However, a lerk did the unexpected thing and flew out towards nanogrid, and then down to y junction, flying directly in front of me. As I didn't expect him, though, I didn't get to fire off a shot. With the gun still charging up, I followed it down y junction, pointing at where I expected it to pop out. Then, two things happened - my railgun reached max charge and fired, and the lerk shot out into my view. Accidental instagib. I had forgotten completely about the railgun charge and I would've probably missed/reacted late if it didn't fire by itself, so that was a hilarious dosage of luck.

pretty pictures
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Anyone got any good sneaking videos? :)

BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Anyone got any good sneaking videos? :)

Nice. Shame you didn't get that skulk :P
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I don't know why, but that one skulk sneaking past me just cracks me up so much. Something about how it's walking...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Killing 20 skulks in a row solo in nano while killing a tunnel in veil felt so much alive like the good old ns1 times.. :)
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Killing 20 skulks in a row solo in nano while killing a tunnel in veil felt so much alive like the good old ns1 times.. :)

A feeling only magnified by the hatred radiating towards you from the alien team.

A feeling only magnified by the hatred radiating towards you from the alien team.

It's the fuel that keeps us all running.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer

It's the fuel that keeps us all running.

And getting almost kicked from thirsty onos... some said my hiveskill 1700 is to low and I'm a smurf .. others said my hiveskill is to high for my few hours...
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Your thread is populated by a small amount of responders, who are replying many times. Take note.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    Sometimes dumb luck is on your side, and sometimes it's really against you.
    Idk which this thread is meant for, but here's some random clips I had stored for a while that are of lucky shots, weird quirks, and funny moments.
    I hope both @NexZone30 and @Samn see this.. :wink:

IronHorse wrote: »
    Sometimes dumb luck is on your side, and sometimes it's really against you.
    Idk which this thread is meant for, but here's some random clips I had stored for a while that are of lucky shots, weird quirks, and funny moments.
    I hope both @NexZone30 and @Samn see this.. :wink:

I must've watched that bit at 2:40 like 10 times, and I still cannot figure out how that skulk got to you. Maybe cloaking doesn't show up that well on film?
    Believe me.. I tried too.. even frame scrubbed it in vlc. I don't see the refracted light effects or any indication.. just the audible footsteps. Might've been a skulk on the ceiling that teleported to the ground?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have more footage of the low latency teleporting players too.. those players make me pull my hair out.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Believe me.. I tried too.. even frame scrubbed it in vlc. I don't see the refracted light effects or any indication.. just the audible footsteps. Might've been a skulk on the ceiling that teleported to the ground?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have more footage of the low latency teleporting players too.. those players make me pull my hair out.

We really need to get a kill cam working for this game... :(

Is there a way to tweak that concede cinematic but base it on per death and only viewable to you only?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is there a way to tweak that concede cinematic but base it on per death and only viewable to you only?

With a "PRESS SPACEBAR TO SKIP" option obviously. :wink:
    edited July 2016
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That has none of the benefits of kill cam. :(

The whole point of kill cam, to me, is that it shows you how somebody killed you, hopefully teaching you how to avoid that in the future. (Or it just deepens your hatred of Genji and Hanzo ;) )
    There is so much value in being able to review the previous engagement from the other player's perspective. Personally, this mitigated a LOT of my frustration in Overwatch.
  • TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members
    I guess this qualifies for the thread. Just as an engagement starts on Docking in the corridor leading to Courtyard from Cafeteria, I recieve a redplug. Hold down M1 and prepare to respawn and go get my shotgun back. Come back 2 seconds later, engaging skulk and lerk are dead. Dat dere blindaim.
    I wanted to post about an amazing game on kodiak I just had, then I realized this is the "Luck thread", not the "Awesome moments thread". Then I realized this thread is over 2 years old. I feel old.

...well I guess the match qualifies because I was lucky to get a team of sub-par players that started out bad to get their shit together and pull of a great strategic win that included arcs. So this isn't entirely an o0ff topic necro. :D

The quality of my posts continues to increase
    I wanted to post about an amazing game on kodiak I just had, then I realized this is the "Luck thread", not the "Awesome moments thread". Then I realized this thread is over 2 years old. I feel old.

...well I guess the match qualifies because I was lucky to get a team of sub-par players that started out bad to get their **** together and pull of a great strategic win that included arcs. So this isn't entirely an o0ff topic necro. :D

The quality of my posts continues to increase

I actually had to go back and check, but yea, over 2 years.