Update 302 now live on steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @F0rdPrefect Actually you probably shouldn't be able to sprint as fast as they do in full body armor. They run as it is, they should have a walk function.

But they should upgrade their armor to sprint, reasonably.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Frozen wrote: »
    @F0rdPrefect Actually you probably shouldn't be able to sprint as fast as they do in full body armor. They run as it is, they should have a walk function.

But they should upgrade their armor to sprint, reasonably.

Much as I like the idea of having armour affecting your run speed, I don't think it belongs in NS2 leave those mechanics in slower paced games i.e Arma 3, Insurgency etc.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I certainly did not mean than a1-3 should increase movespeed. I meant it as a separate upgrade.
  • TriggerHappyBroTriggerHappyBro Ohio Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217383Members, NS2 Playtester
    This separate upgrade would improve the armor's quality/fit and enable a weight reduction without sacrificing protection thus allowing its wearers to sprint.
    Now it's not in the "you have researched breathing" trope.
  • nanonoobnanonoob Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211315Members
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Just saying.
    Also I think in a game like ns2 something ultra-basic like human sprinting should not be an upgrade. Of course, they run pretty fast, but that's just due to the roots of the game and it's... arcadey? What's the opposite of realism? feel. I'm fine with the reduction in speed.
    Frozen wrote: »
    Actually you probably shouldn't be able to sprint as fast as they do in full body armor.

Disregarding the fact that marines move super humanly fast anyway (probably counts as Acceptable Break from Reality), you'd be surprised how mobile one is even in a full set of medieval plate armor, and the marine armor doesn't even look that heavy. Of course, it's still armor. You could add a sprint meter to compensate for that.

Wait... we had that, didn't we?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    Nobody excited about level editor lighting option or the prefab tool. :(

EDIT: Oops, looks like prefab tool didn't make it into the changelog, still there though.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I am. Finally I can mess with lowlights for the good of everyone. It was a disaster before.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

EDIT: Oops, looks like prefab tool didn't make it into the changelog, still there though.

What can you do with prefab tool?
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    Taking some pages out of the Unity book I see ...
  • Bike_ManBike_Man USA Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214124Members
    It's funny when you're exited the most for the editor update.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Prefabs are awesome, but you do have to tell us about them :P
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Noticed that my mods keep turning off every time I restart the game. In the past they were disabled after a new update, but once I restarted them, they would always default to On until the next patch came out.

I think there is some bug with 302 which means the game doesn't remember that we have re-activated the mods.

Please fix, it's annoying to have restart the mods after every game launch.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Zavaro wrote: »

The intent (for me, at least) is to create a bunch of basic graybox room designs so you guys can go crazy and make snap-map type maps in NS2 for testing purposes.

So basically mapping for people who don't want to spend several hours learning how to map? That's me! B)
    ezekel wrote: »
    Zavaro wrote: »

The intent (for me, at least) is to create a bunch of basic graybox room designs so you guys can go crazy and make snap-map type maps in NS2 for testing purposes.

So basically mapping for people who don't want to spend several hours learning how to map? That's me! B)

Hehe... good luck.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    no worries they work very good @BeigeAlert but i would like more and better entities like move props/entities or a player move entity (like booster) And ofcourse water entitiy!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

The prefab tool is basically just saving pre-made selections no differently than using the clipboard. The advantages are 1) you can build up a library of prefabs, 2) you click to place them where you want them, rather than having to copy, paste, move it into position (even more steps if it's on a different map!), and 3) you get a nice list of thumbnails to preview them.

BTW, prefabs (.pfb files) are saved in the "%appdata%\Natural Selection 2\Editor\Prefabs\" directory, so you can share them with friends!
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    The prefab tool sounds cool... Makes me tempted to try making a map. I made a couple maps for CoD4 back in the day and it was fun.

Unfortunately this community rejects any new or unknown map as bad and unbalanced... It makes me sad...
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately this community rejects anything new or unknown as bad and unbalanced... It makes me sad...

kek
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately this community rejects anything new or unknown as bad and unbalanced... It makes me sad...

kek

lel
    Really classing up the place aren't I.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Brings back memories of (other) waisted time.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    6 months ago build 278 halved the ns2 player base, 302 now we got 300ish players so for the FEW players still hoping for the game to get better again, you change running speeds instead make broken phasegates work or make xenocide expload insted of deal 0 dmg and suicide instead of getting kills do nothing, CC´s can still be built CLOSED and nothing can be built or ips dropped from a lost cc and aliens win by default even after 2 hour game and 200Tres you cant build sh*t with closed locked cc´s...
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited June 2016
    RadimaX wrote: »
    6 months ago build 278 halved the ns2 player base, 302 now we got 300ish players so for the FEW players still hoping for the game to get better again, you change running speeds instead make broken phasegates work or make xenocide expload insted of deal 0 dmg and suicide instead of getting kills do nothing, CC´s can still be built CLOSED and nothing can be built or ips dropped from a lost cc and aliens win by default even after 2 hour game and 200Tres you cant build sh*t with closed locked cc´s...

Maybe they've been trying to figure out how to fix those bugs all this time while they work to improve other stuff.. After all they have to be able to reproduce the bug so they can figure it out, and those 3 you listed are extremely rare in my experiences...

Ever think of that??

"Hey guys, I have a great idea! Why don't we simply fix the phase gate bug?"

*face palms* "Jesus, you are right! Why haven't we thought of that sooner? I'll get to it and be done by wednesday."
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016

Tried to replicate voluntarily outside of playtest hours in the past.
    090CDACF47DD492EAC4129FDC23D7017D6EFBF55

Needless to say if it was that easy to fix it would of been fixed already.

As an update, I think the mod-deactivation bug has been ninja-patched because it seems to be working.

Otherwise, games seem ok. I think players are slowly adapating to the 10-minute, 3-RT onosplosion issue.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited June 2016
    Its not extremely rare it happens every day i play, if only my pc could handle recording and playing at the same time...just the gate thing happen 3 times yesterday we was going to base rush cargo from the dome and half the players spawned back in main base after using phasegate where we just got beaconed to seconds ago...what if the tunnel was taking every alien back to where they entered it? would that not been considered a issue worth looking into? i post this 3 issues on every update in hopes that it will in at least my lifetime get fixed or atleast looked at so thank you for realizing their existence and hopefully adress them. Thanks #F0rdPrefect then i will play ns2 especially wednesday just like any other day.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The phase gate bug has been looked at. We just don't have reliable reproduction steps. A video would be best, but if you can make a list of actions that reliably lead to the phase gate bug it can that would be helpful