Official Map Feedback Thread!

ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
Hi community duders,

After receiving some bug reports from some of our community members (Thanks @The_Welsh_Wizard, @Nordic, @F0rdPrefect and @Kasharic), I've decided to create this thread such that the community can post issues with official maps. As @Loki, @Flaterectomy and I do a lot of work to maintain the maps in Natural Selection 2, we sometimes forget (or have not seen) many of the bugs and things which have been left outstanding for many, many months. These fixes can range from misaligned textures, missing props, bad CommanderInvisible geometry, to weird sound falloff. In fact, recently, I helped push an update which contained a fix for missing floor collision in Eclipse, which had been left in the map for over two years, having thought it was fixed long ago.

Typically, these things are located in internal forums, which limits accessibility. As I am a huge proponent of including the community in development, I extend the arm of legit-mappers-goodness to call on your help to help refine and perfect NS2's maps!

There's a great tool called ShareX which can instantly take a picture and upload it to Imgur. I'd highly suggest installing it for your personal use, but it also would greatly increase your efficiency and ease of linking pictures to this site!

Note: If there are any serious gamebreaking exploits or bugs in these maps, please instead message me directly so that we can directly solve this.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If you really need work, take a look at Cargo in Veil and Cave in Mineshaft :P
    Both are just broken. In cave's case marines just need to walk in and shoot the hive. Cargo requires JPs, but it's still frustrating as hell...
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    About Cargo in Veil, please make the vent to look down to prevent gorges bile bombing.

Vents were not designed to be hidden places for gorges to destroy a base. And the solution of having one marine making his way through a jumping marathon to prevent a base being destroyed is terrible. Especially because the gorge is only LMB clicking while the marine is making a series of jumps that are not that easy in pub level and that he can be killed by any lerk/fade/skulk during this vulnerable process
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    " I extend the arm of legit-mappers-goodness"
    Classic Zavaro. I will post things here instead of internally. More to come.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Blrg wrote: »
    About Cargo in Veil, please make the vent to look down to prevent gorges bile bombing.

Vents were not designed to be hidden places for gorges to destroy a base. And the solution of having one marine making his way through a jumping marathon to prevent a base being destroyed is terrible. Especially because the gorge is only LMB clicking while the marine is making a series of jumps that are not that easy in pub level and that he can be killed by any lerk/fade/skulk during this vulnerable process

Personally, I think that vent is actually completely fair. You can go into the vent and shoot him from below. Plus, if the Gorge is dumb, he's created a ladder for you to climb up. I could put a ladder entity in the vent, as well. I'll test it and see how it goes, but quite frankly, that vent is pretty chill with the cause-of-alien-depression that is Cargo Hive.
    If you really need work, take a look at Cargo in Veil and Cave in Mineshaft :P
    Both are just broken. In cave's case marines just need to walk in and shoot the hive. Cargo requires JPs, but it's still frustrating as hell...

I've been considering making some slight changes to Cave recently. It was originally planned as a huge revamp (last year) to Mineshaft with some changes to the Cave-Cavern-Crusher areas, but I will not have the time to redo these areas given all the other stuff I'm working on. @SamusDroid had a build, I believe, with some legit changes. Or @Mephilles, I can't remember. Though I did like the @Kasharic build of Mineshaft as well, it had good ideas.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    I have it somewhere, I backed up all NS2 stuff before nuking it
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Both of these may be fixed.

Refinery:
    The hole in Chasm's death trigger doesn't kill everywhere.

It is here.
    z8o4G3i.jpg

If I jump from here I can land there as a marine.
    ONVVTDY.jpg

While standing in the spot a skulk you can walk towards the corner where this skulk is.
    e4vJX14.jpg

Another image with I think two skulks fit in the spot.
    lugaJhe.jpg

Mineshaft:
    It used to be really easy to get stuck on the edge of this glass. I am assuming it is fixed because I couldn't do it anymore but I am posting just in case.
    qHgiOnZ.jpg
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I have it somewhere, I backed up all NS2 stuff before nuking it

Why don't we take a look at next sunday?

Could be fun/interesting even if no one wants to work on it.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Zavaro I was the dude with kodiak and if I would have more time I'd actually improve the biosphere area on it, by retexturing that area. It needs the wall props of crevice in summit and some snow on the ground while the water is frozen.

That way the area is less frustrating for marines because skulks are actually visible then
    edited May 2016
    Tram no power and refinery stuck spot.
    No power on robo
    WnfHZCX.jpg

Fade was stuck
    0qPDQ7y.jpg
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Death trigger in Ventilation on summit isn't blocking the whole area, not sure how but I got down to the fan without dying :/
    wDCrJTM.jpg
    JYKlgsA.jpg
    On Descent, the area below crew quarters is too small. If a marine goes down there, his head sticks through the geometry, and aliens can kill him from above.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Zavaro wrote: »
    Blrg wrote: »

Personally, I think that vent is actually completely fair. You can go into the vent and shoot him from below. Plus, if the Gorge is dumb, he's created a ladder for you to climb up. I could put a ladder entity in the vent, as well. I'll test it and see how it goes, but quite frankly, that vent is pretty chill with the cause-of-alien-depression that is Cargo Hive.

It is not about the vent itself which is completely fine. It is solely about the reason that the vent is (almost) inaccessible for marines and a single gorge can bile the whole cargo area. It is extremely frustrating and not fun for marines and not balanced, dropping a CC or IPs in Cargo is impossible because of that single reason. You can keep the vent as it is, but modify the exit please so a gorge cannot bile.

I also think how the room performs with a Hive in there is irrelevant because the problem is only present when marines hold it.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    True, I could add a ladder to the vent. That's one of the things I considered after you suggested a change.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Is there a reason btw why this thread doesn't show up in the forum overview? Hard to notice it.
  • ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    edited June 2016
    Arcing "smelting" from "transit" at ns2_refinery looks like a bug.
    biia5rjjyn9y.jpg
    pmd8hctxmfcm.jpg
    Definitely is. Will get it sorted ASAP.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2016
    Hey Zavaro,

since I've didnt find your thread I unfortunately created one for the ns_veil bug.

Getting Stuck as Marine in Nano :)

Thanks for Fixing

Handschuh wrote: »
    Since ns_veil is one of the most played and probably oldest maps I thought it should be bugfree ... anyway not sure, if thats the correct forumarea - or where I can report Bugs..and whether it's an individual problem of mine?

In NanoGrid I seem to get Stuck in the Round Corners as Marine- especially If I leave NanoGrid close to the wall...
    Just look at the picture

gmrcrc4nwavc.jpg
    radionaut wrote: »
    confirmed. it's likely the player model (head?) getting stuck on the protruding geometry:
    808hlmf.jpg
    lTmqixw.jpg

uqjipsoacqeb.png

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I also have these issues with Lerk or Fade... especially while armorblocking the entrance for Onos I try to blink left or right of the armory... but Ill somehow get rubberbanded back so i need to blink several times and need like 2 seconds to get around that corner in order to free myself from the rubberband... it is quite bad when you cant use the whole entrance of Nano in order to dodge bullets :(
    edited April 2017
    f06905d2d2eb43d08174f600398a3b9f.png
    This cyst cannot be shot, weldered ... just is unkillable
    crevice - summit - if you stand in front of the
    powernode: look right and thats the corner
  • minsciminsci Finland Join Date: 2013-05-27 Member: 185382Members, Reinforced - Shadow