Scariest enemy?

LeoxideLeoxide United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216560Members
What do you think is the scariest enemy in Subnautica?
The vote can range from:

Number of deaths from this creature.
Number of scares from it.
Number of unexpected ''greetings'' from this creature.

This will be a specific list of only a few fauna, sorry Crabsquid lovers.

Comments

• ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    Umm... Blood Crawlers
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    No crabsquids? They're easily the most terrifying of all implemented fauna as is and I cannot say I look forward to future confrontations when they are updated with their EMP blast powers.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited June 2016
    Reapers stopped being scary when I realized l could turn faster than they could.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    I don't like big things in general in the ocean setting, the Reaper being the biggest and having the most menacing screech, I piss my pants every time even in my Cyclops.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Without Crabsquids on the poll (lol) its Ampeel for me. They are immune to my Seamoth Defense System, can accidentally fry me when they pop an AoE attack on a Boneshark, they can do massive damage to my Seamoth in a few seconds if they decide to attack, they refuse to swim in straight predictable lines, and I have yet to find a way to decoy them away from something. The big Reaper Leviathans ARE scary, but they don't like the taste of my Seamoth, and they can't actually destroy my Cyclops, plus they aren't really good at silently attacking you.
  • AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members
    Leoxide wrote: »
    This will be a specific list of only a few fauna, sorry Crabsquid lovers.
    Don't want to be a wise guy or something, but tiger plants belong to flora, not to fauna... just saying :no_mouth:

And for the vote, I guess I take biters. Why? Because they easily outclass every other type of enemy when it comes to:

Leoxide wrote: »

Really, just try to look for sandstone chunks in the grassy plateaus, they're like creepy wizards seemingly appearing out of nowhere to bite your ***

The reaper leviathan would take the 2nd place for me. I get chills every time I hear his attack cry... it's so loud and really fits his size.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I'd say that tiger plants are the least menacing thing on the list. I tried planting some outside my base once to keep other fauna away and it worked.
    As for sandsharks, I actually find them kind of adorable.
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    Without Crabsquids on the poll (lol) its Ampeel for me. They are immune to my Seamoth Defense System, can accidentally fry me when they pop an AoE attack on a Boneshark, they can do massive damage to my Seamoth in a few seconds if they decide to attack, they refuse to swim in straight predictable lines, and I have yet to find a way to decoy them away from something. The big Reaper Leviathans ARE scary, but they don't like the taste of my Seamoth, and they can't actually destroy my Cyclops, plus they aren't really good at silently attacking you.

These guys don't actively seek you to attack tho.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    I'd say that tiger plants are the least menacing thing on the list. I tried planting some outside my base once to keep other fauna away and it worked.

Didn't they revert back to their hostile-to-you nature once planted? Or did you plant them in Creative?
    Alright, with crabsquids consciously off the list, I'm voting biters. They aren't all that dangerous, but they've got the piranha feel down. Like they would swarm you and in union take bites. The reaper is a killer, but it only really attacks things smaller than itself, while biters are unsettling in their resilient attacks on much larger creatures. Being thrown around in the Seamoth by stalkers or either types of sharks is intimidating, especially without hull protection, but it cannot compare to the soft "thunks" hitting the Seamoth like rain.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    scubamatt wrote: »

Didn't they revert back to their hostile-to-you nature once planted? Or did you plant them in Creative?

Hardcore mode. They were still aggressive but I find them very easy to avoid.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    The reaper is the only thing that will keep me out of an area altogether. They don't have that "sneak up on you and go BOO!" factor like some of the smaller predators, but the other predators don't one-shot you either. These things are just too dangerous to mess with.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The scariest enemy is your own sanity... DUN DUN DUUUUN :tongue:
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    The Stalker gives me the most Jumpscares, i was Farming Metalframes between Safe-shallows and Kelp Forest and then an Unexpected Attack from Behind or the Side, from a Stalker, it gave me the ultimate Jumpscare, I entered my Seamoth and was waiting until the Stalker was gone, so I farmed more metal and again the Stalker Attacked from behind, is was scared and my Lifebar was at 10%, I enterd my seamoth again and killed the stalker by ram it down with my Sub.
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    edited June 2016
    FDR's vote: Fear itself
    My vote: Crabsnakes. Nothing like a jump scare out of a pink mushroom to ruin your day.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I've voted which one I think is the scariest, but I'm going to talk about the most annoying creatures.

In third place: the Cave Crawler
    In Second place: the Tiger Plant
    In First place: the Biter

Whenever any of these and their cousins (like the bood crawler or the blood biter) hurt you, there isn't much of your health which is reduced. It's just that they all do continuous attacks, sometimes in packs. They are all so annoying.

THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT I WANT THEM OUT OF THE GAME THO!
  • AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members
    @hmciv that's so true! Those crabsnakes get me every time :confounded:
  • LeoxideLeoxide United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216560Members
    edited June 2016
    I didn't add some fauna- eg: Crabsnake - because I have not seen anyone getting scared by these much.

As for the Crabsquids, lets just say.. They are terrifying. I didn't put them on here because I wanted it to be a fair poll. Mostly everyone would vote for them ( me included ). I added the reaper instead because I don't find these as scary. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty creepy, but.. you can easily see them/hear them and you have a chance to evade them.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    There is nothing scary in this game.

Except the peeper. Beware the peeper!

Somebody's Watching Me
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    edited June 2016
    You forgot the most important agressive creature in the game on your list! The crash fish! Everyone flips out when they are swimming through a cave and they see one of those crash plants open up and release a crash fish to chase after you lol.
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    There is nothing scary in this game.

Except the peeper. Beware the peeper!

Somebody's Watching Me

Peepers and Stalkers are best countered with the new Chris Hansen gun. :p
    WarViper wrote: »
    You forgot the most important agressive creature in the game on your list! The crash fish! Everyone flips out when they are swimming through a cave and they see one of those crash plants open up and release a crash fish to chase after you lol.

I find myself swimming in their path way more than I do dodging them. Crashes do not leave the plant if you near them at a 90 degree or more angle and end up blowing up the plant, which marks both the loss of a resource and of decor. So, I regularly use myself as bait to save the plants. I'd prefer if crash plants became immune to the explosion.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »

I find myself swimming in their path way more than I do dodging them. Crashes do not leave the plant if you near them at a 90 degree or more angle and end up blowing up the plant, which marks both the loss of a resource and of decor. So, I regularly use myself as bait to save the plants. I'd prefer if crash plants became immune to the explosion.

I wonder if that's why I keep finding crash power squares floating in space? I'll be cruising along and hear the crash launch noise, and then a series of explosions... but not near me. Then later I'll stumble across 3 or 4 samples of crash powder looking extremely square and just floating there maybe 6 inches off the floor or wall. So the good news is you might not be losing the resource. In fact, now I kinda wanna test to see if I can do this intentionally.
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »

I wonder if that's why I keep finding crash power squares floating in space? I'll be cruising along and hear the crash launch noise, and then a series of explosions... but not near me. Then later I'll stumble across 3 or 4 samples of crash powder looking extremely square and just floating there maybe 6 inches off the floor or wall. So the good news is you might not be losing the resource. In fact, now I kinda wanna test to see if I can do this intentionally.

i do this all the time, the easiest way of doing it is to just freeze the crash while its still in the pod and just activate it while frozen, then boom you got yourself a hole in the cave wall where the crash and the plant used to be.
    edited June 2016
    Sidchicken wrote: »

I'm not talking about the final batch of crash powder, but of the possibility to replenish. I am losing that resource because the crash plant disappears and won't make new crash powder. This isn't so bad resource-wise at the moment (crash powder would be a very logical ingredient to plant care if the devs would make farming more effort-taking) because there's few recipes for it and the flare is merely one among several methods to create light, but it is still annoying.
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    Reaper Leviathans, because as soon as you cross into a biome where they spawn, one always ends up somewhere uncomforably close. They don't seem to notice me and my seamoth half of the time, though.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Number of deaths from this creature.
    I don't think I've ever actually died from the predators in this game... usually its the kill command because I got stuck somewhere or fell through the bottom of my base >.< so this one doesn't factor in much. I never really stick around after being bit the first time at any rate... and avoid the leviathan areas like the plague.
    Number of scares from it.
    Stalkers, definitely stalkers. I will say that the bone shark's howl sends a chill up my spine more than pretty much anything else, but at least they give you a warning before taking a bite out of your rear end!
    Definitely stalkers... they're aptly named on low graphics settings. Surprise! *chomp* Pretty much everything else I can see coming from a long way away. Kelp forests just stress the graphics card on this machine I guess.

Sand sharks would be more menacing if the way they waddle through the water wasn't so dang cute, lol.