Harmless Defensive Ideas.

Mini_GaaraMini_Gaara England Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217049Members
With the whole lethal weapons VS using your wits debates going on, I figured I would chime in a few ideas. The reason weapons are wanted is for defence right?

1) Decoys: After scanning a fish/creature, you could gain a new blueprint, for example scanning a peeper would result in you gaining a" Peeper Decoy " blueprint. This would only work for creatures you can hold in your hand.

Different hostile creatures would prefer different types of fish, meaning you would have to prepare the correct type for your journey. Obviously the decoys would not last long, the predator would destroy it, then resume regular behaviour. Giving you enough time to retreat to a Seamoth for example.

2) Creature Repellent: Similar to how a cat Repellent device would work in real life, emitting a noise that they dislike, it keeps cats away. Now imagine a much larger one for, as you guessed it, hostile creatures. This would take a massive drain on your power supply, allowing you to turn it on and off depending on the situation you are in. For example, a Reaper comes up to have a snack on your limbs, switch it on until it retreats out of sight. ( The noise could possibly be a recorded sound of a larger creature they would be afraid of. )

3) Electronics Room: This is a room that I thought could be used for a few ideas below:

4) Sound Attractor: Pretty much the opposite of the previous idea. You could set up a fairly decent sized structure where ever you desire, having it run on power cells. I was thinking this could connect to a scanner room ( OR THE ELECTRONICS ROOM ) through some switch turning it on and off to attract creatures towards it. However you would need to manually swim out to it so that you can replace the power cell. This way you still have to head to a possibly dangerous area to keep your tactic working.

5) Holograms: Another Idea for the Electronics room, similar to the decoys, if you were to scan a larger creature such as a Reaper, Reefback, BoneShark, ect, you would unlock the " Reaper Hologram ", " Reefback Hologram " ect, for a "Hologram Constructor " in the Electronics Room.

A hologram could be projected out of a " Hologram Gun " which would generate a Hologram of the selected creature a short distance from you. The hologram would ignore you if it is a hostile creature, however other hostile creatures smaller than the chosen hologram will flee the area until the hologram is either disrupted by a larger creature, or the time limit/ energy of it ends.

( Whether or not this could be used in the story regarding the Sea Emperor and Sea Dragon I do not know. )

6) Seamoth Camo: This would be an upgrade Seamoth module, allowing you to blend in with your surroundings while it is activated, it would drain your energy while active at a fairly fast rate but all creatures would ignore you, apart from any you hit, and any that are close enough to hear you.
The signal for it would stay so you can find it if you exit it while camo is active. Also activating your lights would negate the effect of the Camo Module.

7) Noise Module: This would in effect, make your Seamoth silent with the module equipped. Useful in combination with the Camo Module. ( You would still need to avoid hitting creatures though, they would notice that ;) )

8) The Big Bad Bear: A little stuffed teddy from your childhood, he keeps the big bad meanies away. Takes 20 diamonds, 15 gold, 30 uranium and 1 titanium to build.

There are many ways we can defend ourselves in Subnautica without using lethal weapons :P

Comments

• Mini_GaaraMini_Gaara England Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217049Members
    Just to add, if there is any that you really like, say what it is and why. I am curious how others will take on these ideas.
  • EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    I like the idea of decoys to attract bigger fish and repellent to keep away the smaller ones.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited June 2016
    I really like the decoy idea, but I think it'd need to be much simpler than that. Just one general decoy for all non-giant predators which you can drop from your inventory or shoot with the torpedo module of the seamoth.

Camo also has my interest. It would be a major convenience if I could go wreck exploring without drawing the attention of predators first.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I really like the decoy idea, but I think it'd need to be much simpler than that. Just one general decoy for all non-giant predators which you can drop from your inventory or shoot with the torpedo module of the seamoth.

I don't know, I think you could get some mileage out of having different decoys. After all, different fish are attracted to different bait.
    Camo also has my interest. It would be a major convenience if I could go wreck exploring without drawing the attention of predators first.

Wouldn't that be what the decoy is for? Although I admit there's no reason why there should only be one way of doing things. I just have enough trouble trying to find my Seamoth when it's shiny white, so I'd need to remember to turn any camo off before I left it! :lol:
    edited June 2016
    EverReddy wrote: »
    I like the idea of decoys to attract bigger fish and repellent to keep away the smaller ones.

Now that I think about it, it would have to be the smaller ones it keeps away, I can't imagine a reaper would get scared off lol. My favourite has to be the decoys because as far as I am aware, scanning fish doesn't exactly do anything helpful right? May as well give it a use.

Oooh I did not think about shooting them from a seamoth, that would be handy. Also the reason I was thinking to have several types of decoys was that they would become more expensive, but also they could be faster and tougher to catch making them last longer than the cheapest version of decoy. Camo was inspired by my annoyance for bone sharks when I wanted a particular fragment, so I know how you feel ;)

I don't know, I think you could get some mileage out of having different decoys. After all, different fish are attracted to different bait.

Wouldn't that be what the decoy is for? Although I admit there's no reason why there should only be one way of doing things. I just have enough trouble trying to find my Seamoth when it's shiny white, so I'd need to remember to turn any camo off before I left it! :lol:

Well, the decoy if used as a torpedo would function more to draw predators away from a spot. Camo won't do me much good if the predator won't leave the entrance. The decoy, meanwhile might not be effective for large groups of enemies. I can imagine that if you're under siege by 4+ biters, the decoy might fail to draw all their attention. Not to mention that the decoy would be a resource drain and the camo not.

As for different decoys, my concern is mostly how inviting its use is against alternatives. Like, camo would work on every creature, so why then should I go through the trouble of indexing what creatures I will encounter (which also requires a set destination rather than free exploration) and get the appropriate decoys for each of them set up in case I need them? It seems to me to be too limiting to be a candidate.
    As for different decoys, my concern is mostly how inviting its use is against alternatives. Like, camo would work on every creature, so why then should I go through the trouble of indexing what creatures I will encounter (which also requires a set destination rather than free exploration) and get the appropriate decoys for each of them set up in case I need them? It seems to me to be too limiting to be a candidate.

Which is one reason why I'm less of a fan of camo. It feels like it would be overpowered.

Which is one reason why I'm less of a fan of camo. It feels like it would be overpowered.

If you could nerf it how would you? Other than a massive drain on the Seamoths power, If you activate it for too long you may end up not having enough power to get home. ( power cells could counter this though ). If you have suggestions for nerfing or adding to any of the ideas feel free to mention them , that is what this thread is for after all :P

But every in-game item already is like that? The electric field is all-use (give or take that one immune eel). No discrimination with the propulsion gun or torpedos either except for size. I can't think of a single one-creature distraction except for scrap metal to stalkers, which isn't quite the same thing.

All camo would need to be for balance is a huge drain on energy that'd limit its use to getting past quickly.
    edited June 2016
    But every in-game item already is like that? The electric field is all-use (give or take that one immune eel). No discrimination with the propulsion gun or torpedos either except for size. I can't think of a single one-creature distraction except for scrap metal to stalkers, which isn't quite the same thing.

All camo would need to be for balance is a huge drain on energy that'd limit its use to getting past quickly.

Well you mention two exceptions there yourself, so there is already diversity in how creatures act/react, which personally I'm all for and would like to see more of. And even with some items having the same effect against most creatures, that doesn't mean that every other item has to act the same way.

Plus if you have to have different deterrents for different creatures it could give more meaning to scanning them beyond a small entry in your PDA. It would also mean you'd have to create and equip particular items depending on where you're planning to go, which would help flesh out the game.

That said, camouflage is only effective against creatures that use sight as a primary sense. Others may use sonar or other senses, so you could still have some creatures who are immune to it, especially those deeper down where there is less light.
  • Dirk_PerfectDirk_Perfect Kentucky Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217411Members
    A type of personal camo could be a new dive suit as well. It could have the markings of a large predator and at night it gets a bioluminate of the predator on it. Thus, may scare away small to medium sized predators and possibly big ones while not scared away may ignore you. There should always be a chance it don't work especially on large predators and naturally would be completely useless on a species that uses sonar. Maybe an upgrade you could wear instead of say your thermostat in that upgrade slot you could add a sonar signature that broadcasts the signal of a large predator covering that base to at the sacrifice of one of those slots.
    edited June 2016
    A type of personal camo could be a new dive suit as well. It could have the markings of a large predator and at night it gets a bioluminate of the predator on it. Thus, may scare away small to medium sized predators and possibly big ones while not scared away may ignore you. There should always be a chance it don't work especially on large predators and naturally would be completely useless on a species that uses sonar. Maybe an upgrade you could wear instead of say your thermostat in that upgrade slot you could add a sonar signature that broadcasts the signal of a large predator covering that base to at the sacrifice of one of those slots.

Lighting up at night would probably attract larger creatures, though I suppose that in itself would balance it out.
  • yellowsubyellowsub manchester Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220525Members
    I have been working on a proposal to the devs with a similar intent. The idea of capturing and hatching eggs then studying them in the containment. My idea was to use natural reactions and observations to create defences eg sandsharks use the sand to change body temp as are cold blooded so applying heat to their shell could force them to bury themselves to cool off. There are many ideas that ive thought of from an animal planet perspective including reaper defences and training stalkers
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited August 2016
    I dont think we need another technology for decoys, all we need is to add this ability to flares, just imagine , you drop a flare and the creature just goes and chases it for a while. If it works for the Alien in Alien Isolation i dont see why it cant work here....
    Just why not adding decoy magnesium flares maybe with another burning color?... no sense in keep harvesting dust from the Kamikaze fish when we can make magnesium from surplus salt widely available from the water purifiers.
  • HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
    I really like the camo idea, also the run silent idea. To add to that you could tremendously lose speed while using run silent. And for the camo, the faster you move the more it negates the effect. This would make using run silent with the camo a very useful tactic, if run silent forced you to move slower, while being a tremendous drain on your power. You could even possibly use this with the cyclops. I was watching this show on Netflix called The Deep ( I got interested in it after playing this game ) they have some really cool tech on their subs, mini-subs, and exo-suits. And other hand held tech.
  • yellowsubyellowsub manchester Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220525Members
    So ive been doing some more observations again to further the none lethal defences idea. Initially using trained or domesticated stalkers to patrol your base as deterrent to others. This could be done through the containment with a training or domesticate feature attachment and could be used on a multitude of eggs. Naturally having some gasopods and stalkers should be fine defence to begin with however my sand shark idea from before still stands relevant for observation. Ive noticed that creatures keep clear of the reefback so having that teathered near your base could help. Finally for simplicity as base defence and applicable to subs as well how about a recording emitter.
    This would play back the sound of whatever creature you have recorded every so often in way of scaring other creatures away the down side being power drain and having to hear the creepy ass roar of a reaper now and again.
    This last one is currently in use to deter wolf packs from eating lifestock in remote rural areas.