New Weapon Ideas?

Comments

• AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    edited June 2016
    There needs to be a sticky, explaining the lack of ultraviolence in this design decision. Which I personally love! (the low violence that is) But it would cut down on the reposts.
  • TuukuTuuku California, USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217140Members
    I dont think we should have guns, but to say we dont new any new weapons is ridiculous. im sure by now most of us understand the "davs say no gunz"... but weapon does not mean a gun, i honestly dont like guns in survial games, i feel like it ruins the survival part and makes everything too easy and it removes from the survival aspect of the game. Melee weapons that are not purely offensive but can also be used defensively... honestly the best thing would be a spear, its extremely versatile in offense as well as defense, it doubles as a harvesting tool and possibly a shepherding tool if we ever gain the ability to tame any of the wildlife.
  • Pudding01Pudding01 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-03 Member: 216308Members
    Yeah, a spear (and later down the line tech wise) a spear gun (slow reload making it unsutabe for long conflicts beyond an opening shot) would be perfect.

Typing this on my phone so appologies for auto-incorrect BS.
  • TheElfTheElf Deep blue Sea Join Date: 2016-05-07 Member: 216483Members
    I am also in favor of some new simple self defense weapons. A Spear and Spear gun upgrade sound good. Agree, I don't want this to become Call of Subnautica...
  • TijnnultienTijnnultien netherlands Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207447Members
    i think the game should stay peaceful, maybe a torpedo like the statis rifle. really love that weapon
  • ColdSpyderColdSpyder AZ Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217767Members
    The game is going to stay peaceful.
    "Everyone says no guns. Okay! Give me [Not a gun] to kill things with!"
    You totally are missing the point. The game is not about devising ways to kill the creatures on the planet. At all. It's the opposite. Subvert them, survive, study, admire.

They aren't going to add heavily lethal weaponry. Frankly, I'm surprised we even got gasopod torpedos (Which I kinda find nifty in the sense of taking one creature's defensive mechanism and turning it into a tool for our own devices).

Though frankly I think the gasopod tool would be better suited as like a "gas trail" or something intrinsically more defensive. Floating up to creatures minding their own business and pumping them full of gasopod poison is kind of killing the peaceful nature for me *badumtss*
    ColdSpyder wrote: »
    You totally are missing the point. The game is not about devising ways to kill the creatures on the planet. At all. It's the opposite. Subvert them, survive, study, admire.

They aren't going to add heavily lethal weaponry. Frankly, I'm surprised we even got gasopod torpedos (Which I kinda find nifty in the sense of taking one creature's defensive mechanism and turning it into a tool for our own devices).

Though frankly I think the gasopod tool would be better suited as like a "gas trail" or something intrinsically more defensive. Floating up to creatures minding their own business and pumping them full of gasopod poison is kind of killing the peaceful nature for me *badumtss*

We totally get the point, but i think you are missing our point, we aren't looking for a "[Not a gun] to kill things with!" we want something to help drive away the totally badass monsters of the deep that are trying to eat our faces, for example a spear to poke them if they get too close, yes we have the stasis rifle but a simple spear is a bit more practical for early game use.

I'm sure that most people, after getting bit by a sandshark while slashing at it with a knife, realizing that they do much more damage than you do and a slash to bite trade off is going to get you killed, we would tie that tiny knife to the end of a stick/pipe so we can stab the monster in the mouth before they can get another chunk out of us (hopefully) deterring if from wanting another bite.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Tuuku wrote: »
    ColdSpyder wrote: »

We totally get the point, but i think you are missing our point, we aren't looking for a "[Not a gun] to kill things with!" we want something to help drive away the totally badass monsters of the deep that are trying to eat our faces, for example a spear to poke them if they get too close, yes we have the stasis rifle but a simple spear is a bit more practical for early game use.

I'm sure that most people, after getting bit by a sandshark while slashing at it with a knife, realizing that they do much more damage than you do and a slash to bite trade off is going to get you killed, we would tie that tiny knife to the end of a stick/pipe so we can stab the monster in the mouth before they can get another chunk out of us (hopefully) deterring if from wanting another bite.

@Tuuku is a voice of reason. Listen to his wise advice.
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members

Why can't you just use something that scare them away without hurting them instead of SHOVING A SPEAR ON THEIR MOUTH... Just because they want to kill you, it is not for bad, but they must do that in order to survive like we must cook a peeper and eat it... #RevengeIsNotNecessary

• Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    THIS GAME IS MEANT TO BE PASSIVE! Your an idiot to think otherwise. the devs will NOT implement ANY new weapons. You are not supposed to be the judge, jury and exocutioner. get your facts straight and get your **** together.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Why don't you just add the stasis rifle to the modification station and give it a few modules like a scope or something. This could also be an excuse for people to make their own content in the steam workshop for other people to download. The builder is like the name suggests a builder with pre made designs and the fabricator is basically the same.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I totally get the Dev's decision for a more pacifist approach and coming from several other survival games where you can (later down the tech tree) almost always use a kind of very powerful weapon I can understand the other side too demanding better tools for self defense.

But those don't need to be potential deadly like most of the suggestions made so far (spear, speargun etc.). I really like the idea with the electric field that @Nikonthenet mentioned. Those fields are already available today and confuse the electric sense sharks have to sense muscle contractions of their prey. That way they get totally disoriented as soon as they enter the field, which makes them leave asap.

I'd like to see something like this adapted to the small/mid sized predators of Subnautica. That way you could enter a possibly dangerous biome and be mostly save from the predators without harming them. Another way something like this may be realised is by basing it on biological ingredient and make it scent-based. That way you would emit a kind of cloud around you that acts as a repellant to predators. A bit like an Octopus releasing it's ink when in danger or a kind of underwater skunk. ;)

Or what about a dive-suit based on the Ampeel? It keeps you insulated from electricity and can emit a shock-field like that of the Seamoth upgrade only smaler. It would use up batteries as would the above mentioned field gadget of course.

Another approach may be a sound emiting device that drives predators away with a noise that either is slightly painful to them or mimicking a bigger predator. The later could have the downside of attracting said bigger predator to the noise if one is close enough to hear it.

The other thing I noticed is that some players say that they need more then one or two hits on a predator with a survival knife to drive them away. I can only speak for my own game experience here but if I manage to "really" hit them, one hit usually drives them away. The hit detection can be a bit wonky sometimes. If I swim sideways more often then not their bite misses me and I can drive them away without taking damage. That is if I am aware of the predator. If a stalker or sandshark manages to "sneak up" on me he mostly gets his first bite in but not a second or third. So at least for me the knife is not as bad as some mention it to be.

TL/DR: I know wall-o-text if you are to lazy to read it's not my problem. :p
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Well, the exosuit propulsion cannon might be able to move larger creatures and get them away from you.
  • DehpcDehpc Great Britain, Hextable Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217496Members
    I know the devs will not add guns, but they will add guns with stun. Some ideas are here:

Taser (Fires a bolt that will freeze any predator for 10 seconds and reduce speed after that)
    Net gun (Fires a net that can catch small predators and fish)
    Magnetic charge (Shocks and stuns all wildlife around you. Works in the same way as a Seamoth Perimeter Defence)
    Crash Torpedo (Another torpedo for the seamoth. Made with crash powder. Will explode upon impact)
    Electric boomerang (Throw it and anything it hits will be stunned. It will come back when it hits something or if it gets 50m away)
  • A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members
    edited June 2016
    Ok, so I know that the devs had said time and time again that they want you to not be attacking creatures and simply observe them or run away. But I just want to take a quick look at this from a realistic standpoint. You are on a planet FILLED with creatures all around, right next to your home, that will kill you if you get close. And your character has the technology to build a giant titanium tower, a rifle that literally FREEZES TIME ITSELF in a certain radius, and to create a freaking NUCLEAR REACTOR, all within like 20 in-game days. Your telling me that this character, the character your playing as, doesn't have the technology to create a tiny little gun that shoots little lasers instead of using a pointy piece of metal? Or that this man, the main character, is a pacifist to the point where he wouldn't make a little laser gun to defend himself from the several alligator-like creatures that live at his front door?

I'm sorry, I know the reason that nothing like this is added because of real life shootings, and one of the devs wants this to be a step to a future with less guns. I think its great that he is trying to make a better future! Less guns, less violence. The thing is, he even said himself that he doesn't really think in-game violence effects real life. I honestly feel that without any weapon that the character in game obviously has the ability to make, it just breaks the immersion and doesn't make sense.

Now I'm not saying they should add machine guns, rifles, other crazy guns that will turn the game into a shooter. My pitch is that we have a small pistol-like laser gun that does little damage per hit. I feel that if your being chased by a stalker, you should be able to pull out this little laser gun from your back pocket and fire at him until he runs away. I imagine this gun to look like the old model for the terraformer, once again, just shooting a bunch of little lasers. I can't imagine this turning the game into some sort of shooter, I just feel its more fitting for the scenario your in. You have all this technology as your surviving on an ocean planet filled with deadly creatures. You are generally a pacifistic character but will use a little laser pistol to defend yourself if your surrounded by stalkers. I still definitely think they should add some more passive weapons as well, but something like this seems like a must-have for the scenario your character is in.
  • SychomacheteSychomachete Denmark Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218658Members
    I honestly wouldnt believe, that anyone would go to an ALIEN planet, with atleast 80% water coverage, and not bring some kind of net-launcher for collecting live specimens.

I get that they wouldn't bring guns, since they would be quite useless underwater.
    But a spear doesn't sound like a bad idea, or maybe the ability to throw a handful of sand into a predator's eyes, giving you a chance to escape.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    Weapons aren't gonna happen in Subnautica.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    apparently bullets are not aloud but chem war far that is band in the real world is fine lol
    GabrielBC wrote: »

Why can't you just use something that scare them away without hurting them instead of SHOVING A SPEAR ON THEIR MOUTH... Just because they want to kill you, it is not for bad, but they must do that in order to survive like we must cook a peeper and eat it... #RevengeIsNotNecessary

The Gasopod gets to drop toxic pellets as it's defense mechanism to deter predators why is a poke from a spear any different?
    I totally get the Dev's decision for a more pacifist approach and coming from several other survival games where you can (later down the tech tree) almost always use a kind of very powerful weapon I can understand the other side too demanding better tools for self defense.

But those don't need to be potential deadly like most of the suggestions made so far (spear, speargun etc.). I really like the idea with the electric field that @Nikonthenet mentioned. Those fields are already available today and confuse the electric sense sharks have to sense muscle contractions of their prey. That way they get totally disoriented as soon as they enter the field, which makes them leave asap.

I'd like to see something like this adapted to the small/mid sized predators of Subnautica. That way you could enter a possibly dangerous biome and be mostly save from the predators without harming them. Another way something like this may be realised is by basing it on biological ingredient and make it scent-based. That way you would emit a kind of cloud around you that acts as a repellant to predators. A bit like an Octopus releasing it's ink when in danger or a kind of underwater skunk. ;)

Or what about a dive-suit based on the Ampeel? It keeps you insulated from electricity and can emit a shock-field like that of the Seamoth upgrade only smaler. It would use up batteries as would the above mentioned field gadget of course.

Another approach may be a sound emiting device that drives predators away with a noise that either is slightly painful to them or mimicking a bigger predator. The later could have the downside of attracting said bigger predator to the noise if one is close enough to hear it.

The other thing I noticed is that some players say that they need more then one or two hits on a predator with a survival knife to drive them away. I can only speak for my own game experience here but if I manage to "really" hit them, one hit usually drives them away. The hit detection can be a bit wonky sometimes. If I swim sideways more often then not their bite misses me and I can drive them away without taking damage. That is if I am aware of the predator. If a stalker or sandshark manages to "sneak up" on me he mostly gets his first bite in but not a second or third. So at least for me the knife is not as bad as some mention it to be.

TL/DR: I know wall-o-text if you are to lazy to read it's not my problem.

Why assume the spear to be extremely damaging? Give it less damage than the knife for all i care, just give it longer reach and a chance of a deterring effect on hit... even zookeepers have a stick that they tap at the lions with when they get too close... i understand this game is different from most but that cant stop all of the survival genre fans from wanting more "realism" i'm sure many of us find it ridiculous that someone would have the ability to build a gun that freezes things before they tried to build a spear... I'm sure someone is going to fight back with the "well its a video game it's not supposed to have too much realism" 1) Thats a cop out and you're an ass for saying that 2) We can ask and want for anything and you guys telling us that it's never gonna happen isn't gonna stop us from wanting it :P
    Weapons aren't gonna happen in Subnautica.

thanks for the extremely insightful comment. That added so much to the topic that we didn't already know, i'm not sure how any of us would have lived without you telling us that. You're a visionary...
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Just keep in mind, the main character (who isn't inherently a man; there's a female option being worked on) cannot make anything. They are completely dependent on the technology that happens to be lying around. They cannot make a giant titanium tower or a nuclear reactor or a stasis rifle. What they can do is feed this one device in their lifepod the stuff it requests based on preprogrammed recipes in order to build another tool like that that also is blueprint-dependent. If there "just so happens" to be no laser gun or spear technology around (and I can definitely understand advanced weapons would be a locked recipe), the main character can't do anything. That qualifies as realistic.

I find more weaponry a slippery slope and that some weapons already take it too far. I don't like the way how things go from spear as upgrade of the knife almost immediately to spear gun in these kind of discussions. But I cannot say "even zookeepers have a stick that they tap at the lions with when they get too close" is not reasonable. Put like that, I can certainly be in favor of a cheap "get some distance" device to give yourself a fleeing chance (and to deal with exploding mushrooms). Don't think it's gamebreaking either with how rarely you get attacked from the front.

I have a small hope myself for an ink-based weapon to come along with the cute fish, if that isn't EA reward overkill. It would be nice to have a chance to collect ink from the critter (without making it sick) and use it personally.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Just keep in mind, the main character (who isn't inherently a man; there's a female option being worked on) cannot make anything. They are completely dependent on the technology that happens to be lying around. They cannot make a giant titanium tower or a nuclear reactor or a stasis rifle. What they can do is feed this one device in their lifepod the stuff it requests based on preprogrammed recipes in order to build another tool like that that also is blueprint-dependent. If there "just so happens" to be no laser gun or spear technology around (and I can definitely understand advanced weapons would be a locked recipe), the main character can't do anything. That qualifies as realistic.

I find more weaponry a slippery slope and that some weapons already take it too far. I don't like the way how things go from spear as upgrade of the knife almost immediately to spear gun in these kind of discussions. But I cannot say "even zookeepers have a stick that they tap at the lions with when they get too close" is not reasonable. Put like that, I can certainly be in favor of a cheap "get some distance" device to give yourself a fleeing chance (and to deal with exploding mushrooms). Don't think it's gamebreaking either with how rarely you get attacked from the front.

I have a small hope myself for an ink-based weapon to come along with the cute fish, if that isn't EA reward overkill. It would be nice to have a chance to collect ink from the critter (without making it sick) and use it personally.

This guy has a point. The character themselves in game doesn't actually do much of anything. Its the fabricator/builder that does all the work. You wouldn't even have the knife if not for the fabricator knowing how to make it. Personally. I dislike the spear idea. I think it's too violent, and I don't think the devs will add it. I do, however, love the idea of some ink gun/grenade, to act as a smoke bomb type deal. Perhaps we could have a pheromone system where using the transfuser, we sample DNA and use it to crate pheromones that will make that certain creature stop attacking you. These would last for maybe half an in game day, and it would be something that takes place a little further into the game. And one more thing. You do not have to attack any predators period. Most of them will leave you alone, and you can swim faster than a lot of them. There is no need to attack them. If you just want to exterminate all ocean life, go join a real life oil company.

This guy has a point. The character themselves in game doesn't actually do much of anything. Its the fabricator/builder that does all the work. You wouldn't even have the knife if not for the fabricator knowing how to make it. Personally. I dislike the spear idea. I think it's too violent, and I don't think the devs will add it. I do, however, love the idea of some ink gun/grenade, to act as a smoke bomb type deal. Perhaps we could have a pheromone system where using the transfuser, we sample DNA and use it to crate pheromones that will make that certain creature stop attacking you. These would last for maybe half an in game day, and it would be something that takes place a little further into the game. And one more thing. You do not have to attack any predators period. Most of them will leave you alone, and you can swim faster than a lot of them. There is no need to attack them. If you just want to exterminate all ocean life, go join a real life oil company.

So you mean to tell me that tying a rock to a stick is too hard for someone to do AND it's too violent??? poison gas torpedoes are just much safer and much more practical right? totally... also you got unneededly political with that oil company thing... im not an oil company nor do i work for one so im not offended in anyway, but this is a video game we dont need political controversy... but i might as well through this out there "we have poison gas torpedoes at our disposal but not a simple rock on a stick? History never taught about me how Hitler used to kill people with his dreaded spear chambers"
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    A spear makes sense and could fit into the theme.In a survival situation its one of the first things I would make. Honestly though, every defense I can think of for a spear is pretty well covered by the existing weapons in-game. Yeah, you're vulnerable in the early game, but that's part of the fun I think ;)
  • njohnson1448njohnson1448 Alabama Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218556Members

TL/DR: I know wall-o-text if you are to lazy to read it's not my problem. :p

I actually really like that electrical suit idea. It'd be like the reinforced suit but would drive them away instead. Not bad, good sir. Not bad at all.
  • A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members

That is a good point that I didn't think about writing my comment, but you'd think that there would be a few blueprints around for something like that if the people on it are entering an unknown planet and they need something to defend themselves with in case of deadly aliens. Not only just for realism's sake, but for gameplay. Once again, definitely would never want the game to turn into any sort of shooter, but you literally have no way of defending yourself by range if your not in a sub. Early game when your trying to find seamoth parts, it is probably annoying to more people then I that I have to sit up above all the creatures waiting for them to leave because all I have to get them away is a knife.

Again, I picture this weapon doing a very small amount of damage, mostly for getting the enemies to run away instead of attacking. Maybe about a quarter the damage of a knife hit per laser bullet, but you being able to shoot about 4 bullets per second. After the enemy has taken a certain amount of damage, they run away, and if you aren't attacking long enough, they come back(depending on the creature. This gun would be just about useless against a reaper). A cool down timer could also be there as well to keep you from spam firing. On top of that, have it be powered by batteries. Although I do picture it being an early game item, helping get those stalkers away from that piece of metal, because there is barely a way to be fending them off other then the repulsion cannon, this item can be nice to have late game as well.
  • tickeratickera Australia Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216399Members
    NNNNUUUUUUU

WWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

What type of horror game allows you to shoot the monsters? *cough* discludingsilenthill *cough*

no wipuns pls
    edited June 2016
    tickera wrote: »
    NNNNUUUUUUU

WWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

What type of horror game allows you to shoot the monsters? *cough* discludingsilenthill *cough*

no wipuns pls

Subnautica is not a horror game... also "discluding" isn't a word >_> it took me a second after i read it for the 9th time lol
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Is sorta is a horror game though, even if its unintentionally so. I don't think I've ever played a game where I'm this tense for most of it without it being a horror game. It even has jump scares when stalkers bite my butt out of nowhere lol