The big discussion thread on the recent and coming balance changes.

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Guys it's hardly surprising old players disagree with that, right?! RIGHT?!
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Frozen wrote: »
    Here's why 3rd hive tech being game ending is good.

You'll keep more new players if average round length is 15 minutes and it doesn't pass 20 minutes too often.

You'll retain and gain more players if the game is exciting and enjoyable...

I know it's purely a business decision to appeal to the general public, but I fear the safe rooms that are cropping up on your side of the atlantic may have blunted your taste for adventure:P
    Not Yours per se, just in general
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    There's no reason a game can't be exciting and enjoyable in 15 minutes. (See NS1, Overwatch)

There's plenty more reasons that games lose excitement and enjoyabity as they drag on however.

If you have 4 amazing 15 minute rounds in a row you'll keep playing, win or lose.

If you have 1 dragged out 60 minute game everyone is going to take a break and he servers dead, win or lose.
    Yes, thats a strong reason for it and I totally understand, I just wanted to put my voice in for the better or worse:]
    But NS1 was even more liable for dragged out rounds, especially since rines could relocate anywhere. Not implying it was a good thing though
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    The shortness of the game round actively detracts from my enjoyment, the game for me also suffers overall from a lack of early game engagements. (not that I could stand getting gunned down by lerk spikes for long anyways.) The speed of the player movement on both sides and the shrunken down nature of map sizes means engagements can happen as early at 10-15 seconds of a round, giving no buildup whatsoever.

Edit: Just for clarification a lost game is by all means lost and should end sooner, I just wish the progression of the game didn't reach that point as fast as it does.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Usually I'm the one screaming heads off when my team starts conceding (within reason). Sure, it only works like 1/10th of times, but the effort is still worth it and makes the game thrilling.

People like you are the reason I have to sit through waaay too many drawn out games without a real perspective of winning, begging the enemy team via chat to finally finish us off. Please concede games when appropriate, it will be overall more fun for everyone involved.

Also, please stop double posting. You literally just made three double posts in a row. That's gotta be some sort of record.
    edited June 2016
    Dont tell me what to do, youre not my mother:P im on phone and theres no edit button.

And youre the reason why I lose when theres a perfectly good chance of winning, but someone lost his lifeform and started a whine epidemic. Goes both ways mate. There's also a within reason next to that sentence.
  • TriggerHappyBroTriggerHappyBro Ohio Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217383Members, NS2 Playtester
    im on phone and theres no edit button.

What phone do you have?

iOS
    3xr6rjbv8hy7.png

Android
    s5x1miim5hem.png

im on phone and theres no edit button.

What phone do you have?

iOS
    3xr6rjbv8hy7.png

Android
    s5x1miim5hem.png

Right, you got me there. I'm blocking webfonts on my phone and the cog must be font-awesome or something... sorry for the double posts
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Dont tell me what to do, youre not my mother:P im on phone and theres no edit button.

And youre the reason why I lose when theres a perfectly good chance of winning, but someone lost his lifeform and started a whine epidemic. Goes both ways mate. There's also a within reason next to that sentence.

You yourself said:
    Usually I'm the one screaming heads off when my team starts conceding (within reason). Sure, it only works like 1/10th of times, but the effort is still worth it and makes the game thrilling.

That's 10% of me preventing you from having a turnaround vs. your 90% chance of preventing me from not having to play a drawn out boring slog of a game.
    And in my experience those are very optimistic numbers coming from you.
    So please, by all means, concede.
    edited June 2016

Wow, I never knew we were such buddies. You must be well enlightened about me, based on a few forum posts.
    I haven\t wrote that I never concede... but you're saying that you can predict the outcome of each round, and that's a bit overconfident even with a silver badge, wouldn't you think?
    But as I've said in my first reply, this point is a matter of taste. I like beating odds because it's satisfying - you know, no pain no gain. And you're welcome to your concedes. Thank god for democracy.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    but you're saying that you can predict the outcome of each round, and that's a bit overconfident even with a silver badge, wouldn't you think?
    You don't need a badge to know that when aliens have contamination, biomass 9, and the entire map.. that the odds of marines coming back are incredibly, extremely slim.
    Why drag it out?

As for the "Then why not just have 'Game Over' when Aliens reach Bio 9?" suggestion.. sure.. I'd have no issue with that personally. It's already a timer most don't know exists so making it concrete and part of the game would at least communicate to players more and with any luck encourage marines to pressure pressure pressure instead of holding half the map defensively as aliens slowly out tech them.

I obviously loathe the timer, and have been vocal about such for years.. but since no one is interested in changing it we might as well make it less painful / demotivating.
    edited June 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    but you're saying that you can predict the outcome of each round, and that's a bit overconfident even with a silver badge, wouldn't you think?
    You don't need a badge to know that when aliens have contamination, biomass 9, and the entire map.. that the odds of marines coming back are incredibly, extremely slim.
    Why drag it out?

As for the "Then why not just have 'Game Over' when Aliens reach Bio 9?" suggestion.. sure.. I'd have no issue with that personally. It's already a timer most don't know exists so making it concrete and part of the game would at least communicate to players more and with any luck encourage marines to pressure pressure pressure instead of holding half the map defensively as aliens slowly out tech them.

I obviously loathe the timer, and have been vocal about such for years.. but since no one is interested in changing it we might as well make it less painful / demotivating.

I hear about it only now and quite like the idea of a timer, if it's only for the alien team. It would add an extra layer of asymmetry to the game and spur the marines to act. But I guess the counter argument would be that it probably strips the aliens of late-game abilities which are rarely reached even now. A 2 min timer could be a nice balance

Wow, I never knew we were such buddies. You must be well enlightened about me, based on a few forum posts.
    I haven\t wrote that I never concede... but you're saying that you can predict the outcome of each round, and that's a bit overconfident even with a silver badge, wouldn't you think?
    But as I've said in my first reply, this point is a matter of taste. I like beating odds because it's satisfying - you know, no pain no gain. And you're welcome to your concedes. Thank god for democracy.

To judge whether your numbers are optimistic or not I don't need to know anything about you, just about the numbers. Which is what I was referring to. I'll try to make my points more clear to you in the future.
    Also yes, I can predict the outcome of rounds, and these powers have only become greater since I offered a small sacrifice of $25 to the gods of the NS2WC, may they rule for ever from their golden comm chair in the heavens.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Considering the importance of alien biomass is to the game, making it more apparent to both sides could potentially make the game easier to understand as well as a little more cinematic. Like the tsf voice saying "Extreme Kharaa contamination detected, evacuate immediately" when aliens reach Biomass 9 to help push players to end the game a little quicker.

Alternative to that is like a reverse ns1 game end mechanic where after a certain amount of time in biomass 9 the map starts flooding with bacterium and all the marines start slowly dying like aliens did in ns1 when all their hives were destroyed.
    edited June 2016
    lol @ Au CC

Okay, I too will clarify my position on a seemingly lost but possibly recoverable game:
    Aliens have 3rd hive growing, 2 suits of upgrades, more than half the resnodes. Marines have no proto, but a player manages to get a sneaky PG in a good location, With a coordinated rush you can take down a hive and get back on track.
    Marines have jets, w3. Aliens are on two hives, 1 suite of upgrades, res ratio the same as before just reversed. Marines start to rush the hive, but with a good tunnel you can take down their base, or if not at least do enough damage to have breathing space and recap.

But in my experience, in those situations most people just concede without putting up a fight. Why join and play in the first place then?

I'm possibly contradicting myself a bit, since those scenarios are easier to pull of on pubs... But I'm quite sure we'd agree like 75% of times whether to concede or not :P
    Considering the importance of alien biomass is to the game, making it more apparent to both sides could potentially make the game easier to understand as well as a little more cinematic. Like the tsf voice saying "Extreme Kharaa contamination detected, evacuate immediately" when aliens reach Biomass 9 to help push players to end the game a little quicker.

Alternative to that is like a reverse ns1 game end mechanic where after a certain amount of time in biomass 9 the map starts flooding with bacterium and all the marines start slowly dying like aliens did in ns1 when all their hives were destroyed.

@IronHorse about your timer... :]
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Aliens have 3rd hive growing,
    This is not the discussion taking place. The topic was around why contamination can be OP, which is a fully grown and fully teched 3rd hive at biomass 9.
    Btw, there are many downsides to the soft timer approach.. (Turtles, severely reduces comebacks for both teams, difficult to balance, lack of communication to non veteran players that timer exists, depressing and demotivating end games because there's no reason to keep playing beyond a point - to just name a few)

Supporting it for just the arbitrary notion of asymmetry is a silly thing imo, considering the sheer amount of asymmetric things already existing without downsides, and that most players are unaware of it (even you, as you admitted)
    edited June 2016
    I only mentioned you because the comment by @IeptBarakat resonates with the timer idea, and also adds visual/ambient queues about the time left, making it more easy to understand. Every game lost can be depressing, even if it lasted 5 mins... Sure, some would get demotivated by a countdown, but I personally would put in a last effort to turn things around.

And the title for this thread is THE BIG DISCUSSION THREAD ON THE RECENT AND COMING BALANCE CHANGES. :P
    You can make an end game timer after biomass an actual mechanic or researched ability. I'm only considering it because I think reducing game time is such an important thing if all this balancing will work.

Replace contaminate with a research that takes 2 minutes or so. When done the entire map starts to become infested with cysts. Structures start to lose armor and marines start to lose health and armor when touching it, which eventually they would have to unless they can kill a hive
    You can make an end game timer after biomass an actual mechanic or researched ability. I'm only considering it because I think reducing game time is such an important thing if all this balancing will work.

Replace contaminate with a research that takes 2 minutes or so. When done the entire map starts to become infested with cysts. Structures start to lose armor and marines start to lose health and armor when touching it, which eventually they would have to unless they can kill a hive

Could the cysts be destroyed temporarily, or would they be invulnerable?
    I'm just brainstorming of course so it doesn't really matter exactly the mechanics.

Sure, just provoking some thought :] I could imagine the cysts being destroyable so marines can setup a forward PG, but with more HP than regular cysts and they would grow back automatically. Simple infestation without cysts would be more easy for devs to implement though.

I'm not saying that I prefer long rounds, but totally cutting away the option for late comebacks just for the sake of shorter rounds decreases excitement, methinks.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    A big idea I just had that I really like. Feedback wanted.

Remove enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations from drifters.
    Make drifters 3 tres.
    Make enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations work like bonewall or rupture. You can only use enzme on infestation for example.
    Buff enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations because they only work on infestation.
    Make contaminate work like it used to.
    Make contaminate last 30 seconds, unless killed.
    Move contaminate to biomass 7.
    At biomass 9, make contaminate have an AOE umbra effect. This would replace the

This would still be a really strong because it would allow you to use the now buffed enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations anywhere on the map.
    At biomass 9, contaminate would have umbra effect and help break turtles/end games.
    This would also have the following QOL beneifits:
    1) Enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations would be easier to use, and require less micromanagment. Skill floor lowered.
    2) Enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations would be used more because they are easier to use and don't have the risk of losing an expensive drifter.
    3) Contaminate lasts longer, so it would be easier to use, and easier to shift structures into contaminate.

This would also curb marine aggression on RT's because enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations would be used more and were buffed.

Flamethrowers could also be made more valuable in that they remove enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations making it easier for marines to harass back res. It would be cool if flamethrowers were excellent and killing RT's. It would complement all of this well.
    edited June 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    A big idea I just had that I really like. Feedback wanted.

Remove enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations from drifters.
    Make drifters 3 tres.
    Make enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations work like bonewall or rupture. You can only use enzme on infestation for example.
    Buff enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations because they only work on infestation.
    Make contaminate work like it used to.
    Make contaminate last 30 seconds, unless killed.
    Move contaminate to biomass 7.
    At biomass 9, make contaminate have an AOE umbra effect. This would replace the

This would still be a really strong because it would allow you to use the now buffed enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations anywhere on the map.
    At biomass 9, contaminate would have umbra effect and help break turtles/end games.
    This would also have the following QOL beneifits:
    1) Enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations would be easier to use, and require less micromanagment. Skill floor lowered.
    2) Enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations would be used more because they are easier to use and don't have the risk of losing an expensive drifter.
    3) Contaminate lasts longer, so it would be easier to use, and easier to shift structures into contaminate.

This would also curb marine aggression on RT's because enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations would be used more and were buffed.

Flamethrowers could also be made more valuable in that they remove enzyme, mucous membrane, and halucinations making it easier for marines to harass back res. It would be cool if flamethrowers were excellent and killing RT's. It would complement all of this well.

con:
    lower skill floor (challenge is a fixation of mine)
    drifters would be reduced to two functions, one is building
    no more early support for aliens, baserush for eg.
    buffed spells (not sure if needed, or only increase effects a tidbit)

pro:
    more drifter scouting due to lower cost, as the other remaining function
    cysts are more important
    flamers are more important
    harvester defense, current mist should be taken out though
    better late game ending mechanic for aliens

As far as I remember, putting those spells as a drifter ability was a conscious decision to emphasize asymmetry of teams, but limiting the abilities to cysted areas still preserves some of that
    The more I think about it the more I like adding a soft timer to max biomass level (per map?) to get the round to end quicker, but with the chance for a last minute hive kill to stop it of course.

Fm6IYgol.png

A quick and dirty mockup of what it could look like for the marine team. Important to note that it should only start after all the alien tech is unlocked otherwise players won't get to enjoy their biomass 9 upgrades.