@Dev's , any more thought been given to stairs?

TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
months ago there were more than a few posts from people being annoyed at the ladders for moving up and down between rooms, a nice solution was to use tanks and hatches and just swim up or down I think probably a lot of people still do this, I was wondering id the dev's have given any thought to adding in either in room spiral stair cases, or some form of addon that we build onto the side of two stacked rooms that adds stairs to the side of a room ?

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited May 2016
    personally im not so sure about stairs. they'd have to design them cool otherwise itll be ugly i think. I like my idea of retractable ladders better personally :wink:

Retractable ladders
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    No stairs planned. Sorry.

But the current ladders were designed to be retractable and there are animations for them already, but just haven't been hooked in code yet.

YESSSSSS. thatll be awesomesauce!
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    No stairs planned. Sorry.

But the current ladders were designed to be retractable and there are animations for them already, but just haven't been hooked in code yet.

that's cool to know... here is another idea... if we build a ladder let it always start on the wall of a room/corridor... granted if you widen the opening between the corridor and the connecting tube to accomplish would be the only thing developers would need to do.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig you know something is wrong with your design when so many people avoid using something, so many youtube videos' so many off hand comments from people who all hate the ladders and just don't use them in favor of moving up and down a tank which just feels better.

Ladders , I cant quite describe it but for me they just feel so disjointed, sometimes in stacked bases you clikc a ladder and then think , wait did I actually go up or down, its not till you look around that your like oh shit im in the wrong room click ladder again.

Bad design, sorry!. hope you guys reconsider the stairs or maybe a futurama style suction tube. or something other than a ladder.
  • Sub_NaughtySub_Naughty Away from Reapers Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217316Members
    For me the current hatch system works perfectly for getting in and out so why not just look up/down and have a climb up/down hatches option? I definitely will be mentioning this in my Let's get thinking post! I think the ladders are cool but they do get in the way and the whole thing of not being sure if you've gone up or down is frustrating!
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    yeah, space is a bit of a rough spot when it comes to seabases. You can't NOT get hung up on ladders. The large aquariums, likewise, are just a tad too big too, and very hard to move around the exterior with the connector stairways and the need for a side-mounted hatch for access.

Ladders are an awkward nuisance for traversing up/down a connection level. They can't be rotated (neither can moonpools, hint hint). Due to the 'quality of the terrain', there are also very, very few level spots for seabase construction, so a sloped stairway connection would help conform a seabase to the seafloor rather than rely on the gaudy foundation platforms.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Am I wrong or did the devs just close the Trello card "Proper climbable ladders" as finished?
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    "finished" does not necessarily mean finished. Could just be the artwork, or high polly, low polly, anims.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    "finished" does not necessarily mean finished. Could just be the artwork, or high polly, low polly, anims.

all they need is to rig it with code to make it work