We need a new weapon!

DeadlySilentpigDeadlySilentpig Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217514Members
We need a weapon that does damage unlike the stasis rifle. While the stasis is useful it would be better if it did damage.

Comment what you think. Thank you.

Comments

• EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    I agree with @AceDynamo. One of the reasons I love this game is that it's such a nice change from shooting everything that moves in the face. I feel so much more relaxed after playing this than I to after any shooter.

If there were to be a new weapon though I'd suggest something like a harpoon gun. You could go fishing with it, but the most it would do to larger fauna is scare them off for a bit, if at all.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • DeadlySilentpigDeadlySilentpig Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217514Members
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    There will be NO offensive weapons (besides the Survival Knife) in SubNautica.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    My compliments for the decision for nonviolence. The lack of combat was a major selling point to me, but I didn't realize just how intentional the design is.
  • zyryxzyryx USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217298Members
    No to lethal weapons. This is a refreshing change of pace from the usual slaughter everything gameplay.
  • killenjokekillenjoke Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 216997Members
    so, we shouldn't kill the fish that try to kill us, but killing the harmless fish is fine........Seems legit devs.

give us trangs, make it so we can cut the looming stingers from the ceiling. give us some way to defend our selves. Sonic/sonar gun that stuns creatures or makes them flee.

you guys are adding more and more hostile creatures and you expect us to get by with non lethal measures? what happens when the stasis rifle and the propulsion gun run out of power? we're forced to carry tons of batteries or stay in a vehicle the entire time.

this whole non-lethal thing is amusing since many milestones are things like, killing the sea emperor or dragon.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    My compliments for the decision for nonviolence. The lack of combat was a major selling point to me, but I didn't realize just how intentional the design is.
    zyryx wrote: »
    No to lethal weapons. This is a refreshing change of pace from the usual slaughter everything gameplay.
    Salyn wrote: »
    I like being unable to kill the creatures in Subnautica, it provides a much more interesting experience imo. However, if the dev's decide to add creature attacks to your base, I feel as if a nice defensive weapon would be a base mounted propulsion cannon, it uses base power to launch aggressive fauna away. Another option is similar to the seamoth's perimeter defense system, we can have a device that electrocutes creatures who stray too close.

propulsion cannon, plus rock. Kills most fish, you also have a knife and your main source of food is fish that you cook with lasers.... maybe not so non-violent after all, huh?
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Why not just a spear? I have protested multiple times that a spear is not a gun, it's just a longer/throwable knife!
  • AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    edited May 2016
    There ya go, since you are so desperate to kill something, propulsion cannon also works on the stingers too.
    And cooking LOL, yeah by that perspective you could say making a vegi-burger is violent act, life feeds on life, feeds on life.
  • PacotheFriendlyTacoPacotheFriendlyTaco United States Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217003Members
    Flayra wrote: »
    Here is some reasoning about why we don't have more violent/damaging weapons in the game:

http://kotaku.com/revulsion-with-real-guns-inspired-developer-to-make-a-g-1768960503

Christ. I agree with the no-gun decision because of my perspective on how it would negatively affect gameplay, but the misinformation and uninformed "fact-making" in that article was painful to read.
    AceDynamo wrote: »
    There ya go, since you are so desperate to kill something, propulsion cannon also works on the stingers too.
    And cooking LOL, yeah by that perspective you could say making a vegi-burger is violent act, life feeds on life, feeds on life.

your first statement pretty much removes any chance for you to "Logic" your way through this. you and the devs say there's no ways to kill in this game and there shouldn't be... there are... multiple. They're just annoying, tedious, and expensive, depending.

btw, good luck swimming around with your pocket full of D batteries. the propulsion cannon eats batteries like an 80's boombox.

hunting is in fact a violent act. It is no less so due to the detachment imbued by letting lasers do the dirty work.

again, it's fine to kill "insignificant' fish for X reason, but all reasoning for killing other "significant" fish is thrown out the window? seems legit.

and no, eating/cooking a Veggie burger is not an act of violence. while plants are alive they do not possess consciousness as we understand it. Also, most fruits/vegetables are harvested without harming the "body" of the plant and most of what we eat is intended to be eaten as a part of the plants life cycle (read up on how seeds spread, it tells you why most fruits and vegetables taste delicious)

where as snatching a fish by it's eye stock and cooking it alive by zapping it with lasers is pretty damn violent actually.

not to mention, the only method for killing intended to be used in the game is the knife. so, instantly killing something with a spear gun, or some other device is more violent than hacking and slashing it? um, ok.

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited May 2016
    killenjoke wrote: »
    your first statement pretty much removes any chance for you to "Logic" your way through this. you and the devs say there's no ways to kill in this game and there shouldn't be... there are... multiple. They're just annoying, tedious, and expensive, depending.

btw, good luck swimming around with your pocket full of D batteries. the propulsion cannon eats batteries like an 80's boombox.

hunting is in fact a violent act. It is no less so due to the detachment imbued by letting lasers do the dirty work.

again, it's fine to kill "insignificant' fish for X reason, but all reasoning for killing other "significant" fish is thrown out the window? seems legit.

and no, eating/cooking a Veggie burger is not an act of violence. while plants are alive they do not possess consciousness as we understand it. Also, most fruits/vegetables are harvested without harming the "body" of the plant and most of what we eat is intended to be eaten as a part of the plants life cycle (read up on how seeds spread, it tells you why most fruits and vegetables taste delicious)

where as snatching a fish by it's eye stock and cooking it alive by zapping it with lasers is pretty damn violent actually.

not to mention, the only method for killing intended to be used in the game is the knife. so, instantly killing something with a spear gun, or some other device is more violent than hacking and slashing it? um, ok.

You aren't comprehending what people, or at least I, are talking about.

It's not that there aren't ways to kill in the game, it's that the game doesn't point you at the fish with the message to kill. "They're just annoying, tedious, and expensive, depending." - That! That is exactly the kind of barricades the game throws up to move you in another direction than one of combat. Also things like that killing earns you no rewards. Or that the knife on its own puts you in more danger against most fish than it might protect you. Food is no different. It's explicitly made clear that eating fish is a no-choice survival need. I think it's when you cook a garryfish the game even says that eating dead animals is no longer a practice on Earth and that it's something the character might have to put themself over. I really like that line; still would like a bean plant early on even if it'd be a bigger challenge to get than fish just to have vegetarian options, but the acknowledgement is good as is.

A game does not have to be devoid of violence to not revolve around killing. It's about the message on which the gameplay is built. Undertale is an example of this, and I also feel the ending difference in Spooky's House of Jumpscares depending on your response to acquiring the axe comes back to this principle.
    DrownedOut wrote: »

You aren't comprehending what people, or at least I, are talking about.

It's not that there aren't ways to kill in the game, it's that the game doesn't point you at the fish with the message to kill. "They're just annoying, tedious, and expensive, depending." - That! That is exactly the kind of barricades the game throws up to move you in another direction than one of combat. Also things like that killing earns you no rewards. Or that the knife on its own puts you in more danger against most fish than it might protect you. Food is no different. It's explicitly made clear that eating fish is a no-choice survival need. I think it's when you cook a garryfish the game even says that eating dead animals is no longer a practice on Earth and that it's something the character might have to put themself over. I really like that line; still would like a bean plant early on even if it'd be a bigger challenge to get than fish just to have vegetarian options, but the acknowledgement is good as is.

A game does not have to be devoid of violence to not revolve around killing. It's about the message on which the gameplay is built. Undertale is an example of this, and I also feel the ending difference in Spooky's House of Jumpscares depending on your response to acquiring the axe comes back to this principle.

then role play your principle and be fictionally moral. while other people want proper ways to survive and defend themselves.

a game with multiple ways to kill doesn't have to revolve around killing either. Ark has tons of weapons and Dinos that can kill. But I Typically avoid killing other dinos except for leveling and resource gathering and in self defense. The fact that we really don't have the option for proper self defense in this game makes it feel less like some morally right future and more like a facist police state.

maybe there could be a meter that show how the character feels about killing the fish.

but again, he doesn't really seem to care much about murdering the fish to eat them, so, maybe he's not so progressive after all.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    this whole non-lethal thing is amusing since many milestones are things like, killing the sea emperor or dragon.
    You shouldn't assume that the Sea Emperor is a dangerous creature that you will need to kill.
    [/quote]
    Yes, no need to kill the sea emperor, I would look deeper into the story elements we know.
    You shouldn't assume that the Sea Emperor is a dangerous creature that you will need to kill.
    Yes, no need to kill the sea emperor, I would look deeper into the story elements we know.[/quote]

if there's even a 1% chance he coulc be our enemy, then we should take it as an absolute certainty..... he's dead.
    make it so we can cut the looming stingers from the ceiling. give us some way to defend our selves.
    You can use the propulsion / repulsion cannon on them, makes them very easy to deal with.
    Sonic/sonar gun that stuns creatures or makes them flee.
    The Stasis Rifle is essentially a stun gun. It keeps the creature in a suspended state of animation temporarily, same thing a stun gun would do. And whirlpool torpedos and the electrical defense upgrade on the Seamoth both make the creatures flee (though that might not be working properly on the whirlpool torpedos anymore, we need to check into that).
    you guys are adding more and more hostile creatures and you expect us to get by with non lethal measures? what happens when the stasis rifle and the propulsion gun run out of power? we're forced to carry tons of batteries or stay in a vehicle the entire time.
    There are lethal measures for killing creatures. You can stasis them and then knife them, hit them with stuff fired from the propulsion cannon, knock them into terrain with the repulsion cannon doing damage to them, electrocute them with the seamoth electrical defense upgrade, run into them with vehicles. In the next update there is a gas torpedo that will do damage. We aren't saying that the player can't kill creatures, we just don't want to make it easy for them, and we don't want to add a bunch of weapons whose sole purpose is to be used offensively to go around killing.

Also, you talk about being forced to carry around batteries, and yet in other games you have to carry around ammo for your machine guns. How is that different? Plus battery chargers are being added with the next update.

the electrical defense is not working well for me at all. Bone sharks often just shrug it off. If they do flee it can't e very far seems like they are always right there when I exit the sea moth. It's radius seems very small, if they aren't literally touching the sea moth is doesn't seem to work, which is problematic when they hit the hull of the seamoth and bounce off.

ok, so no proper weapons. But you can freeze something in place then stab it to death while it can't move? I though killing wasn't supposed to be easy? they can;t even fight back then. that's also pretty brutal.

ram them with the seamoth? that could do some serious damage to my baby. not to mention that doesn't really work on things that chase you, you just don't have the room to build momentum.

in most games, ammo is stored in a seperate location not in the general inventory with a few exceptions like resident evil, Minecraft and Ark. The differences are RE is based solely on survival and the inventory management is a part of that, you can even move items around to ensure they fit better also you can upgrade your inventory in most cases. In Minecraft and Ark items are stackable. None of this is the case in Subnautica.

granted, maybe the sea emperor is a nice bloke, and just wants to be pals. What about the reaper leviathan, the sea dragon, crab snakes, crab squids. etc. etc. etc.

I'm not saying make the game about killing, or make it super easy at all, but we really need some more practical defenses/weapons. The Gas torpedo seems like a step in the right direction, but what about personal defense. I guess theres' the Exo suit down the road, but that seems fairly end game and it also seems like a fairly easy way to deal with creatures since most don't seem to be able to damage it.

• BestUserNameEverBestUserNameEver USA Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217749Members
    A weapon that does do some damage like a some sort of harpoon gun or something like that. I think it would be cool.
  • Mini_GaaraMini_Gaara England Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217049Members
    The fact some people do not wish to kill creatures due to it being in some shape or form a sacrifice to them, such as damaging a ship, having to carry ammo/ batteries ect, is the most brutal and violent thing in my opinion.

If you are willing to kill something, you should be more than willing to sacrifice something for that. Humans have never been at the top of the food chain, weapons have. If you put a human and a lion in a cage together, with just their natural abilities, the lion will win 10 times out of 10.

This is a rare game that does not give you the " Bring the biggest weapon = invincible/kill everything " feeling, it gives you the whole " If I use these tools and tactics right, I can get out of here alive " feeling.
    Oh and regarding catching fish/killing them to survive, as soon as you get hanging fruit planted at your base or in your Cyclops ( I assume you can plant one in it ), you never NEED to kill another fish.
    Mini_Gaara wrote: »
    is the most brutal and violent thing in my opinion.

thank you.

I do not think people understood what I was saying, I in no way think we should have a killing weapon added, the most brutal thing I was saying is how people want to be able to kill things in the game without effort or a sacrifice.

Not sure why you disagreed Ace, I was agreeing with what you were originally saying lol.
  • AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    AceDynamo wrote: »
    misclick =P

Oh, I thought you had some change of heart about adding weapons for a moment there xD
  • ivan1menivan1men Russia Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217759Members