Should Subnautica Keep Terraforming PC Exclusive

BraydenDCBraydenDC Canada, British Columbia, Mission Join Date: 2015-06-03 Member: 205193Members
edited June 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
As we all know the Terraformer along with the Rock Puncher are probably canned. Due to the hardware limitations for the consoles and the game lag cause by the terraformable terrain. Should they continue to try to fix the Terraformer, or just remove it?

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Terraforming isn't that interesting imo, or at least not in its current form and I have no imagination for how it could be interesting. So if it gives trouble too, it may go. I do, however, want to keep everything associated with terraforming:
    • Keep the rock puncher and give it a new behavior. We have few walking creatures and this one's a pretty addition.
    • Keep the terraformer and give it a new purpose. It's one of my fav tools to handle.
    • More surface areas to make up for the fact you can't make them anymore (I am aware the devs are working on one or two areas right now) coupled with doing something about the clipping problem. I end up inside the sandbanks and floating island too easily.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Don't you dare do any difference between the pc and console versions, no matter how small the difference. There will be some differences which cannot change (such as the abscence of an experimental mode on xbox), but please do not do any differences on purpose.

That being said, don't fix the terraformer. But please save the rock puncher.
  • TheElfTheElf Deep blue Sea Join Date: 2016-05-07 Member: 216483Members
    screw consoles. Sorry folks, PC is where its at. If you are on console, that is your problem not mine.
  • EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    edited June 2016
    As one of the Devs mentioned here, they're not just removing it because of issues on the Xbox One, but because it breaks the feel of the world they've designed and works against the idea of gating biomes, because you can just dig your way anywhere.

So having it in one version but not the other wouldn't just be some minor difference, it'd totally change the feel and experience of each version. And yeah, you might not care what happens on the version you're not playing, but I imagine (I'm not a developer so feel happy to correct me here) it would also create two different development strands, and any future changes would have to be considered, balanced and possibly implemented differently or (not at all), all of which would take more time and resources, making development slower for everyone.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    EverReddy wrote: »
    As one of the Devs mentioned here, they're not just removing it because of issues on the Xbox One, but because it breaks the feel of the world they've designed and works against the idea of gating biomes, because you can just dig your way anywhere.

True. But they could have it only accessible via console commands or creative mode. There are alternatives. Of course, the reality is that maintaining two separate branches with different terrain systems probably isn't worth it (despite my vote :D)

My own hope is that they eventually release terrain editing tools (something the developers have mused about).
  • TheJewelOfJoolTheJewelOfJool Southwestern Ontario Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211261Members
    I hope the terraformer is removed. If it's causing the terrain pop-in issue, it can go the heck away.
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    Terraforming is being removed because of hardware limitations period. That includes PC. I honestly hope base compartments digging into the seafloor is also ending as Teraforming goes away.

I'm all for sea-floor dwelling creatures, so by all means re-purpose the Rock Puncher.
    Merandix wrote: »
    Terraforming is being removed because of hardware limitations period.

As the Devs's stated here, it's being removed both for performance AND design reasons. I'm sure I read somewhere that the sea bed respwning into buildings should be fixed with it's removal as well though.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I've never used the terraformer, and I've never had a desire to. If it causes problems for the game then good riddance, I say.
  • NikonthenetNikonthenet UK Join Date: 2016-05-12 Member: 216680Members
    I had to vote no becuase the popin on my PC (GTX980) is so bad I can't rely on what I can see more than about 30 meters! If removing the terraformer solves this, my experience will be vastly improved.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I would like to see the terraformer on both console and PC, but I think if the terraformer was pushed for console as well it might compromise some of the features due to console limitations. I love the terraformer, it feels like an invaluable tool and a great way to interact with the world instead of just being an observer.
  • blackjack301blackjack301 Orange Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217554Members
    TheElf wrote: »
    screw consoles. Sorry folks, PC is where its at. If you are on console, that is your problem not mine.

You do know consoles are basically pcs, right?
  • TheElfTheElf Deep blue Sea Join Date: 2016-05-07 Member: 216483Members

You do know consoles are basically pcs, right?

LOL!!! Not even close.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members

I know that this is a thing, but it's fucking stupid and should be got rid of. Gamers shouldn't search for differences between each other just to prove that some are superior to others. If you play on PC, fine. If you play on console, fine. We're all gamers here.
    I know that this is a thing, but it's **** stupid and should be got rid of. Gamers shouldn't search for differences between each other just to prove that some are superior to others. If you play on PC, fine. If you play on console, fine. We're all gamers here.

Couldn't agree more.

After being a PC gamer for over 10 years I moved to console gaming because I liked the idea of being able to play the latest title without having up spend hundreds upgrading my machine every couple of years. I liked the idea of being able to play multiplayer without having to wait an age while at least one person updated to the latest patch version, or download extra drivers, software for chat and set up VPN's because having more than one player in the same house was causing IP conflicts. I liked the idea of games still getting better over time without me having up upgrade because the developers had time to learn the architecture and didn't have to try and cater for the thousands of possible hardware variants. I liked the idea of being physically sociable and playing games with my mates while we're all in the same room, the way I did as a kid back when networking was something only people did.

Do I think that makes consoles or console gamers better? Nope. Do I shun PC gaming or gamers? Nope.
    My life has simply changed in such a way that I now have to spend my money on more important things than the latest CPU (for which I'll need a new MOBO, and RAM, and all singing GPU with UV light). And my gaming time is much more limited, so I've just chosen to prioritise ease of use and sociability over screen resolution and sitting in a room on my own every evening.

And remember, there'll always be someone with a better rig than you, so each to their own guys, play nice.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    No, because it's a waste of resources and manpower that could be used for expanding the game in other, more interesting areas. We need more variety in fauna and flora, we need more variety in base components, we need more zones and we know some of them are being canned due to lack of time. Terraformer is just a toy that, while fun, causes more trouble than it is worth, and it would still need way too much work to be implemented as a fully functional feature.
  • ByrdisthewordByrdistheword Join Date: 2016-07-13 Member: 220151Members
    I think the terraformer should stay because it adds a creative outlet to the game. One gripe I have with Subnautica is that it focuses more on the survival element than it does on creativity, and base-building. If this was an intentional design choice, then my words have no purpose here, but if the devs wanted to create environment of endless opportunities, and large creative free roam, the terraformer must stay. However if the device truly causes more harm than good then I guess it must go.
  • Tyr07Tyr07 Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173208Members
    I don't think a terraformer fits the style of the game, bigger maps, more optimized maps, even some random generation components to make bigger maps, I support these things.

I have a lot of voxel creative games, and I love base designing, I'd much like to instead explore the world as it is and build my structures based on the world, instead of changing the world.

I have an 8 core system, 8 gigs of ram, 980 ti, and the game stutters and have frame rate issues, can't even get it to use more than 2-2.5 gb of ram. I'd rather a optmized fun experienced then a lag riddled game that let me dig some holes.
  • RichieCRichieC Mars Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220235Members
    I don't see any issue with keeping the terraformer for PC gamers who want it. I believe EA is forced to do similar for it's Sims series' with it's expansion packs, with PC players being able to layer on expansion pack after expansion pack and console players unfortunately having to settle for a bit less.
    I'd keep it as a happy, non necessary extra.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I don't really think it matters, because they're removing it anyway :neutral:
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    But I like the terraformer! Encircling a Reaper inside fortress of stone is very satisfying.