Ping number instead of bars in Browser?

zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
Hi. It seems the last patches have traded the ping number for bars. Is there a way i can change that back please?
Why was this changed? A number tells me much more than bars.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2016
    Oh wow... I've not started NS2 in a long time now. Was curious as to how the new server browser has been designed. It looks like it was made for consoles, where are the PC options/filters/information and so on... It certainly looks pretty, but has lost even more functionality even with all the suggestions made to make it better...

Geezzzzzzz, at least give this man his numbers back! And while you're at it, make yourself familiar with interaction design :D Graphical sexiness can coexist with functionality, it's not unheard off...

@zeep apparently you can still see the milliseconds on right click (server info popup). Not ideal, but you can still have your numbers for now :hushed:
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited June 2016
    Good tip @Kouji_San, i will do that.
    Overall it's not a deal breaker. But i'm a pc gamer and i need numbers! Bars are for consoles yoooooo ;):)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    zeep wrote: »

Because the number are inaccurate and misleading due to how latency gets measured by the steam master server system. Often a server having 20 ms higher latency turns out to be in the end the server with less latency as soon as you ping it directly. I don't think anyone is aware about this little but important fact and that's why the the ping numbers are not shown in the server list to display that they are approximated in the first place.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Surely this can be fixed for Steamworks games? I mean how are other games able to show an accurate ping, which correlates with your actual expected ping in game?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Surely this can be fixed for Steamworks games? I mean how are other games able to show an accurate ping, which correlates with your actual expected ping in game?

Yes this could be fixed but we would need to redesign the way the ns2 server query works which is quiet some work "just" to solve this issue.

Because the number are inaccurate and misleading due to how latency gets measured by the steam master server system. Often a server having 20 ms higher latency turns out to be in the end the server with less latency as soon as you ping it directly. I don't think anyone is aware about this little but important fact and that's why the the ping numbers are not shown in the server list to display that they are approximated in the first place.
    I see. How are the bars determined?

I see. How are the bars determined?

5 bars - perfect - < 50 ms
    4 bars - superb - <100 ms
    3 bars - good - <150 ms
    2 bars - okay - < 250 ms
    1 bar - avoid if possible - < 999ms

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Explain to me why Ghoul's box gives me a steady 5 - 10 ms ping? You in my cellar?
    CCTEE wrote: »

Explain to me why Ghoul's box gives me a steady 5 - 10 ms ping? You in my cellar?

He's always watching from the shadows :naughty:
    edited June 2016
    CCTEE wrote: »

My servers are hosted in "the cloud" so this could be the case at your place:
    the_cloud.png
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    Can I crash / bug everyone with a server ping >= 999 ms? :D